Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option 14:00 - Nov 2 with 835 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61189/russell-martin-see

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 14:24 - Nov 2 with 801 viewssaint901

I will preface this with a disclosure.

I do not think Mara is a good enough player at Championship level.

That said, I find the commentary as reported from RM rather disturbing. Either RM is trying to boost Mara's confidence and keep him motivated or he's thinking of another player.

RM is many things but he's been around football and footballers for a long while and can surely see quality - on the pitch at 3pm on Saturday - or can decide that somebody does not have that required level and probably never will.

In my opinion, Mara should not get first team minutes until he improves. He can improve by playing more regularly and that means going to a lower division club on loan. Play him there and see how he goes and reassess at the start of next season.

I'm guessing that many Insiders and fans do not see the quality of Mara and will be wondering why RM has made the reported comments.
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 14:43 - Nov 2 with 781 viewsSaintNick

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 14:24 - Nov 2 by saint901

I will preface this with a disclosure.

I do not think Mara is a good enough player at Championship level.

That said, I find the commentary as reported from RM rather disturbing. Either RM is trying to boost Mara's confidence and keep him motivated or he's thinking of another player.

RM is many things but he's been around football and footballers for a long while and can surely see quality - on the pitch at 3pm on Saturday - or can decide that somebody does not have that required level and probably never will.

In my opinion, Mara should not get first team minutes until he improves. He can improve by playing more regularly and that means going to a lower division club on loan. Play him there and see how he goes and reassess at the start of next season.

I'm guessing that many Insiders and fans do not see the quality of Mara and will be wondering why RM has made the reported comments.

Of course Russell Martin is trying to boost Mara's confidence, what could he gain by trying to do otherwise, Martin explained exactly why he was saying what he was saying, he said Mara is good in training but hasn't yet proved it on the pitch, why would you find that disturbing ?

Every player is different, some are instant hits, some take more time, for many Dominic Ballard is flavour of the month courtesy of a goal against 3rd division Cambridge.

Now I don't like to run down Ballard or any young player as they are learning their trade, Ballard didn't have a lot of gametime other than a couple of Premier League sub appearances plus the dying minutes of the game against Grimsby, but he showed nothing in those games.

Mara though scored in the Premier League and also had an assist, he also has scored goals in the French top flight, he has a track record.

You say that Mara should not get first team minutes till he improves, that is what Martin says after dropping him, but sending players out on loan is not the only option to get him into form, doing what he is doing now, ie minutes off the bench at the end of a game also helps you find form.

Scoring goals is not always representative of a players contribution, Mara made a contribution at Hull and we scored a late winner, look at the times Mara has come on and helped us dominate the final stages of a game and take points, Plymouth, Stoke, Hull & Preston, surely if he is that much of a passenger and given all the posts i see about Manning being a passenger, how do we win so many games late on when we are effectively down to 9 men ?

Discuss

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 14:44 - Nov 2 with 780 viewsfelly1

11 million quid, 30 league apps and 1 goal.
We are a Championship club and we can't afford expensive non performing passengers.
He needs loaning out pronto.
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:32 - Nov 2 with 742 viewsSaintNick

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 14:44 - Nov 2 by felly1

11 million quid, 30 league apps and 1 goal.
We are a Championship club and we can't afford expensive non performing passengers.
He needs loaning out pronto.

So firstly we cant loan him out till January so two months yet, secondly if we do loan him out who do we replace him with.

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:35 - Nov 2 with 741 viewssaint901

I'm sorry Mr Nick, but your assessment is an unrealistically positive take on somebody who has not performed for us .

A couple of goals and assists over a season and a half from a centre forward is unacceptable.

And I don't buy the defence of RM either. What is he doing here? Boosting the confidence of a player by telling the press that he's good in training but not on the pitch but dropping him not just from the team but the squad on match day?

RM needs to be decisive and make a decision - is he good enough - right now - (no) and if not, can he be good enough to play this season in a competitive game?

I admire your defence of player and manager but it does nto hold up for me.
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:47 - Nov 2 with 735 viewsSaintNick

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:35 - Nov 2 by saint901

I'm sorry Mr Nick, but your assessment is an unrealistically positive take on somebody who has not performed for us .

A couple of goals and assists over a season and a half from a centre forward is unacceptable.

And I don't buy the defence of RM either. What is he doing here? Boosting the confidence of a player by telling the press that he's good in training but not on the pitch but dropping him not just from the team but the squad on match day?

RM needs to be decisive and make a decision - is he good enough - right now - (no) and if not, can he be good enough to play this season in a competitive game?

I admire your defence of player and manager but it does nto hold up for me.

Last season it could be said that Sekou Mara contributed more than Adam Armstrong,

Mara 541 Premier League minutes, 1 goal and 2 assists ( 1 goal every 541 mins)

Adam Armstrong 1,333 Premier League minutes 2 goals and 1 assist (1 goal every 667 mins)

Che Adams was a little bit better

Che Adams 1,997 Premier League minutes 5 goals and 3 assists ( 1 goal every 400 mins)

But this season Armstrong has out performed both of them, you can't throw last seasons stats into the equation and use them as a stick to beat a player with,

Russell Martin has made a decision, he is not good enough to start games, but he is good enough to come on and help close games out , which he has done well as the results show.

Why the big deal about how good he is or isnt, we are in good form and taking points, why slag off any member of the squad whilst we are in an unbeaten run

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 18:10 - Nov 2 with 663 viewsfelly1

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:32 - Nov 2 by SaintNick

So firstly we cant loan him out till January so two months yet, secondly if we do loan him out who do we replace him with.

Love him to come good, and he's occasionally shown some talent, he just doesn't look totally committed to me and it's this casual approach that has not enamoured him to the majority of the fan base.
As for replacing him I'd say we have Stewart (soon)
Armstrong A, and Alceraz who can play CF.
I'd rather have tall Paul back tbh.
Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 20:59 - Nov 2 with 585 viewscocklebreath

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 15:32 - Nov 2 by SaintNick

Bsllard

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin Sees Sekou Mara As A Long Term Option on 22:48 - Nov 2 with 535 viewssaintwizzler

Oh non believers worship at the altar of Nathan Jones and his apostles Sekou Mara & Djenepo.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024