Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. 09:48 - Feb 20 with 1442 viewsGRIM

Joe Tessem who I liked as a player & now as a pundit has made comments about Sekou Mara being too slow to be a good striker.
Not sure about that Joe, just consider some of the best strikers we've had over the years including Martin Chivers / Ron Davies / Alan Shearer / Rickie Lambert none of them were blessed with blistering pace in fact Mara is probably quicker & more mobile than all of them.
Not saying Mara is in the same lge as those mentioned but it just proves that if you're good enough you can get by without being quick (eg. MLT). But having pace is a big asset but speed of thought & a good football brain are both more essential.
Mara has had a difficult intro to English football & he has struggled but of late their have been green shoots.
He's a young man still learning & is definitely improving with game time.
What he has got is a good attitude & that'll help.
Keep it up Sekou.
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 09:56 - Feb 20 with 1413 viewsButty101

I thought he didnt really take his chance against West Brom. Didnt really link play up or show as an outlet.
I think if we go up he needs to go on loan and get a full season under his belt .

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 10:02 - Feb 20 with 1411 viewsManhattan_Lynx

All I see is the next Thierry Henry, so I'll have some of what the Norwegian David Prutton is smoking, merci beaucoup.
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 11:05 - Feb 20 with 1330 viewsBerber

All valid comments. In short, he needs to man up. He can’t get faster, but he can learn how to use what he has got better.
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 11:11 - Feb 20 with 1321 viewsPatfromPoole

Jo Tessem had better not be venturing down to the dressing room, as he will despatched with some aplomb by our (not from) Bordeaux starlet.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 12:29 - Feb 20 with 1206 viewsIfonly

I think Tessem has a point. You're right about Ron Davies etc. but the game has moved on, even since Rickie Lambert. MLT has said before that he (MLT) wouldn't make it in today's game. Neither would many of the traditional centre forwards. Strikers are asked to do different things these days and basically need to be faster and more mobile.

In my opinion you could still build a successful team around a slow player or 2, but that is not what most modern coaches are looking to do. Part of the problem with Mara is that he doesn't have the strength and power to compensate for a lack of electric pace. You mention Shearer who didn't have great pace, but he was bullying defenders from his very first game.

All in all I'm undecided about Mara. It's too soon to write him off, but he's got work to do. Good luck to him, I hope he succeeds.
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 1088 viewssaintwizzler

He looked quick off the mark at Hull when he stopped a certain goal.
PatFromPoole wasn’t there.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 14:18 - Feb 20 with 1039 viewsPatfromPoole

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 13:43 - Feb 20 by saintwizzler

He looked quick off the mark at Hull when he stopped a certain goal.
PatFromPoole wasn’t there.

I can’t help but feel that this chase-back at Hull is becoming the stuff of legend, such is the frequency with which it is referred to.

Certainly has to be up there with Gascoigne’s goal against Scotland in Euro 96 as events I will forever regret not having seen in the flesh.

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 17:10 - Feb 20 with 927 viewsPatfromPoole

To be semi-serious and address Tessem’s comments…..

I feel that if you don’t have pace as a striker, then you need to possess at least two of the following attributes:-

- be great in the air

- be all-action and really make an impact on the game

- hold the ball up really well and bring others into the game

- be a natural goalscorer (you can get away without any of the above if you tick this box)

With the best will, I don’t think Mara possesses any of these attributes.

He has scored some useful goals in the last 2 or 3 weeks, particularly against Huddersfield, and that goal may yet have a big impact on our season.

I do try to look at the positives, despite what some say.

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 19:41 - Feb 20 with 823 viewsAvior

As Bill Shankly said of Bob Latchford (Everton) "He's a deceptive runner - he's a lot slower than you think"
Joe Tessem says that Sekou Mara is too slow. on 21:56 - Feb 20 with 740 viewsPatfromPoole

Awaiting the Mara apologists defend that performance of his tonight.

Suicidal team selection.

Mara and Manning.

You would have thought the manager would have learned by now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024