Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst Weather Watching the Dale 19:41 - Mar 7 with 4765 viewsVespaDale

Obviously the Carlisle, Andy Fvckeray, window wiper wheel nut trophy game, mistake will pop up a few times...

But mine is - Macc away about 3-4 seasons ago, absolutely leathered it down & people starting to leave before HT as we were drenched & CRAP!!! Macc made it 2-0 round the 50th minute mark so we left. Got to the pub & everybody stripped off & filled the radiators with sodden clothing... Only for Dale to grab a draw 2-2, well worth the drenching!!!
Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 12:05 - Mar 8 with 1088 viewsTVOS1907

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 09:38 - Mar 8 by maybee

Here's a few...

Rain: Carlisle AWS game. Never been as wet...even in the shower.

Cold: Doncaster away in 80's. So cold that Nigeria Mark bought a Bovril and poured it over his feet.

Honourable mention to Accy away a few years ago when it snowed. I had just returned from Thailand that day, so the change in climate really hit home.

Fog: Mansfield, again away in 80's. We stood behind the goal, and could not see beyond the centre circle all match. Abiding memory... suddenly seeing their black centre forward zoom out of the fog...chased a second or two later by our bemused defenders!!! Memory number two: In second half, as we attacked the end we could see...all the Dale fans celebrating numerous "pretend" goals, which could not be seen from the home end.

Snow: Preston away. Game called off about 15 minutes before kick off. Getting off their car park was hilarious!!

Drizzle: Port Vale away , at a guess in late 70's. Possibly a League Cup game, but not sure. There were only about 20 odd Dale fans there, and it never stopped the sort of heavy drizzle that soaks you through all night. To make matters worse, we lost, and then the police kept us in for about 15 minutes at the end.

Remember that Mansfield game - even Keith Hicks scored that day ... or he claims he did!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 12:16 - Mar 8 with 1083 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

Grimsby Town away centenary year that were bloody cold and wet

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 17:04 - Mar 8 with 1045 viewspnc4eva1

Fog - Doncaster away the season they went down and nearly went under. Can recall Edwards running back from a third of the way up the pitch to tell us we had scored. We won 3 nil and never saw a goal. On the way out they turned off the lights in the bogs and my wife was in them. She never has forgiven me.

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 17:12 - Mar 8 with 1040 viewsRobbiebox

I Remember about 20 years ago a tuesday night at Scarborough when the snow was that bad they had to move us at half time from the open terrace to the main stand.
Another 1 was boxing day at preston in a game that should have been abandoned before half time as the ball was just sticking in puddles - the ref bottled it cos pne were 3-0 up.
Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 18:14 - Mar 8 with 1021 viewsolympicdale

The game v York bout 10 or so years back, never seen a worst pitch at Spotland, Paddy McCourt and his great through ball the obvious stand out from that game. The Accy game away when Perkins got sent off was the wettest I've ever been to, and the game at Spotland before Hill (Lincoln?) was called off at HT.

Life is a game of fate.

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 18:37 - Mar 8 with 1012 views442Dale

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 12:16 - Mar 8 by DaleAwaydayBot

Grimsby Town away centenary year that were bloody cold and wet

The away end is under cover!

Maybee's PNE mention is a good one. Only Dale could be involved in a postponement on a plastic pitch.

There were numerous games in the 80s that were played in horrible weather on unfit Spotland pitches. The second half of the 85-86 season were basically games on rolled mud.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:10 - Mar 8 with 999 viewsBartRowou

Steve Taylor's second coming was particularly soggy (Hereford at home) plus there was an FA Cup 3-1 defeat at Nottingham County where it was too foggy to see past the half-way line (they probably got up to all sorts of law-breaking at the other end).

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:21 - Mar 8 with 989 views442Dale

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:10 - Mar 8 by BartRowou

Steve Taylor's second coming was particularly soggy (Hereford at home) plus there was an FA Cup 3-1 defeat at Nottingham County where it was too foggy to see past the half-way line (they probably got up to all sorts of law-breaking at the other end).

Think Hughes got their third after nutting Andy Farrell.

Login to get fewer ads

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:24 - Mar 8 with 988 viewsBartRowou

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:21 - Mar 8 by 442Dale

Certain fans will never acknowledge who scored Rochdale's goal that day. Talk about holding a grudge.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:45 - Mar 8 with 976 viewsTVOS1907

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:21 - Mar 8 by 442Dale

Actually, it was Ryan Lowe.

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:48 - Mar 8 with 970 views442Dale

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:24 - Mar 8 by BartRowou

Certain fans will never acknowledge who scored Rochdale's goal that day. Talk about holding a grudge.

It was Andrew Thackeray.

He should have been at right back at the time.

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:50 - Mar 8 with 967 viewsTVOS1907

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:48 - Mar 8 by 442Dale

It was Andrew Thackeray.

He should have been at right back at the time.

Was Eyre the manager then?

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:53 - Mar 8 with 965 viewsBeechball

Anyone else remember Port Vale in March 85 ? Murderously cold - I couldn't face standing in the open end so stood in the main stand with the home fans and kept quiet. We lost 3-1 , Robbie Earle with a big Afro got their first and Frank Gamble got our consolation.
Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:54 - Mar 8 with 960 viewsTVOS1907

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:53 - Mar 8 by Beechball

Anyone else remember Port Vale in March 85 ? Murderously cold - I couldn't face standing in the open end so stood in the main stand with the home fans and kept quiet. We lost 3-1 , Robbie Earle with a big Afro got their first and Frank Gamble got our consolation.

I do.

That was the first away game I went to that wasn't at Bury, Halifax or Stockport.

I thought Vale Park was huge.

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:55 - Mar 8 with 960 views442Dale

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:50 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

Was Eyre the manager then?

Possibly. Thackeray had worn the sky blue too.

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 05:00 - Mar 9 with 891 viewsVespaDale

Worst Weather Watching the Dale on 19:10 - Mar 8 by BartRowou

I thought I imagined that notts cheaty game... didnt we just see the ball come flying towards us near the end & it rattled the bar? Then they went & wrapped the game up?

I remember some kind of bar at the back of the stand that sold cans of red stripe but you couldnt walk away with them had to swig em there... I mustve been tipsy!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024