Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nobby Stiles RIP 17:45 - Oct 30 with 529 viewsSadoldgit

A true legend. No one who saw it will ever forget that little jig on the Wembley turf holding aloft the Jules Rimet trophy. RIP Nobby!
Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:01 - Oct 30 with 513 viewsBison

Someone texted me he was only one of 2 Englishman to be current World Cup and European cup winners , I presume the other one was Bobby ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:11 - Oct 30 with 498 viewsSadoldgit

Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:01 - Oct 30 by Bison

Someone texted me he was only one of 2 Englishman to be current World Cup and European cup winners , I presume the other one was Bobby ?

Yes
Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:30 - Oct 30 with 485 viewsChesham_Saint

Can’t stand man u, but this guy was indeed the stuff of footballing legend. RIP indeed.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:37 - Oct 30 with 486 viewsSadoldgit

Just listening to TalkSport in the car on the way home and many callers were phoning in and saying what a decent and down to earth guy he was. He wasn’t a bad footballer either. He didn’t let Eusebio have a kick in the WC semi final.
Nobby Stiles RIP on 07:59 - Oct 31 with 393 viewskernow

Nobby Stiles RIP on 18:37 - Oct 30 by Sadoldgit

Just listening to TalkSport in the car on the way home and many callers were phoning in and saying what a decent and down to earth guy he was. He wasn’t a bad footballer either. He didn’t let Eusebio have a kick in the WC semi final.

He gave him a couple of kicks as I recall.
He was what you might call a spoiler. Broke up play, hard as nails. Every team needs one.

Another of England 1966 gone from us. There can,t be many left now.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 8:00]
Nobby Stiles RIP on 10:08 - Oct 31 with 357 viewsSadoldgit

Nobby Stiles RIP on 07:59 - Oct 31 by kernow

He gave him a couple of kicks as I recall.
He was what you might call a spoiler. Broke up play, hard as nails. Every team needs one.

Another of England 1966 gone from us. There can,t be many left now.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 8:00]

Every team had a few players who dished it out in those days. We had several! Hollywood and Docker Walker spring to mind. “Chopper” Harris at Chelsea. Bremner and at least half of the Leeds team. There was very little rolling around on the floor then though (possibly because most pitches were like the Somme come mid winter!). They just got back up and took the opportunity to get one back on the perpetrator when the chance came. They could play though. A lot of people have been saying that although Nobby was known for putting his foot in, he was a brilliant reader of the game and could pass a ball. Scored a few too. If we won the WC now all of the squad would get a knighthood. It is shameful that so few of that iconic team ever received one.
Nobby Stiles RIP on 10:32 - Oct 31 with 351 viewsRon11

Nobby Stiles RIP on 10:08 - Oct 31 by Sadoldgit

Every team had a few players who dished it out in those days. We had several! Hollywood and Docker Walker spring to mind. “Chopper” Harris at Chelsea. Bremner and at least half of the Leeds team. There was very little rolling around on the floor then though (possibly because most pitches were like the Somme come mid winter!). They just got back up and took the opportunity to get one back on the perpetrator when the chance came. They could play though. A lot of people have been saying that although Nobby was known for putting his foot in, he was a brilliant reader of the game and could pass a ball. Scored a few too. If we won the WC now all of the squad would get a knighthood. It is shameful that so few of that iconic team ever received one.

When men were men and snowflakes only showed up in winter.
Nobby Stiles RIP on 13:11 - Oct 31 with 338 viewsChesham_Saint

Nobby Stiles RIP on 10:32 - Oct 31 by Ron11

When men were men and snowflakes only showed up in winter.

What’s amazing is how the likes of George Best, Alan Hudson and Frank Worthington etc managed to flourish in such a hard era...

Login to get fewer ads

Nobby Stiles RIP on 13:35 - Oct 31 with 333 viewsSadoldgit

Nobby Stiles RIP on 13:11 - Oct 31 by Chesham_Saint

What’s amazing is how the likes of George Best, Alan Hudson and Frank Worthington etc managed to flourish in such a hard era...

They could dish it out too. When George Best passed away there were plenty of stories about him taking a kicking but always getting his own back. Men were indeed men back then. Do you remember the keeper Bert Trautmann playing on with a broken neck?
Nobby Stiles RIP on 13:53 - Oct 31 with 330 viewsChesham_Saint

Nobby Stiles RIP on 13:35 - Oct 31 by Sadoldgit

They could dish it out too. When George Best passed away there were plenty of stories about him taking a kicking but always getting his own back. Men were indeed men back then. Do you remember the keeper Bert Trautmann playing on with a broken neck?

German prisoner of war? Man City? ‘56 cup final? Jumpers for posts?

Yes, I know about him.

I remember Bob Wilson (of Arsenal) and his tale about how hard Peter Storey was - he tried to play on with a broken leg, FFS.

Mind you , not as hard as Wayne Sheford, the All Black who played on after having a testicle ripped off....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024