Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Media campaign to help save our football club. 01:33 - Feb 22 with 1463 viewsTalkingSutty

During the Morton House saga we did a fantastic Job of getting our story out into the National media, we contacted local councillors and politicians and i think this is a tactic that as fans we could all get involved with. Simon Gauge wants to sell the club and his main priority is to recoup his money, the long term future of the club doesn't come first. I could be wrong on that front but I don't think so. I don't really blame him for wanting his money back neither but its the club that we are interested in saving so let's take the Chairman's needs out of the equation.

It seems ludicrous when you think about it that a asset rich but cash poor historic football club could be only weeks away from liquidation. It doesn't seem right, a club with over 100 years of history. In a election year this would serve as a major embarrassment for a Government that has constantly harped on about sorting the finances of football out and looking after the little clubs....they don't want another Bury and because of that I think there would be possible intervention. Andy Burnham doesn't want another Bury neither and the fact we are in shouting distance of Gigg Lane and he's the Mayor of Greater Manchester will also put pressure on him to act. The timing is right for us to go down this route and it could buy us much needed time, maybe attract a creditable investor and also deter shysters who won't want to get involved in a high profile club which is in the media spotlight.

Could the Trust alongside the fans not issue a hard hitting statement outlining the severity of our situation and specifically include mention of the long standing Government promises, the fact we are a neighbouring club to Bury FC and if we are allowed to go out of existence it will be seen as a failing of the Government, Andy Burnham and the local councillors in this an election year. This is a different route than our Chairman would take because he has finances tied into the club which is his priority. I sent a similar message to Simon Gauge probably more that twelve months ago, regarding this sort of approach and he replied saying that he had attended a meeting about future governance or something and that was that. I also sent a copy to our two journalistic supporters who agreed with the idea in principle, basically sending out a National SOS via the media and pressurising the Government/politicians/Council. It would need the Trust to lead it though, they are the voice of the fans.

I also think a link to the David Clough story and video which was narrated by Richard Wild would have a impact and tug at the heartstrings of potential investors who want to help the club so include that. I think as fans we need to now all come together and fight to save the club. Ignore the doom and gloom message from Simon Gauge. He's holding a gun to the head of all of us and its about time we told him enough is enough and got hold of the club ourselves, alongside others who have no vested financial interests in it but have skill set or finances to help us. Put some pressure on the Government, Burnham, RMBC and see what comes up. Both Oldham and Bury councils have recently invested in their clubs and we have had council ownership of the ground before. They would be investing in a community asset. Can we be certain all these routes will have been thoroughly investigated by a Chairman and Directors who are more intent on recouping their investment than saving the club and planning for its long term future? I still think a community football club with the council part owning the stadium is a real possibility, rename it the Rochdale Community Stadium and work alongside other service providers, access funding etc. Time is quickly running out though so any campaign would have to start now. I think as a Trust and fan base we need to start making a real noise and appeal for help rather than hoping Simon Gauge suddenly magics up a suitable investor that will have the best interests of the club at heart. I'd suggest that notion is now a pipedream and we need to row our own boat as fans.

[Post edited 22 Feb 4:12]
Media campaign to help save our football club. on 11:08 - Feb 22 with 1108 views49thseason

TS, Simon and the board will not be getting any money back, thats why he says he will convert his loans to equity (shares), to help clear the debts. Like everyone else who owns shares he might at some point be able to sell them, for instance, if we were to become a Premiership club, but the reality is he has lost half a million quid trying to keep heads above water. I get that you don't like the guy but he deserves some respect for trying and putting a big chunk of his own money on the line to do so.
You probably won't like anyone who buys the club either, and you might be right but hard cash talks...... and will decide the clubs future if it has one. Its too late for fancy deals, and chucking money in buckets, we need a buyer, simple as, and if it means holding our collective nose, that's what we will have to do.
This is going to be bumpy, it always is, but if we get to watch football at the COA next season it will be as big a victory as any on the pitch.
Media campaign to help save our football club. on 11:46 - Feb 22 with 1011 viewsTalkingSutty

Media campaign to help save our football club. on 11:08 - Feb 22 by 49thseason

TS, Simon and the board will not be getting any money back, thats why he says he will convert his loans to equity (shares), to help clear the debts. Like everyone else who owns shares he might at some point be able to sell them, for instance, if we were to become a Premiership club, but the reality is he has lost half a million quid trying to keep heads above water. I get that you don't like the guy but he deserves some respect for trying and putting a big chunk of his own money on the line to do so.
You probably won't like anyone who buys the club either, and you might be right but hard cash talks...... and will decide the clubs future if it has one. Its too late for fancy deals, and chucking money in buckets, we need a buyer, simple as, and if it means holding our collective nose, that's what we will have to do.
This is going to be bumpy, it always is, but if we get to watch football at the COA next season it will be as big a victory as any on the pitch.

I don't know Simon Gauge personally, never heard of him until he turned up as the new Chairman. I don't even recognise him from attending games, so there is no long standing dislike of him. I've seen his performance since he took over the club and took the time to speak to him. I think he's been a disaster as a Chairman, his personality isnt engaging, he's totally ignorant when it comes to engaging properly with the fan base and his decision making has been shown to be all over the place. Totally the wrong person to be fronting the club and attracting the right buyer, all he ever does is talk the club down. He also makes false promises to the fans in relation to how the club is being run and the state of the finances. You obviously think he's a grand chap who doesn't deserve criticism, i disagree with you.

His fellow Directors are also responsible for the demise of the club,irrespective of how much money they've put into buying shares. They decided to run the club as they saw fit once they purchased the MH shares, totally ostracising the fans and shareholders. I'm judging them on what I've seen over the last couple of years and the contradictory statements they've issued etc. I can sugar the evidence up to make it more palatable for you if you want but apart from pouring their money into shares and the club none of them have been fit for purpose in regards to running a football club. They decided to get involved off their own bat, it was their own decisions and down to them to find out what they were getting in to, they can't blame anybody else. It was fantastic what they did and we all rejoiced at the time, they issued a statement which suggested that they had a credible plan on how they intended to run the club but we never saw it materialise. They even put out a statement boasting about how the clubs finances were in good health going forward, barely 12 months later the Chairman was talking about liquidation. Is it any wonder a lot of fans have lost all faith in those running the club? So please don't insunuate its a personal dislike I have, I've been consistent since they bought back the MH shares and suddenly put the club up for sale without consulting the shareholders or the Trust.
[Post edited 22 Feb 12:10]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024