Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... 10:36 - Jan 11 with 6715 viewsRochblue

Not surprising really...

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/rochdale/s/1470288_da
Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 16:33 - Jan 13 with 1289 viewsAtThePeake

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 16:13 - Jan 13 by fitzochris

I did a degree in journalism and then got the NCTJ Certificate, which is a necessity for getting into local press. I then got my NCE Certificate.

I don't have a sports specific qualification (there wasn't one when I was training about 12 years ago, although I believe there is one now).

After doing work at local papers and news agencies, I was lucky enough to be offered a job as deputy sports editor on a regional daily paper in Scotland after a trial. My qualifications told them I was a competent journalist, but they obviously wanted to test my sporting knowledge out, hence the trial.

I then put the graft in and was nominated for Sports News Writer of the Year at the Scottish Press Awards in 2007. This gave me a door into the nationals and I ended up doing loads of stuff for them.

I was offered full time work with no contract - so declined. Ironically, my full-time job now has nothing to do with sport, although I still do the odd game for the nationals now and again.

Ta mate.

I'm doing my NCTJ's next January, so hopefully those, combined with the degree and the experience of the job with Socanalysis will help me along

Tangled up in blue.

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 16:40 - Jan 13 with 1272 viewsfitzochris

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 16:33 - Jan 13 by AtThePeake

Ta mate.

I'm doing my NCTJ's next January, so hopefully those, combined with the degree and the experience of the job with Socanalysis will help me along

I'm sure it will. Just watch out on the nationals though. It's very hard to get a contract off them. While they're giving you work it's great (and pays really well) but they can drop you in an instant if they have budget cuts, and they're not bound to any of the legalities they would need to adhere to with their full-time staff.

If you're paying a mortgage and all that caper, like I was at the time, it's worth giving it a swerve on a full-time basis.

Pay is the major issue elsewhere of the nationals. I still regret leaving the post I held on the regional paper though - or did until I heard they made it redundant last year.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 19:02 - Jan 13 with 1237 viewsBeechball

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 14:48 - Jan 13 by TVOS1907

Barrow was appointed during the close season.

He's talking about Bury isn't he ?
Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 19:07 - Jan 13 with 1221 viewsTVOS1907

Dale rule out Flickers, put faith in Beech... on 19:02 - Jan 13 by Beechball

He's talking about Bury isn't he ?

Aye, suppose he is reading it back.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024