Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2023 Retained/Released List 16:16 - May 15 with 11737 viewsBrierls

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/may/retainedreleased-list-202223/

Some encouraging statements in there...

"Ten players remain under contract heading into the 2023/24 campaign and in addition, three options have been triggered. However, a number of players who remain under contract have been informed that they have been placed on the transfer list with immediate effect."

"Any player that remains in talks and eventually wishes to stay with the club next season would be expected to take a substantial drop in salary."

I hope it's at least three players on the transfer list.

I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a new contract for Kelly or Keohane, but we may get some value if they're on much lower wages.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:26 - May 15 with 7463 viewsoddjob007

Great to see that we’ve actually moved with a bit of pace for once on this.

Interesting that the GOAT looks like he is staying, happy about this.

As much as I’d love Lloyd to stay, I hope we are being sensible as we’ve been stung so many times with injury prone players who have shown they are decent.

I’d keep Jimmy K, solid and versatile. Not sure about Kelly, flatters to decieve and I’m not sure how he’ll get on in the conference.

I really hope we weren’t stupid enough to sign players without wage drops should we have gone down.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:30 - May 15 with 7428 viewsDareToCalvin

Wasn't sure what to expect but actually quite happy with this.

Presumably the transfer listed players are John, Ball and maybe Campbell (although I'd maybe assess Campbell as he does score goals in the National League, although if his heart's not in it then happy for him to move on).

Sad about the U18s all going but I trust the youth guys to make the correct decision; presumably they can't afford to offer pro terms for Kelly/Dos Santos etc and retain some U18s so makes sense.

Also pleased that they have stressed they will be offering new terms on substantially lower wages; don't mind if any decide to stay or go, apart from Lloyd but would imagine he'll have EFL suitors.

Ball/John aside; it's not a bad National League team that.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:31 - May 15 with 7413 viewsBrierls

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:26 - May 15 by oddjob007

Great to see that we’ve actually moved with a bit of pace for once on this.

Interesting that the GOAT looks like he is staying, happy about this.

As much as I’d love Lloyd to stay, I hope we are being sensible as we’ve been stung so many times with injury prone players who have shown they are decent.

I’d keep Jimmy K, solid and versatile. Not sure about Kelly, flatters to decieve and I’m not sure how he’ll get on in the conference.

I really hope we weren’t stupid enough to sign players without wage drops should we have gone down.

Agree on moving at pace.

Also happy on the GOAT.

I'd be very surprised if Lloyd signed, but at least there the tiniest bit of hope.

SAJ has been dreadful in every position he's played this season. He's been very consistent.

The BoD confirmed that players have relegation clauses in their contracts. Can't remember when/where this was said, possibly the fans forum.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:36 - May 15 with 7365 viewsdingdangblue

Hopefully 'the substantial drop in salary' is minimum wage for Kelly and Graham.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:42 - May 15 with 7312 viewsBeechball

I'd have offered White some sort of pay as you play deal as the defence always looked steadier when he played. And Keohane would have been first out of the door for me.
Otherwise I can't diagree with it.
2023 Retained/Released List on 16:44 - May 15 with 7289 viewsSuddenLad

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:42 - May 15 by Beechball

I'd have offered White some sort of pay as you play deal as the defence always looked steadier when he played. And Keohane would have been first out of the door for me.
Otherwise I can't diagree with it.

Pay as you play for White, would mean he'd have no income.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:56 - May 15 with 7179 viewsCrede_Sign0

Some encouraging signs there - and hopefully some money to come in as well
One query - did we ever actually take Dan Adshead on loan or not?
2023 Retained/Released List on 17:02 - May 15 with 7130 viewselectricblue

2023 Retained/Released List on 16:31 - May 15 by Brierls

Agree on moving at pace.

Also happy on the GOAT.

I'd be very surprised if Lloyd signed, but at least there the tiniest bit of hope.

SAJ has been dreadful in every position he's played this season. He's been very consistent.

The BoD confirmed that players have relegation clauses in their contracts. Can't remember when/where this was said, possibly the fans forum.

A couple weeks ago JM said that SAJ is suffering from an hernia problem and will have surgery when the season ends..
So that may account for his performances...

I think he will be a good NL player next season....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

2023 Retained/Released List on 17:06 - May 15 with 7091 viewsSaxonDale

Pretty much as expected. With the exception of Lloyd who’d be a starter, I presume that McNulty sees none of the others as regular starters so terms will be hugely reduced. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see O’Donnell moved on but think we have the beginnings of a very decent spine in EEL, Malarkey,Odoh, Rodney. Midfield obviously needs addressing.
2023 Retained/Released List on 17:08 - May 15 with 7073 viewsLaveritty

Apologies if I am being a bit thick but does ‘three options have been triggered’ mean that the contracts are agreed and signed? If so, and Hendo will still be with us next season, then that has cheered me up after a miserable few weeks!

I would be quite happy with Rodney and Hendo as 2 of our attacking options! When you consider they got 19 goals between them in a poor team that often created very few chances I think that is a fair return?

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

2023 Retained/Released List on 17:44 - May 15 with 6889 viewsBrierls

2023 Retained/Released List on 17:08 - May 15 by Laveritty

Apologies if I am being a bit thick but does ‘three options have been triggered’ mean that the contracts are agreed and signed? If so, and Hendo will still be with us next season, then that has cheered me up after a miserable few weeks!

I would be quite happy with Rodney and Hendo as 2 of our attacking options! When you consider they got 19 goals between them in a poor team that often created very few chances I think that is a fair return?

I think and hope so. There are options in the club's favour (e.g. Odoh) and options in the player's favour (e.g. Hendo).

I really hope there isn't a follow up statement saying "despite having triggered a year's contract extension, Ian Henderson has decided to leave the club".

Like you, I see a potential for goals with a Henderson and Rodney partnership. I think there will be interest in Rodney, so lets see if he's here at the start of the season.
2023 Retained/Released List on 17:51 - May 15 with 6854 viewsjonahwhereru

No organisation gets it’s commas right most of the time but this release is mind boggling.

What I understand from it is that we are keeping three players via contract triggers, so the wage is tied into the trigger. 4 others we have indicated could have a future with us if the wages are right from the club’s perspective, so not very likely any will sign any time soon, if ever.
Some of ten are transfer listed, why Not say who? Some are talking with the club, again no detail. So sounds like some have relegation clauses and others don’t.
Ethan Brierley, Christ knows. His family have intimidated that Blackburn is a done deal, but may be that has changed and he is just listed.
So we have three players tied up, and some that are listed in the hope clubs will take them of our hands, I guess many of them as a free.
Talks need to conclude pronto. Otherwise the could be in even more turmoil.
I’m an exile, but if I were local I wouldn’t be rushing to buy a season ticket any time soon. With no idea what sort of team we will have on the field.
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:05 - May 15 with 6756 viewsNorthernDale

That is my concern as well, we expect Brierley to be sold, but I feel the board will take money for other players as well, like Rodney and Mullarkey on the grounds that the clubs needs the money. We will need a strong squad next season to compete effectively and selling our best players will not help us at all. So the board actions over the summer will reveal if they have the desire to ensure, that they want us to make an effort to get us back to the EFL or at least in the top half of the conference or just to tread water.
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:21 - May 15 with 6664 viewsNewbury_Dale

Whether he signs it or not, Liam Kelly hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a new contract.
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:33 - May 15 with 6598 views442Dale

After receiving outside consultancy help, was it believed that using statements with information around taking substantial drops in salary would play a positive role in retaining current players and attracting others to the club?

Of course it’s certainly changed from last year when we had a “significantly increased playing budget” due to having “a stable financial platform and cash reserves to be well positioned for next season”.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:34 - May 15 with 6583 views442Dale

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:21 - May 15 by Newbury_Dale

Whether he signs it or not, Liam Kelly hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a new contract.

Certainly an initial concern around McNulty’s decision making.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:45 - May 15 with 6528 viewsHullDale

To be fair - in McNulty's unveiling interview he referenced 'probably the smallest budget the club has ever had' so I don't think today's statement is new news.

It does feel like PR to try & get the fans on side, which they are within their rights to do... but as TS said in another thread the frustration is how transparently they see fans as a commodity rather than a consistent necessity.
2023 Retained/Released List on 18:57 - May 15 with 6470 viewsSandyman

We didn't have the physicality required in the EFL. Far too lightweight and constantly overwhelmed.
We're entering a league that is even more physical. This surely needs to be borne in mind for recruitment and retention purposes.
2023 Retained/Released List on 19:25 - May 15 with 6351 viewsYorkshire_Dale

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:34 - May 15 by 442Dale

Indeed, what also worries me , is whether Jim has decent contacts and phone nos to hand to rebuild our squad. Let's face it, in the 9 years he's been here it's almost all farting around as a bit player and very little as a coach or manager?

Who does he know in the National League? Massive learning curve to know how the likes of Wealdstone and Dorking set themselves up? Can we afford scouts and back up these days?

Poison Chalice jobby.
2023 Retained/Released List on 19:51 - May 15 with 6247 viewsSuddenLad

2023 Retained/Released List on 19:25 - May 15 by Yorkshire_Dale

Indeed, what also worries me , is whether Jim has decent contacts and phone nos to hand to rebuild our squad. Let's face it, in the 9 years he's been here it's almost all farting around as a bit player and very little as a coach or manager?

Who does he know in the National League? Massive learning curve to know how the likes of Wealdstone and Dorking set themselves up? Can we afford scouts and back up these days?

Poison Chalice jobby.

The same poisoned chalice as it was for Keith Hill some years ago. Jimmy McNulty seems to be a popular choice amongst his fellow and former professional colleagues who have taken to social media to express their opinions, or just to 'tick' their approval.

He will no doubt have plenty of contacts around the game and that will help. He also has to appoint an assistant, who will have a vital role to play and I have no doubt he will be asking some familiar names for advice. Why wouldn't he?

He might yet surprise us all and win over the naysayers.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

2023 Retained/Released List on 20:32 - May 15 with 6069 viewsRodingdale

I don’t get much we didn’t already know, we’ve let go everyone we can, apart from Hendo, Brad and Odoh. The ones we want to keep, we obviously don’t want to keep enough to make it attractive to do so and the ten in contract - we don’t know which ones the club want to build a team round and those we have transfer listed.

What I read is we are cutting costs, letting the U18s go, and substantial drop in salary.

Feels more like expectation management than anything else to me, a bit like a profit warning to a plc.

Now if it were balanced with a follow up press release explaining how we were going to increase income / turnover it may go so way to provide some cause for optimism, on its own it sounds like the air being let out of a balloon.
2023 Retained/Released List on 22:34 - May 15 with 5695 viewspioneer

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:45 - May 15 by HullDale

To be fair - in McNulty's unveiling interview he referenced 'probably the smallest budget the club has ever had' so I don't think today's statement is new news.

It does feel like PR to try & get the fans on side, which they are within their rights to do... but as TS said in another thread the frustration is how transparently they see fans as a commodity rather than a consistent necessity.

I very much doubt that the playing budget is the smallest the club has ever had.

I have copies of every years accounts back to seventies somewhere among my trash but cannot be ar*ed to hunt them out. Those dark days of the late 70s had miniscule budgets but as a soundbite it sounds good for Jim. Maybe the consultants told him to say that.
2023 Retained/Released List on 22:46 - May 15 with 5649 viewsEllDale

I agree.
I remember that at the start of Brian Green’s last season we began the campaign with a squad of 14 players. No reserves, no Academy, no juniors, just 14 players.
2023 Retained/Released List on 23:09 - May 15 with 5590 viewsdingdangblue

2023 Retained/Released List on 18:34 - May 15 by 442Dale

If McNulty is mates with Kelly though at least this way it gets him off the hook. Offer him a deal knowing it's not likely to be accepted due to the poor terms.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

2023 Retained/Released List on 04:42 - May 16 with 5423 viewspioneer

2023 Retained/Released List on 22:46 - May 15 by EllDale

I agree.
I remember that at the start of Brian Green’s last season we began the campaign with a squad of 14 players. No reserves, no Academy, no juniors, just 14 players.

I am away from home currently but got the missus to find a copy of the accounts from way back.

The club reported two years accounts 81-2 and 82-3 at the same time.

Year ending 31 May 1983 the entire wage bill for the club, not just playing staff, was 145,000 quid. Thats around 303,000 in 2023 terms. I somehow doubt Big Jim will have less than that in his war chest. Also Compare that with the gate receipts for the year of 55,000 quid. Never has that fan shouting at the players saying “we pay your wages” been further from the truth!

There was a new issue of shares, with each shareholder entitled to purchase 5 new shares at 50p each for every share they held. That raised 25,000 with shares sold to new shareholders raised another 18,000.

The club had just purchased the ground back using a 60,000 loan from the council. It had been sold to euroway car centre in 1980.

Dunphy bought his first shares in 1981-2 reporting period, becoming a board member in the same period. 5600 of them (for an investment of 2800 quid) David Kilpatrick was Chairman with 8660 shares.

There were 4 resignations from the board at the end of the 1981-2 season , Wrigley, Faulks, Trevor Butterworth and…Chris Dunphy. leaving a board with 4 members, Morris, Kilpatrick, Walkden and Dronsfield.

Those who drink the water remember those who dug the well, as the Chinese proverb goes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024