Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fans... 11:31 - Dec 13 with 8804 viewsbangorjack

I apologise in advance for any repetition of other threads, but I'm finding the negativity of some of our fans incredibly irritating, and I've been thinking about why people have the opinions that they do.

The way I see it, we have 4 broad groups of fans.

1) "Longterm hardcore" - have suffered through the tedious years where mediocrity was a pipe dream. Part of the furniture, and if (god forbid) everything goes tits up and we end up back in the bowels of League 2, will still turn up week in week in week out.

2) "Glory hunters" - Everyone denies being one, but without doubt we do have these people following us. Generally detectable by the fact that they bring their kids to the Liberty in Man Utd shirts. Currently enjoying their second spell with the club and among the more vocal when it comes to criticism.

3) The converts - may have started as occasional watchers/glory hunters, but have caught the bug and now have no way back.

4) "Younger generation" - we have a group of fans who due to their age have only ever known us to be on an upward spiral. They may well have started supporting us in the lower leagues, but the worst they've had to endure is finishing mid-table in the championship. They've seen some of the best football this club has ever produced, and are not used to us "struggling" ( if being in the top half of the prem and in the last 32 of EL counts as struggling). As time goes on, the members of this group will either become part of the "longterm hardcore" or "glory hunters".

Before everyone starts having a go at me, I know not everyone will fit in to a specific group, but broadly I feel this is who follows us. Those who have endured years of crap are (I imagine) the people who are currently viewing what we are achieving as incredible.

On the note of people finding things boring at the minute, I think that a lot of that is to do with our aims. In the Championship, it's exciting looking ahead and aiming for promotion. Aiming to finish mid-table (which undoubtedly is a massive achievement for this club) is less exciting, and doesn't really have the same "thrill" to it. 2 years ago we had the thrill of avoiding relegation. Last year we had the thrill of winning the cup. This year, although Europe should be a thrill, the fact it's affecting our league form seems to be taking the shine off it.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, but just wanted to put my feelings out there.
Our fans... on 14:17 - Dec 13 with 2067 viewsSpratty

Our fans... on 14:13 - Dec 13 by Darran

How long you been doing that?
I'll explain why I asked when you answer it isn't a go at you.

Just started last week
Our fans... on 14:39 - Dec 13 with 2032 views2face

Our fans... on 12:15 - Dec 13 by MrSwerve

I find it incredibly sad that posters have to precede their opinions with "I have supported the swans for 20-30 years but..." - as they know any negativity will result in the usual suspects telling them they are plastics, or telling them to fukoff and support the scum.

I feel lucky that we are where we are now, it is fantastic compared to the old days...probably the best time ever to be a Swans fan. However, sometimes, we do play utter shite. Don't forget now, we are in the big boys league and we have some very highly paid players. When they do not put the effort in, I think it is up to the fan if they want to voice that on this forum, whether they were there for the rainy midweek games down the Vetch or if they started watching the Swans in 2005.

True, but within reason. The sense of entitlement should be kept in check. Just go to a Barcelona board and you'll know what I mean. If Barcelona doesn't beat every opponent 5-0 or more the fans go into melt down. The critique should be tempered with some realism and gratitude imo.
Our fans... on 14:43 - Dec 13 with 2026 viewsDarran

Our fans... on 14:17 - Dec 13 by Spratty

Just started last week

You are becoming more f*cking stupid by the day.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Our fans... on 15:46 - Dec 13 with 1991 viewsSpratty

Our fans... on 14:43 - Dec 13 by Darran

You are becoming more f*cking stupid by the day.

IYHO

Think I was rather teasing you Darran because my point was none of it really mattered. Thant's what my whole post was about. So cut all this aggressive crap. Its my opinion and think a reasonably balanced one at that.

But fair enough if I am to be tested we have been at the lib since the start (remember the excitement of picking your seat) and way back into the Vetch and the previous glory days. No I wasn't on the streets collecting for the players wages with good reason (as if it matters) but all credit to those that were. Yes there were some very hard times. Personally I kinda miss the small grounds and slogging it out even when things went bad and worse, you felt more a part of it, the disappointment too (although I have always hated the racism that some of our fans enjoyed in those days and up to more recently). I will always remember the joy of being top of the 1st division which shows what a plastic I am.

So enlighten me with your promised explanation. Hopefully it is not a veiled attempt to keep the "plastics" in their place.
Our fans... on 15:58 - Dec 13 with 1969 viewsDavillin

There's at least one other "broad group" - fans who don't fit into any of the named broad groups.

[I did find this line interesting for several reasons: "I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, but just wanted to put my feelings out there."]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Our fans... on 16:11 - Dec 13 with 1933 viewsperchrockjack

Who decides who is what.
Seems a little weird to me and not a little arrogant.
Fan to be vetted then

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Our fans... on 16:22 - Dec 13 with 1945 viewsBonjour

I'm in category 1. I am also incredibly frustrated with the way we are playing at the moment.

Just because fans aren't necessarily happy with things doesn't make them any less of a fan. Just because we are doing better than arguably we ever have then that doesn't mean that you just sit back and accept what's served up.

You have to comment on the here and now and the most recent standards we have set.

For whatever reason we haven't performed at our peak this season yet. Hopefully we can start playing a more consistent team now that Europa is done for a couple of months and the team can kick on.
Our fans... on 16:38 - Dec 13 with 1931 viewsJackanapes

Id say we played at our peak at West Brom and in Valencia. And against Stoke in the second half and against Newcastle. And against Crystal Palace. And in the first half at City.
But apart from all those times we've been a bog standard Prem team. Which is unacceptable, obviously, for a club of our standing and heritage.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Login to get fewer ads

Our fans... on 16:38 - Dec 13 with 1930 viewsDanishDuck

I always followed Laudrup.. as many other danes.. from the early days on the national team and ofc. in his prime at Barca... I will follow and hope he have success no matter where he goes.
But isnt it normal when u get to follow a club u do it bc. of the people there or bc. of geographic reasons?
Some fans leave some stay, but if i had a club that was dear to me, i would sure love any kind of fan no matter what the reason was and make new fans feel welcome, then there would act. be a big chance they stick around.
Imo Swans is to much "real"/old fans vs. new/plastic... i dont really care bout this and can understand it in some regards.. But for me it prob. dont give me any reason to make Swansea "my club".
Our fans... on 16:41 - Dec 13 with 1925 viewsJackanapes

Oh I forgot about second half vs sunderland. It would be easier to say that if you ignore all the times we have played really well this season, weve been bloody awful at worst and plain avereage at best. Hrumpph.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Our fans... on 16:42 - Dec 13 with 1917 viewsmonmouth

Our fans... on 16:41 - Dec 13 by Jackanapes

Oh I forgot about second half vs sunderland. It would be easier to say that if you ignore all the times we have played really well this season, weve been bloody awful at worst and plain avereage at best. Hrumpph.

We also outplayed Soton down there and were very unlucky.

But apart from all that....

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Our fans... on 16:45 - Dec 13 with 1910 viewsSpratty

Phew - had me going a bit with the first post
Our fans... on 16:47 - Dec 13 with 1903 viewsJackanapes

Our fans... on 16:45 - Dec 13 by Spratty

Phew - had me going a bit with the first post

Well there are people who think that, that's what is scary.

Our fans... on 17:14 - Dec 13 with 1879 viewsJackSwanTV

Love to put this in the Jack Swan mag

Poll: Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it
Blog: Interview with Freestone, Alsop plus Phil Sumbler in the New Jack Swan. Issue #21.

Our fans... on 17:16 - Dec 13 with 1878 viewsBonjour

Opinions huh?

Without dissecting every game (which I could but don't have the time) it is surely clear to everyone that we haven't hit the same heights performance wise consistently this season.

Just one dissection if I may, is the Newcastle game - everyone is raving about it but my opinion is it papered over the cracks. Yes we played well but first half when they had their game plan of letting us have the ball we didn't look like scoring. Thankfully we scored a very un Swansea like goal.

2nd half they absolutely played into our hands, pressing, holding a high line which we exploited beautifully time and again. Massive faux pas from Pardew - if he had kept the same system in the 2nd half it might have been a different story.

Point is though that most of the teams that come here are going to play like Hull, West Ham etc and sit deep. It's the slow tedious approach to that opponent that is frustrating. If everyone came and played gung ho like Newcastle 2nd half we'd be flying because we have the ability to exploit that.

What is our home form stat at the moment? 2 from 12 or something? Fans are entitled to comment on that imo.
Our fans... on 17:20 - Dec 13 with 1830 viewsJackanapes

I never said any different, I am after all just a supporter making a comment.

Our fans... on 17:30 - Dec 13 with 1810 viewsSA1_Jack

Life story alert...... sorry!

Number 3 sums me up. Never been a glory hunter of any description and I’ve never supported anyone other than Swansea City, and never will. But I was an occasional supporter who has caught the bug now and no going back.

I started going to watch the Swans with my father in the late 80’s, only now and again though. Not even sure exactly how often but when he wasn’t playing football on a Saturday he would sometimes take me to the vetch.

When I was in my teens I then started going with some mates, early to mid 90’s. Often it was just a case of “where are we going today boys? Cinema, or the vetch?” Sometimes the cinema would win, sometimes the vetch. We used to go down by the away fans end of the North bank, it was by far the best place to go. The football itself was often pretty irrelevant to me in all honesty. I did enjoy it, but just used to love the singing and the atmosphere. Even when it was a crap game it didn’t matter at all. Like I said it was a day out with my mates more than anything. I had never heard of a season ticket and we either went to the vetch or we didn’t.

As I grew older in my early 20’s the appeal of the vetch faded away as other things came into my life that occupied me more. I still went down to the vetch very rarely but hardly ever. I kept my eye on the Swans and how they were doing, but as me and my mates had grown older, bought houses, most had families we hardly found ourselves going down there.
When the Liberty opened it did kick a new spark in to the Swans for me and I found myself down there again watching the Swans. I never bought a season ticket and by no means went to 75% of home games, and no away games at all, but I was still a Swansea city supporter.

Through the Championship years I went down when I could get there. When we got promoted to the premier league I went to the liberty in the first season about the same number of times as I did in each season before, but getting tickets became a problem be honest so with a bit of luck I managed to get a Season ticket for the second season, and of course renewed it for this season. I am in the East corner with the most atmosphere and I love it. It doesn’t matter to me if we are playing Hull or Man united, I enjoy the whole experience of going along. Away games are even better at times.

The way I watch Swansea has changed. There’s a massive buzz about Swansea these days and everyone has an opinion. Information about our team is everywhere and as I have caught the bug properly now I know I will not stop going to support the Swans. Now I do go to every home game and to as many away games as I can afford, or get to (no where near as many as I would like to). If we drop down I wont change my opinion and I will still have a season ticket and go to as many away games that I can manage.

So yes, I am a convert type. That’s it really. Caught the bug (again) and no way back now.
Our fans... on 17:41 - Dec 13 with 1792 viewsperchrockjack

I must be longterm soft.

55 years now but I keep nodding off watching us on telly right now.

No fan is bigger better or more right or wrong than anyone else..

Like I said, looks like we re gonna grade fans..
feck me

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Our fans... on 20:58 - Dec 13 with 1746 viewsDr_Winston

Been a regular for over 20 years. Barely missed a home game in the last fifteen. Sat through Cullis, Adams, Cork, Cusack and Christ knows what else. Saw us get stuffed 4-0 at home against Kidderminster.

To put it bluntly, I've done the hard yards. If I feel that something is worthy of criticism then I will do it, no matter how hard some people try to shout down any sign of dissent.

If that bothers them, I don't care.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Our fans... on 21:50 - Dec 13 with 1717 viewsKingBony

Our fans... on 17:20 - Dec 13 by Jackanapes

I never said any different, I am after all just a supporter making a comment.

You're a bit sarcastic.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Our fans... on 21:52 - Dec 13 with 1714 viewsKingBony

Our fans... on 20:58 - Dec 13 by Dr_Winston

Been a regular for over 20 years. Barely missed a home game in the last fifteen. Sat through Cullis, Adams, Cork, Cusack and Christ knows what else. Saw us get stuffed 4-0 at home against Kidderminster.

To put it bluntly, I've done the hard yards. If I feel that something is worthy of criticism then I will do it, no matter how hard some people try to shout down any sign of dissent.

If that bothers them, I don't care.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Ditto even if my easy going nature gets a bit blurred straight after a game.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Our fans... on 23:44 - Dec 13 with 1682 viewsepaul

Don't know where Im classed in this, so far this season baring Europe(cash flow/passport) been to every away game inc brum, yet not a home game as again can't afford it. if I could afford it I'd go to every game, as we move into 2014 after Norwich, WHU is my next game again the issue is cash, however any game I don't go to I "watch" be it in a pub or on the net. Yeah been " watching" us nearly 40 years I couldn't careless if it was mansfield or manure if I can afford it I go its not about the opposition it's about supporting my team

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Our fans... on 00:41 - Dec 14 with 1658 viewsTNT

Our fans... on 23:44 - Dec 13 by epaul

Don't know where Im classed in this, so far this season baring Europe(cash flow/passport) been to every away game inc brum, yet not a home game as again can't afford it. if I could afford it I'd go to every game, as we move into 2014 after Norwich, WHU is my next game again the issue is cash, however any game I don't go to I "watch" be it in a pub or on the net. Yeah been " watching" us nearly 40 years I couldn't careless if it was mansfield or manure if I can afford it I go its not about the opposition it's about supporting my team

pm'd you mate.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Our fans... on 01:13 - Dec 14 with 1648 viewssherman

Let us say you just compensated a lot of money for a huge family members picture or an unique item of art work. You do not want those kinds of things to combination into your walls. Those products should be a centerpiece in the space. Dimension alone does not always make something take a position out. Add a light from above or below through decorative monitor lighting and observe as every eye in the space is attracted over and over to that item.

Our fans... on 01:37 - Dec 14 with 1640 viewsdameedna

Our fans... on 11:58 - Dec 13 by Viking_Jack

5) Foreign plastic-supporters who have only seen the Hull game on video, who know nothing, who are nothing, but who will nevertheless support the team whatever happens and regardless of how "boring" they play and in which league they play (admittedly I don´t know how many fans are in this group, but at least I am haha...)

Brilliant mate, you're welcome
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024