Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This could be our best ever team 14:17 - Sep 16 with 2183 viewshoof_hearted

yeah, yeah we didn't win but I think we looked classy and accomplished against the champions of europe (painful and clearly not the best in europe but it is a fact).

We've seen better blood and guts performances and we've seen high scoring wins but the overall quality of the team performance has to be the best I've seen since the glory days of 1976 and it has to get better as they gel more and more.

I think I may actually be right (and currently sober).

This could be our best ever team on 13:41 - Sep 18 with 374 viewshoof_hearted

This could be our best ever team on 13:35 - Sep 18 by DesertBoot

Let's see how we get on against the likes of Reading and Southampton in the league before we get carried away.
Easy to raise your game in a London derby in a game with so much media hype around it.

We didn't raise our game in 2 of the 3 games we played against Chelsea last season and even if we don't beat Southampton and Reading the make up of our team is still the best ever. It's up to Hughes to make them into the team that achieves the most.
This could be our best ever team on 13:59 - Sep 18 with 368 viewsA40Bosh

This could be our best ever team on 13:41 - Sep 18 by hoof_hearted

We didn't raise our game in 2 of the 3 games we played against Chelsea last season and even if we don't beat Southampton and Reading the make up of our team is still the best ever. It's up to Hughes to make them into the team that achieves the most.

If we use the home game against them last October as the point of reference, what I was most pleased about was last year, the 12th man was very much a contributing factor in setting us up for a win which our actual footballing prowess during that game did not warrant. This year it was the team on the pitch which performed and deserved a minimum of a point.

Last season at LR it was US versus the scum, and the distruction of Mata's and others confidence by the constant barricking by the supporters anytime a Chelsea player went near the crowd, was a vital part in helping us limp over the line in what could have been an embarrassing defeat if we had given the lead away to a 9 man opposition at hime.

This year whilst I was reasonably confident that we would not get another hiding similar to that at Stamford Bridge last term, I did not expect us to match them as a footballing side the way that we did. We certainly bossed the midfield for our fair share of the game, took the game to them and whilst I agree that the defence is not yet the finished article, I was impressed with the way we stood firm and pretty much blunted their attack for most of the game.

So whilst I agree it is way too early to begin comparing this current squad with those squads from 75/76 and early nineties, this group has the potential to become a very good QPR side over the coming 2-3 years.

My concern is that regardless of AJ's injury, we still seem to be some way from having the cutting edge to score goals and this will have to be worked on over the coming weeks so that we use these type of performances against the top 4 sides as stepping stones to be able to put lesser teams to the sword to ensure mid table mediocracy becomes a reality in January and not left in doubt come May.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

This could be our best ever team on 14:01 - Sep 18 with 363 viewsmacclesfieldman

I agree this is easily our strongest team/squad for 15 years or more.
I could even agree that the squad is stronger than the squad of 75/76 (our reserves that season were Ron Abbott, Tony Tagg, Peter Eastoe, Don Shanks and Mick Leach, none of whom would make our current squad)
but the starting 11 of today cannot be compared:

Phil Parkes bought from Walsall for £15k, full England international and sold for a world record fee for a keeper.

Dave Clement came up from the juniors and earned full england caps
Frank McLintock bargain buy from Arsenal and ex full Scottish int
Dave Webb bargain buy from chelsea.
Ian Gillard came up from the juniors and earned full england caps

Dave Thomas, bought for £200k from Burnley and earned full England caps
Gerry Francis came up from juniors and captained Rangers at 18 and England at 22. The only Ranger to ever captain England and our greatest ever captain.
Don Masson, bargain buy from Notts County and became full Scotland cap
John Hollins bargain buy from Chelsea. Uncapped

Don Givens bargain buy from Luton record scorer for ROI at the time
Stan Bowles bargain buy from Carlisle and earned full England caps. the greatest ever Ranger.

We finished runners-up to Liverpool with 59 pts (with 3 points for a win we would have had 80 points) and remained unbeaten at home.
The following season we reached the EUFA Cup QF (losing a penalty shoot-out to AEK Athens) and the League Cup semi final, losing the relay to aston Villa.
Then the decline started!

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

This could be our best ever team on 14:11 - Sep 18 with 344 viewsdaveB

This could be our best ever team on 10:14 - Sep 18 by hoof_hearted

Part of the point is that the Premier League is now at a level far higher than any top level league of whatever name that we previously played in. I would say that the Championship is about the level of the old first division bar the top few at that time. So if we are mid-table this season that will outrank all but 75/76.

Another part of the point was that we have never had a team with world cup winners and champions of europe in it so we have the best team ON PAPER at least.

As has been so rightly pointed out above, though - let's win an effing game and prove it

don't believe the hype about how much better football is these days. Plenty of teams in the old first division would do fine nowadays. The likes of Hoddle, Barnes, Waddle, Gazza, Wilkins, Sheedy, Trevor Steven, Mcmahon, Hansen and co were all techincally much better players than most of the current head down and run merchants.

You can't tell me that Anton Ferdiand and co are better defenders than Danny Maddix, Fenwick, Paul Parker or Macca. Fabio is not on the same planet as Ian Dawes let alone Clive Wilson and the Bard was a far better player than Onoura and Bosingwa. I could go on and compare Ferdinand with Zamora but that's just getting silly and thats only looking at the 80's and 90's. Go back further into history and we've had far better teams than this one.

Honestly one 0-0 draw and we're the greatest ever, we've not even been in the lead yet this season and we want to suggest this team is better than ones who got to cup finals, won at Old Trafford and put six past Chelsea. The worlds gone mad
This could be our best ever team on 15:47 - Sep 18 with 328 viewshoof_hearted

This could be our best ever team on 14:11 - Sep 18 by daveB

don't believe the hype about how much better football is these days. Plenty of teams in the old first division would do fine nowadays. The likes of Hoddle, Barnes, Waddle, Gazza, Wilkins, Sheedy, Trevor Steven, Mcmahon, Hansen and co were all techincally much better players than most of the current head down and run merchants.

You can't tell me that Anton Ferdiand and co are better defenders than Danny Maddix, Fenwick, Paul Parker or Macca. Fabio is not on the same planet as Ian Dawes let alone Clive Wilson and the Bard was a far better player than Onoura and Bosingwa. I could go on and compare Ferdinand with Zamora but that's just getting silly and thats only looking at the 80's and 90's. Go back further into history and we've had far better teams than this one.

Honestly one 0-0 draw and we're the greatest ever, we've not even been in the lead yet this season and we want to suggest this team is better than ones who got to cup finals, won at Old Trafford and put six past Chelsea. The worlds gone mad

You've given a list of players who played at around the same time but for several different teams. So by that comparison you can have back this lot: (all in the last 12 months)

Tevez
Parker
Rooney
Van Persie
Modric
David Silva
Hazard
Yaya Toure
Kompany
Granero
Grant Holt

Our defence know is not so great but hang on...a few world cup appearances in there loads of international caps and a champions league between them. They're rubbish. Not to damn Ian Dawes or Clive Wilson who were great players but they were only as good as what we have now if I'm feeling conciliatory. I'd swap anyone for another Macca but Nelsen did a reasonable impression on Saturday.

I started this with tongue firmly in cheek but apart from "we haven't won yet" nothing can be said to trash the theory. And it is only a theory which backs up well only ON PAPER (so far).
This could be our best ever team on 15:49 - Sep 18 with 326 viewshoof_hearted

This could be our best ever team on 14:01 - Sep 18 by macclesfieldman

I agree this is easily our strongest team/squad for 15 years or more.
I could even agree that the squad is stronger than the squad of 75/76 (our reserves that season were Ron Abbott, Tony Tagg, Peter Eastoe, Don Shanks and Mick Leach, none of whom would make our current squad)
but the starting 11 of today cannot be compared:

Phil Parkes bought from Walsall for £15k, full England international and sold for a world record fee for a keeper.

Dave Clement came up from the juniors and earned full england caps
Frank McLintock bargain buy from Arsenal and ex full Scottish int
Dave Webb bargain buy from chelsea.
Ian Gillard came up from the juniors and earned full england caps

Dave Thomas, bought for £200k from Burnley and earned full England caps
Gerry Francis came up from juniors and captained Rangers at 18 and England at 22. The only Ranger to ever captain England and our greatest ever captain.
Don Masson, bargain buy from Notts County and became full Scotland cap
John Hollins bargain buy from Chelsea. Uncapped

Don Givens bargain buy from Luton record scorer for ROI at the time
Stan Bowles bargain buy from Carlisle and earned full England caps. the greatest ever Ranger.

We finished runners-up to Liverpool with 59 pts (with 3 points for a win we would have had 80 points) and remained unbeaten at home.
The following season we reached the EUFA Cup QF (losing a penalty shoot-out to AEK Athens) and the League Cup semi final, losing the relay to aston Villa.
Then the decline started!

This could be our best ever team on 15:56 - Sep 18 with 320 viewsSuffolkHoop

Can we win a match before we think of being the best QPR team ever please?
This could be our best ever team on 16:00 - Sep 18 with 317 viewshoof_hearted

This could be our best ever team on 15:56 - Sep 18 by SuffolkHoop

Can we win a match before we think of being the best QPR team ever please?

Well who would have thought of that.
Login to get fewer ads

This could be our best ever team on 16:01 - Sep 18 with 315 viewsdaveB

This could be our best ever team on 15:47 - Sep 18 by hoof_hearted

You've given a list of players who played at around the same time but for several different teams. So by that comparison you can have back this lot: (all in the last 12 months)

Tevez
Parker
Rooney
Van Persie
Modric
David Silva
Hazard
Yaya Toure
Kompany
Granero
Grant Holt

Our defence know is not so great but hang on...a few world cup appearances in there loads of international caps and a champions league between them. They're rubbish. Not to damn Ian Dawes or Clive Wilson who were great players but they were only as good as what we have now if I'm feeling conciliatory. I'd swap anyone for another Macca but Nelsen did a reasonable impression on Saturday.

I started this with tongue firmly in cheek but apart from "we haven't won yet" nothing can be said to trash the theory. And it is only a theory which backs up well only ON PAPER (so far).

yeah some good players in that list but you were suggesting football nowadays is light years better than before so to finish mid table would be the same as finishign 5th. I think finishing 5th in a league with the likes of Hoddle, Rush, Daglish, Cantona, Hansen, Waddle, Gazza etc playing in shouldn't be so easily dismissed,

I also never said we were rubbish but come on Clive Wilson just only as good as Fabio, did you see him at Norwich? Wilson was on a different planet to any left back we've had in the last 17 years. You must have a short memory if you think Fabio is even close to him. Parker, Maddix, Wilkins, Ferdinand, Sinton, Bannister would all walk into this current side. It's crazy to think otherwise.

For me if you are going to pick our best ever team it needs to be players who have done something with us, we may well have big names who have done great things for other clubs but for us, they've achieved less than the likes of Dean Coney at the moment.
This could be our best ever team on 16:02 - Sep 18 with 310 viewsSuffolkHoop

This could be our best ever team on 16:00 - Sep 18 by hoof_hearted

Well who would have thought of that.

I realise that's been pointed out already.
This could be our best ever team on 16:03 - Sep 18 with 309 viewshoof_hearted

"COULD BE" means it isn't....yet
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024