Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" 21:02 - Apr 25 with 9378 viewsNeathJack

And then appear to pull it

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/swanseas-garry-monk-wins-permanent-3
Mirror publish story that on 23:07 - Apr 25 with 1464 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that on 22:25 - Apr 25 by JackTheLad

I think its 3 wins in 11 Premier League games. Anyhow, there are the games we drew such as Arsenal where we really deserved 3 points, Palace where Chico got sent off and they were given a penalty! (for a tackle OUTSIDE the box). The game vs Chelsea where I don't think you can ask for too much else in terms of effort. We have been extremely unlucky, yet still he has (so far) got us where we need to be.

It's been said he is similar to BR.. and as far as I can see on the pitch we seem to be playing the same football and if that is the nearest we are going to get to having BR back then we just accept it. For me that is moving in the right direction, get back to playing the way we were 2 seasons back before Laudrup took over
[Post edited 25 Apr 2014 22:26]

What when we thought we had been found out and had no plan B and were delighted we had changed?
Mirror publish story that on 23:17 - Apr 25 with 1442 viewsJackTheLad

Mirror publish story that on 23:07 - Apr 25 by Spratty

What when we thought we had been found out and had no plan B and were delighted we had changed?

We?

Don't include me in that bracket. I was completely thrilled at coming 11th in the league.

Poll: Who would you like to see take over long term as Manager?

Mirror publish story that on 23:32 - Apr 25 with 1390 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that on 23:17 - Apr 25 by JackTheLad

We?

Don't include me in that bracket. I was completely thrilled at coming 11th in the league.

So was I. But are you saying there were not many complaints about lack of a plan B.

Nor many delighted about our more direct approach under Laudrup especially when it was so immediately successful? Then more comments about lack of a plan B under Brod.

These latter complaints may have been due to bitterness but funny how much eveyone seems to be saying how brilliant he is now he is close to winning the League. Such is life.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 23:42 - Apr 25 with 1367 viewsLeJacobin

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 22:19 - Apr 25 by Darran

Di Matteo won the CL.

Di Matteo had experience at MK Dons and WBA so he wasn't really "promoted from within."

I agree with Chief that there aren't many success stories of people being promoted to manager from player from within a club. That's not to say Monk wouldn't do a good job though.
Mirror publish story that on 23:43 - Apr 25 with 1362 viewsJackTheLad

Mirror publish story that on 23:32 - Apr 25 by Spratty

So was I. But are you saying there were not many complaints about lack of a plan B.

Nor many delighted about our more direct approach under Laudrup especially when it was so immediately successful? Then more comments about lack of a plan B under Brod.

These latter complaints may have been due to bitterness but funny how much eveyone seems to be saying how brilliant he is now he is close to winning the League. Such is life.

There were complaints from a few, but there always will be (as we are also seeing now with GM). I think though the claim that we had been 'found out' was actually a load of cr*p myself. I did enjoy, as would have everyone the instant impact ML had on our squad, winning 5-0 away at QPR in our first game, things certainly seemed as if he changed us for the better. But I am pretty certain that was more to do with a perfect balance, we were already ingrained into playing the tippy tappy football we are famous for long before and more recently to then with Roders. ML added his input (more direct, wingers cutting inside, slower tempo - are the tactical traits I noticed) and it was a good balance, but the longer it went on the further we looked like the Swansea we know, the Swansea we are looking like again. I'd rather the tippy tappy, 110% effort, little triangle passing - pass the opposition to death football we are playing now anyday.

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 23:48 - Apr 25 with 1341 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 21:36 - Apr 25 by JackTheLad

I'll be happy if that's true. Deserves it with the work he puts in..

You do understand he is going to get a bonus for a few months dream work experience that most people who slog all their life could not dream about saving in 45 years.

He has been extremely lucky and any trainee manager would kill for the opportunity he has had.

If he gets the managers job I hope he is very successful, I also hope he stops that grinning. However he is one hell of a risk and would not be my choice.

Despite all the accusations - were you not the only one who said part of you hoped we didn't do well if he didn't get the managers job. I don't recall anyone who did not want him as manager saying anything of the sort about our club as surely that would be unthinkable? I really do not know how you could even think that.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 23:52 - Apr 25 with 1332 viewsJackTheLad

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 23:48 - Apr 25 by Spratty

You do understand he is going to get a bonus for a few months dream work experience that most people who slog all their life could not dream about saving in 45 years.

He has been extremely lucky and any trainee manager would kill for the opportunity he has had.

If he gets the managers job I hope he is very successful, I also hope he stops that grinning. However he is one hell of a risk and would not be my choice.

Despite all the accusations - were you not the only one who said part of you hoped we didn't do well if he didn't get the managers job. I don't recall anyone who did not want him as manager saying anything of the sort about our club as surely that would be unthinkable? I really do not know how you could even think that.

That last paragraph there. What? Think you are getting me confused with someone else. If Craig Bellamy was in charge and Jimmy Saville was his Assistant I would still hope we do well, Swans are my club

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 00:24 - Apr 26 with 1265 viewsNatterjack

I'm not really enthused about Monk getting the job permanently - but if he's given it he'll have my backing 100%.

I hope with a full pre-season and a squad reshuffle he'll come up with the goods. My nerves couldn't take another flirt with the bottom 3 next season
Login to get fewer ads

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 00:40 - Apr 26 with 1241 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 23:52 - Apr 25 by JackTheLad

That last paragraph there. What? Think you are getting me confused with someone else. If Craig Bellamy was in charge and Jimmy Saville was his Assistant I would still hope we do well, Swans are my club

Sincere apologies JTL, I should have checked it out as I was going to but could not be assed - my mistake.

I agree about supporting the team as I know do others who have been accused of hoping we lose. That is why I was really amused when a big Monk supporter actually said a small part of them hoped we did not do well if we got a different manager.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 00:47 - Apr 26 with 1230 viewsJackTheLad

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 00:40 - Apr 26 by Spratty

Sincere apologies JTL, I should have checked it out as I was going to but could not be assed - my mistake.

I agree about supporting the team as I know do others who have been accused of hoping we lose. That is why I was really amused when a big Monk supporter actually said a small part of them hoped we did not do well if we got a different manager.

Appreciate the apology

That is just plain ridiculous whoever said that, I have said all along since he was appointed - I would be equally happy with Garry stepping down to Assistant under someone else for a few seasons to get some experience, but If HJ and co think he is made of the stuff required for us to remain successful then who are we to argue. I'd imagine they have slightly more idea of suitability for a manager than anyone else on this board.

Mirror publish story that on 01:09 - Apr 26 with 1214 viewsMolliemick

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 22:53 - Apr 25 by Swanseajill

Perhaps it's the devil you know, because we have had a couple of beauts recently.

I believe 'big name managers' perhaps take the job to use as a stepping stone, always looking for a greener grass somewhere and going on to bigger and better clubs leaving us holding the baby.

The fans make this club, most of them are from the locality, some have moved away but are still Jacks. Unlike say..Man U fans who may never have been to Manchester in their lives and support their club through TV pictures.
The board are made up of fans, I know that a couple of them would travel on the supporters bus when they were youngsters. Gary, like Leon, Trunds and Tatey, are also fans as well as professional players. He is doing what the board have asked of him, I hope he stays on the staff in one capacity or another, whether it's the managers job or coach I wish him well.
Perhaps indeed, it's better the devil you know, and hope that he wont do a moonlight flit, when someone whispers in his ear.

What you state about 'big name managers' is absolutely spot on. They see small clubs like Swansea as merely stepping stones for personal advancement. Liverpool after Shank were very successful with internally appointed managers. Loyalty cannot be bought, integrity is beyond price.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 01:19 - Apr 26 with 1205 viewsQuakerJack

"So impressed by the job he's done" what? winning three games against the two worst teams in the league and a team that have been on holiday since January.

He's done nothing that Laudrup didn't do and he was deemed worthy of the sack.

Very uninspired and have very little confidence in the manager or the board to make key decisions. How have they gone from making inspired appointments to jobs for the boys?

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Mirror publish story that on 01:22 - Apr 26 with 1204 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that on 23:43 - Apr 25 by JackTheLad

There were complaints from a few, but there always will be (as we are also seeing now with GM). I think though the claim that we had been 'found out' was actually a load of cr*p myself. I did enjoy, as would have everyone the instant impact ML had on our squad, winning 5-0 away at QPR in our first game, things certainly seemed as if he changed us for the better. But I am pretty certain that was more to do with a perfect balance, we were already ingrained into playing the tippy tappy football we are famous for long before and more recently to then with Roders. ML added his input (more direct, wingers cutting inside, slower tempo - are the tactical traits I noticed) and it was a good balance, but the longer it went on the further we looked like the Swansea we know, the Swansea we are looking like again. I'd rather the tippy tappy, 110% effort, little triangle passing - pass the opposition to death football we are playing now anyday.

Complaints from a few, think it was many (remember on the dole by Christmas), think it is also many that would prefer a more experienced manager next year.

Think ML's success may have had a little to do with the new players as well not least of which Michu. We were more attacking last year and enjoyed that. You cannot expect the major key injuries and 50% more packed fixtures this year not to affect our shape, which I have seen fall totally apart a number of times since ML left especially when subs made.

Thing I liked about ML was the credit and respect he always (correctly) gave to the previous managers and said he was just tinkering with things. TBH it is moving to be more attacking (like ML was) that has made Bren more successful. Initially the Liverpool fans were driven mad by the constant passing backwards - death by football as he unfortunately called it

Thing is there is something very special in our team a mixture of some of our existing players and some of the skilled players that came in post ML. Sometimes some of our best football has come with some of our key players missing. We need someone with real vision and skill to get the best out of them.

You can row the boat like buggery but if it is not pointing in the right direction you are wasting your time.
Mirror publish story that on 01:35 - Apr 26 with 1192 viewsSpratty

Mirror publish story that on 01:09 - Apr 26 by Molliemick

What you state about 'big name managers' is absolutely spot on. They see small clubs like Swansea as merely stepping stones for personal advancement. Liverpool after Shank were very successful with internally appointed managers. Loyalty cannot be bought, integrity is beyond price.

Funny how the big name manager kept his promise to the players and fans to stay when his stock was exceptionally high.

Other 2 fekked off ASAP

Integrity is one of the concerns I have in what happened with the Laudrup sacking and the part of the senior players in it. Loyalty for most is until a better offer comes along. ML had all his success as a footballer - IMO (and many others said this at the time) he was driven by different things to other managers and really wanted to kick us on, possibly (rightly or wrongly) the risk needed to do that was outside our comfort zone.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 01:40 - Apr 26 with 1190 viewsjruss1

So if GM gets the job, does well and gets approached by a bigger club he's going to turn it down to stay loyal to us?

I don't buy that sorry.

Get the best man. Whether it's a big name or not.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 01:45 - Apr 26 with 1164 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 01:40 - Apr 26 by jruss1

So if GM gets the job, does well and gets approached by a bigger club he's going to turn it down to stay loyal to us?

I don't buy that sorry.

Get the best man. Whether it's a big name or not.

Exactly. Unless you're Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United etc then you will always be a stepping stone club. Even 'legendary' players of our recent past chose other teams / adventures before the Swans;

Trundle chose Bristol City, Britton chased the money to Sheffield United, Alan Tate chose Wind Street over a first team spot etc.

I'd quite frankly be delighted if a new manager came in, did well and left for a bigger club. It hasn't hurt us so far has it?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 02:46 - Apr 26 with 1130 viewsswanduck

Sorry to be a misery but I will be gutted if we appoint him, can only see us in another relegation battle if he is the manager next season.

I wanted GM to do a good job, but he hasn't, not good enough to warrant a permanant managerial position in arguably the top league in Europe.

By all means keep him on the coaching staff, allow him to go off, finish his badges and continue to learn under our new manager. Maybe in a few years he will be ready but right now he isn't.

Add on to that the seemingly increasingly fractured squad harmoney and I really just think that GM cannot stay on as manager if we want to do what is best for our club.

I trust the board to appoint the right man. When Monk was first appointed I compared it to the appointment of Martinez, and maybe if we were still in League 1 Monk would be ideal, but the PL is too much IMO.

I honeslty hope this story is bullshit, I know the boad probably love the guy but surely they realise that appointing him permanently is not the corect move. I always am greatful we have a board that continually works in favour of the club and has made some really astute managerial choices over the years, I just hope their love for GM doesn't blind them in acting in favour of the club.

Of course I will suppot GM, but I will also be entering next season with a heavy heart and little confidence in our ability to stay up if he is at the helm.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 07:50 - Apr 26 with 1051 viewsGowerjack

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 02:46 - Apr 26 by swanduck

Sorry to be a misery but I will be gutted if we appoint him, can only see us in another relegation battle if he is the manager next season.

I wanted GM to do a good job, but he hasn't, not good enough to warrant a permanant managerial position in arguably the top league in Europe.

By all means keep him on the coaching staff, allow him to go off, finish his badges and continue to learn under our new manager. Maybe in a few years he will be ready but right now he isn't.

Add on to that the seemingly increasingly fractured squad harmoney and I really just think that GM cannot stay on as manager if we want to do what is best for our club.

I trust the board to appoint the right man. When Monk was first appointed I compared it to the appointment of Martinez, and maybe if we were still in League 1 Monk would be ideal, but the PL is too much IMO.

I honeslty hope this story is bullshit, I know the boad probably love the guy but surely they realise that appointing him permanently is not the corect move. I always am greatful we have a board that continually works in favour of the club and has made some really astute managerial choices over the years, I just hope their love for GM doesn't blind them in acting in favour of the club.

Of course I will suppot GM, but I will also be entering next season with a heavy heart and little confidence in our ability to stay up if he is at the helm.

Impossible to argue with any of that

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:07 - Apr 26 with 1032 viewsOldjack

Garry could do for us what Moyes achieved at Everton ,stability ,which we all crave for, no fancy signings but yet some very good signings who give 100% all the time ,plus first and foremost a damn hard team to beat ,what more can you ask for

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:18 - Apr 26 with 1010 viewsUxbridge

John Cross. Yeah that Arsenal fanboy is well in at the Swans.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:21 - Apr 26 with 1007 viewsOldjack

the story is back up now

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:50 - Apr 26 with 952 viewsWarwickHunt

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:21 - Apr 26 by Oldjack

the story is back up now

Story being the correct term.

Not a shred of evidence there, just the usual pathetic Mirror dogshit.
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:57 - Apr 26 with 937 viewsgrabsplatter

I thought getting rid of Laudrup was the correct thing to do but was never convinced Monk was the answer - I realise what he's done for us as a player over the years & wish him well but giving him the job permanently is a mistake in my eyes.
We've had some good performances under Monk but some really poor ones as well, what's concerned me has been his inability to change things when a game starts to turn against us (Palace & West Brom).
I don't blame him because with no previous experience it's understandable.
Unless the club bring in somebody experienced to work with him who also has contacts for player recruitment then I'm not impressed
Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:59 - Apr 26 with 931 viewsPrivate_Partz

I agree swanduck. Except I am already effing angry with the Board. I will remain so next season and full of trepidation if this comes about. Financial prudence is fine but I do not support an agenda to do everything on the cheap and cross your fingers.
I also don't want a Moyes style of football to just 'make us hard to beat'. The swansea way has served us well and long may it continue.
Just a thought though. This is Gorman's Mirror. If there is a potential split in the team then what better way to disrupt the squad then printing this news story.
I really hope it is bull's pwp.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 09:05 - Apr 26 with 910 viewsOldjack

Mirror publish story that "Monk wins permanent appointment" on 08:50 - Apr 26 by WarwickHunt

Story being the correct term.

Not a shred of evidence there, just the usual pathetic Mirror dogshit.

i hope you voted yes on the poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024