Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night shows where we are as a club 09:19 - Apr 27 with 1690 viewshectorshouse

Firstly I thoroughly enjoyed an exciting game of football last night, initially I was disappointed we didn't win but it's also a game we could have lost at the end. For 60 minutes we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the division and were comfortably ahead, even if 3-0 flattered us. The game changed with the substitutes Scott Parker could bring on, in particular Robbie Brady & Keiffer Moore. To be fair to Russel Martin we had no one of that calibre on the bench. That coupled with the fact the Obafemi & Piroe were knackered meant that there was no out ball and no way to relieve the pressure, the ball just kept coming back. A draw on reflection was probably a fair result but it shows the large gap in squad depth between us and the teams at the top. Our starting 11 is a match for most if not all teams in the division, however we do not have a squad deep enough to compete at the top of the table . This will not change as the business model being pursued by our owners is for the club to be financially self sufficient, this will mean that every year we will sell our best player (Piroe probably sold in the Summer) and only part of this income will be reinvested in the squad as the rest will be used to cover expenses etc. This will mean that we cannot buy a squad as good or as deep as Bournemouth's and realistically we will be a mid table Championship club that once every few years flirts with the playoffs, or relegation or a cup run. This is where we are as I see it. You can say this is a lack of ambition but actually I see it as a way to ensure we have a football club in 20 years time that I can take my grandkids & great grandkids to. I first went to the Vetch in 1973 and for the majority of the time I have followed the Swans I would have been thrilled to see us in the Championship (or Div 2 as was). There is more to football than the Premier League and watching the Swans play good football in an exciting game (like last night) knowing we are financially secure, is fine by me.
Spending money doesn't guarantee success (look at Everton) but it can rob a city of its football club (Macclesfield, Bury etc) so I for one am happy with the current approach and look forward to supporting the Swans for many years to come.
Last night shows where we are as a club on 09:29 - Apr 27 with 1659 viewsKeithHaynes

That’s one hell of a post.
Nice one 👏

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Last night shows where we are as a club on 09:37 - Apr 27 with 1641 viewsSTID2017

Great post.
We don't have the strength in depth, although not sure why Burns and Bennett weren't on the bench last night.
Also thought the lad from Shrewsbury was a full back ?
Great game, although for me the ref and the officials missed a hell of a lot

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Last night shows where we are as a club on 11:17 - Apr 27 with 1559 viewscontroversial_jack

It was entertaining, but that came from Bournemouth not us.Apart from 2 pieces of magic from Piroe
Last night shows where we are as a club on 13:36 - Apr 27 with 1490 viewsSTID2017

Last night shows where we are as a club on 11:17 - Apr 27 by controversial_jack

It was entertaining, but that came from Bournemouth not us.Apart from 2 pieces of magic from Piroe

The third goal was almost a carbon copy of our winner at Preston 1981.
The pass to Obafemi, he takes it on, passes to Christie, who scores

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:11 - Apr 27 with 1474 viewsRichardO

Last night shows where we are as a club on 11:17 - Apr 27 by controversial_jack

Going 3 nil up not entertaining?
Minutes before their second Obefemi had a break away one on one with their defence, a more experience attacker would have as Obefemi did drive pass the defender but then as the long legged defender caught up slow it down and then drive again instead of turning into the two defenders.
I Don't blame Obefemi he is young and he has been really good and entertaining this season and has come on in his teamwork.
What I do find unforgivable is lack of defensive cover on the bench.
Please note it will only be unforgivable until the next game we win or have a creditable draw.
Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:17 - Apr 27 with 1471 viewsSTID2017

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:11 - Apr 27 by RichardO

Going 3 nil up not entertaining?
Minutes before their second Obefemi had a break away one on one with their defence, a more experience attacker would have as Obefemi did drive pass the defender but then as the long legged defender caught up slow it down and then drive again instead of turning into the two defenders.
I Don't blame Obefemi he is young and he has been really good and entertaining this season and has come on in his teamwork.
What I do find unforgivable is lack of defensive cover on the bench.
Please note it will only be unforgivable until the next game we win or have a creditable draw.

I concur young Richard.
Can't beat a good education eh ?

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:24 - Apr 27 with 1467 viewsRichardO

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:17 - Apr 27 by STID2017

I concur young Richard.
Can't beat a good education eh ?

Not sure about the good education, just tried to keep up with my peers doing the littlest work possible allowing me to have a kick about and play sport when ever I could.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 16:59]
Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:25 - Apr 27 with 1464 viewsSTID2017

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:24 - Apr 27 by RichardO

Not sure about the good education, just tried to keep up with my peers doing the littlest work possible allowing me to have a kick about and play sport when ever I could.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 16:59]

Sounds good 👍👍

Login to get fewer ads

Last night shows where we are as a club on 15:00 - Apr 27 with 1427 viewsReslovenSwan1

Last night shows where we are as a club on 14:25 - Apr 27 by STID2017

Sounds good 👍👍

Martin is not properly using the resources at his disposal.

Problem 1) - Piroe and Obafemi were knackered

Solution . Bring on Joseph after 70 minutes not 90+3.

Problem.2) Bournemouth go direct and high

Solution - Have Bennett and Burns on the bench.

Problem 3) Cabango goes off

Solution - Have Bennent and Burns on the bench

Problem 4) Kiefer's flying eblow

Solution Flynn Downes rolls around Chico style "Make the referee make a decision".

Martin is not learning lessons and treating each game as a development exercise for "his young men" . He has Congreave and Cotterill on the bench with Burns and Bennett in the stand. " The young men must suffer and develop. It not just about 3 points" he might argue.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Last night shows where we are as a club on 15:18 - Apr 27 with 1416 viewsChief

Last night shows where we are as a club on 15:00 - Apr 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Solution Flynn Downes rolls around Chico style "Make the referee make a decision".

Martin is not learning lessons and treating each game as a development exercise for "his young men" . He has Congreave and Cotterill on the bench with Burns and Bennett in the stand. " The young men must suffer and develop. It not just about 3 points" he might argue.

See, you are capable of rational thought.

You should display it more often.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Last night shows where we are as a club on 16:16 - Apr 27 with 1379 viewsWhiterockin

With Burns and Bennett not getting near the bench are there issues between them and the club.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:40 - Apr 27 with 1310 viewsReslovenSwan1

Last night shows where we are as a club on 16:16 - Apr 27 by Whiterockin

With Burns and Bennett not getting near the bench are there issues between them and the club.

Issues or no issues they take a weekly wage. I had issues on occasions but never once threw a sickie or declined to do my job.

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:43 - Apr 27 with 1306 viewsChief

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:40 - Apr 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Issues or no issues they take a weekly wage. I had issues on occasions but never once threw a sickie or declined to do my job.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that Bennett or Burns have gone on strike.

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:46 - Apr 27 with 1298 viewsmagicdaps10

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:40 - Apr 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Football and the real world.... 😂

Manager gets sacked for failure in the real world... Walks away with nothing.

Manager if a football team gets sacked for failure... Walks away with a pay out.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Last night shows where we are as a club on 18:16 - Apr 27 with 1266 viewsWhiterockin

Last night shows where we are as a club on 17:43 - Apr 27 by Chief

I don't think anyone's suggesting that Bennett or Burns have gone on strike.

I didn't mean that, there were issues with Piroe and Obafemi earlier in the season and neither played.

Edit
And Fulton.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 18:16]

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Last night shows where we are as a club on 18:21 - Apr 27 with 1260 viewsChief

Last night shows where we are as a club on 18:16 - Apr 27 by Whiterockin

I didn't mean that, there were issues with Piroe and Obafemi earlier in the season and neither played.

Edit
And Fulton.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 18:16]

Yea Resloven alluded to it not you

Last night shows where we are as a club on 19:44 - Apr 27 with 1198 viewsReslovenSwan1

Last night shows where we are as a club on 18:21 - Apr 27 by Chief

Yea Resloven alluded to it not you

Players are out of contract. Players are unhappy and not being regulars, Players are not happy playing out of position. Players do not like the managers /coach players want more bonuses, players. Player do not like the plying style. Issues are issues. Bennett is 32 and knows the ropes.

Horses for course 3-0 with 30 to go. Cabango hobbling. Benno can head the ball. 4 points down the pan with a 0-6 goal difference from Reading and Bournemouth in the final thirds. I have no coaching badges but common sense to spare.

Last night shows where we are as a club on 22:21 - Apr 27 with 1138 viewsSTID2017

Last night shows where we are as a club on 19:44 - Apr 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Players are out of contract. Players are unhappy and not being regulars, Players are not happy playing out of position. Players do not like the managers /coach players want more bonuses, players. Player do not like the plying style. Issues are issues. Bennett is 32 and knows the ropes.

Horses for course 3-0 with 30 to go. Cabango hobbling. Benno can head the ball. 4 points down the pan with a 0-6 goal difference from Reading and Bournemouth in the final thirds. I have no coaching badges but common sense to spare.

I think I need an interpreter to explain what that post is about ?
Sounds more like one of Perch's ramblings.
9 matches unbeaten mind ?
Imagine what it would say if we had lost those 9 ?

Last night shows where we are as a club on 22:31 - Apr 27 with 1129 viewsLorax

Last night shows where we are as a club on 22:21 - Apr 27 by STID2017

I think I need an interpreter to explain what that post is about ?
Sounds more like one of Perch's ramblings.
9 matches unbeaten mind ?
Imagine what it would say if we had lost those 9 ?

I find myself agreeing with him. We have chucked away a 3 goal lead twice in 2 games, both in around 30 minutes.

OK it happens now and then but we are regularly gifting the oppo goals. A 3 goal lead with 30 left, we should be able to see that out but we are weak of mind and body in the latter stages of games.
Last night shows where we are as a club on 23:11 - Apr 27 with 1111 viewsBadlands

Burns?
No thanks. But, Ogbeta must be given game time.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 23:12]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Last night shows where we are as a club on 23:19 - Apr 27 with 1103 viewsmax936

Last night shows where we are as a club on 23:11 - Apr 27 by Badlands

Burns?
No thanks. But, Ogbeta must be given game time.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 23:12]

Burns is 18/19 mind. Dear Me.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Last night shows where we are as a club on 00:12 - Apr 28 with 1076 viewsRichardO

Our defence is slow and lacking in depth, it has been supplemented by loan players when our up and coming player have been sold on over the years, this season the loan players have not been utilised correctly.
We are reluctant to press forward from defence in case we get caught with the ball over the top meaning with our high press, Obefemi and our wingbacks have to cover too much ground at the intensity required to provide effective attacking and defensive play over the 90 minutes and eventually tire and become ineffective. With more effective defense these players don't need to do so much work.
Top teams have pace and strength in there defence meaning the press high reduces the ground the midfield have to cover.
If you can replace the tired players with similar players you may be able to keep up the intensity within the team, against Reading and Bournemouth we didn't replace the tired players with similar players which were on the bench and against Bournemouth we didn't have adequate cover on bench to replace an injured player in a pivotal role given the oppositions tactics
Next season we need some strong, uncompromising,mobile defensive and midfield players who won't let us be intimated and push into defending too deep, to complement our forwards then maybe we will be able to have the team us fans desire.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 7:50]
Last night shows where we are as a club on 07:14 - Apr 28 with 1030 viewsChief

Last night shows where we are as a club on 19:44 - Apr 27 by ReslovenSwan1

I'll repeat:

No one's saying Bennett etc are refusing to play.

Well apart from you alluding to it further up the thread.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024