Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph outtttttttt 17:15 - Apr 30 with 3594 viewsButty101

So rubbish!

I had a ticket today and didn’t go. Genuinely couldn’t be bothered.

Jwp if a mid table team come in for you then take the chance and go. No point wasting your career at saints

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Ralph outtttttttt on 12:40 - May 1 with 1202 viewsSaintsforeverj

Wolves are having the same problems. They are have a better points tally, but they have been falling down the league with boos yesterday. Everyone said their manager was great. They lost 3 nil yesterday and haven't won in a while.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Ralph outtttttttt on 09:05 - May 4 with 1059 viewssaint901

I'll add my views just to express them.

The clubs financial situation is essentially £100m in debt and money invested is almost certainly going to go toward that mountain in the first instance because otherwise the FFP rules mean that buying players is beyond us.

At best we might get one or two experienced PL players (Aarons from Norwich?) and a bunch of Championship hopefuls who are always a risky investment.

With this bunch, the manager - RH or ANO - has to keep us in the PL. For the next two/three seasons the ambition is unlikely to be more than that.

For any manager or player that has to be disheartening. The younger players will think that playing in the PL is the peak of a career but the older players know that being a mediocre also ran in a league which outside the best three or four clubs, is also mediocre, is just marking time, collecting the salary and not getting injured.

The manager also knows that if his team has a purple patch he is hailed for achieving great things on a shoe string. When we have a poor run, he is a befuddled tactician with no idea. There seems to be no middle ground.

In my view, RH is using these last few games to experiment with different formations of the same players in the hope (or expectation) of finding a formula that works. This also keeps the concentration of the players high and brings some motivation to the games.

The issue is that too many players are out of form at the same time or in Broja's case have a chance to go "home" to a team that needs a target man. He does not want to get injured.

The malaise in the club starts with the business plan which until it finds stability and frees up funds for players will seep down into the coaching and playing staff. A manager on his own, no matter how good, is not going to turn this around.

Does anybody think that any of the managers in the PL outside Pep and Klopp would get more from this squad? Look around you. Everton and Burnley have a new manager bounce (both delayed) and they have something real to play for. Most of the others are in win one, lose one mode.

By any comparison RH is no worse (or better) than perhaps 15 PL managers and the squad is no better (or worse) than perhaps 15 teams and two wins in the next games sees us with a top half finish and a "good" season.
Ralph outtttttttt on 10:36 - May 4 with 1005 viewssaintwizzler

Ralph outtttttttt on 09:05 - May 4 by saint901

The clubs financial situation is essentially £100m in debt and money invested is almost certainly going to go toward that mountain in the first instance because otherwise the FFP rules mean that buying players is beyond us.

At best we might get one or two experienced PL players (Aarons from Norwich?) and a bunch of Championship hopefuls who are always a risky investment.

With this bunch, the manager - RH or ANO - has to keep us in the PL. For the next two/three seasons the ambition is unlikely to be more than that.

For any manager or player that has to be disheartening. The younger players will think that playing in the PL is the peak of a career but the older players know that being a mediocre also ran in a league which outside the best three or four clubs, is also mediocre, is just marking time, collecting the salary and not getting injured.

The manager also knows that if his team has a purple patch he is hailed for achieving great things on a shoe string. When we have a poor run, he is a befuddled tactician with no idea. There seems to be no middle ground.

In my view, RH is using these last few games to experiment with different formations of the same players in the hope (or expectation) of finding a formula that works. This also keeps the concentration of the players high and brings some motivation to the games.

The issue is that too many players are out of form at the same time or in Broja's case have a chance to go "home" to a team that needs a target man. He does not want to get injured.

The malaise in the club starts with the business plan which until it finds stability and frees up funds for players will seep down into the coaching and playing staff. A manager on his own, no matter how good, is not going to turn this around.

Does anybody think that any of the managers in the PL outside Pep and Klopp would get more from this squad? Look around you. Everton and Burnley have a new manager bounce (both delayed) and they have something real to play for. Most of the others are in win one, lose one mode.

By any comparison RH is no worse (or better) than perhaps 15 PL managers and the squad is no better (or worse) than perhaps 15 teams and two wins in the next games sees us with a top half finish and a "good" season.

First things first he needs to keep us in the league…
Avoiding defeat on Saturday would go a long way to doing this.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Ralph outtttttttt on 10:43 - May 4 with 1003 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph outtttttttt on 09:05 - May 4 by saint901

Do i think other managers in the league would do better than Ralph with this crop of players?

Yes absolutely I do, i've been a fan of Thomas Frank for seasons and think he'd be a far, far better manager than Ralph, but also i'd take any manager who could organise a defence right now.

Despite what many of our fans think we don't have a terrible squad, it's easily mid table in comparison to other teams in the league.

Our weaknesses are mostly in midfield in my opinion, we ship too many goals because we're light in the midfield, exposing the defence which destroy's their confidence.

We also seriously lack mentality, we give up very easily, which is massively down to Ralph refusing to change things when they don't work.

The idea that Ralph is somehow special or great is such a weird cultish view our fans have, there's almost nothing to prove it, we've been beaten 9-0 twice under him, shipped 60+ goals a season and aside from two periods where we carried by exceptional individual performances (Ings and Broja) have lost more than I can remember in a long time.
Ralph outtttttttt on 11:14 - May 4 with 971 viewssaint901

Ralph outtttttttt on 10:43 - May 4 by franniesTache

Do i think other managers in the league would do better than Ralph with this crop of players?

Yes absolutely I do, i've been a fan of Thomas Frank for seasons and think he'd be a far, far better manager than Ralph, but also i'd take any manager who could organise a defence right now.

Despite what many of our fans think we don't have a terrible squad, it's easily mid table in comparison to other teams in the league.

Our weaknesses are mostly in midfield in my opinion, we ship too many goals because we're light in the midfield, exposing the defence which destroy's their confidence.

We also seriously lack mentality, we give up very easily, which is massively down to Ralph refusing to change things when they don't work.

The idea that Ralph is somehow special or great is such a weird cultish view our fans have, there's almost nothing to prove it, we've been beaten 9-0 twice under him, shipped 60+ goals a season and aside from two periods where we carried by exceptional individual performances (Ings and Broja) have lost more than I can remember in a long time.

I'd have to disagree that another manager would get more from the squad. It may be the case that we get a new manager bounce and win a few games but beyond that what tactics or formation might bring out more in the players?

The high press version we play pulls the midfield high up the pitch to squeeze the opposition of space. The hope is that a long ball clearance is easily dealt with. Part of the problem there is that Bednarek (lack of pace) and Salisu (lack of form) are not willing to join the press and by holding back, they create space for opposition players. You see this time and again and in particular Chelsea put a player in that gap and absolutely did for us.

You stop that by playing a high defensive line and to do that you need pace. the only defender with pace we have is perhaps KWP. He and the other full back tho are told to get forward as the midfield we have is told to play narrow - JWP/Ely/SA sitting in front of Romeu and joining the press.

If we abandon that high block and go for a low block and sit a line of 5 in front of a line of 4 and invite teams onto us, even if we could defend, our attacking options are limited. Broja is not a single striker holding the ball up. His game is to get the ball and move quickly toward goal. With no support he's easy pickings. Adams is not a forward to break with frightening pace. (AA is but chooses the wrong positions).

A low block needs discipline. I'm sorry to say that Salisu cannot do that for a whole 90 minutes. Tino (hope he recovers well) is also better going forward than defending. We don't have the players for the low block and no new manager can fix it.

The press/high block brought us success and suits us and whilst I think Romeu is in the twilight of his career (and what I would give for Rice or Phillips) we are going to need a holding misfield player next season. Regardless a new manager is not going to change anything, including results, consistently with the squad as is.

We all know that we need a CB. We also need a box to box midfield player - a water carrier to win the ball and give it to those who can play a bit - and a finisher.

And 9-0? I must have forgotten because nobody has mentioned it for at least an hour.
Ralph outtttttttt on 11:50 - May 4 with 933 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph outtttttttt on 11:14 - May 4 by saint901

I'd have to disagree that another manager would get more from the squad. It may be the case that we get a new manager bounce and win a few games but beyond that what tactics or formation might bring out more in the players?

The high press version we play pulls the midfield high up the pitch to squeeze the opposition of space. The hope is that a long ball clearance is easily dealt with. Part of the problem there is that Bednarek (lack of pace) and Salisu (lack of form) are not willing to join the press and by holding back, they create space for opposition players. You see this time and again and in particular Chelsea put a player in that gap and absolutely did for us.

You stop that by playing a high defensive line and to do that you need pace. the only defender with pace we have is perhaps KWP. He and the other full back tho are told to get forward as the midfield we have is told to play narrow - JWP/Ely/SA sitting in front of Romeu and joining the press.

If we abandon that high block and go for a low block and sit a line of 5 in front of a line of 4 and invite teams onto us, even if we could defend, our attacking options are limited. Broja is not a single striker holding the ball up. His game is to get the ball and move quickly toward goal. With no support he's easy pickings. Adams is not a forward to break with frightening pace. (AA is but chooses the wrong positions).

A low block needs discipline. I'm sorry to say that Salisu cannot do that for a whole 90 minutes. Tino (hope he recovers well) is also better going forward than defending. We don't have the players for the low block and no new manager can fix it.

The press/high block brought us success and suits us and whilst I think Romeu is in the twilight of his career (and what I would give for Rice or Phillips) we are going to need a holding misfield player next season. Regardless a new manager is not going to change anything, including results, consistently with the squad as is.

We all know that we need a CB. We also need a box to box midfield player - a water carrier to win the ball and give it to those who can play a bit - and a finisher.

And 9-0? I must have forgotten because nobody has mentioned it for at least an hour.

You honestly think no other manager except for Pep or Klopp could get this squad to finish an average of 15th?

You honestly think no other manager except for Pep or Klopp could stop this squad from shipping 60+ goals a season?

I'm genuinely interested why you think that? Because I see nothing special in Ralph at all, he's bang average, and I see a side stagnating and repeating the same mistakes and patterns season after season, with no notable improvement (and the stats and league positions show the same).
Ralph outtttttttt on 12:08 - May 4 with 909 viewsPaleRider

For me the key question is: "Can we progress under Ralph?". With the current coaching structure, the answer, for me, is no. If we improve the coaching then maybe yes.

So the key decision in the summer is what happens with the coaching team?
Ralph outtttttttt on 12:41 - May 4 with 883 viewssaint901

Ralph outtttttttt on 11:50 - May 4 by franniesTache

You honestly think no other manager except for Pep or Klopp could get this squad to finish an average of 15th?

You honestly think no other manager except for Pep or Klopp could stop this squad from shipping 60+ goals a season?

I'm genuinely interested why you think that? Because I see nothing special in Ralph at all, he's bang average, and I see a side stagnating and repeating the same mistakes and patterns season after season, with no notable improvement (and the stats and league positions show the same).

I would say that competing for the 15th place in the league is a fair measure for this squad.

In terms of goals conceded, how many of those are down to individual error?

McCarthy alone might be at fault for half a dozen, Salisu perhaps a few more. In terms of goals against we are 4th best/worst? There are 5 other teams with similar goals against. So 9 out of 20 teams are in a similar deficit. Take out say 5 or 6 goals against us caused by individual error and we are again middle of the pack.

It's not a fair comparison to match us to say Spurs, Leicester, Wolves this season, who are all top half teams. They have more players of quality than we do. How many of our players would make the team at Spurs or Arsenal? One perhaps two if KWP is available?

So with this squad, in this league, at this time RH is also middle of the pack.

We're never going to recruit a manager who will bring a new dimension to the squad unless or until he has a budget and a five plan. Koeman thought he had that and then had the rug pulled from his feet. Poch probably the same and he took that team as far as the budget allowed.

Until we have a properly funded plan to be a consistent top half team with a top half squad, RH is as good as it gets.
Login to get fewer ads

Ralph outtttttttt on 12:48 - May 4 with 878 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph outtttttttt on 12:41 - May 4 by saint901

I would say that competing for the 15th place in the league is a fair measure for this squad.

In terms of goals conceded, how many of those are down to individual error?

McCarthy alone might be at fault for half a dozen, Salisu perhaps a few more. In terms of goals against we are 4th best/worst? There are 5 other teams with similar goals against. So 9 out of 20 teams are in a similar deficit. Take out say 5 or 6 goals against us caused by individual error and we are again middle of the pack.

It's not a fair comparison to match us to say Spurs, Leicester, Wolves this season, who are all top half teams. They have more players of quality than we do. How many of our players would make the team at Spurs or Arsenal? One perhaps two if KWP is available?

So with this squad, in this league, at this time RH is also middle of the pack.

We're never going to recruit a manager who will bring a new dimension to the squad unless or until he has a budget and a five plan. Koeman thought he had that and then had the rug pulled from his feet. Poch probably the same and he took that team as far as the budget allowed.

Until we have a properly funded plan to be a consistent top half team with a top half squad, RH is as good as it gets.

You think consistently conceding more goals than we have in any premier league season bar the one we went down - 60+ - is because of individual errors and not management???

Jesus the cult of Ralph is incredible.
Ralph outtttttttt on 14:31 - May 4 with 774 viewsElijahK

Ralph outtttttttt on 12:48 - May 4 by franniesTache

You think consistently conceding more goals than we have in any premier league season bar the one we went down - 60+ - is because of individual errors and not management???

Ok but that’s also due to the gap being created in todays football due to money, and investment, which is only getting bigger and bigger as time goes on.

As yeah we have had some poor results/runs under Ralph, but we’ve also had some great ones, like actually getting far in cups again, going top of the league for the first time ever, challenging the top teams once again and showing that we can give any of them a run for their money. But when you combine that with the things he’s done poorly, they basically level each other out.

Hence why we’ve been soo poor against teams below us this season (with us only getting over 3 points against Leeds), but then have made up for that with the fact that we’ve gotten just as many/more points against all of the top 7 (bar Chelsea and maybe Liverpool) this season. As yeah we’ve been really poor at the back, but we’re within 4 goals conceded of 4 other teams (which includes Man U, Newcastle and Leicester) as well as 3 other teams having a worse goal conceded record than us, so we’re in the lower half of the table for that, but aren’t miles off of the top half. And for goals for, we’re 10/11th (as we’ve scored the same as Brentford) so are yet again in the lower midtable area.

As run wise, well we’ve had an amazing run this season (around December to Feb/March time) and a rubbish one (from March to now). As in the great one, we’ve had 8 wins, 6 draws and just 2 losses, but in the poor run, we’ve had 7 looses, 2 draws and 1 win. So that gives you overall 9 wins, 8 draws and 9 losses which is exactly the sort of average you’d expect from us. So yet again the poor run levels out the great one.

As basically everything indicated that this season we’ve been performing at where we currently are, and when you look at our squad value, wages and available money to spend, we’re basically where we should be. As if we look at the table for our wages, we’re 14th, for overall NET spend, we’re 17th for the last 10 years, and 16th for the last 5, and for squad value, we’re 14th.

So all these positions suggest on average we should be 14.75th, aka 15th, which is exactly where we currently are, and are probably gonna finish. So that in itself tells us that Ralph ain’t as special as some make him out to be, but at the same time time he’s certainly not as poor as others make himself out to be. As whatever he does amazingly, he ruins with something soo poor, and vice versa. Hence why there is no point in sacking him, as we’re exactly where the funding he gets, says we should be, and therefore he ain’t overachieving (so certainly should’ve be seen as some saints legend or such) but he’s not underachieving ether (so certainly shouldn’t be sacked).

As in the end, I’ve proven above that where we currently are, is where we should be. And that unlike Man U, we should be content with how it’s gone, as Man U are a perfect example of a team that has underachieved when looking at the resources they’ve got etc, and why it makes more sense for them to be calling for their managers head etc (although I do think that the players have been poor there as well). But here at Southampton, we’re where we should be, and until we get more money/financial resources, then we won’t be realistically finishing much higher, hence why not many mangers would make that major of a difference hence why there’s no point in sacking Ralph, as he’s doing what he should be doing, and we’re almost certainly not gonna do much better under any manager that we can realistically get.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 14:34]

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Ralph outtttttttt on 14:44 - May 4 with 755 viewssaint901

Ralph outtttttttt on 12:48 - May 4 by franniesTache

I don't think I said that with respect you are interpreting my comments as coming from a rabid RH supporter.

I'm not. He makes plenty of errors in my view. Experimenting with new formations late in the season: sticking with McCarthy too long: going missing when we need him on the touchline: poor teams in cup games.

But look around. There is not a manager in the PL who would either come to us or if they did, they would be from teams around or below us. Given that the squad quality of the mid table teams is about the same, what does that gain us?

I am saying that the club needs a strategy - be that buy young and develop or buy cheap and develop - and until we have that the manager works with what he has.

I think be careful what you wish for.
Ralph outtttttttt on 15:02 - May 4 with 744 viewsMytchettSaint

Ralph outtttttttt on 14:44 - May 4 by saint901

I don't think I said that with respect you are interpreting my comments as coming from a rabid RH supporter.

I'm not. He makes plenty of errors in my view. Experimenting with new formations late in the season: sticking with McCarthy too long: going missing when we need him on the touchline: poor teams in cup games.

But look around. There is not a manager in the PL who would either come to us or if they did, they would be from teams around or below us. Given that the squad quality of the mid table teams is about the same, what does that gain us?

I am saying that the club needs a strategy - be that buy young and develop or buy cheap and develop - and until we have that the manager works with what he has.

Interesting point about buying cheap and developing talents.

Given one of his supposed abilities is being able to grow and develop these young players you have to ask yourself what’s going on then.

Broja came to us from Chelsea and started well, then his form drops off a cliff… it could be he wants to leave?

Livramento, going great guns from the off, then his form wobbles…it could just be that he got tired with the amount of playing time before he got injured…

Adam Armstrong, started well enough at Everton, winner at home against Villa way back when…. But it could be he’s not good enough?

Peraud, looks good enough to be starting LB to me. Square peg, square hole sort of scenario. Maybe KWP is a better left back than he’ll ever be….

One thing I will say, Ralph sure as sh-t ain’t with us for his tactical reading of games. Very much a wait until it’s happened type of manager.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 15:04]

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Ralph outtttttttt on 15:10 - May 4 with 727 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph outtttttttt on 14:44 - May 4 by saint901

There's also not a team in the league that concedes as many goals as us, don't get me wrong at times i've loved watching us play under Ralph but we concede too many goals, and if we keep doing it the end result will be relegation.

We've given Ralph time now, we've allowed him to build his own squad, and we're still shipping 60+ goals a season.

Surely that leaves one factor? The manager. He's had his chance, time to move on and try someone else, because i'm positive another manager can stop us leaking goals.
Ralph outtttttttt on 18:10 - May 4 with 610 viewssaint901

Ralph outtttttttt on 15:10 - May 4 by franniesTache

There's also not a team in the league that concedes as many goals as us, don't get me wrong at times i've loved watching us play under Ralph but we concede too many goals, and if we keep doing it the end result will be relegation.

We've given Ralph time now, we've allowed him to build his own squad, and we're still shipping 60+ goals a season.

Surely that leaves one factor? The manager. He's had his chance, time to move on and try someone else, because i'm positive another manager can stop us leaking goals.

Goals conceded as per today's table.

Leeds = 72
Norwich = 71
Watford = 69
Saints = 58
Newcastle = 56
Leicester = 54
Man U = 52

We're not top of that league and unless we ship 14+ goals in the next three games, we're not going to be.

On the basis that a manager's job has to include not letting in goals, then none of the managers above would be eligible.

Take out Klopp, Pep, whoever is at Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea. Take out Wolves because they need the connection with Portugal. That's 12 managers who are not suitable.

That leaves Gerrard at Villa, Moyes at WHU, the part timer at Palace, brentford, Burnley (interim coach) Potter at Brighton and Lampard. Would we really want one of those?

That sees us looking overseas. The big issue there is lack of PL experience if we are going to find a manager who wants to stay with the project.

I think we're agreeing that RH is not perfect, has made mistakes and sometime baffles us with team selections and tactics. He is not the type to react swiftly to situations (although he removed Romeu v Chelsea and that did not go well).

Nonetheless he has limited squad quality and has found the level taht squad is at.
Ralph outtttttttt on 18:21 - May 4 with 601 viewssaint68

Ralph outtttttttt on 18:10 - May 4 by saint901

Leeds = 72
Norwich = 71
Watford = 69
Saints = 58
Newcastle = 56
Leicester = 54
Man U = 52

We're not top of that league and unless we ship 14+ goals in the next three games, we're not going to be.

On the basis that a manager's job has to include not letting in goals, then none of the managers above would be eligible.

Take out Klopp, Pep, whoever is at Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea. Take out Wolves because they need the connection with Portugal. That's 12 managers who are not suitable.

That leaves Gerrard at Villa, Moyes at WHU, the part timer at Palace, brentford, Burnley (interim coach) Potter at Brighton and Lampard. Would we really want one of those?

That sees us looking overseas. The big issue there is lack of PL experience if we are going to find a manager who wants to stay with the project.

I think we're agreeing that RH is not perfect, has made mistakes and sometime baffles us with team selections and tactics. He is not the type to react swiftly to situations (although he removed Romeu v Chelsea and that did not go well).

Nonetheless he has limited squad quality and has found the level taht squad is at.

So he's basically slightly better than two relegated teams and one possible relegated team..truly inspiring management indeed.

Give him another season to get that relegation nailed on..as that's what you're little goals conceded chart indicates.

You say be careful what you wish for...well looking at his complete lack of defensive management...I'd have him removed in June...

#welimpovertheline

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Ralph outtttttttt on 19:38 - May 4 with 566 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph outtttttttt on 18:10 - May 4 by saint901

Leeds = 72
Norwich = 71
Watford = 69
Saints = 58
Newcastle = 56
Leicester = 54
Man U = 52

So your counter point is his defensive record is only worsened by two relegated clubs and one that looks a contender for relegation, and only slightly bettered by a side that’s been bottom most of the season, a side that’s about to have its worst league finish in almost four decades and a side that signed two of our defenders.

Well I’ve been well and truly put in my place…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024