Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The cost of living 19:09 - Aug 22 with 5954 viewsmagicdaps10

Inflation predicted to hit 18% next year.
Gas and electric bills predicted to go past 5k annually and possibly hit 6k.

Buckle up folks, it's going to be a tough winter unless something is done.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The cost of living on 13:56 - Aug 26 with 1157 viewsmajorraglan

The cost of living on 13:15 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

Fair point
We are a gas producer .So is Russia.
We have not prioritised our own needs.

Market forces mun!
The cost of living on 14:10 - Aug 26 with 1136 viewsBryanSwan

The cost of living on 13:39 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

The world has an energy production shortfall and a skilled labour shortfall, particularly developed nations. As it would happen, the former and the associated increased cost of living will put pressure on skilled workers to retire later, alleviating the latter somewhat.

At the individual level, all we can do is work more, spend less, and focus on being as self-sufficient and off-grid as possible. For the more entrepreneurial there are some clear opportunities.

Sounds utterly fantastic, work till you drop and don't bother trying to enjoy yourself as there isnt the cash.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

The cost of living on 14:34 - Aug 26 with 1128 viewsBoundy

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The cost of living on 15:17 - Aug 26 with 1117 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 13:51 - Aug 26 by Boundy

all well and good to say retire later but some have physical job which means their unable to continue , would you like to be a manual worker on a building site at 66-68? I'm beginning to struggle now and I was looking to finish work next year , which is probably not going to happen now

It’s important to remember that this isn’t down to me, or down to you. It’s simply the reality of the wider world, which we have no control over.

But we do have control over how much work we do, how much we spend, and how much reliance we have on external forces. We can also control whether we do a physical or a non-physical job. I hope things work out for you, stay positive.
The cost of living on 15:25 - Aug 26 with 1111 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 14:10 - Aug 26 by BryanSwan

Sounds utterly fantastic, work till you drop and don't bother trying to enjoy yourself as there isnt the cash.

No generation has ever had it as good as the baby boomers, that is a fact. Yes living standards are falling which isn’t nice, but others have had it worse further back in history and even in the present in parts of the world less fortunate.

We know it’s happening, moaning doesn’t help we just have to get on with it. We can still enjoy ourselves but we have to do more to earn it rather than feel entitled to it.
The cost of living on 16:14 - Aug 26 with 1090 viewsLuther27

The cost of living on 15:25 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

No generation has ever had it as good as the baby boomers, that is a fact. Yes living standards are falling which isn’t nice, but others have had it worse further back in history and even in the present in parts of the world less fortunate.

We know it’s happening, moaning doesn’t help we just have to get on with it. We can still enjoy ourselves but we have to do more to earn it rather than feel entitled to it.

If you’ve been prudent and worked hard all your life then you are indeed entitled to it.
The cost of living on 16:20 - Aug 26 with 1088 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 16:14 - Aug 26 by Luther27

If you’ve been prudent and worked hard all your life then you are indeed entitled to it.

Exactly. Those who have set up their own energy supply and grow their own food are entitled to reap the rewards of that hard work and prudence. It’s a lesson for us all.
The cost of living on 16:22 - Aug 26 with 1087 viewsBryanSwan

Others have or have had it worse, im sorry but that is not an adequate excuse for ever falling standards.
Lets knock down all the houses too while we're at it shall we because we used to sleep in caves.

Login to get fewer ads

The cost of living on 16:29 - Aug 26 with 1084 viewsGwyn737

The cost of living on 16:22 - Aug 26 by BryanSwan

Others have or have had it worse, im sorry but that is not an adequate excuse for ever falling standards.
Lets knock down all the houses too while we're at it shall we because we used to sleep in caves.

I’m not sure I’d go that far but I get your drift.

If you were lucky enough to get on the property ladder before 2005 (including me) then we should be very careful about pulling the ladder up so quickly behind us.
The cost of living on 16:33 - Aug 26 with 1082 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 16:22 - Aug 26 by BryanSwan

It’s not my fault Bryan so I don’t need an excuse. It’s the reality, we must get on with it and try to make things better. The world has finite resources but the population continues to increase, falling standards are an inevitability. As individuals the best way to improve our lot is to live within our means, and grow from there.
The cost of living on 17:09 - Aug 26 with 1052 viewstrampie

The cost of living on 15:17 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

It’s important to remember that this isn’t down to me, or down to you. It’s simply the reality of the wider world, which we have no control over.

But we do have control over how much work we do, how much we spend, and how much reliance we have on external forces. We can also control whether we do a physical or a non-physical job. I hope things work out for you, stay positive.

I would not say ''We can also control whether we do a physical or a non-physical job." is an absolute, a lot of people have limited choices because of circumstances.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The cost of living on 17:15 - Aug 26 with 1048 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 17:09 - Aug 26 by trampie

I would not say ''We can also control whether we do a physical or a non-physical job." is an absolute, a lot of people have limited choices because of circumstances.

That’s fair, there’s certainly limited options in rural regions for example. Online work will be a lifeline for many.
The cost of living on 18:25 - Aug 26 with 1008 viewsBryanSwan

The cost of living on 16:29 - Aug 26 by Gwyn737

I’m not sure I’d go that far but I get your drift.

If you were lucky enough to get on the property ladder before 2005 (including me) then we should be very careful about pulling the ladder up so quickly behind us.

Why some are so apathetic to the way the country is being run is beyond me.
By the winter people wont be able to afford homes, utilities, food, transport, luxuries.
People will have lost their homes and businesses.

The MPs and the top % are laughing at all of us. It is a joke to them.

The cost of living on 20:32 - Aug 26 with 969 viewsScotia

Whatever happened to Progress and evolution?

There is an easy way out of this, this is nothing like the less fortunate in other parts of the world or older generations "having it worse".

This is a problem completely of our own making.

Never mind our short term multi millionaire chancellor telling people today to reduce their energy use. How is that supposed to help people like my sister in law who is out of the house for 14 hours a day working in a minimum wage job but can barely afford to get by now?

I can "enjoy myself" because I was fortunate to have the education to allow me to get a good job and salary to go with it, I may have to forego a holiday next year though.

Millions can't no matter how much they work. Do you realise they could be spending more than 50% of their salary on fuel alone by the spring? How are they supposed to "enjoy themselves" after buying food and paying for housing?

My energy company has recommended, based apparently on my current usage, that my direct debit goes up to £517 a month. My smart meter shows I've used £2.14 worth of energy today, despite my daughter being home due to school holidays and me working from home all day. Its 20:30. So I'd say my bill should be in the region of £100 a month based on my current usage?

Is anyone looking at the profits these suppliers make? Aside from a belated windfall tax?

This has to be one of the most out of touch posts I've ever read.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 20:43]
The cost of living on 21:16 - Aug 26 with 951 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 20:32 - Aug 26 by Scotia

Whatever happened to Progress and evolution?

There is an easy way out of this, this is nothing like the less fortunate in other parts of the world or older generations "having it worse".

This is a problem completely of our own making.

Never mind our short term multi millionaire chancellor telling people today to reduce their energy use. How is that supposed to help people like my sister in law who is out of the house for 14 hours a day working in a minimum wage job but can barely afford to get by now?

I can "enjoy myself" because I was fortunate to have the education to allow me to get a good job and salary to go with it, I may have to forego a holiday next year though.

Millions can't no matter how much they work. Do you realise they could be spending more than 50% of their salary on fuel alone by the spring? How are they supposed to "enjoy themselves" after buying food and paying for housing?

My energy company has recommended, based apparently on my current usage, that my direct debit goes up to £517 a month. My smart meter shows I've used £2.14 worth of energy today, despite my daughter being home due to school holidays and me working from home all day. Its 20:30. So I'd say my bill should be in the region of £100 a month based on my current usage?

Is anyone looking at the profits these suppliers make? Aside from a belated windfall tax?

This has to be one of the most out of touch posts I've ever read.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 20:43]

You say I am out of touch, but my friend I have worked for less than minimum wage (full time and beyond). And that was after an esteemed “education”.

I can see why you wouldn’t understand or need sage advice, but hopefully others take the message in the constructive spirit intended.
The cost of living on 21:33 - Aug 26 with 931 viewsScotia

The cost of living on 21:16 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

You say I am out of touch, but my friend I have worked for less than minimum wage (full time and beyond). And that was after an esteemed “education”.

I can see why you wouldn’t understand or need sage advice, but hopefully others take the message in the constructive spirit intended.

Why would I not understand or need sage advice? I'm genuinely interested, I'll gladly pass your words of wisdom on.

I'll wait, as it seems the "government" intend to make those who need it will.
The cost of living on 21:38 - Aug 26 with 926 viewsfbreath

What about all those people with electrical medical devices they use at home . People who need to recharge wheelchairs suddenly can’t afford to charge them and end up isolated and fall into depression.

This is going to cause a massive mental health problem if there is no help and won’t be surprised to hear of suicides where people just couldn’t cope with the worry and the stress.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

The cost of living on 00:44 - Aug 27 with 864 viewsJack123

Christ the arguments have started in my house, and it hasn't even gone up yet, I said to the missis right just before it goes up we will put 250 in each meter, she said you f***ing twa* i'm not putting 500 in the meters, I said we willpay ferking double the price for the gas if we don't, she said, no we wont, because I won't be putting the heating on, I'll wear a coat before paying those prices..

Great stuff,
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 0:45]

libera nos a malo

The cost of living on 08:11 - Aug 27 with 811 viewsjojaca

The cost of living on 00:44 - Aug 27 by Jack123

Christ the arguments have started in my house, and it hasn't even gone up yet, I said to the missis right just before it goes up we will put 250 in each meter, she said you f***ing twa* i'm not putting 500 in the meters, I said we willpay ferking double the price for the gas if we don't, she said, no we wont, because I won't be putting the heating on, I'll wear a coat before paying those prices..

Great stuff,
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 0:45]

This price rise is going to hurt our pockets. I have told the my partner eating out is history from October on and will have to come with other ideas like shorter shower times, use hoover 2/3 times a week, less cups of tea, knocking oven off with 5 minutes to go on food etc.

I have started buying months ago preparing for this, weighted blankets/normal blankets/dressing gowns/body warmers/thermals/flasks etc for the whole family and told them the heating will go on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I think this year, I will be visiting more family and friends and be cheeky asking to put the kettle on love.

I will be reworking my bills when October bill hits, if I feel I can't break even anymore at the end of the month, I will not be paying the energy bill. There comes a point enough is enough.

Even when you know, you never know?

The cost of living on 08:43 - Aug 27 with 783 viewsmagicdaps10

I think for the first time people are starting to realise what's coming.

I would start picking up the blankets, hot water bottles etc before the prices on these goods start rising.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The cost of living on 08:52 - Aug 27 with 781 viewsraynor94

The cost of living on 08:43 - Aug 27 by magicdaps10

I think for the first time people are starting to realise what's coming.

I would start picking up the blankets, hot water bottles etc before the prices on these goods start rising.

Yet, try booking a holiday abroad in September, there is very little choice, and very expensive.

Is this a last hurrah

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The cost of living on 10:44 - Aug 27 with 740 viewsSirjohnalot

The cost of living on 08:52 - Aug 27 by raynor94

Yet, try booking a holiday abroad in September, there is very little choice, and very expensive.

Is this a last hurrah

Fantastic man.

We’ve already made it clear to mum and dad and mother in law that we will help them out in the winter. People will freeze.
The cost of living on 20:08 - Aug 27 with 682 viewsJack123

Good post John, reminds me of 'to look after the elderly at winter times advert', these current times will most certainly need us all looking after them.

libera nos a malo

The cost of living on 21:25 - Aug 27 with 648 viewsBoundy

The cost of living on 17:15 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

That’s fair, there’s certainly limited options in rural regions for example. Online work will be a lifeline for many.

Not for example if you dig holes for welsh water , work on a construction site, collect rubbish, deliver food stuffs, drive buses, etc , I'm afraid you have very simplistic view on how a society works and one which frankly is a bit condescending

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The cost of living on 09:46 - Aug 28 with 577 viewsExiledJack

The cost of living on 21:25 - Aug 27 by Boundy

Not for example if you dig holes for welsh water , work on a construction site, collect rubbish, deliver food stuffs, drive buses, etc , I'm afraid you have very simplistic view on how a society works and one which frankly is a bit condescending

I didn’t mean it to come across like that and apologise. There’s been a number of helpful posts in this thread that expand on the simple points I put across, particularly in relation to reducing expenditure.

I agree it’s not realistic for people to be doing the kinds of jobs you’ve listed into an older age, and there isn’t a direct alternative for them. They will probably have to consider different industries when they can no longer do that role. It’s not nice, and tbh employers should take more responsibility in preparing their staff for moving on when that time comes. If the finances were there for people they of course wouldn’t have to do it, but as finances are getting worse more will. The government will offer some help in this crisis but almost certainly not enough, so anything people can do to help themselves will be worthwhile. My posts are mostly a response to some behaviours I am seeing day to day (not online), people in denial of what’s to come and unprepared to take action now to help themselves for what’s ahead.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024