Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Struggling Again 21:05 - Jun 14 with 2399 viewsSaintNick

1-0 down coming up for 25 minutes left

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England Struggling Again on 12:40 - Jun 15 with 560 viewssaint901

Accepting that England were woeful yesterday and that these games are a chance to experiment we have to ask, what has worked and what has not and can Southgate get the team playing to a different pattern in November?

It seemed to me that all the matches had the same basic shape. A defensive line of 3 or 4 with two holding midfield players in front of them. Full backs trying to push on. Forwards reluctant to go wide into channels. I suspect the theory was to create a pocket for a creative midfield player to receive the ball 40 yards out and be able to see runs from forward going centre to channel and wide players going from wide to central.

In all of the games so far the opposition was happy for England to have the ball wide because they judged that Saka and Sterling and Bowen were unable to put any quality on a cross and Kane is not your traditional CF. They judged that a wide player would try to get into the box and lay the ball off. By packing the box, in the event that outnumbering the creative player did not work, chances are that the ball would not fall at English feet. And they were correct.

Add that to passes that were constantly underhit and/or behind the recipient causing a loss of momentum and an inability to up the pace to a more normal PL match and we allowed even Hungary to dictate terms.

We now know that McGuire - limited player as he is - is important in organising the defence. We know that Saka is not a full back. We know that Philips is not as good when Rice is not playing. We know that Bowen is just not good enough - period. We know Kane is off form (as he seems to be in tournaments). We know that slow passing and keeping the ball is pointless unless you can make the most of the chances that do come along.

I would have liked to have seen Grealish as the creative player and not stuck out on a wing. I liked James at full back - but only at right full back. I would like to have seen some forward passes attempted (which they were yesterday - poorly) from a longer distance.
England Struggling Againi on 15:09 - Jun 15 with 465 viewsBazza

England Struggling Againi on 10:54 - Jun 15 by saintwizzler

You’d sack a manager 2 games before a World Cup?
Who’s the deluded one?

He has passed the first test and got us qualified for The World Cup.
The second test is the tournament itself.
He will be judged on that.

Semi final in WC 2018
Final in Euro 2020

I would call that progress.

I notice you don’t respond to my criticism but merely quote past success. The wheels have now fallen off. The object of football is to score goals, better hope the some young striker emerges from the pack. Southgate has no plan other than to defend which is why he’s achieved relative success when Kane and Sterling were on song against weak opposition. Doesn’t work against stronger nations.
I’d love to see England succeed even if crushingly boring to watch.
Southgate will be gone after the World Cup probably to take up some nonsense job at the useless FA when no club offers him a job.
England Struggling Againi on 15:23 - Jun 15 with 456 viewssaint901

England Struggling Againi on 15:09 - Jun 15 by Bazza

I notice you don’t respond to my criticism but merely quote past success. The wheels have now fallen off. The object of football is to score goals, better hope the some young striker emerges from the pack. Southgate has no plan other than to defend which is why he’s achieved relative success when Kane and Sterling were on song against weak opposition. Doesn’t work against stronger nations.
Southgate will be gone after the World Cup probably to take up some nonsense job at the useless FA when no club offers him a job.

Oh come on.

Southgate will be available around Christmas time?

If we are struggling then and the RH haters are still hating, guarantee that some will say Southgate is the man for us.
England Struggling Again on 15:36 - Jun 15 with 448 viewssaints__fan__73

This is like Saints getting to an FA Cup final and qualifying for the CL but some fans calling for the manager's head as they lost 2 of the first 4 pre-season games.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

England Struggling Againi on 16:15 - Jun 15 with 427 viewssaintwizzler

England Struggling Againi on 15:09 - Jun 15 by Bazza

I’m just saying he’s doing his job.
Qualified for The World Cup.
Let’s see what the tournament brings.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

England Struggling Againi on 19:07 - Jun 15 with 359 viewsBazza

England Struggling Againi on 16:15 - Jun 15 by saintwizzler

I’m just saying he’s doing his job.
Qualified for The World Cup.
Let’s see what the tournament brings.

Yep, fingers crossed for a change in recent fortunes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024