Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread 12:49 - Dec 12 with 49826 viewsE17hoop

Fancy the wins will stop tomorrow. 1-1

Again, don't blame me if the run stops.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Long game on 22:07 - Dec 13 with 2331 viewsLoft1979

2nd that opinion.

A month and a half ago we would NEVER imagine 29 attempts...with the same squad.

In the interests of rotating...hopefully he was saving Sinclair for the weekend game and Lyndon gets to sit for at least 60min.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 22:10]
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:08 - Dec 13 with 2311 viewsactonman

Frustrating as it was but it was only a matter of time before plywood scored if they had 11 on the pitch !
May have been different against 11 as we would have had more space and chances , who knows ?

A different night and we would be happy with a point !

Hopefully it works in our favour and brings us down to earth a bit cos the way we ambled about that first 20 mins was a bit billy big bollox thinking we where too good for them tbh
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:09 - Dec 13 with 2287 viewskomradkirk

0-0 probably the fairest outcome after watching that.
we offered so little for so long.
outplayed when 11 a side , lots of the ball with extra man but no punch.

just a bad night i hope.earlier in the season that lot would have lost to 10 men.
moving quickly onto saturday . a good win to get back on track.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:10 - Dec 13 with 2264 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A draw a fair result. Plymouth resilient and well organised. Even with a man advantage, QPR looked unlikely to break them down.

With so many games in a week, I can understand Marti making changes. Rotating the squad has worked for him in recent weeks but not tonight. QPR were very slow out of the blocks and could easily have been 2-0 down inside 10 minutes. The lack of movement and sloppy passing a complete contrast to everything that was good in the previous match against Hull.

Unfortunately, this set the tone for the rest of the evening. Even with a numerical advantage, QPR looked laboured and bereft of ideas. They lacked movement and didn't move the ball quick enough. Everything was in front of Plymouth, making it easier to defend. Chair, who has been excellent in recent weeks, reverted to being too predictable, always looking to shape for a shot on his right foot rather than pick a simple pass. The introduction of Smyth brought a modicum of threat on the right, getting in behind and creating some dangerous situations that unfortunately QPR couldn't take advantage of.

All in all, I'm frustrated but mindful of the progress Marti has made so I'll reach for the positives. Another clean sheet (3 in a row) and another point on the board. Onwards and upwards!
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:12 - Dec 13 with 2219 viewsrbee

If Marti had slotted Dixon-Bonner in to Colback's position and set us up the same we might have won the game.

After the red card we looked really dangerous, all that the second half required was more of the same but the half time substitutions changed our rhythm.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:13 - Dec 13 with 2164 viewsDamo1962

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:53 - Dec 13 by lave16

Only seen the last 15-20 minutes - Why Kelman instead of Armstrong - does Marti not fancy Sinclair? Seen Richards on he really didn't show anything - for all the play we had we never looked like scoring. Smith the only one who looked dangerous.

For all his limitations, I expect after tonight, Armstrong will be ahead of Kelman in future.Kelman has been giveh enough chances now...and just isn't up to it. Same goes for Kakay, Dozzell and Richards. Marti will have learnt a lot tonight I reckon 🤔
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:14 - Dec 13 with 2147 viewsBoston

A little pissed off is better then being a lot pissed off.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:14 - Dec 13 with 2146 viewsManinBlack

Clearly a missed opportunity to get out of the bottom three failing to beat 10 men at home. The results went our way overall so I guess it could have been worse. I just hope we are not going to go on another run of not being able to score at home. I don't know what it is about teams coming up from league 1 that we can't beat them.

One positive is Plymouth have scored 31 goals compared to our 19 so at least we kept them to nil. The stats suggest they have a better attack than us which could keep them up.
Login to get fewer ads

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:15 - Dec 13 with 2133 viewsstevenagehoop

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:56 - Dec 13 by lassel

I mean that’s just untrue re: Richards, he was constantly offering the option inside for EDB and was repeatedly free at the edge of the area for the ball inside from Chair or EDB that never came.

I know he’s the boo boy, with good reason but he was interested and asking for the ball tonight.

Have to say that his performance did nothing for me. Very lightweight when on ball and can see why he has not featured that often

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:17 - Dec 13 with 2084 viewsWesty75

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:13 - Dec 13 by Damo1962

For all his limitations, I expect after tonight, Armstrong will be ahead of Kelman in future.Kelman has been giveh enough chances now...and just isn't up to it. Same goes for Kakay, Dozzell and Richards. Marti will have learnt a lot tonight I reckon 🤔

Well I didn’t think we were that bad, apart from the first 15. Intensity was there in the second for me, and certainly at the start of the half. As ever, stick one of the chances away and everyone would be happy with the performance. Fine margins and all that…
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:17 - Dec 13 with 2077 viewsstevenagehoop

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:10 - Dec 13 by Benny_the_Ball

A draw a fair result. Plymouth resilient and well organised. Even with a man advantage, QPR looked unlikely to break them down.

With so many games in a week, I can understand Marti making changes. Rotating the squad has worked for him in recent weeks but not tonight. QPR were very slow out of the blocks and could easily have been 2-0 down inside 10 minutes. The lack of movement and sloppy passing a complete contrast to everything that was good in the previous match against Hull.

Unfortunately, this set the tone for the rest of the evening. Even with a numerical advantage, QPR looked laboured and bereft of ideas. They lacked movement and didn't move the ball quick enough. Everything was in front of Plymouth, making it easier to defend. Chair, who has been excellent in recent weeks, reverted to being too predictable, always looking to shape for a shot on his right foot rather than pick a simple pass. The introduction of Smyth brought a modicum of threat on the right, getting in behind and creating some dangerous situations that unfortunately QPR couldn't take advantage of.

All in all, I'm frustrated but mindful of the progress Marti has made so I'll reach for the positives. Another clean sheet (3 in a row) and another point on the board. Onwards and upwards!

Fair enough summary.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:21 - Dec 13 with 1968 viewsDamo1962

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:17 - Dec 13 by Westy75

Well I didn’t think we were that bad, apart from the first 15. Intensity was there in the second for me, and certainly at the start of the half. As ever, stick one of the chances away and everyone would be happy with the performance. Fine margins and all that…

Just a frustrating night.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:22 - Dec 13 with 1968 viewsmart_Goblin

As frustrating as that was …and my god that was infuriating, we still gained a point on all the teams immediately around us . Should be 3 of course but when teams close all the space we really struggle. Will be wide open spaces on saturday on a huge pitch for us to exploit better.

Starting 11 started casual and it set the tone .
Field our best defensive midfielder by a mile but starting to be exposed with the ball. He struggles with the ball at his feet and Dozzell, although better still gives the ball away far too often and he just can’t defend . Before the sending off I thought this was where we were being outplayed .
Kelman didn’t really work for me either but I think he looks better . I just think we have better options . As for Kakay, he stunk the place out. Not sure MC will repeat that starting line up in a hurry .
Just wasn’t quite right tonight.

Win Saturday and this will be a decent point however
The on 22:22 - Dec 13 with 1953 viewsSteveB

Marti's 1st dropped bollock, bringing on Richards. Hopefully we will never see his like again. Chair, after some great games I thought tonight he was back to showing his selfish, shooting self. Woeful, really boils my pss when he decides its all about him.

That first 30 mins, how the bloody hell we survived after giving the ball away in possession at least 10 times. Field, is he getting left behind with MF's way of playing? Absolute liability 1st half. He's been off it last few games. Midfield was non-existent whole 1st half in fact

Willock, went into his shell again after a great 60 mins.

Brilliant shit housing, wonderful 10 man defensive display & awesome support by Plymouth. We really had no idea how to break down that 5-4 defensive shape.

Really enjoyable 0-0 I thought. Piss'd we didn't make it 4/4 though. I'll take the 10 points mind.
The on 22:30 - Dec 13 with 1830 viewsmart_Goblin

The on 22:22 - Dec 13 by SteveB

Marti's 1st dropped bollock, bringing on Richards. Hopefully we will never see his like again. Chair, after some great games I thought tonight he was back to showing his selfish, shooting self. Woeful, really boils my pss when he decides its all about him.

That first 30 mins, how the bloody hell we survived after giving the ball away in possession at least 10 times. Field, is he getting left behind with MF's way of playing? Absolute liability 1st half. He's been off it last few games. Midfield was non-existent whole 1st half in fact

Willock, went into his shell again after a great 60 mins.

Brilliant shit housing, wonderful 10 man defensive display & awesome support by Plymouth. We really had no idea how to break down that 5-4 defensive shape.

Really enjoyable 0-0 I thought. Piss'd we didn't make it 4/4 though. I'll take the 10 points mind.

Not sure Chair makes it all about him. He is trying to win US the game . We put in tonnes of crosses tonight which Plymouth defended well. They doubled and tripled up on Chair and Willock with great affect. When teams do that we have to be clever enough to work out another plan.
We didn’t work it out , but it wasn’t for the want of trying
The on 22:45 - Dec 13 with 1681 viewsSteveB

The on 22:30 - Dec 13 by mart_Goblin

Not sure Chair makes it all about him. He is trying to win US the game . We put in tonnes of crosses tonight which Plymouth defended well. They doubled and tripled up on Chair and Willock with great affect. When teams do that we have to be clever enough to work out another plan.
We didn’t work it out , but it wasn’t for the want of trying

I agree, he is trying to win the game for US, but his attempts at goal tonight were abysmal, high, wide & not very handsome. There were better options available for most of his shooting attempts.

Still love him mind...
The on 22:46 - Dec 13 with 1671 viewsA40Bosh

Just back.

Whilst tonight was disappointing I think it was a point + learning for Marti that the 2nd string replacements he brought in are not to the same standard as the core he was started with.

No goals conceded - tick - but it would have possibly been a much greater test for Jimmy and Ossy if it were not for the sending off.

If I were Marti I would be speaking to Lee Hoos in the morning to check whether the sponsorship for the Laksmi Mittal School End Stand for ÂŁ20m from the Mittal Corporation is nearly complete and ready for purchasing a poacher who is going to find a goal on a night like this.

Still P7 W3 D3 L1 is still a good return from the regime change so far.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:48 - Dec 13 with 1651 viewsBedford_R

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:58 - Dec 13 by Gloucs_R

We're in the bottom 3, ideally we need to win every game... Especially against teams in the bottom 6 when we're at home

This is QPR you're talking about. Who did we beat to stay up last season? Burnley at their place. We'll give one of the top 6 a shock by beating them. Hang on - haven't we done that already this season?

RMH_R Reborn

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:48 - Dec 13 with 1645 viewsed_83

Incredibly frustrated with that. I’m normally a glass half full type but thought we were very poor indeed tonight: so laboured, predictable and slow, nobody willing to take their man on or make something happen, except for maybe Smyth in the last 10 minutes. Every single time we came forward it was stop, turn inside, play a square ball, and then either lose it or cross it into a packed penalty area.

Plymouth defended excellently, but we made life easy for them by playing at walking pace and giving them time to get set every time we attacked. At home, against fellow relegation candidates, with an extra man? We absolutely have to be better than that.

Red card looked harsh in real time from R block but if it was a high tackle then it’s a sending off for sure. Ref did his best to even things up by giving absolutely everything to Plymouth after that, including a couple of fouls in their box which would have been free kicks elsewhere on the pitch. He was also obsessed with the worst kind of inconsistent pedantry, obsessing over the exact placement of each free kick but allowing their keeper to run the clock at will for the entire second half. I counted 8 warnings from the 60th minute onward, then he books him in the 95th; at one point R Block counted 26 seconds before the keeper got rid of it. Useless.

Positives were another clean sheet (Cook was my MOTM for being solid defensively and consistently bringing the ball forward with a bit of urgency) and couldn’t fault the effort on display, but we’ve got to be better at breaking teams down if we want to keep moving up the table.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 22:54]
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:59 - Dec 13 with 1545 viewsbenhurst

Very frustrating game, I think if their keeper gets booked at the first 25-second goal kick then we'd have found something in the end.

Seen Kelman getting a lot of stick which I think is harsh, thought he did fine. Something that's easy to miss when watching online is how often he's making runs behind the centre backs which we didn't make use of once (Dixon-Bonner particularly guilty of this in the second half). Same with Richards, didn't really get much of a chance on the ball but looked lively (somehow managed to get flagged offside whilst backing into a defender which I'm not quite sure about)

Very tricky one to rate for Dykes - none of his chances are ones where you'd get annoyed for him for missing but got a decent connection on so many crosses that you'd expect at least one to find its way in.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 23:06 - Dec 13 with 1481 viewsHAYESBOY

Would have liked to have seen Smyth and Armstrong on earlier. Could maybe understand Armstrong not coming on as Plymouth had dropped deep and Armstrong is better with the game stretched with space to run into.
Chance missed to get out of bottom 3 which would have been a good mental boost for the squad.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 23:08 - Dec 13 with 1463 viewsflynnbo

There’s a group near me who blame Dykes for absolutely everything, it’s so repetitive and think they’re so funny. I do wonder whether they’ve ever played the game or coached in any capacity. Mind you, they’ve probably played Championship Manager. Thick as mince having a go at your own players is nearly as bad as booing the team off at half time which some also did tonight.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 23:13 - Dec 13 with 1425 viewsnumptydumpty

It was decent although 29 shots at goal.

I must have been at another game.

We didn't lose and kept a clean sheet.

We were poor where it mattered but there were still lots of positives for me.

I think team selection is to prevent injuries and on couple occasions now Martis first half team seem to be deliberately weaker so we can push on from hopefully at least level pegging at half time.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 23:15 - Dec 13 with 1413 viewsed_83

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:59 - Dec 13 by benhurst

Very frustrating game, I think if their keeper gets booked at the first 25-second goal kick then we'd have found something in the end.

Seen Kelman getting a lot of stick which I think is harsh, thought he did fine. Something that's easy to miss when watching online is how often he's making runs behind the centre backs which we didn't make use of once (Dixon-Bonner particularly guilty of this in the second half). Same with Richards, didn't really get much of a chance on the ball but looked lively (somehow managed to get flagged offside whilst backing into a defender which I'm not quite sure about)

Very tricky one to rate for Dykes - none of his chances are ones where you'd get annoyed for him for missing but got a decent connection on so many crosses that you'd expect at least one to find its way in.

Dykes isn’t perfect by any means but those headed chances were all incredibly difficult - at least one cross was behind him, so he had to crane his neck round to make contact, let alone generate any power. Slow build-up play, poor crossing, Plymouth defending in numbers: this was one where the quality of service, rather than Dykes’ finishing, was the main issue.

There was one moment in the first half where we knocked an early ball over the top for him to chase, and he turned their centre half around and won a corner. We then didn’t try it again all game, in favour of knocking it around in front of their back 5. I found our refusal to occasionally try something more direct pretty baffling.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 23:25]
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 00:15 - Dec 14 with 1239 viewsbenhurst

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 23:15 - Dec 13 by ed_83

Dykes isn’t perfect by any means but those headed chances were all incredibly difficult - at least one cross was behind him, so he had to crane his neck round to make contact, let alone generate any power. Slow build-up play, poor crossing, Plymouth defending in numbers: this was one where the quality of service, rather than Dykes’ finishing, was the main issue.

There was one moment in the first half where we knocked an early ball over the top for him to chase, and he turned their centre half around and won a corner. We then didn’t try it again all game, in favour of knocking it around in front of their back 5. I found our refusal to occasionally try something more direct pretty baffling.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 23:25]

Definitely agree with the second bit - both Dykes and Kelman were pretty consistently making similar runs to that moment for the entire game and were completely ignored by everyone behind them
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024