Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict 21:40 - Nov 21 with 761 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/56320/southampton-at-nor

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 21:54 - Nov 21 with 740 viewsButty101

The keeper should have done better, but it’s a typical performance under Ralph. Good in the first half then fade badly. Coupled with bizarre substitutions. Why put Armstrong on the wing and Walcott up front?.

Ralph was getting a panning on Solent after the game

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 09:40 - Nov 22 with 573 viewsSadoldgit

Fortunately due to family commitments I only saw the last 15 minutes of the first half in which we were dominant. Sounds like I did well to miss the second half. From MOTD, although I agree that McCarthy got it wrong for both goals, especially the second where he seemed to misjudged the angle of the bounce, Salisu didn’t put enough pressure on Pukki and gave him a free header for the first.
From what I read Walcott missed a sitter at the end but having watched it he did everything right and glanced it down to the corner. Perhaps an an experienced pro he should have hit the target, but as we keep saying, it is all about fine margins. Another day, that goes in and we come away with a point.
Ralph looked really fed up at the end. He gets a lot of stick for the second half performances but if a team is very poor in the first half there is a good chance that they can sort things out at half time and put in a better performance in the second half. If you play really well in the first half how can you improve on that in the second? He made the substitutions at the right time. We give away a poor goal from a set piece and lose the game.
I see a lot of criticism about Walcott but did Broja contribute anything when he came on?
I don’t think McCarthy has been too bad this season but it is disappointing to see him getting beaten at his near post again, twice. As has been said, we have two goalkeepers who are fine as back ups. Hopefully the rumours about signing a new no 1 keeper in January are true.
Watch McCarthy play a blinder against Liverpool now!
Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 10:38 - Nov 22 with 549 viewsSonicBoom

Firstly I like Ralph and don't want him gone but dear me he does test my affection.

Nick you say Walcott is becoming the whipping boy of some sections of the fan base. That's true but only because they disagree with your which is McCarthy.
He wasn't great that's true but Salisu who everyone seems to think is the next VVD, was slow to react and let Pukki get across him. If Stephens had done that would you be blaming the keeper ?

Ralph picks the team. He chooses the keeper and he brings on Walcott at centre forward. The defining characteristic of Walcotts career has been his lack of clinical finishing hence he's never been played at centre forward. Yet Ralph thought that was a better option than leaving Adams on.
This is also a familiar tale. We have dominated quite a few games only to get to half time and the opposition make changes and we seem unable to respond.
Sure Norwich were going to improve but let's not sugar coat it, they were on course to be the worst PL team in history and pretty much everyone else has gone there and got 3 points so we lost ground on Saturday.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe a lack of movement from our front two? We seem to have lots of possession outside the box but struggle to create really clear cut chances. Or maybe it's our final ball - but whatever it is you have to score when you dominate even against the crappy teams.

I can be quite negative so I'll leave the comments to Adam Blackmore from Solent who is generally very positive...

"Jeez, how did #SaintsFc contrive to throw that away ?!!?
I’ll tell you how - didn’t bury Norwich when utterly dominant in the 1st half..
..didn’t react to Norwich HT tactical changes (we all knew)
And Ralph didn’t make the right changes - hurt the team, didn’t help them.

To be fair to Ralph he can take equal credit for first half as he can criticism for second half - plus McCarthy questionable for both goals, Salisu for first.
But, why break up Adams/Armstrong so early, why play Walcott up front & Armstrong left & why take Romeu off at all ? Odd"
Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 12:23 - Nov 22 with 512 viewssaintwizzler

Diallo at Right Midfield when Tella, Walcott and even Valery are sat on the bench.

Three of the starting 11 playing out of position.
KWP, Diallo and Elyounoussi.

I just don’t get the manager’s thinking at times.

Walcott on up front then moves Armstrong to LM.

??

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 12:50 - Nov 23 with 334 viewsSaintNick

Southampton At Norwich City The Verdict on 10:38 - Nov 22 by SonicBoom

Firstly I like Ralph and don't want him gone but dear me he does test my affection.

Nick you say Walcott is becoming the whipping boy of some sections of the fan base. That's true but only because they disagree with your which is McCarthy.
He wasn't great that's true but Salisu who everyone seems to think is the next VVD, was slow to react and let Pukki get across him. If Stephens had done that would you be blaming the keeper ?

Ralph picks the team. He chooses the keeper and he brings on Walcott at centre forward. The defining characteristic of Walcotts career has been his lack of clinical finishing hence he's never been played at centre forward. Yet Ralph thought that was a better option than leaving Adams on.
This is also a familiar tale. We have dominated quite a few games only to get to half time and the opposition make changes and we seem unable to respond.
Sure Norwich were going to improve but let's not sugar coat it, they were on course to be the worst PL team in history and pretty much everyone else has gone there and got 3 points so we lost ground on Saturday.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe a lack of movement from our front two? We seem to have lots of possession outside the box but struggle to create really clear cut chances. Or maybe it's our final ball - but whatever it is you have to score when you dominate even against the crappy teams.

I can be quite negative so I'll leave the comments to Adam Blackmore from Solent who is generally very positive...

"Jeez, how did #SaintsFc contrive to throw that away ?!!?
I’ll tell you how - didn’t bury Norwich when utterly dominant in the 1st half..
..didn’t react to Norwich HT tactical changes (we all knew)
And Ralph didn’t make the right changes - hurt the team, didn’t help them.

To be fair to Ralph he can take equal credit for first half as he can criticism for second half - plus McCarthy questionable for both goals, Salisu for first.
But, why break up Adams/Armstrong so early, why play Walcott up front & Armstrong left & why take Romeu off at all ? Odd"

Perhaps Salisu gave Pukki too much room, but the fact still remains that they were both attempts that you would expect a Premier League goalkeeper to save.

I agree Ralph made the wrong changes, but we still should have won the game comfortably, you cannot gift two goals like that

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024