Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parking around Spotland 19:18 - Apr 14 with 3894 viewsArthurDaley

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10159921961093688&set=gm.598327034173456

A large VAT Dave

Parking around Spotland on 20:27 - Apr 14 with 3773 viewsRAFCBLUE

Anyone would think that there were local elections soon AD and that the councillors needed to prove their worth!

I'm always amazed when councils and their councillors forget the value of their local football club.

The average League 2 club brings circa £2m of economic activity per year into the town - not from home fans - but from visitors.

Pubs, restaurants, cafes, hotels - basically anything in the services industry do well out of having a local football club.

The EFL even do articles on the subject:
https://www.efl.com/news/2020/october/why-efl-clubs-are-more-important-than-ever

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Parking around Spotland on 20:58 - Apr 14 with 3690 viewsscooby

Won’t open for me, what’s it say?
Parking around Spotland on 21:08 - Apr 14 with 3670 viewsRAFCBLUE

Parking around Spotland on 20:58 - Apr 14 by scooby

Won’t open for me, what’s it say?

A couple of local councillors promising to start a consultation into a resident permit parking consultation for the streets around Spotland.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Parking around Spotland on 21:39 - Apr 14 with 3594 viewswindowsbug2002

Parking around Spotland on 21:08 - Apr 14 by RAFCBLUE

A couple of local councillors promising to start a consultation into a resident permit parking consultation for the streets around Spotland.

Try getting a salt bin for your street.
Sorry no money in the budget for that.....
Parking around Spotland on 22:09 - Apr 14 with 3527 viewsisitme

Parking around Spotland on 21:08 - Apr 14 by RAFCBLUE

The issue is not just match days. On an average day both sides of Willbutts Lane are full with district nurse, Icon sports, study centre and academy staff cars. I am not sure why those who are directly employed by the club do not use the club car park rather than leaving their car parked outside someone's house all day?

And whilst I get the sentiment about electioneering, no legal right to park etc it is a problem, although I suspect nothing will get done.
Parking around Spotland on 22:35 - Apr 14 with 3467 viewsRAFCBLUE

Parking around Spotland on 22:09 - Apr 14 by isitme

The issue is not just match days. On an average day both sides of Willbutts Lane are full with district nurse, Icon sports, study centre and academy staff cars. I am not sure why those who are directly employed by the club do not use the club car park rather than leaving their car parked outside someone's house all day?

And whilst I get the sentiment about electioneering, no legal right to park etc it is a problem, although I suspect nothing will get done.

I can see your perspective. I'm just not sure what the councillors will actually be able to do and achieve here despite promising a consultation.

If you take the row of Fat Pat's chippy and then about 20 terraced houses on Wilbutts Lane, each with at least one car, some maybe two there is more demand for space than supply for those homeowners and their visitors before you add in the community amenities element of visitors for appointments, classes etc.

This is the then same council that when The Church Inn fell into disrepair a number of years ago allowed a number of houses to be build on the former pub and bowling green site and across the junction from Churchill Street, without adequate parking. That made an already difficult problem worse.

The NHS centre, study centre and academy etc are all valid community offerings that are based at the club and only serve a benefit the local community. Including the football club and community trust there must be 150 people employed during the week using the ground, though they won't all be there at the same time.

I guess I'm just getting very old and sceptical about politics and politicians in general and the timing of the announcement a couple of weeks before local elections!

If they came out showing support to the club and the #UTDNFS campaign that would be a much bigger vote winner in my view.

Parking around Spotland on 00:44 - Apr 15 with 3352 viewsSandyman

This is an issue that has been raised on and off at Spotland and Falinge area ward meetings in the past. The Labour councillors in those times (particularly Cecile Biant) opposed this, as residents parking only areas were not party policy in this town. Seeing as "Two Votes" Rana and his fellow Labour councillors might face a fight with the Lib Dems in the ward, they clearly need a populist policy to wind people up with.

Just like the Smith Mafia (Norman, Cyril and honcho's) wound up residents over proposals for Dale to use Denehurst Park as a training facility in the 1990's for the Lib Dems. That was a NIMBY moment!

As a constituent, I have spoken to Cllr. F. Rana about the situation at the town's proud football league club over the past 12 months, a club in the ward he represents. He didn't do much. Not a peep from any councillor about UTDNFS in the ward.

The Rana's were happy to pose with a defibrillator at the ground a few months back to show themselves in a good light. The irony of the term "political football" is obvious.

Elections will be over after 5th May and the politicians will be silent, as usual.
Parking around Spotland on 07:02 - Apr 15 with 3229 viewsSuddenLad

Parking around Spotland on 00:44 - Apr 15 by Sandyman

This is an issue that has been raised on and off at Spotland and Falinge area ward meetings in the past. The Labour councillors in those times (particularly Cecile Biant) opposed this, as residents parking only areas were not party policy in this town. Seeing as "Two Votes" Rana and his fellow Labour councillors might face a fight with the Lib Dems in the ward, they clearly need a populist policy to wind people up with.

Just like the Smith Mafia (Norman, Cyril and honcho's) wound up residents over proposals for Dale to use Denehurst Park as a training facility in the 1990's for the Lib Dems. That was a NIMBY moment!

As a constituent, I have spoken to Cllr. F. Rana about the situation at the town's proud football league club over the past 12 months, a club in the ward he represents. He didn't do much. Not a peep from any councillor about UTDNFS in the ward.

The Rana's were happy to pose with a defibrillator at the ground a few months back to show themselves in a good light. The irony of the term "political football" is obvious.

Elections will be over after 5th May and the politicians will be silent, as usual.

The council were happy enough to impose 'resident only' permit parking all the way around College Bank and the various access roads, without a peep to residents. Each flat was allowed 1 permit for a residents car and 1 'temporary' permit for a visitor, but only on production of valid insurance documents.

That limited the issuance of permits !!

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Parking around Spotland on 07:35 - Apr 15 with 3206 viewsColDale

As someone who comes under the area that they are looking at, I have very real concerns that this is simply being targeted at the Football Club with the residents only parking kicking in on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings. As mentioned further up, you could raise issues with the NHS, the Willbutts Lane chippy or even Rochdale Hornets. I know I often struggle to park outside my house due to visitors the Little Day Spa on Edenfield Road. No one wants to see local business like these affected which it undoubtedly would do. But if those issues are ignored and we simply see restrictions around our matches, then we know its targeted at the Football Club at a time when we need all the support locally that we can get. If you are local, please contact the prospective councillors in the area and let them know how you feel.
Parking around Spotland on 08:41 - Apr 15 with 3133 viewsRAFCBLUE

Parking around Spotland on 07:35 - Apr 15 by ColDale

As someone who comes under the area that they are looking at, I have very real concerns that this is simply being targeted at the Football Club with the residents only parking kicking in on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings. As mentioned further up, you could raise issues with the NHS, the Willbutts Lane chippy or even Rochdale Hornets. I know I often struggle to park outside my house due to visitors the Little Day Spa on Edenfield Road. No one wants to see local business like these affected which it undoubtedly would do. But if those issues are ignored and we simply see restrictions around our matches, then we know its targeted at the Football Club at a time when we need all the support locally that we can get. If you are local, please contact the prospective councillors in the area and let them know how you feel.

The football ground only has 23 league games a year plus a few cup games. Miminal use (say 27 days in a 365 day year?)

If enacted, all that will happen is the problem gets transferred to other streets and neighbourhoods in the locality.

Away fans, who use the Wilbutts most, won't know or respect the rules so it won't solve the problem if they still park there contrary to any rules that might be in place.

When we play Oldham, Bradford etc there are 3,000 people in that stand so they should probably have to close the road off anyway as a safety consideration to protect pedestrians.

As far as I am aware there are supposed to be no traffic movements for 15 minutes after matches - as is announced in the ground - so surely that will also need to apply to Willbutts Lane and the vicinity.

Except that would then penalise the local residents on Saturdays/Tuesday and vote seeking councillors are looking to vote for them so they are not going to suggest that.

Parking around Spotland on 09:02 - Apr 15 with 3095 viewsisitme

It is basic electioneering and nothing will come of it. As has been mentioned the current and prospective councillors will pose for pictures and attempt to take credit, but in the long run what do they actually do? Their silence regarding the hositle takeover of the club has been deafening.

Most of the issues regarding parking for residents are 8-5.30 ish on a weekday, which could be solved be staff who work in parts of the Willbutts Lane stand parking in the club car park and not on Willbutts Lane and especially not parked outside of someone's house all day. This does not need a resident's permit scheme to solve.
Parking around Spotland on 09:24 - Apr 15 with 3058 viewsSuddenLad

Parking around Spotland on 09:02 - Apr 15 by isitme

It is basic electioneering and nothing will come of it. As has been mentioned the current and prospective councillors will pose for pictures and attempt to take credit, but in the long run what do they actually do? Their silence regarding the hositle takeover of the club has been deafening.

Most of the issues regarding parking for residents are 8-5.30 ish on a weekday, which could be solved be staff who work in parts of the Willbutts Lane stand parking in the club car park and not on Willbutts Lane and especially not parked outside of someone's house all day. This does not need a resident's permit scheme to solve.

At my last address, in Falinge,near to the park, car park spaces were scarce. The visitors to the park and the local church had little regard for residents,many parking irresponsibly, and the council eventually slapped double yellow lines in the worst affected area,creating a bigger problem than existed before,

Local councillors were on to it in a flash,having been prodded into action by the local Asian community.

They posed for photographs, they knocked on doors, assured residents that they would seek to implement a residents only parking scheme to alleviate the problems.

Result: RMBC flatly refused to consider the idea, because (a) it was far too costly to implement (erecting signs, local legislation etc...) and (b) there were insufficient resources to enforce it.

My instinct tells me that this campaign will fade way into nothing.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Parking around Spotland on 09:54 - Apr 15 with 3011 viewskel

Parking around Spotland on 09:02 - Apr 15 by isitme

I’d agree with that about them using the club car park. Willbutts Lane during the week is an accident waiting to happen and lots of school kids use it on their way to Oulder Hill. Chuck in the fact people use it as a rat run (which people always increase their speed whilst doing) to avoid the Sandy Lane lights and it’s bloody dangerous.
Parking around Spotland on 10:55 - Apr 15 with 2908 viewsisitme

Parking around Spotland on 09:54 - Apr 15 by kel

I’d agree with that about them using the club car park. Willbutts Lane during the week is an accident waiting to happen and lots of school kids use it on their way to Oulder Hill. Chuck in the fact people use it as a rat run (which people always increase their speed whilst doing) to avoid the Sandy Lane lights and it’s bloody dangerous.

I agree about the safety aspect as well. With double parking on both sides and the speed of some of the drivers it's an accident waiting to happen.

If the candidates want a photo opportunity Denehurst Park was an absolute mess this morning. The children's play area was littered with litter. Maybe they could organise a litter pick?
Parking around Spotland on 11:26 - Apr 15 with 2848 viewsonedalefan

Just a warning, be careful where you park on Monday. Been ticketed for parking next to Meanwood school before as council say signage regarding parking restrictions are still in operation on a bank holiday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024