Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn 14:29 - Jun 5 with 17142 viewsQPRDave

About 10 mins ago they had Harry on saying "Any interference and he is Off!!!
If we don't get him the players he wants he's Off!!!
1st target he wants in .........Wayne Bridge
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:14 - Jun 6 with 2047 viewsRangersw12

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 13:59 - Jun 6 by TheBlob

Speak for yourselves.
I
Don't
Want
To
Stay
In
The
F*cking
Championship.
I spent a lifetime hoping for the top tier,I'm not going to languish in lachrymose mediocrity because it's more comfy.What's the matter with people?Is it something in the water that's made mice out of human beings?

FFS.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

If selling our soul and having a ground full of tourists and day trippers is the alternative....Championship or lower for me thanks

Stick your overhyped premier league football up your arse
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:21 - Jun 6 with 2023 viewsbaz_qpr

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 12:45 - Jun 6 by QPunkR

I'd love that for QPR personally. My favourite time as an Rs fan was in Division 2 under Ollie. Football's about much more than just winning. How many teams in the entire country have even the merest sniff of winning the Premiershite? 4, 5 tops. So football is more about hope, and enjoying the day-to-day (ha, 'enjoying', that's a word I haven't associated with football in the last coupla years)

Equally, the problem is there's no way back for us, or you, because there's been so much money invested and owed to people (even if they are the current owners) that the only people able to buy either club now are extremely rich, probably foreign, oligarchs who won't be happy scrabbling about in the Championship/League 1/League 2.
For our clubs, we've grown too much (at least in terms of debt/expenditure) to ever to be able to return to what we knew. And that just makes me sad more than anything

I take it you are quite young, this is the period when we looked like going out of business every day, we had the biggest budget in the league yet failed to win it. Half full grounds dreadful football etc. I'm sorry it was crap, and it was completely unsustainable for the club.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:31 - Jun 6 with 2005 viewssix_foot_two

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:14 - Jun 6 by Rangersw12

If selling our soul and having a ground full of tourists and day trippers is the alternative....Championship or lower for me thanks

What games to you go to where the ground if full of tourists and day trippers ?
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:42 - Jun 6 with 1985 viewsRangersw12

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:31 - Jun 6 by six_foot_two

What games to you go to where the ground if full of tourists and day trippers ?

Where do you think the fans are going to come from to fill this new ground that Fernandes keeps banging on about !

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:52 - Jun 6 with 1958 viewsdanehoop

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:42 - Jun 6 by Rangersw12

Where do you think the fans are going to come from to fill this new ground that Fernandes keeps banging on about !

If you are playing Premiership football in West London they will come. Lot of the Scandi R's I know came to QPR on whim, holiday visit to London or for other fairly indirect reasons. They ended up hooked and coming as regulars for years, irrespective of the divisions we've ended up in. If they hadn't come the first time, that probably wouldn't have happened.

I wasn't aware that we had a special screening process in place to define our required fan type. Must have missed that chapter of the pompous bull pages of my supporters guide.

Never knowingly understood

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 15:42 - Jun 6 with 1895 viewsTW_R

"Championship or lower for me thanks"

Doesn't that remove the need for a league and the chance of promotion then? If you don't want your team to progress and win things what's the point in going? You may as well just watch the summer friendlies and ignore the rest.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:01 - Jun 6 with 1856 viewsadhoc_qpr

IF anyone turns up to support QPR on match day they are welcome as far as i'm concerned.

Even if they are a tourist trying us out or someone who just wanted to go to London based game - they may well catch the bug and become a fully committed fan (although probably not if they went to a home game last season...).

We might mock Fulham's fanbase and neutral stand etc, but a realistic 4 year plan (oo er) for us is to emulate them - promotion to prem, mid-table stability, increased stadium size and fanbase, steadily improving quality on the pitch and a good influx of youth team players breaking through to the 1st team with a sensible wage bill.

Obviously a rich owner had to let them off the hook for large in-house debt to achieve financial stability, but i can imagine we'll be in the same boat looking for TF to do the same!
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:02 - Jun 6 with 1850 viewsVancouverHoop

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 15:42 - Jun 6 by TW_R

"Championship or lower for me thanks"

Doesn't that remove the need for a league and the chance of promotion then? If you don't want your team to progress and win things what's the point in going? You may as well just watch the summer friendlies and ignore the rest.

Not necessarily. I grew up watching Isthmian and Athenian League "amateur" football. There was no automatic promotion/relegation. To go up or down a club had to be elected or demoted, and it didn't happen all that often. It had little effect on the actual matches though. There were a couple of clubs at the bottom who never seemed to shift, but if anything, rivalries grew stronger through familiarity, and cup games – when you did play teams out of your league – far more important than they are these days.
Login to get fewer ads

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:14 - Jun 6 with 1822 viewsTheBlob

Very nice of you to say so.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:57 - Jun 6 with 1780 viewsTW_R

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:02 - Jun 6 by VancouverHoop

Not necessarily. I grew up watching Isthmian and Athenian League "amateur" football. There was no automatic promotion/relegation. To go up or down a club had to be elected or demoted, and it didn't happen all that often. It had little effect on the actual matches though. There were a couple of clubs at the bottom who never seemed to shift, but if anything, rivalries grew stronger through familiarity, and cup games – when you did play teams out of your league – far more important than they are these days.

Well, it's a fair point but I meant in terms of watching QPR really.

If you don't want to watch your team try to do the best it can and progress, then the "amateur" type set-up you mention is probably the best option.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 17:19 - Jun 6 with 1750 viewsswitchingcode

Harry will be gone by July,been planning his exit since march.cant come soon enough for me.Ainsworth deserves a chance
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 18:11 - Jun 6 with 1702 viewsVancouverHoop

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 16:57 - Jun 6 by TW_R

Well, it's a fair point but I meant in terms of watching QPR really.

If you don't want to watch your team try to do the best it can and progress, then the "amateur" type set-up you mention is probably the best option.

I do think we all want the team to grow, and the club to be the best it can be. But given the way football is organised these days it makes that hard to define what that means.

You have five or six teams at the top of the Premier League who stand a chance of winning it. There's another 20—30 clubs below them who are, more or less, competitive with each other, but not with the top six. QPR is one of them. Financial rewards aside, what we have to ask ourselves, as supporters, is whether we think it's worthwhile being in the top sixteen of that group. For our owners it is. The Championship has the same exposure internationally as the Evo-Stik Southern League, they can't afford to spend much time there. But in your terms, as someone who is regularly physically present at matches (I only get to see R's games when we're in the Prem [see above]) how much of a sense of exhilaration and achievement is there in avoiding relegation every year? Because for the foreseeable future I think that's what success in the Premier League will mean for us. I believe each season will end, like this one, in despair, or in relief, but any joy will be pretty thinly spread.

I'm actually waiting to see if, or when, one of the 20—25 clubs in the effective second tier ever declines promotion from the Championship. On the face it that sounds stupid because cash-wise the pay-off is so high, but it's possible that someone will decide, that on balance, the light of the Prem isn't worth the price of the candle.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 19:15 - Jun 6 with 1648 viewsAntti_Heinola

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 20:12 - Jun 5 by Neil_SI

Yeah I know what you mean. That's why I think some people are blinded or misguided by the PR and hype. We should be careful what you wish for sometimes, especially with things like this. If the spirit and the soul of the place changes in an adverse manner — it's very difficult, because it will change forever and there's no turning back.

Those changes are happening without much regard for the history, tradition or culture of the club. The board are not in a position of knowledge or experience to know any better and their lack of understanding of matters contributes to that and isn't something you can gain quickly — if at all.

I just think what bugs me is the lack of common sense applied to filling a stadium and there are many examples out there where clubs have built big shiny new things and can no longer fill them.

For me, the club needs to prove it can sell out, week in, week out, for a number of years, both in the Championship and Premier League, before even considering or contemplating increasing the capacity to the levels they're talking about, or moving to a new stadium.

I'm pretty sure Southampton and Arsenal both had huge waiting lists for years and years before they moved, they worked out which and how many of those were likely to be hardcore season ticket holders, or lifers, and based their decision to increase the capacity only when they really believed that the average was going to be substantially higher.

There needs to be proof of demand first, because a half empty Loftus Road at 19,000 can still be an intimidating place with a good atmosphere, but a half filled 35,000 won't. The bigger you go, the worse the experience becomes and it will affect the performances on the pitch too, as that emptiness devalues the game and translates through to the players.

But above all, it's just the way and manner it's being done. I'd gulp and go with it if I felt it was being done for the right reasons, but I see no evidence that is the case. I don't see anything organic about anything these people have done, not the current owners or the previous ones.

Obviously some of us are in a situation where we've never experienced a move before, whereas some will have, but it makes me feel very uneasy. I don't believe they are good enough to get it right. They might be good enough to build an excellent multi-purpose venue, but I don't think they have a clue about community values, culture, history, heritage or the impact doing this can have on the spirit and soul.

I am even struggling with that now. The more I go the more I can't help but feel or say to myself "this isn't QPR anymore" and it's nothing to do with not allowing change, it's just the change is not happening in the right spirit.

Woah, woah, woah there old son. You may be a tactical whizz, but there's some serious bending of ideas going on here. Southampton had big waiting lists? What? When? Arsenal? Not even filling Highbury regularly as late as 1994, possibly later.

There's a lot of nonsense in this thread - particularly the 'football men' stuff, which I've sounded off about before. No one knows what or who these legendary 'football men' are. That's because most of the good ones go into a club as essentially non-football men but learn from experience. Dave Bassett's a football man and look at Sheff U. Terrifying.

Swansea have done great, well done to them. But Swansea were f*cked in a worse way than even we have ever been not so long ago. They're on a fine upward curve. Good for them. But it's much easier to build your base when you've got nothing and a blank canvas and the relatively level playing fields of leagues one and two than when you're fighting to stay in the Premier League without having a proper pre-season of planning because the previous owners played silly buggers all summer.

I see where you are coming from Neil, and I reserve my right to be highly sceptical too, but your words irk me when I know what FANTASTIC work the Community Trust has been doing and is continuing to do, and how much of Warren Farm (if you've read the literature) is going to be lending to the community. To say they have no idea about the community is frankly insulting and above all nonsense. They have certainly gone about building the first team badly. You have no argument there. And frequently their communication and understanding of the fanbase has been poor. But I think they're learning and I think in time they will get a lot better. They're not like football managers - we can't just fire them and find other people. These ARE our people now, and the best we can do is make ourselves heard. They have admitted mistakes and I believe they want to learn and develop. As Dein did. As Levy has.

And I'm sorry but our need for a new stadium is paramount waiting around for another 5 years and then another 5 to build it is wasting time. It's a lovely stadium, but it's cramped and horrible and facilities are useless. That doesn't matter to me, it certainly doesn't matter to Clive, he's made that abundantly clear, but it DOES matter to a lot of other football fans. It's important. Size is another argument, but 30,000 is hardly a ridiculous figure if you want to be ambitious. 45k yes, I think is silly. Design etc, all important.

And as for the spirit and soul changing and 'there's no return' - stop being so melodramatic. We'll all still be here. We're the soul.

I think there's a lot of condescension here, as there is towards managers sometimes too. It's 'Look, this is complex stuff - you don't know how to handle it, but we, us fans, do.'

Bare bones.

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 19:22 - Jun 6 with 1637 viewsAntti_Heinola

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 14:52 - Jun 6 by danehoop

If you are playing Premiership football in West London they will come. Lot of the Scandi R's I know came to QPR on whim, holiday visit to London or for other fairly indirect reasons. They ended up hooked and coming as regulars for years, irrespective of the divisions we've ended up in. If they hadn't come the first time, that probably wouldn't have happened.

I wasn't aware that we had a special screening process in place to define our required fan type. Must have missed that chapter of the pompous bull pages of my supporters guide.

It's the new snobbish football fan that has appeared over the last few years, dane. Not very nice.

Bare bones.

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 20:38 - Jun 6 with 1565 viewsBasingstokeR

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 19:15 - Jun 6 by Antti_Heinola

Woah, woah, woah there old son. You may be a tactical whizz, but there's some serious bending of ideas going on here. Southampton had big waiting lists? What? When? Arsenal? Not even filling Highbury regularly as late as 1994, possibly later.

There's a lot of nonsense in this thread - particularly the 'football men' stuff, which I've sounded off about before. No one knows what or who these legendary 'football men' are. That's because most of the good ones go into a club as essentially non-football men but learn from experience. Dave Bassett's a football man and look at Sheff U. Terrifying.

Swansea have done great, well done to them. But Swansea were f*cked in a worse way than even we have ever been not so long ago. They're on a fine upward curve. Good for them. But it's much easier to build your base when you've got nothing and a blank canvas and the relatively level playing fields of leagues one and two than when you're fighting to stay in the Premier League without having a proper pre-season of planning because the previous owners played silly buggers all summer.

I see where you are coming from Neil, and I reserve my right to be highly sceptical too, but your words irk me when I know what FANTASTIC work the Community Trust has been doing and is continuing to do, and how much of Warren Farm (if you've read the literature) is going to be lending to the community. To say they have no idea about the community is frankly insulting and above all nonsense. They have certainly gone about building the first team badly. You have no argument there. And frequently their communication and understanding of the fanbase has been poor. But I think they're learning and I think in time they will get a lot better. They're not like football managers - we can't just fire them and find other people. These ARE our people now, and the best we can do is make ourselves heard. They have admitted mistakes and I believe they want to learn and develop. As Dein did. As Levy has.

And I'm sorry but our need for a new stadium is paramount waiting around for another 5 years and then another 5 to build it is wasting time. It's a lovely stadium, but it's cramped and horrible and facilities are useless. That doesn't matter to me, it certainly doesn't matter to Clive, he's made that abundantly clear, but it DOES matter to a lot of other football fans. It's important. Size is another argument, but 30,000 is hardly a ridiculous figure if you want to be ambitious. 45k yes, I think is silly. Design etc, all important.

And as for the spirit and soul changing and 'there's no return' - stop being so melodramatic. We'll all still be here. We're the soul.

I think there's a lot of condescension here, as there is towards managers sometimes too. It's 'Look, this is complex stuff - you don't know how to handle it, but we, us fans, do.'

Agree with a lot of this too especially the "football people" bit.

Dan Ashworth is an exception, not one of many in this country.

Sometimes seems a bit like the QPR constant "new blood" craving is now crossing over from the team and manager towards the board and club staff too.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 21:42 - Jun 6 with 1463 viewsCiderwithRsie

I hate the premiership for its uncompetitive nature, the way it's set up to allow the clubs with most money to dominate, the vast prices which only go into the pockets of agents and mercenaries....

BUT

that doesn't mean I want a team pootling around in mid-table of the lower leagues happily accepting that the likes of C*****a are going to rule the roost forever. The whole point of sport is to excel and I want a QPR team that can play at the highest level possible.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 22:55 - Jun 6 with 1375 viewsTheBlob

A Bridge too far?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-redknapps-qpr-quit-threat-1936

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 23:22 - Jun 6 with 1346 viewsNeil_SI

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 19:15 - Jun 6 by Antti_Heinola

I have no reason to bend ideas, we're just discussing things here, no more, no less and perhaps I've not expressed myself well enough in written form.

I think you're misunderstanding some of my points — I never said big waiting lists for Southampton or Arsenal — but both those clubs reached a point where they were selling out reguarly over a sustained period of time, and had fans who couldn't get tickets for games that ran into reasonable figures relative to those clubs at the time.

I am merely pointing out that we need to sell out more often and on a more consistent basis for a little while longer — is that not some form of common sense? I am not against growth at all — I just want to see it done well.

What I meant by growth is look at The Dell. It had a 15K capacity and when they moved to St Mary's their average attendances looked like this:

2012—13: 30,874 (Premier League)
2011—12: 26,419 (The Championship)
2010—11: 22,160 (League One)
2009—10: 20,982 (League One)
2008—09: 17,849 (The Championship)
2007—08: 22,253 (The Championship)
2006—07: 23,556 (The Championship)
2005—06: 23,614 (The Championship)
2004—05: 30,610 (Premier League)
2003—04: 31,699 (Premier League)
2002—03: 30,680 (Premier League)
2001—02: 30,633 (Premier League)

The early Premier League years doubled their capacity — but that somewhat masked the hardcore/lifers from the casuals, which is better represented by their Championship and League One years. It's risen from the 15K The Dell held to the low 20s — and is a very respectable figure of organic growth. They would have of course picked up some new hardcore/lifers from those Premiership years over a 'generation' period, so that's all good, and of course, something that could happen for us.

What do you think ours will be?

Manchester United are also a good example of upgrading their stadium intelligently. Look at how they've grown and evolved their stadium based on success and demand over time. Perhaps we need to build a 25K or a 30K first, with an upgrade path to higher capacities? But so far all the talk has been about 35K to 45K and there's no real evidence yet that we could do those numbers consistently. That's not to say we won't get there, but we need to work hard to get there (and need some obvious success over a 'generation' period to help facilitate that growth).

The Community Trust do fantastic work, I agree, but that is run by people who understand the history and culture of the club and the area. But, I suppose this raises the obvious point that The Community Trust is a separate entity to the club and became so in 2009. A smart move on Andy Evans' part — it gives that team more freedom and control over their own destiny and their own identity. It also probably means less restrictions imposed on them from the club as well.

When I talk about those kind of matters — I am talking about the owners and upper management who I've met and talked with. It's without malice as well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that assessment. They are smart businessmen, but they're not football men nor are they sportsmen in my view — though I suppose I make that assumption because I have been able to talk to them one to one on some occasions and have been left with that impression at this time.

From a community perspective — maybe you're right, maybe they do understand and instead they just don't care (which would be worse) or don't view it as a high priority in terms of their business agendas (a shame). For me, I grew up around there, I lived across the road to the stadium. It's my home, it's what I've always known as a kid and is familiar and makes me comfortable.

Indeed, whenever I return to Shepherds Bush, it feels like I am coming home and QPR is the only reason why I go 'home'. The club leaving the area has an impact on the community there — it will also cause struggle for businesses that are heavily reliant on match day trade and on a personal and selfish level, I'd have no reason to go back 'home'.

When I say there's no going back, that's the kind of stuff I am talking about, because all of your regular experiences will change, and some of those places you visit fondly may also not last because of that change. For me, that's a fair concern to have, even if it has to happen. In the end, only if it happens will we really truly appreciate its impact, for better or for worse.

We also did/do have a pretty blank canvas to play with — and the money to do everything beautiful well. There's still opportunity for us — still a chance — and still hope that it will all work out fabulously.

I'm comfortable with my view on things and how I see it, but as ever, am always open to change those thoughts over time and perhaps I've come across negatively in my posts, but I desperately want them and everybody connected to the club to do well.

I suppose really it simply boils down to concerns and worry that it won't go so well and through my experiences and interpretation — I've seen a lot of things that are warning signs for me and raised my alarm bells in a way that hasn't happened for me before. If it doesn't for the next person, then absolutely fair enough. Everybody is entitled to see things their own way and I respect that.

As for the condescension comment, you're pretty wide of the mark in terms of my view personal view about that, and it's certainly not about that for me.

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 23:33 - Jun 6 with 1317 viewsQPRDave

Bridge gone to Reading eh? We are about as attractive as a leper in a wind tunnel.
We ain't going up.......another 15 years on the horizon
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 01:09 - Jun 7 with 1234 viewsKiwi76

Ambivalent about Bridge and way too early to be getting angsty and just reading nonsense article about Harry blowing his stack - he's leaving isn't he and sooner the better if this is going to carry on.
Backed big time in Jan and clearly has support to restructure over summer but choosing to issue these ultimatums every other day - whats modern day equivalent of picking a fight in a phone box?!
Had my backing if commited to fight but getting completely fecked off with this nonsense
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 02:54 - Jun 7 with 1208 viewsSonofNorfolt

Patronising supporters of other London teams especially, often say, that we punch above our weight.
Like we did in the '70's, top London club, '74,'75,'76, the '80's, TLC '84, & '88, and even the '90's, TLC '93. Growing up during this time, I realise how much we took this for granted.
Last summer it seemed as if we were on course to certainly be at least as near to a level playing field as we were going to get.
As I make the half century next year, all I would like to see is us actually win something, like Wigan the other week, that could have been us, no more fu cking bridesmaid or plaudits for being a 'nice club' something concrete, or better still silver plate.
I WANT TOP LEVEL FOOTBALL AND A NEW STATE OF THE ART STADIUM WITH A ROOF, AND A TROPHY CABINET WITH MEANINGFUL ITEMS IN IT.
Boll ocks to going to Barnsley on a Tuesday night, I've had enough, so when TF means to take this club forward, I hope that his vision is the same as mine.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 04:54 - Jun 7 with 1181 viewsCanadaRanger

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 02:54 - Jun 7 by SonofNorfolt

Patronising supporters of other London teams especially, often say, that we punch above our weight.
Like we did in the '70's, top London club, '74,'75,'76, the '80's, TLC '84, & '88, and even the '90's, TLC '93. Growing up during this time, I realise how much we took this for granted.
Last summer it seemed as if we were on course to certainly be at least as near to a level playing field as we were going to get.
As I make the half century next year, all I would like to see is us actually win something, like Wigan the other week, that could have been us, no more fu cking bridesmaid or plaudits for being a 'nice club' something concrete, or better still silver plate.
I WANT TOP LEVEL FOOTBALL AND A NEW STATE OF THE ART STADIUM WITH A ROOF, AND A TROPHY CABINET WITH MEANINGFUL ITEMS IN IT.
Boll ocks to going to Barnsley on a Tuesday night, I've had enough, so when TF means to take this club forward, I hope that his vision is the same as mine.

+1
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 05:25 - Jun 7 with 1174 viewsLandofoz89

Harry Redknapp giving it straight to Tony Fernandez via the media.....no suprises there.
As for Wayne Bridge as a potential, it will not do much for Traore's confidence to hear he's being replaced by someone 10 years his senior.

Meet me by the railway track

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 10:15 - Jun 7 with 1119 viewsTW_R

Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 18:11 - Jun 6 by VancouverHoop

I do think we all want the team to grow, and the club to be the best it can be. But given the way football is organised these days it makes that hard to define what that means.

You have five or six teams at the top of the Premier League who stand a chance of winning it. There's another 20—30 clubs below them who are, more or less, competitive with each other, but not with the top six. QPR is one of them. Financial rewards aside, what we have to ask ourselves, as supporters, is whether we think it's worthwhile being in the top sixteen of that group. For our owners it is. The Championship has the same exposure internationally as the Evo-Stik Southern League, they can't afford to spend much time there. But in your terms, as someone who is regularly physically present at matches (I only get to see R's games when we're in the Prem [see above]) how much of a sense of exhilaration and achievement is there in avoiding relegation every year? Because for the foreseeable future I think that's what success in the Premier League will mean for us. I believe each season will end, like this one, in despair, or in relief, but any joy will be pretty thinly spread.

I'm actually waiting to see if, or when, one of the 20—25 clubs in the effective second tier ever declines promotion from the Championship. On the face it that sounds stupid because cash-wise the pay-off is so high, but it's possible that someone will decide, that on balance, the light of the Prem isn't worth the price of the candle.

"......how much of a sense of exhilaration and achievement is there in avoiding relegation every year?"

I think that's a fair point, but my expectations of last season were that we were going to build on the "not getting relegated" from the season before. So we go from avoiding relegation to being a good, mid-table footballing side. I want to see QPR play good, attractive football and creating goal scoring chances. I've never expected us to win the top flight - QPR don't do that - but I would be very happy to see us play the kind of football that saw us finish 5th in the Prem back in the 90s. I never went to those games thinking we would beat Leeds or Man Utd, but there was alway a chance because of the way we played.

"I'm actually waiting to see if, or when, one of the 20—25 clubs in the effective second tier ever declines promotion from the Championship. On the face it that sounds stupid because cash-wise the pay-off is so high, but it's possible that someone will decide, that on balance, the light of the Prem isn't worth the price of the candle."

I think you've answered your own question there. Clubs can't afford to turn it down and why would they? You could go up, cash in on the £100 million (or whatever it is now) without spending a penny more, take the cash and drop back down and take 4 seasons of parachute payments.
Harry Redknapp Breaking news ssn on 10:25 - Jun 7 with 1098 viewsPommyhoop

How can anyone say they dont want there team to compete at the highest level possible?Thats just bollx and does'nt make sense.And of course the last 2 years I saw nearly every Rangers game live (Fcuking LIVE!!!) so man up you sour grape whingers amd think of us Expats.!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024