Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict 09:50 - Mar 21 with 764 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/57366/southampton-v-manc

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict on 10:09 - Mar 21 with 729 viewsSonicBoom

I take on board what you say about it being City with greater resources and of course you are right Nick. We should lose to them and we did.
What irks me is that when we play in the FA Cup Ralph will not pick our strongest team.
And he did it again on Sunday.
I suppose it is some sort of plan to try and be in the game then bring your best strikers on with 20 to go. But to me that just seems stupid. When you are playing the best, you need your best players out there. Armstrong had a great chance that he scuffed and hit the post - who knows Broja may well have buried that. Long is way past it, nice guy blah blah blah but is not up to standard. His quality on the ball is non existent yet he starts against City! I bet they were terrified.
It all smacks of being too clever again as he did playing one up front at home against Watford. Often Ralph's tactics seem scattergun at best - it's almost like he deliberately tries something bonkers and if by some miracle it works everyone says he's a genius.

City were too good and beat us fair enough. I just feel like we didn't give ourselves the best chance of winning. It was a bit like putting your best penalty taker last in a shoot out. Great if it works but bloody stupid if the game is over by the time it gets to him.
Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict on 11:02 - Mar 21 with 671 viewsSaintsforeverj

Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict on 10:09 - Mar 21 by SonicBoom

I take on board what you say about it being City with greater resources and of course you are right Nick. We should lose to them and we did.
What irks me is that when we play in the FA Cup Ralph will not pick our strongest team.
And he did it again on Sunday.
I suppose it is some sort of plan to try and be in the game then bring your best strikers on with 20 to go. But to me that just seems stupid. When you are playing the best, you need your best players out there. Armstrong had a great chance that he scuffed and hit the post - who knows Broja may well have buried that. Long is way past it, nice guy blah blah blah but is not up to standard. His quality on the ball is non existent yet he starts against City! I bet they were terrified.
It all smacks of being too clever again as he did playing one up front at home against Watford. Often Ralph's tactics seem scattergun at best - it's almost like he deliberately tries something bonkers and if by some miracle it works everyone says he's a genius.

City were too good and beat us fair enough. I just feel like we didn't give ourselves the best chance of winning. It was a bit like putting your best penalty taker last in a shoot out. Great if it works but bloody stupid if the game is over by the time it gets to him.

Whilst I take your point about playing your best team, as it happened it was the defenders who lost us the game. Stephens mistake gave them their first and Salisu did his usual clumsy giving away of a penalty for their 2nd. At 1 each, we looked the more likely to score and were playing well. Adams came on and missed a good chance and Broja came on and did nothing. Who knows, it may have turned out differently, had they played from the start, but I very much doubt it. In a knockout competition, a team like City make sure they they get through with their class. Same for Liverpool. They get through because they are too good for anyone and are unlikely to have an off day when the prize is the semi finals. Yes, you can nick a point in the league, but they were never gonna be knocked out with the semis up for grabs. They are just too good. I totally agree with Nick's report. As he said, they were literally dancing around us with the ball, as we kicked fresh air.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict on 16:46 - Mar 21 with 531 viewsRon11

Southampton V Manchester City The FA Cup Verdict on 11:02 - Mar 21 by Saintsforeverj

Whilst I take your point about playing your best team, as it happened it was the defenders who lost us the game. Stephens mistake gave them their first and Salisu did his usual clumsy giving away of a penalty for their 2nd. At 1 each, we looked the more likely to score and were playing well. Adams came on and missed a good chance and Broja came on and did nothing. Who knows, it may have turned out differently, had they played from the start, but I very much doubt it. In a knockout competition, a team like City make sure they they get through with their class. Same for Liverpool. They get through because they are too good for anyone and are unlikely to have an off day when the prize is the semi finals. Yes, you can nick a point in the league, but they were never gonna be knocked out with the semis up for grabs. They are just too good. I totally agree with Nick's report. As he said, they were literally dancing around us with the ball, as we kicked fresh air.

Dancing around us with the ball they might have been, but it still took a schoolboy error from Stephens for their first goal, nothing any more creative than that.
I thought Saints were well in the game in the first half, created chances that were squandered.They're still well known for falling apart in the second half, all the more reason to have started Broja and Adams, get a couple of chances put away and then shut up shop second half with just one up front.
It's been said elsewhere, but who else would start an FA cup tie with Man.City with a 37 year old and a well off form striker up front? Guardiola must have been smirking into his coffee when he saw those two up front.
3-1 down and he brings on Djenepo....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024