Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton 11:40 - Aug 16 with 553 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55490/im-sorry-ralph-!-b

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 12:00 - Aug 16 with 527 viewsVeloSaint

At half time and even midway through the second half you could say he'd got it right. But he took risks with the starting XI that he surely knew he'd have to address during the game e.g. JWP and Romeu not fully fit, Tino making his first start, Walcott never likely to finish 90 mins. He didn't until it was too late and the game had gone.

The keeper situation is obviously a mess, even Ralph queried McCarthy re the second goal in a post match interview which although he admitted he hadn't seen a replay of it, if he's openly questioning his keeper to a journalist then you have to wonder....
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 12:22 - Aug 16 with 505 viewsSadoldgit

I agree that most if not all of us would not have started with that side, but having said that we looked the better side in the first half. Easy to be a genius with hindsight but the substitutions should have come earlier. To be fair to Ralph he was going to make them earlier but we had a good spell of play and looked to be getting on the front foot again. If he had been a bit braver, who knows. Such small margins. Everton weren’t much better than us on the day but a loss is a loss and we still give away goals through lack of concentration. Salisu and McCarthy for the first and Stephens for the third. The second was one of those that came out of nowhere and you can’t legislate for. Disappointing overall but with Armstrong, KWP and Bednarek back and if we play Livramento with KWP we will turn over plenty of teams. Once we get this tough start out of the way I think we will be ok.
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 12:43 - Aug 16 with 466 viewsVeloSaint

I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 12:22 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

I agree that most if not all of us would not have started with that side, but having said that we looked the better side in the first half. Easy to be a genius with hindsight but the substitutions should have come earlier. To be fair to Ralph he was going to make them earlier but we had a good spell of play and looked to be getting on the front foot again. If he had been a bit braver, who knows. Such small margins. Everton weren’t much better than us on the day but a loss is a loss and we still give away goals through lack of concentration. Salisu and McCarthy for the first and Stephens for the third. The second was one of those that came out of nowhere and you can’t legislate for. Disappointing overall but with Armstrong, KWP and Bednarek back and if we play Livramento with KWP we will turn over plenty of teams. Once we get this tough start out of the way I think we will be ok.

pretty much reflected my view immediately after the game, but Ralph's comments post match re fitness of certain players and being about to make a change then changing his mind etc. Feels to me like he had a plan, he stuck to it to a point and then abandoned it.

The players weren't going to get fresher, it's his job to make a decision before the fatigue sets in too far. We'll never know if making changes earlier may have gained us a point or 3, the lad may still have stuck it in the top corner regardless, but I'd have had no complaints post match if subs had been made 10-15 mins earlier, e.g. Diallo and Armstrong on would have been a good move, fresh legs and experience.

It's a tough start, we need to compete in these games, get through it with some momentum and belief.
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 13:08 - Aug 16 with 447 viewsSadoldgit

Yes. Ralph is often reactive rather than proactive. But if he had made the subs earlier and we had still lost he would still be at fault. Who would be a manager?
I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 13:56 - Aug 16 with 406 viewsDorsetIan

I too like Ralph, but I think we've seen enough...

strange starting line ups
self-defeating substitutions
subs made too late, and
savvy managers changing formations to outfox him

...to reasonably conclude that tactics are not Ralph's strong point.

Can anyone name a time when the changes or subs he made during a game, turned the game around in our favourites, because I'm struggling? (And I appreciate that his options off the bench have been limited for a long time, but even so.)

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 14:04 - Aug 16 with 388 viewsButty101

I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 13:08 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

Yes. Ralph is often reactive rather than proactive. But if he had made the subs earlier and we had still lost he would still be at fault. Who would be a manager?

for 6million a year, a lot of people would

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

I'm Sorry Ralph ! But You Got The Selection Wrong At Everton on 15:05 - Aug 16 with 336 viewsSonicBoom

I think that if you let in a goal immediately after half time then any plans you were making are pretty much out the window. The entire momentum of the game changes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024