Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Forum vs Facebook 13:17 - Apr 19 with 3647 viewsNewtonDale

It has been on my mind for good while now that in my opinion, there are many distinct differences between this forum and the Facebook page of Rochdale AFC Appreciation.
Do the majority on here look at both as I do?

I don't post or comment a lot on here but avidly read the posts and subsequent comments as I learn a lot about various issues going on at the club ( that I may have missed) and see different points of views on games / the footballing side.
The majority of the time, people's honest and often well educated opinions on here are respected, challenged, responded to, mistakes corrected, lots of witty replies (Judd does make me laugh), good banter but mainly the respect is there.

Again, IMO, the Facebook group is very much an opposite and seems to be lots of petty arguments, opinions given that are replied to as 'just wrong' and the level of intellect seems somewhat lacking.

I have always believed that people's opinions are personal and although a reply does not need to agree, one should never say it is incorrect as it is just an opinion. They should simply be respected and to use an age old phrase, 'agree to disagree'.

I have posted once on the Facebook group and got told I was wrong, shut up, sworn at and ridiculed so I only ever view it now, but it does sometimes make for frightening reading when I see what and how some people post.

It is called Rochdale AFC Appreciation but there doesn't seem to be any appreciation at all of anything. When we win the players and managers are great, when we lose it is the total opposite. Same with the current chairman who was hailed as a hero for stepping in to save the club from MH and now is the villain.
Whereas on this forum, everyone is well aware of the ups and downs of our fortune, but take a far more pragmatic viewpoint on affairs based on respect.

Just my opinion!!!!
This Forum vs Facebook on 13:24 - Apr 19 with 3605 viewskel

Good post. That Facebook group is poisonous and you’re spot on about the general intellect of the posters on there. I refuse to join it after briefly doing so a long while back. You only have to look at who ‘moderates’ it and they people they associate with to see what the issue with it is.

This place can get feisty (I’m more guilty than most) but is a far better place to get your thoughts across. I’m well aware I’m not everyone’s cup of tea but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest and I’ll always post what’s on my mind. I rarely get personal unless there’s blatant trolling going on which is evident at the moment.

Anyway, it’s not about me. There’s some very good posters on here who I admire hugely and enjoy how they express themselves and long may it continue.

Judd’s not funny though.
This Forum vs Facebook on 13:30 - Apr 19 with 3567 viewsjudd

Even Judd will tell you Judd is a prick.

Poll: What is it to be then?

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:32 - Apr 19 with 3548 viewsNigelWatson

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:24 - Apr 19 by kel

Good post. That Facebook group is poisonous and you’re spot on about the general intellect of the posters on there. I refuse to join it after briefly doing so a long while back. You only have to look at who ‘moderates’ it and they people they associate with to see what the issue with it is.

This place can get feisty (I’m more guilty than most) but is a far better place to get your thoughts across. I’m well aware I’m not everyone’s cup of tea but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest and I’ll always post what’s on my mind. I rarely get personal unless there’s blatant trolling going on which is evident at the moment.

Anyway, it’s not about me. There’s some very good posters on here who I admire hugely and enjoy how they express themselves and long may it continue.

Judd’s not funny though.

You need to retire to the Cemetery Hotel for a few pints of Timmy Taylor's to discuss Marxism—Leninism with your mate, Mc Stalin.
This Forum vs Facebook on 13:36 - Apr 19 with 3537 viewskel

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:32 - Apr 19 by NigelWatson

You need to retire to the Cemetery Hotel for a few pints of Timmy Taylor's to discuss Marxism—Leninism with your mate, Mc Stalin.

Not been in the Cem for about 18 months, flower, only ever had one pint of real ale in my life and never met McStalin in person.

Do a video about it.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 13:37]
This Forum vs Facebook on 13:47 - Apr 19 with 3482 viewsTomRAFC

Was invited into it a few years ago. Joined and left in the same day. It's a communal example of the Dunning—Kruger effect.

I know there's people on here I've totally disagreed with about one topic, only to then totally agree with them on something else. I'm rubbish with names, let alone usernames. Whilst some usernames have become familiar over time, I'd be hard pressed to have any preemptive views of most people on here. There could well be people I've known for years without realising what username they use on here... Who's this Sandyman fellow?

There's some b*llocks on here occasionally, but there was plenty of that during yesterday's post-match pint with friends I've known for years.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:48 - Apr 19 with 3467 viewsD_Alien

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:32 - Apr 19 by NigelWatson

I expect the discussion would be limited to kel asking why i'd asked the bartender to pull the Landlord

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:49 - Apr 19 with 3450 viewsjudd

This Forum vs Facebook on 13:47 - Apr 19 by TomRAFC

Was invited into it a few years ago. Joined and left in the same day. It's a communal example of the Dunning—Kruger effect.

I know there's people on here I've totally disagreed with about one topic, only to then totally agree with them on something else. I'm rubbish with names, let alone usernames. Whilst some usernames have become familiar over time, I'd be hard pressed to have any preemptive views of most people on here. There could well be people I've known for years without realising what username they use on here... Who's this Sandyman fellow?

There's some b*llocks on here occasionally, but there was plenty of that during yesterday's post-match pint with friends I've known for years.

That Shandyman is a right scalliwag. Think Biffa Bacon meets the Real Ale Tvvats.

Poll: What is it to be then?

This Forum vs Facebook on 14:36 - Apr 19 with 3287 views49thseason

Given the parlous state of the football, I have had endless entertainment lately watching the antics of the great unwashed Dale youths who inhabit the Sandy Lane End.
They seem to comprise a bunch if skinny lads with slightly crossed eyes (partially hidden in their hoods) and clearly not much happening upstairs and some rather tubby, speccy kids who are desperate for the acknowledgement of the skinny ones. Their football knowledge is stretched to figure out who is playing and what the score is and their songs seem to be aimed at a football club that no longer exists. Essentially its like a care in the community project, if they werent inside the ground, they would be outside breaking into cars. The drummer deserves a "special" mention too, he has all the musicality of an outside toilet door banging in the wind, its truely a gift to be so inept.

The best bit last night was when , rather bizzarly, they all took their shoes off and waved them in the air.....that their singing and comments have upset professional footballers and the manager is laughable.

At this point I must admit that I laughed out loud at the ludicous OG and criticised EEL for carefully measuring a pass down the left wing and then hammering it the stand, an all too common event for a player that clearly doesn't have a left foot or a particularly reliable right one. I was even more amused by the temporary manager's explanation that the OG was all Rochdale Hornets goalpost's fault and nothing to do with a game plan that he must have pinned up upsidedown given that backwards is now the new forwards. Fortunately someone (Jack the Kitman I suspect) spotted the problem at half time and turned it the right way up.

Last night was classic Rochdale, if something can go wrong, it will, no matter the occasion or the cast of players. The National League has no idea what's coming....
Login to get fewer ads

This Forum vs Facebook on 14:54 - Apr 19 with 3220 viewskel

Ha, great post. Had a huge smile on my face reading it.
This Forum vs Facebook on 15:34 - Apr 19 with 3131 viewsDaleiLama

This Forum vs Facebook on 14:36 - Apr 19 by 49thseason

Given the parlous state of the football, I have had endless entertainment lately watching the antics of the great unwashed Dale youths who inhabit the Sandy Lane End.
They seem to comprise a bunch if skinny lads with slightly crossed eyes (partially hidden in their hoods) and clearly not much happening upstairs and some rather tubby, speccy kids who are desperate for the acknowledgement of the skinny ones. Their football knowledge is stretched to figure out who is playing and what the score is and their songs seem to be aimed at a football club that no longer exists. Essentially its like a care in the community project, if they werent inside the ground, they would be outside breaking into cars. The drummer deserves a "special" mention too, he has all the musicality of an outside toilet door banging in the wind, its truely a gift to be so inept.

The best bit last night was when , rather bizzarly, they all took their shoes off and waved them in the air.....that their singing and comments have upset professional footballers and the manager is laughable.

At this point I must admit that I laughed out loud at the ludicous OG and criticised EEL for carefully measuring a pass down the left wing and then hammering it the stand, an all too common event for a player that clearly doesn't have a left foot or a particularly reliable right one. I was even more amused by the temporary manager's explanation that the OG was all Rochdale Hornets goalpost's fault and nothing to do with a game plan that he must have pinned up upsidedown given that backwards is now the new forwards. Fortunately someone (Jack the Kitman I suspect) spotted the problem at half time and turned it the right way up.

Last night was classic Rochdale, if something can go wrong, it will, no matter the occasion or the cast of players. The National League has no idea what's coming....

Another bizarre instance last night - Sinclair was coming on. He warmed up. He changed into match shirt. He stood on the side with BJ. The 4th offish waved the board, Tyrese got 4 yards onto the pitch and BJ shouted him back to tell him where to play. Tbf, the Hornets posts weren't singled out for blame then though,

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

This Forum vs Facebook on 15:48 - Apr 19 with 3094 views49thseason

This Forum vs Facebook on 15:34 - Apr 19 by DaleiLama

Another bizarre instance last night - Sinclair was coming on. He warmed up. He changed into match shirt. He stood on the side with BJ. The 4th offish waved the board, Tyrese got 4 yards onto the pitch and BJ shouted him back to tell him where to play. Tbf, the Hornets posts weren't singled out for blame then though,

Not to mention that the ground staff seemed to have forgotten that they had left the sprinklers on at the SLE and the wind was blowing the spray straight into the great unwashed behind the goal... all of which resulted in the aforementioned EEL attempting to shift his weight from one foot to the other and sliding a couple of yards on his backside ... more laughter. the whole club is becoming Barnstoneworth United writ large..." Eight goals , eight bloody goals and four of them from back passes to the goalkeeper"!!

Meanwhile Back at Platt Lane, McNulty gets to the bottom of our poor form
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 15:54]
This Forum vs Facebook on 16:43 - Apr 19 with 2964 views442Dale

This forum has always added positives to being a Dale fan and it has benefitted the club on numerous occasions over the years. If it didn’t, people would be reading it.

We need only look back to the takeover period when fans were kept fully informed by other posters who possessed the skills and knowledge to look into exactly what was going on at our football club. This raised awareness and played a massive part in getting through that period in the club’s history.

It’s hoped that if we ever encounter problems again, it is hoped that same level of commitment to the bigger picture - RAFC and its supporters - means people who have posted/do post on here and can help, do so and that awareness is provided again.

On the football front, there have always been differing views but, in the main, people post in a reasonably fair way, even when we disagree.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

This Forum vs Facebook on 21:38 - Apr 19 with 2647 viewsTomRAFC

This Forum vs Facebook on 15:48 - Apr 19 by 49thseason

Not to mention that the ground staff seemed to have forgotten that they had left the sprinklers on at the SLE and the wind was blowing the spray straight into the great unwashed behind the goal... all of which resulted in the aforementioned EEL attempting to shift his weight from one foot to the other and sliding a couple of yards on his backside ... more laughter. the whole club is becoming Barnstoneworth United writ large..." Eight goals , eight bloody goals and four of them from back passes to the goalkeeper"!!

Meanwhile Back at Platt Lane, McNulty gets to the bottom of our poor form
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 15:54]

Oddly enough, I had the exact same conversation about Barnstoneworth at the match last night. Absolute quality.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

This Forum vs Facebook on 22:51 - Apr 19 with 2546 viewsClivert

There isn't any difference between the two places, the meltdowns and arguments on here are just as cringing as the Facebook pages.
This Forum vs Facebook on 15:31 - Apr 20 with 2193 viewsste1

I don't really post on here anymore, but still read on a daily basis. I think I've been posting (or not) on some variant of this forum for 25 years now (gulp). Facebook is invariably full of idiots posting shite whatever the topic.

On a pale blue dot

This Forum vs Facebook on 12:07 - Apr 22 with 1809 viewsPeaky

This Forum vs Facebook on 15:31 - Apr 20 by ste1

I don't really post on here anymore, but still read on a daily basis. I think I've been posting (or not) on some variant of this forum for 25 years now (gulp). Facebook is invariably full of idiots posting shite whatever the topic.

Yeah great OP. I think the difference here is that most people have been part of this forum since its inception. We know each other despite the alius’s and some of us have grown up together or shared many an away trip. I don’t post these days as not being able to get to games has limited my ability to have a balanced opinion of issues and games, but I read the forum daily. Following on from the thread about the Stockport game, I agree whole heartedly with the poster that dale has the best fans in the country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024