Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A personal appeal - non QPR 16:19 - Jul 5 with 2976 viewsDaBurgh

As you guys are my only link to west london, i need some info please, and any help you could give would be very gratefully appreciated. My 28 year old son who lives in harefield is going through a personal crisis. He's a bit lost at the moment and unable to find his place in society. He has been a heavy user of cannabis for almost 15 years and he wants to firstly kick this habit before he can start to think straight. So if any of you know about this or even work in this field then any help you can give me would be great. How does he get into this type of program? and what is the first step? Once again thanks in advance. I'm sure the QPR family will have some answers for me.

A personal appeal - non QPR on 17:38 - Jul 5 with 2873 viewssimmo

My friend had cannabis psychosis after years of us all smoking, he was commited for a while and then found help through these people

www.marijuana-anonymous.co.uk/‎

It was one of many that he tried to be fair and in the end it was all but an intervention that helped him. He is best going to his GP (although most GP's are shite for that in my experience). There are also other things like FRANK that I dont know to much about personally but seem to be set up for this type of issue, especially in young people.

Best of luck to him but what took me away from it was an alternative. Get a hobby/activity that doesnt revolve around staying in and doing fck all. Get a season ticket, take up running, join a gym. Anything that releases positive endorphins and keeps you active. I had a baby, but I wouldnt recommend that as an option....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

A personal appeal - non QPR on 18:03 - Jul 5 with 2857 viewsDaBurgh

Thanks Simmo good advice. He is coming to stay with me in France for a couple months from September, I'll try to get him back into golf, as we used to play together back in London.
A personal appeal - non QPR on 18:17 - Jul 5 with 2840 viewssimmo

A personal appeal - non QPR on 18:03 - Jul 5 by DaBurgh

Thanks Simmo good advice. He is coming to stay with me in France for a couple months from September, I'll try to get him back into golf, as we used to play together back in London.

Perfect. The environment is key. The same old friends and places etc always hard to get away from. A clean break elsewhere is ideal.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

A personal appeal - non QPR on 19:26 - Jul 5 with 2777 viewsMarc

Kicked the habit six years ago, my mental state has improved greatly.
A personal appeal - non QPR on 15:25 - Jul 6 with 2622 viewsTHEBUSH

Try, Focus 12, it's on the internet,
A personal appeal - non QPR on 15:58 - Jul 6 with 2595 viewsDaBurgh

cheers, I'll have a look
A personal appeal - non QPR on 16:18 - Jul 6 with 2583 viewsbosh67

These 4 centres are a bit of a way away but worth contacting. One of my best friends had a heroine addiction at about the same age. He beat that and now is one of the most successful skateboard park owners in the country. I think, as he was in Dorset, it was the Dorset place.

http://www.providenceproject.org/index.html Dorset

http://castleaddictions.co.uk/
http://www.castlecraig.co.uk/ Both Scotland - Castle Craig is pretty well known.

http://promis.co.uk/ Kent

Most can take patients via NHS referral I believe.

Re golf, that's a brilliant therapy. Sport generally is. If you can do it together it really does focus the mind and the fresh air and exercise will help immensely. Plus at 28 golf is a sport you can still get serious about. I know a lot of people in it so stay in touch on that. We are doing something with dementia in golf, but the game can actually help with many issues.

This is also another interesting site

http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/about

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

A personal appeal - non QPR on 16:56 - Jul 6 with 2545 viewsQPR_10

Tell him to try the
Old Bank House in Uxbridge
They have two centres, HDAS and HAGAM
Both you can just drop in for advice and they will take you on for councelling
HAGAM is an excellent service
It's just past Tesco and opposite McDonalds
Tell him Good Luck xx

"COME ON YOU SUPERHOOPS"

Login to get fewer ads

A personal appeal - non QPR on 18:44 - Jul 6 with 2481 viewsDaBurgh

Thanks very much guys..
A personal appeal - non QPR on 20:30 - Jul 6 with 2431 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best of luck to you both.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A personal appeal - non QPR on 21:09 - Jul 6 with 2410 viewstraininvain

A personal appeal - non QPR on 17:38 - Jul 5 by simmo

My friend had cannabis psychosis after years of us all smoking, he was commited for a while and then found help through these people

www.marijuana-anonymous.co.uk/‎

It was one of many that he tried to be fair and in the end it was all but an intervention that helped him. He is best going to his GP (although most GP's are shite for that in my experience). There are also other things like FRANK that I dont know to much about personally but seem to be set up for this type of issue, especially in young people.

Best of luck to him but what took me away from it was an alternative. Get a hobby/activity that doesnt revolve around staying in and doing fck all. Get a season ticket, take up running, join a gym. Anything that releases positive endorphins and keeps you active. I had a baby, but I wouldnt recommend that as an option....

Good advice.

Running is a very common and useful way to break the habit. I started going gym soon afterwards and haven't smoked anything in four years after 10 years of quite heavy blazing. I now go gym or some other form of exercise pretty much everyday. It can be quite addictive in itself!

This part is not so easy- I moved away from where I was living and broke ties with a lot of mates to make a fresh start. Not saying that everyone needs to do the same but it certainly helped me.
A personal appeal - non QPR on 21:12 - Jul 6 with 2404 viewsloftboy

Good luck to your son hope he gets through it all. This thread should be printed off and given to anyone who wants to legalise the shite.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

A personal appeal - non QPR on 23:05 - Jul 6 with 2358 viewsGloryHunter

I've smoked dope since I was 18 - that's 40-odd years. Not so often these days - maybe every couple of weeks or so. I've never understood how it can be addictive, because one puff of good weed is enough to get me off my head for the evening, and I won't fancy it again for a good few days. But I gave up tobacco 30 years ago and only smoke it neat. Whilst I've got mates who still roll those big 5-skin joints with a load of tobacco and just a sprinkled flavouring of hash on the top. They smoke every day, have terrible coughs and in my opinion they are tobacco addicts - but they'll never admit it. One of them died of lung cancer last year.

This probably won't help your son's situation, but it's a point I think needs discussing.
A personal appeal - non QPR on 06:30 - Jul 7 with 2317 viewstraininvain

I think that different people react to it in different ways.

Also shouldn't underestimate the difference between a bit of weed or hash and high grade skunk. In my experience the latter is a lot stronger and more addictive.
A personal appeal - non QPR on 10:01 - Jul 7 with 2274 viewsDaBurgh

A personal appeal - non QPR on 06:30 - Jul 7 by traininvain

I think that different people react to it in different ways.

Also shouldn't underestimate the difference between a bit of weed or hash and high grade skunk. In my experience the latter is a lot stronger and more addictive.

thanks to everyone.. any thing that you have to say on the subject helps. I never indulged when i was younger so i need to understand as much as possible.
cheers!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024