Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game 16:21 - Feb 1 with 1716 viewsdirk_doone

Mike Dean is the ref with Lee Mason on VAR. I assume they'll have the same linesmen with them too. That's any chance we had gone then. Somebody up there doesn't like us.

One of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in my life was Mike Dean at a Man. United v Saints game. He might as well have been wearing a red shirt with No.12 on the back.

That has got to be totally demoralising for Ralph and the players before they even kick off. My prediction is they'll top he yellow card they gave Ward-Prowse with a red one.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 16:29]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:31 - Feb 1 with 1672 viewsDorsetIan

Hopefully they'll be feeling a bit of pressure. Decisions on Saturday universally criticised.

We're capable of a getting a draw. Would be nice to get the scoreboard ticking over again and to get to 30 points.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:36 - Feb 1 with 1655 viewssaint22

NFW
How can they do that after the shambles of Saturday, surely thats not allowed, do they not answer to anyone!?
At OT as well!! FFs, how many pens will they get?
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:38 - Feb 1 with 1649 viewsdirk_doone

You do realize how arrogant Mike Dean is? He is right and everybody else is wrong. He'll be looking to dish out more of the same. He's the worst referee we could possibly get against United because he always favours them. He'll do anything he can to ensure they win including wrongly dishing out red cards and penalties. He even got demoted to the Championship for doing so.

"Ex-players such as Niall Quinn and Alan Smith described Dean as ‘arrogant’ and ‘attention-seeking’, while ex-Ireland international, Stephen Hunt, claimed Dean was ‘the most arrogant person — player or official- that I ever shared a field with’.

Arsenal fans launched a petition to prevent Dean from refereeing another Gunners’ match. Although naturally doomed to failure, the petition raised over 100,000 signatures within a week.

Two years later Dean again had the humiliation of a decision of his being overturned retroactively by the FA. After just fifteen minutes of an Old Trafford clash between Manchester United and West Ham, the home side’s Phil Jones had a coming together with the Hammers’ Sofiane Feghouli.

To most neutral observers, Jones was the more likely of the two to have committed a foul, yet to the amazement of most, it was Feghouli who was shown the red card. That United went on to win the game 2-0 did not help matters, and not only was the red card overturned, but Dean was also demoted to a spell refereeing in the Championship."

Dean has awarded Man United EIGHTEEN penalties already. I'm pretty sure that must be the most penalties any referee has awarded to any team in the history of football and he'll certainly be looking to add to that total tomorrow night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4082462/West-Ham-manager-Slav
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 17:18]

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:48 - Feb 1 with 1606 viewskingslandstand1

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:31 - Feb 1 by DorsetIan

Hopefully they'll be feeling a bit of pressure. Decisions on Saturday universally criticised.

We're capable of a getting a draw. Would be nice to get the scoreboard ticking over again and to get to 30 points.

"Hopefully they'll be feeling a bit of pressure"

Absolute bolox will they. They will both love the limelight, making controversial decisions telling everyone that they are in charge! And then carry on as if nothing happened and don't forget, everyone watches the game to see the referee and not a decent game of football which that one has the potential of being.
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:49 - Feb 1 with 1603 viewsDorsetIan

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:38 - Feb 1 by dirk_doone

You do realize how arrogant Mike Dean is? He is right and everybody else is wrong. He'll be looking to dish out more of the same. He's the worst referee we could possibly get against United because he always favours them. He'll do anything he can to ensure they win including wrongly dishing out red cards and penalties. He even got demoted to the Championship for doing so.

"Ex-players such as Niall Quinn and Alan Smith described Dean as ‘arrogant’ and ‘attention-seeking’, while ex-Ireland international, Stephen Hunt, claimed Dean was ‘the most arrogant person — player or official- that I ever shared a field with’.

Arsenal fans launched a petition to prevent Dean from refereeing another Gunners’ match. Although naturally doomed to failure, the petition raised over 100,000 signatures within a week.

Two years later Dean again had the humiliation of a decision of his being overturned retroactively by the FA. After just fifteen minutes of an Old Trafford clash between Manchester United and West Ham, the home side’s Phil Jones had a coming together with the Hammers’ Sofiane Feghouli.

To most neutral observers, Jones was the more likely of the two to have committed a foul, yet to the amazement of most, it was Feghouli who was shown the red card. That United went on to win the game 2-0 did not help matters, and not only was the red card overturned, but Dean was also demoted to a spell refereeing in the Championship."

Dean has awarded Man United EIGHTEEN penalties already. I'm pretty sure that must be the most penalties any referee has awarded to any team in the history of football and he'll certainly be looking to add to that total tomorrow night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4082462/West-Ham-manager-Slav

I wasn't aware of all that tbh. Going to be watching him closely now.

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:49 - Feb 1 with 1602 viewskingslandstand1

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:38 - Feb 1 by dirk_doone

A bit more detail that my post below Dirk, but couldn't agree more
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:54 - Feb 1 with 1585 viewsDorsetIan

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:49 - Feb 1 by kingslandstand1

A bit more detail that my post below Dirk, but couldn't agree more

And I stand corrected!

Sounds like we're f*cked.

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:56 - Feb 1 with 1577 viewskingslandstand1

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:54 - Feb 1 by DorsetIan

And I stand corrected!

Sounds like we're f*cked.

There or thereabouts
Login to get fewer ads

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 17:02 - Feb 1 with 1557 viewssaint22

One of my lads was mascot for a game a couple of seasons ago and Dean was the ref
Pre match the guide took all the mascots to the refs room before the dressing rooms, they all said hi and enjoy yourselves etc, except one........
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 17:07 - Feb 1 with 1554 viewsdirk_doone

Everybody in football knows Mike Dean has it in for Southampton.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/10/28/garth-crooks-says-referee-mike-dean-instig

Remember this one?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14993139.southampton-will-not-appeal-nathan-re

[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 17:48]

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 18:43 - Feb 1 with 1413 viewsBerber

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 16:31 - Feb 1 by DorsetIan

No chance, Dean gets more bloody minded the more stick he gets.
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 10:31 - Feb 2 with 1216 viewsPaleRider

I am shocked that Saturday’s comedy double act are back in charge of tonight’s game. Even putting aside, the issues from Saturday, surely this should not happen anyway?

For the record, refereeing must be incredibly hard, given the pace of the game and the widespread cheating that seems to be tacitly accepted by football management and pundits alike. However, we are not talking about someone refereeing in the park on a Saturday afternoon but paid, full time professionals.

Regarding Saturday, there was clearly something wrong. If the chances of getting a major decision against one team wrong in a game are, say, 1 in 20 (or 5%), the likelihood of getting 3 such decisions wrong is 1 in 8,000 (or 0.0125%) — in other words highly unlikely.

So, the question is why? Well, there are several options:
1) Sheer bad luck. This would make sense but for the principal actors involved and the track record of their performances when Saints are involved;
2) Incompetence. The standard of refereeing in the premier League is clearly not good — even with the help of VAR. VAR is not the issue — it worked well at the 2018 World Cup and video assistance works very well in many other sports. I have no idea of how well it works in other major leagues but there does seem to be an issue with it in the Premier League. It appears that the football authorities are content with the level of incompetence on the grounds that it “evens itself out in the end”. I believe that this is not true an it is worrisome that nothing is being done to address this;
3) Bias. It is possible that the officials in question are biased for or against certain teams or plays — either consciously or unconsciously. This could stem from a desire to even out past mistakes, a childhood support or dislike for a certain team, inconvenience of having to travel far from home etc. Statistically it is possible to prove that bias exists and I find it interesting that no analysis seems to have been done (or at any rate published);
4) Corruption. Although unpalatable to consider, there is always the chance that referees make certain decisions at the behest of third parties — either football authorities who want a given outcome or betting syndicates.

I don’t know what the reasons for Saturday’s issues are but, whatever the reasons, I have reached the really sad conclusion that I have no confidence that tonight’s match will be refereed fairly. I also have little confidence that the football authorities in England have any desire to improve this situation, which I am sure does not just apply to Saints.

Anyway, COYS and keep the faith!
Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 22:04 - Feb 2 with 1057 viewsdirk_doone

We all knew what was coming but how on earth is Mike Dean allowed to get away with it??? Even the TV pundits are shocked by it but he's still allowed to continue doing it year after year.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 22:08]

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 14:29 - Feb 3 with 892 viewsIanSouthstander

Mike Dean & Lee Mason our refs for the United game on 10:31 - Feb 2 by PaleRider

I am shocked that Saturday’s comedy double act are back in charge of tonight’s game. Even putting aside, the issues from Saturday, surely this should not happen anyway?

For the record, refereeing must be incredibly hard, given the pace of the game and the widespread cheating that seems to be tacitly accepted by football management and pundits alike. However, we are not talking about someone refereeing in the park on a Saturday afternoon but paid, full time professionals.

Regarding Saturday, there was clearly something wrong. If the chances of getting a major decision against one team wrong in a game are, say, 1 in 20 (or 5%), the likelihood of getting 3 such decisions wrong is 1 in 8,000 (or 0.0125%) — in other words highly unlikely.

So, the question is why? Well, there are several options:
1) Sheer bad luck. This would make sense but for the principal actors involved and the track record of their performances when Saints are involved;
2) Incompetence. The standard of refereeing in the premier League is clearly not good — even with the help of VAR. VAR is not the issue — it worked well at the 2018 World Cup and video assistance works very well in many other sports. I have no idea of how well it works in other major leagues but there does seem to be an issue with it in the Premier League. It appears that the football authorities are content with the level of incompetence on the grounds that it “evens itself out in the end”. I believe that this is not true an it is worrisome that nothing is being done to address this;
3) Bias. It is possible that the officials in question are biased for or against certain teams or plays — either consciously or unconsciously. This could stem from a desire to even out past mistakes, a childhood support or dislike for a certain team, inconvenience of having to travel far from home etc. Statistically it is possible to prove that bias exists and I find it interesting that no analysis seems to have been done (or at any rate published);
4) Corruption. Although unpalatable to consider, there is always the chance that referees make certain decisions at the behest of third parties — either football authorities who want a given outcome or betting syndicates.

I don’t know what the reasons for Saturday’s issues are but, whatever the reasons, I have reached the really sad conclusion that I have no confidence that tonight’s match will be refereed fairly. I also have little confidence that the football authorities in England have any desire to improve this situation, which I am sure does not just apply to Saints.

Anyway, COYS and keep the faith!

How prophetic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024