Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will "the process" ever work? 18:26 - Sep 26 with 1067 viewssaint901

We are told that RM has a process which will result in the team playing the way he wants.

Whilst he has not consulted us on what that it, it seems he likes to play a passing/possession game which was popular at all levels of the game perhaps 5 to 10 years ago.

The theory is that by keeping the ball and drawing the opposition out of their defensive shape, you make space and opportunity for strikes on goal with a high probability of scoring. This rather than speculative strikes from distance or throwing the ball into the area without a specific target. I have no idea about comparative success rates (goals to attempts) from these methods but it was enough to convince some very good coaches to try it.

The day of the tika taka has however gone. Teams have learnt that as long as the ball is being played sideways and backwards in front of them, a penetrating pass into an organised defence is difficult for a good player (JWP say) and impossible for average players (most of the present midfield). Therefore by sitting and waiting for an error (the ball being given away) and taking a chance to break quickly, it's more likely to be the passing/possession tema out of shape and opportunities come. Add in the fact that most defenders are not blessed with fine ball skills and a high press not only stops the passing game but may yield a few goal scoring opportunities.

So tika taka died out because it's easy to stop and quite dangerous unless every player is absolutely on his game.

Instead we see the better PL sides go to a rotational system where midfield and strikers are able to interchange places and defenders will go across their line with the ball until space is available for a midfield player or deep returning striker. Even the international teams do this. Look at the pass made by Kane to Walker recently for a goal.

That rotational system needs less individual player skill but better fitness and some intelligence. We've seen the rise of clubs like Brentford and Fulham who have perhaps more "average" players than most but still manage to use this system.

My thoughts on watching the Champ so far this season is that many clubs play a version of the rotation system. They often have a focal point in attack and perhaps a holding midfield player, but otherwise their formation is flexible. Further, their defenders are encouraged to get to ball into midfield as soon as possible. Speed of pass and players changing positions are key to this and some (Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich, Norwich) are very good at it.

So why does RM think that a passing/possession game which is now largely unused in the top leagues, is better than a system used by the top PL teams?

Or are we wrong in saying that he wants a passing/possession game? (His past history suggests not).

And if he eventually concedes that this is not the system needed for success in the Champ, does he have a better system? And what happens if he never has the players for this system? Does he have another?

And how long do we wait?

I see posts about the November international break and Christmas. I see posts saying that we're "only" 6 points from the play off positions. That is in my view a false comparison because it says we are perhaps 40% less successful than the clubs at the top of the league and that differential at the end of the season will not get us near a play off.

If it were my club, I'd be asking RM to deliver 7 to 9 points from the next 4 games and if not, I'd want to see different tactics - ones that suit the players we have and not the ones he would like to have.

Will "the process" ever work? on 18:36 - Sep 26 with 1029 viewsSpitMk9

I vote for you to replace RM.
Will "the process" ever work? on 19:38 - Sep 26 with 980 viewsSouthamptonfan

It's theoretical, abstract nonsense. How an earth does anyone know that it will eventually work? These players might not ever get it. Some will get injured, some won't like it and so on. Just put a team on the pitch, do the basics right, play to the players strengths, be aggressive, work hard and get results. All this theoretical boll0x is destroying our club.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 19:40]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Will "the process" ever work? on 19:46 - Sep 26 with 957 viewsPatfromPoole

TRUST THE PROCESS.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Will "the process" ever work? on 20:19 - Sep 26 with 897 viewssaint22

He is a fraud, he is the BoJo of football
All bluff and hot air, shifting emphasis on to his players etc so he is unaccountable for his plans going constantly awry, blaming all and sundry but never accepting responsibility
What is his plan, his process?
Teaching his players to keep the ball? Thats not a process thats the game, but there needs an end product of which we dont have one, other than conceding possessions nd then goals

He needs to go
Will "the process" ever work? on 23:22 - Sep 26 with 741 viewsPatfromPoole

We are going to be stuck with this way of playing for some time while Wilcox is at the club.

Wilcox seems to be obsessed with a vision of getting promoted in such a way that there wouldn’t be much adapting required when ultimately in the Prem.

It’s nonsense, of course.

You obviously have to get promoted as the first step, and then fight like hell to stay up.

The way to get promoted is to get the basics right, keep it simple, be tight at the back, and have a way of playing that everybody in the squad is comfortable with.

Martin isn’t into any of that.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Will "the process" ever work? on 08:17 - Sep 27 with 628 viewsMattFinish

Martin’s system isn’t working. It didn’t work for him at MK Dons, it didn’t work for him at Swansea and it won’t work for him at Saints
For this system to work you have to have a top notch manager and players that are way better than anyone else in the league. That’s how it worked for Barcelona and Manchester City
It’s time to dump Martin and try to save our season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024