Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! 09:45 - Jan 23 with 1265 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61770/why-it-has-to-be-2

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 12:41 - Jan 23 with 1146 viewsButty101

Well you would be wrong. It’s 21! Give me a cup win over promotion anyday

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 13:25 - Jan 23 with 1118 viewsSaintNick

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 12:41 - Jan 23 by Butty101

Well you would be wrong. It’s 21! Give me a cup win over promotion anyday

Whether people would prefer to win the cup than promotion isnt what the article is about, it is about unbeaten runs.

Arsenal are known for their invincibles season of 2003/04 when they went the entire Premier League season without defeat, but that season was splattered with defeats in the cup, In September & October in the Champions League, In january/feb two semi final leg defeats in the Carling Cup and then again in April two defeats in the FA Cup and Champions league.

So as an unbeaten record in all competitions the best unbeaten run was 18 games and knocked out of all the cup competitions, but in the Premier League they were 38 games unbeaten and are henceforth known as the Invincibles.

In an ideal dream we would choose to win the FA Cup rather than go up, but it isn't ideal and State owned football clubs are out there in the FA Cup waiting for us.

So what matters as all Arsenal fans will tell you is being unbeaten in the League, they are known as the Invincibles because of that, no one claims they are not because of their defeats in cup competitions, at the end of 2003/04 they were 38 unbeaten

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 15:03 - Jan 23 with 1081 viewsLondonSaint76

This is one of those subjects where as soon as statistics get involved it can get a bit skewed as it all depends on the criteria you base the stats on. I get both sides of the argument on this one, you can look at it from a League games only perspective or an all competitions perspective and come up with different answers.
Here’s another stat to throw into the mix - Saints had a 24 match unbeaten run in the Southern League way back in the mid 1890’s but that rarely gets mentioned as it is technically classified as non-League. However, the Southern League was of a very high standard proven by a the fact Southern League teams actually got to several FA Cup finals - indeed, Saints played in 3, the 1900 Final + 1902 and 1902 Replay - and Spurs went one better winning the FA Cup as a Southern League side.
This is not a nit-pick or me trying to be a pedant, far from it, as you will see at the end of the post, it’s just illustrating another example of how records can vary according to the criteria the stats are based on.
Not disputing the 20 game League record, it is exactly what is says on th tin, likewise the 21 all comps record, not disputing that either. I will delve deeper into the history books regarding that 24 match unbeaten League match run in our SL days, perhaps that could be referred to as our all time record? Albeit SL not FL. RM is quite rightfully being hailed as a record breaker for the 20 League games unbeaten but my suspicion is he’s bagged the all time record with 21 in all completions because although the SL unbeaten run in the mid 1890’s was 24 games that’s only League games so there must be an FA Cup defeat in the middle of that run somewhere as we didn’t get to any 1890’s Cup Finals so by my reckoning RM has bagged an all time Club record of 21 unbeaten in all comps in the Club’s entire history all the way back to 1885. To be confirmed, but it looks like it could be the best all comps run in the entire 139 years history of SFC 🙂⚽️🙂

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 10:53 - Jan 26 with 891 viewsDeargDoom

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 15:03 - Jan 23 by LondonSaint76

This is one of those subjects where as soon as statistics get involved it can get a bit skewed as it all depends on the criteria you base the stats on. I get both sides of the argument on this one, you can look at it from a League games only perspective or an all competitions perspective and come up with different answers.
Here’s another stat to throw into the mix - Saints had a 24 match unbeaten run in the Southern League way back in the mid 1890’s but that rarely gets mentioned as it is technically classified as non-League. However, the Southern League was of a very high standard proven by a the fact Southern League teams actually got to several FA Cup finals - indeed, Saints played in 3, the 1900 Final + 1902 and 1902 Replay - and Spurs went one better winning the FA Cup as a Southern League side.
This is not a nit-pick or me trying to be a pedant, far from it, as you will see at the end of the post, it’s just illustrating another example of how records can vary according to the criteria the stats are based on.
Not disputing the 20 game League record, it is exactly what is says on th tin, likewise the 21 all comps record, not disputing that either. I will delve deeper into the history books regarding that 24 match unbeaten League match run in our SL days, perhaps that could be referred to as our all time record? Albeit SL not FL. RM is quite rightfully being hailed as a record breaker for the 20 League games unbeaten but my suspicion is he’s bagged the all time record with 21 in all completions because although the SL unbeaten run in the mid 1890’s was 24 games that’s only League games so there must be an FA Cup defeat in the middle of that run somewhere as we didn’t get to any 1890’s Cup Finals so by my reckoning RM has bagged an all time Club record of 21 unbeaten in all comps in the Club’s entire history all the way back to 1885. To be confirmed, but it looks like it could be the best all comps run in the entire 139 years history of SFC 🙂⚽️🙂

You are correct, in 1896-97 we went 24 league (Southern league ) games unbeaten (all that season plus the last 4 matches of the previous season). So the all time club record is 24 league matches unbeaten. But in Feb 1897 (I believe Feb 20th), we lost an FA Cup 2nd round replay to Newton Heath (Man Utd) 3-1, thus our unbeaten run record in all competitions ended at 21 (this includes Southern League and FA Cup). So as it stands the all time club record stands at 21 (all comps) and 24 (league).

We have also beaten the longest run unbeaten away (Football League) which stood at 9 (1949 & 1984), but are currently equal with the longest unbeaten league away record all time which is 10 in 1896-7. Just to highlight the Southern League in 1896-7 consisted of 11 teams only, so we went through the whole season unbeaten, but that is 20 matches.

All stats from "Saints" [Chalk & Holley]
Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 15:43 - Jan 26 with 831 viewsdirk_doone

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 10:53 - Jan 26 by DeargDoom

You are correct, in 1896-97 we went 24 league (Southern league ) games unbeaten (all that season plus the last 4 matches of the previous season). So the all time club record is 24 league matches unbeaten. But in Feb 1897 (I believe Feb 20th), we lost an FA Cup 2nd round replay to Newton Heath (Man Utd) 3-1, thus our unbeaten run record in all competitions ended at 21 (this includes Southern League and FA Cup). So as it stands the all time club record stands at 21 (all comps) and 24 (league).

We have also beaten the longest run unbeaten away (Football League) which stood at 9 (1949 & 1984), but are currently equal with the longest unbeaten league away record all time which is 10 in 1896-7. Just to highlight the Southern League in 1896-7 consisted of 11 teams only, so we went through the whole season unbeaten, but that is 20 matches.

I like your username

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 17:18 - Jan 26 with 771 viewsLondonSaint76

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 10:53 - Jan 26 by DeargDoom

Impressive stating! I guessed there must have been an FA Cup defeat in that 24 match League run somewhere, Gary & Duncan do a superb job making all those stats available and much more besides...
Cheers

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 17:31 - Jan 26 with 759 viewsdirk_doone

Personally, I'd prefer 22

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 17:46 - Jan 26 with 748 viewsLondonSaint76

Why It Has To Be 20 Games Undefeated Rather Than 21 ! on 17:31 - Jan 26 by dirk_doone

Personally, I'd prefer 22

Give it until about 4pm Sunday, hopefully...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024