Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cymru Prem drop zone 23:04 - Oct 22 with 2829 viewsKilkennyjack

The two newly promoted teams are the bottom two.

Played 22 games between then, just 3 wins (all 3 Pontypridd).

Looks like a gulf in quality between the established teams and the 2 feeder leagues.

Plans are on the cards to increase the size of the Cymru Prem from 12 to 14 or 16.
Not sure if thats a good thing or not.

[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 5:18]

Beware of the Risen People

Cymru Prem drop zone on 07:58 - Oct 23 with 2290 viewsBryanSwan

To be fair Ponty are still very much in the mix to stay up, only 1pt off a couple teams.
Its always hard for the southern teams to compete in the prem due to the amount of travelling. Barring a University funded side and Penybont who have a fair whack of cash behind them.
I've always thought splitting the top tier into a N/S would've been great and then having some sort of championship playoff at the end.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Cymru Prem drop zone on 12:59 - Oct 23 with 2222 viewsRobbie

Mate of mine played a few games when his team were then in the top flight of Welsh football whilst also working full time , including weekend work .

If soon became impossible for him to do the two duties due to the travelling involved especially going to North Wales , Premier football had to go and he went back to a local side.

He did say the top North Wales teams rely heavily on Merseyside players and pay them well
Mentioned one game were he thought he was playing in Liverpool , not Wales .
Cymru Prem drop zone on 14:26 - Oct 23 with 2178 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 07:58 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

To be fair Ponty are still very much in the mix to stay up, only 1pt off a couple teams.
Its always hard for the southern teams to compete in the prem due to the amount of travelling. Barring a University funded side and Penybont who have a fair whack of cash behind them.
I've always thought splitting the top tier into a N/S would've been great and then having some sort of championship playoff at the end.

Yes they are but its still only 10 points from 11 games now.
I hope they stay up.

We certainly do not want the league split into north and south.
The standard is better than ever.
Same with facilities.

Yes the north sides can pull from Liverpool etc, but the southern teams have players from cardiff and swansea academies to call on.

Swansea area could easily support a side like Llanelli maybe, likewise Newport don't seem to have a side.
Cardiff have Cardiff Met and Pontypridd. Usually Barry.

Another 2 teams , so 14 teams, might make it better again.
I am not going to mention Merthyr.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 14:41 - Oct 23 with 2167 viewsGixerJack

When I first read the heading I thought “that’s a bit harsh” thinking you were making reference to Cardiffs plight 😂🤣😂🤣
Cymru Prem drop zone on 14:42 - Oct 23 with 2167 viewsraynor94

3 men are not interested, can't speak for the dog

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cymru Prem drop zone on 17:34 - Oct 23 with 2122 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 14:26 - Oct 23 by Kilkennyjack

Yes they are but its still only 10 points from 11 games now.
I hope they stay up.

We certainly do not want the league split into north and south.
The standard is better than ever.
Same with facilities.

Yes the north sides can pull from Liverpool etc, but the southern teams have players from cardiff and swansea academies to call on.

Swansea area could easily support a side like Llanelli maybe, likewise Newport don't seem to have a side.
Cardiff have Cardiff Met and Pontypridd. Usually Barry.

Another 2 teams , so 14 teams, might make it better again.
I am not going to mention Merthyr.

It's not sustainable for a majority of Cymru South sides. I know some that would rather throw a few games and stay in the south rather than go up (as it would be terrible financially for them).
By keeping it as it is it'll always be 9 or 10 the 12 being north Wales sides. The travelling is just a killer to anyone from the south without someone funding their losses and finding players who can do so around their normal jobs.

I hope something is done to improve it, its quite sad seeing Cymru South teams with no ambition to go up.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 17:43 - Oct 23 with 2103 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 17:34 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

It's not sustainable for a majority of Cymru South sides. I know some that would rather throw a few games and stay in the south rather than go up (as it would be terrible financially for them).
By keeping it as it is it'll always be 9 or 10 the 12 being north Wales sides. The travelling is just a killer to anyone from the south without someone funding their losses and finding players who can do so around their normal jobs.

I hope something is done to improve it, its quite sad seeing Cymru South teams with no ambition to go up.

Trouble is the decent South Wales team would rather play in the southern league less travelling and a better standard of football. That is why Merthyr the old Barry Town and Bridgend would were never keen on the Welsh league dominated by an English team that was payed for by huge subsidies from the company that owned them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:11 - Oct 23 with 2079 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 17:43 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

Trouble is the decent South Wales team would rather play in the southern league less travelling and a better standard of football. That is why Merthyr the old Barry Town and Bridgend would were never keen on the Welsh league dominated by an English team that was payed for by huge subsidies from the company that owned them.

And you cant blame them. The Welsh prem just doesn't cater to supporting southern sides. Unless there are some pretty radical changes it never will be either.

Login to get fewer ads

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:19 - Oct 23 with 2070 viewsJack_Kass

Cymru Prem drop zone on 07:58 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

As with any league it goes through cycles, but when it was 18 teams you had the likes of

Cwmbran (first winners)
Carmarthen
Barry
Port Talbot
Neath
Llanelli
Haverfordwest
Aberystwyth
Afan Lido
Inter Cardiff
Briton Ferry

Not to mention Pontypridd; Penybont and Cardiff Met in the modern group

It's never been a 'northern league'

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:41 - Oct 23 with 2054 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:19 - Oct 23 by Jack_Kass

As with any league it goes through cycles, but when it was 18 teams you had the likes of

Cwmbran (first winners)
Carmarthen
Barry
Port Talbot
Neath
Llanelli
Haverfordwest
Aberystwyth
Afan Lido
Inter Cardiff
Briton Ferry

Thats interesting …..

This years 12 ….

*Mid Wales
Aberystwyth
Newtown
TNS

*South
Cardiff Met
Penybont
Haverfordwest
Pontypridd

*North
Connahs Quay
Caernarfon
Airbus
Bala
Flint

So make of that what you will.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:45 - Oct 23 with 2044 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:19 - Oct 23 by Jack_Kass

Cwmbran (first winners)
Carmarthen
Barry
Port Talbot
Neath
Llanelli
Haverfordwest
Aberystwyth
Afan Lido
Inter Cardiff
Briton Ferry

You can talk about cycles etc but it doesn't make a difference to the Cymru south teams who as of right now there are a load who plain and simple don't want to get promoted. As i have been told previously it would "ruin the club".
Can you really not see an issue with that?

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:51 - Oct 23 with 2038 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:41 - Oct 23 by Kilkennyjack

Thats interesting …..

This years 12 ….

*Mid Wales
Aberystwyth
Newtown
TNS

*South
Cardiff Met
Penybont
Haverfordwest
Pontypridd

*North
Connahs Quay
Caernarfon
Airbus
Bala
Flint

So make of that what you will.

You can hardly include TNS in mid Wales as they are in England.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:51 - Oct 23 with 2037 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 17:43 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

Bollox.

The Cymru Prem select team beat the English Conference select team 4-0 in March 22.
(This is just the welsh qualified players btw).

Suggests the best players in the Cymru Prem are a lot better than the various southern league type
level.

I am not saying its Conference level even, but its a new league and its getting better and better.
Most of the players have played at pro clubs at some level.
Facilities are improving year on year.

Barry and Penybont are in the Cymru leagues, of course.

Your point about TNS is fair enough. But things will change over time.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:52 - Oct 23 with 2036 viewsJack_Kass

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:45 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

You can talk about cycles etc but it doesn't make a difference to the Cymru south teams who as of right now there are a load who plain and simple don't want to get promoted. As i have been told previously it would "ruin the club".

Well its easy to say that when most of them can't get promoted anyway, due to the licensing issues.

Of course they would if they won the league and were allowed to compete.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:59 - Oct 23 with 2030 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:51 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

You can hardly include TNS in mid Wales as they are in England.

Well you can ….. cos the TNS club was formed as Llansantffraid F.C. to represent the border village of Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain.

They first tasted competitive football in the Montgomeryshire Amateur Football League (then the fourth level of the Welsh football league system), winning the championship seven times. At the end of the 1989—90 season they were elected to the Central Wales League (now the Mid-Wales League).

I am not an expert on the geography of Wales, but that all sounds pretty much Mid-Wales to me.

I am not defending TNS in any way, its a matter of geography in terms of the north or south wales debate.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 19:21 - Oct 23 with 2020 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:59 - Oct 23 by Kilkennyjack

Well you can ….. cos the TNS club was formed as Llansantffraid F.C. to represent the border village of Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain.

They first tasted competitive football in the Montgomeryshire Amateur Football League (then the fourth level of the Welsh football league system), winning the championship seven times. At the end of the 1989—90 season they were elected to the Central Wales League (now the Mid-Wales League).

I am not an expert on the geography of Wales, but that all sounds pretty much Mid-Wales to me.

I am not defending TNS in any way, its a matter of geography in terms of the north or south wales debate.

TNS play in England end of. You are correct they were originally formed from Llansantffraid but they merged with Owestry another English club. They play at the Venue in Oswestry England.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 19:25 - Oct 23 with 2018 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:59 - Oct 23 by Kilkennyjack

TNS play in England end of. You are correct they were originally formed from Llansantffraid but they merged with Owestry another English club. They play at the Venue in Oswestry England.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 19:48 - Oct 23 with 2004 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:52 - Oct 23 by Jack_Kass

Well its easy to say that when most of them can't get promoted anyway, due to the licensing issues.

Of course they would if they won the league and were allowed to compete.

They can't afford to get promoted, therefore they don't try to. Kills any ambition in the league.

My local club have said that if they were to go up half the team would probably finish or want extra cash to cover missing work. Add to that the extra travel costs and reduced gate receipts from not playing local teams that people are interested in. And that is across a host of clubs, there isn't the finance in it from gate receipts or sponsors to properly support their teams.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 21:30 - Oct 23 with 1967 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 19:48 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

They can't afford to get promoted, therefore they don't try to. Kills any ambition in the league.

My local club have said that if they were to go up half the team would probably finish or want extra cash to cover missing work. Add to that the extra travel costs and reduced gate receipts from not playing local teams that people are interested in. And that is across a host of clubs, there isn't the finance in it from gate receipts or sponsors to properly support their teams.

Might it be my original point is correct, in that the champions of last seasons north and south are now the bottom 2 in the Cymru Prem with half the games of Phase1 gone.

There is currently a gulf in class.

So your mates south teams are really looking at promotion and then almost certain immediate relegation without the funds to strengthen the entire squad.
And stretching to strengthen might put the club in unmanageable debt.
Thats all fair enough.

So an extra 2 teams might give the promoted 2 a better chance of staying up…?
Llanelli, Carmarthen are big enough to do well (again) in the Cymru Prem. Both have done well previously as we all know.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 21:43 - Oct 23 with 1962 viewsBoundy

Cymru Prem drop zone on 18:45 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

Knowing the amount of money being pumped into Briton Ferry then I’d disagree ,some of the money the players are is high and and gate money cant be covering it so it’s by “sponsors” who would like something back , everything’s in place for a chance of going up but imo this seasons make or break so you’re right regarding ruining a Club but in Ferry’s case just trying to get promotion maybe it’s undoing and currently it’s looking less likely to happen

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Cymru Prem drop zone on 22:04 - Oct 23 with 1948 viewsbuilthjack

TNS turned over £2 million last season.
Their artificial pitch is let out for 50 hours a week, their play zone is full each day, and their club has big functions on every week.
Together with their 600k or thereabouts from Europe, they are financially secure.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 22:16 - Oct 23 with 1935 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 21:30 - Oct 23 by Kilkennyjack

Might it be my original point is correct, in that the champions of last seasons north and south are now the bottom 2 in the Cymru Prem with half the games of Phase1 gone.

There is currently a gulf in class.

So your mates south teams are really looking at promotion and then almost certain immediate relegation without the funds to strengthen the entire squad.
And stretching to strengthen might put the club in unmanageable debt.
Thats all fair enough.

So an extra 2 teams might give the promoted 2 a better chance of staying up…?
Llanelli, Carmarthen are big enough to do well (again) in the Cymru Prem. Both have done well previously as we all know.

I don't think there is that much of a gulf as a lot of players move around clubs pretty frequently. Aside from the top sides (TNS) who can afford to just pay more.

I won't pretend to know what the answer is to fixing it is, but some changes are definitely needed to help the leagues and clubs grow.

Cymru Prem drop zone on 22:59 - Oct 23 with 1920 viewsbritferry

Remember Rhyl & Bangor? Well they went pop and are now competing in North Wales's Ardal North West division.

Happy days though, 7 red cards

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Cymru Prem drop zone on 00:03 - Oct 24 with 1895 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Prem drop zone on 22:16 - Oct 23 by BryanSwan

I don't think there is that much of a gulf as a lot of players move around clubs pretty frequently. Aside from the top sides (TNS) who can afford to just pay more.

I won't pretend to know what the answer is to fixing it is, but some changes are definitely needed to help the leagues and clubs grow.

Well you are wrong then.

After 11 games ….

Last years North champions …. Bottom, with -2 points.
Last years South promoted team …. second bottom, with 10 points.

Thats not chance, these teams are struggling compared to last year when they were top of the keague. They are both struggling cos they are in a far stronger league.

Its a pretty obvious gulf in class. 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 0:04]

Cymru Prem drop zone on 07:28 - Oct 24 with 1855 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Prem drop zone on 00:03 - Oct 24 by Kilkennyjack

Well you are wrong then.

After 11 games ….

Last years North champions …. Bottom, with -2 points.
Last years South promoted team …. second bottom, with 10 points.

Thats not chance, these teams are struggling compared to last year when they were top of the keague. They are both struggling cos they are in a far stronger league.

Its a pretty obvious gulf in class. 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 0:04]

Maybe i am, maybe I'm not.

Around half of Pontys first team squad left over the summer after they accepted promotion after Llantwit didt meet the regulations. Most left for other local teams.
That is why they struggle going up, half of their squad automatically leaves.

Can't say for Airbus as I've no idea whats going on there, but being deducted points probably speaks for itself.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024