Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky TV v Virgin v BT 09:02 - Feb 2 with 875 viewsJaySaint

Just wanted to get the thoughts of you all.

I currently have freeview TV via a YouView box, which I like as I can scroll back through the EPG for 7 days and if I see something I have missed, I can (for 99% of the time) select it there and then and it will play (via the required iPlayer app).

With that I have standard Sky broadband/phone. The BB is fine, I pay for the 'up to 67mb' and get at least 45mb ish further from the router(s) in the house but usually better.

House phone - meh.

The above is backed up with NetFlix and Amazon Prime Video

However, I have the urge to investigate upgrading my TV. But to which?
I see no point in including the sports channels as....err, I.. we are all resourceful, aren't we!

So, which company? Here are my thoughts......

BT - TV looks crap compared to price, unless I add BT Sports.

Sky - Simple upgrade to Sky Q (previous owners of the house had Sky Q). Lots of channels
but how does Sky Multi-room work? If I read the info online, the boxes connect via Wifi, so no need for additional cabling for the additional box?
What is the Sky Q EPG like? Can you scroll back 7 days?

Virgin - Looks a beast. I have a Virgin junction box on the outside of the house. Would get huge speeds (but really necessary as only two of us?). Their bundles off huge choice, could get all the sports thrown in etc.
But, how would a V6 box be connected? new cabling required? What about their EPG, can I scroll back 7 days?
Lastly, I read reams of massively disgruntled customers ranting at the state of Virgin's customer service.

thoughts?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 09:29 - Feb 2 with 839 viewsOccasional_Showers

I just have stand-alone net flix, plus nowtv for the phone and fibre. The latter costs £30/month for anytime/anywhere calls (for international calls I.e Australia it’s something negligible like 2p per minute). Pay TV just doesn’t bother me any more. I did have SKY at the maximum discounted price but even at this price it’s just not something I’m bothered about having.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 09:37 - Feb 2 with 816 viewsJaySaint

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 09:29 - Feb 2 by Occasional_Showers

I just have stand-alone net flix, plus nowtv for the phone and fibre. The latter costs £30/month for anytime/anywhere calls (for international calls I.e Australia it’s something negligible like 2p per minute). Pay TV just doesn’t bother me any more. I did have SKY at the maximum discounted price but even at this price it’s just not something I’m bothered about having.

That is probably what will happen with me.
Just dip into NOW TV I guess

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 09:41 - Feb 2 with 813 viewsOccasional_Showers

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 09:37 - Feb 2 by JaySaint

That is probably what will happen with me.
Just dip into NOW TV I guess

I only use Nowtv for line rental, calls and fibre. It’s a very good deal. The Netflix is about £10/month but I like that as I use it on my phone/tablet when away from home.

https://www.nowtv.com/broadband/affiliates/super-fibre?DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_General

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 10:16 - Feb 2 with 777 viewsBLEEDRED

If you want everything then the Virgin Ultimate Bundle at £99 a mth is not bad-2 TIVO boxs, 500gb broadband, SKY & BT sports (HD + BT in UHD) Sky Movies (HD), 100's of TV chanels, Virgin Mobile + Home Phone line (all unlimited calls). The customer service is a little poor, but if you now the way round it you can get a UK call center and they are fine.
Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 11:42 - Feb 2 with 733 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Virgin have gone backwards, but I still stick with them for the broadband. I generally stream EVERYTHING I watch, apart from news and live sport. So the broadband is important. I have just downgraded to save costs from 200 meg to 100 meg and haven't noticed any drop in streaming multiple things at the same time.

The V6 box is okay, there are a lot of poorly designed features and annoying things about it so I tend not to bother using it and just use the apps on my TV etc.

But they're all much of a muchness, all hideously overpriced and a waste of money. I've just downgraded with a deal to £60 a month. I still feel like I'm being ripped off.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 12:12 - Feb 2 with 718 viewsJaySaint

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 11:42 - Feb 2 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Virgin have gone backwards, but I still stick with them for the broadband. I generally stream EVERYTHING I watch, apart from news and live sport. So the broadband is important. I have just downgraded to save costs from 200 meg to 100 meg and haven't noticed any drop in streaming multiple things at the same time.

The V6 box is okay, there are a lot of poorly designed features and annoying things about it so I tend not to bother using it and just use the apps on my TV etc.

But they're all much of a muchness, all hideously overpriced and a waste of money. I've just downgraded with a deal to £60 a month. I still feel like I'm being ripped off.

yeah, that is the thing with the cost.

As said, I get Sky Fibre which serves its purpose and that comes in (inc basic home phone package) at £25 a month (with discount).

I pay yearly for Amazon prime and what ever it costs per month for Netflix (not the 4k option)

Lets say Sky offered me a good deal. That would be at least another £25 per month for a bunch of channels that in all honesty, I probably would not watch.

I think I am already talking myself out of it

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 16:29 - Feb 2 with 635 viewsBlue

Smart tv - Virgin broadband - IPTV

Got Netflix and Amazon Prime buttons on the remote for my LG tv.

Don't give Sky or BT any money if you can help it.

Still stood in the Kippax

Sky TV v Virgin v BT on 17:05 - Feb 2 with 612 viewssfc1971

As another post said Virgin are doing some good deals, I've been with them for years and always get a better bundle for less money each time the contract is due to expire simply by telling them I`m off elsewhere

The cust-service dept is really bad (someone abroad reading from a textbook) if you don`t know how to work the system. basically always press the option for leaving us, stand your ground and hang up, they will be in touch via the call center based in the northeast of England. I told them the last time I need to think about it can you call back later. I ended up with a V6 box for free usually £99 plus £35 activation, the Maxim TV that includes BT sports, landline, and my B/band speed doubled from 100 to 200mbps with no activation fee (usually £25) all for £49 PM on a 12mth contract. my argument with them was why should I have to pay activation fees for a line already active? and other providers are offering free install when yours is a basic self-install. All I paid was the £5 delivery for the V6 box.
The only prob is you will need a VPN if you stream or download sports/ music from certain sites as Virgin block most of them but you can find proxy sites with a little homework.

Poll: Have we reached our peak as a 6th - 10th placed club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024