Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has Monk & Co done to us??? 16:59 - Feb 1 with 21972 viewsUplandsJack

At game today and oh my god we are SHIT!!!
We are simply unrecognisable to the team of recent times...
We are playing with a back 3 (as Taylor is cooking useless)
And a front 2 of Gomis & Shelvey... Dyer might as well be at
Home the use he is... We are just kicking the ball upfield and
Giving away possession for them to attack again and again...
14% possession is an all time low for us while in PL...
The only suprise so far is that we are still in in ( of sorts) as its 0-0...
Let's hope the 2nd half offers us travelling Jacks a lot more!!!
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:24 - Feb 2 with 1241 viewsPrivate_Partz

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:20 - Feb 2 by Parlay

If we went there for a point then thats awful.

I don't tend to feel that way and countless teams have done that at the Liberty. In addition to defence there is also cynical fouling and time wasting from the off. Whereas I don't agree with most of that I think setting ourselves up to kill the game when we have a weakened side playing against in form opposition is not too bad.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:26 - Feb 2 with 1232 viewssixpenses

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:07 - Feb 2 by Starsky

Sorry to be pedantic but Swansea had 3 clear cut chances... Gomeeez went close in the first half, Shelvey hit the post and then of course hit the winner.
The fact whether they were on target can be misleading. I'm sure that The Gomis chance and the Shelvey post strike, both technically not on target... We're better than some of Southamptons on target efforts.

Not that I disagree with the point you make and close misses like that are very encouraging - most especially as close as Shelvey's miss.

So sorry to be pedantic...... But not technically on target!

They either were or were not on target

They may have been better shots than some of the Southampton efforts but there is nothing misleading about the fact that as they were not on target they could never have been goals (technical or not) even with an open goal.

We actually had 6 shots - but only the goal was on target
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:27 - Feb 2 with 1227 viewsParlay

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:24 - Feb 2 by Private_Partz

I don't tend to feel that way and countless teams have done that at the Liberty. In addition to defence there is also cynical fouling and time wasting from the off. Whereas I don't agree with most of that I think setting ourselves up to kill the game when we have a weakened side playing against in form opposition is not too bad.

I agree teams have come to the Liberty to set up for a point. Doesnt make it right and Huw has stated quite clearly when Laudrup was in charge that not going out to win against the better sides is something he strongly disliked. This is Southampton not Chelsea.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:30 - Feb 2 with 1223 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:20 - Feb 2 by Parlay

If we went there for a point then thats awful.

We went there with a defensive setup with the plan to hit them on the counter attack.
A side without Britton, Routledge, Montero, Siggy, and during the game, Emnes.
Were also getting used to life without Bony.
It was a realistic game plan particularly with the players available.
If you still don't agree. Would you at least agree that this is the reverse of what happened with the home tie against the Saints?
Karma.

It's just the internet, init.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:32 - Feb 2 with 1212 viewsC_jack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:30 - Feb 2 by Starsky

We went there with a defensive setup with the plan to hit them on the counter attack.
If you still don't agree. Would you at least agree that this is the reverse of what happened with the home tie against the Saints?
Karma.

What happened to the counter attack part for 80 minutes? It didn't happen.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:33 - Feb 2 with 1210 viewsPrivate_Partz

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:27 - Feb 2 by Parlay

I agree teams have come to the Liberty to set up for a point. Doesnt make it right and Huw has stated quite clearly when Laudrup was in charge that not going out to win against the better sides is something he strongly disliked. This is Southampton not Chelsea.

I always thought ML tried to win every game but he recognised it was not always possible against the top teams so we played a more cautious game.
It is only my view of the match anyway. Gary will tell you we aimed to frustrate them and the crowd before hitting them on the break late on. Easy to say after the game but that is the way it panned out so it might very well be true.
Most here would have accepted a point before the game and I suspect our management felt the same way.
I will repeat that I hope this is not the norm as i would not like us to set out our stall like this for every game.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 18:39]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:33 - Feb 2 with 1207 viewsWxmJax

Karma.

No he won't agree. Don't worry, just laugh at his opinions like most of us do. Don't reply to his posts either, clogs up the board something rotten.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:33 - Feb 2 with 1202 viewsParlay

Karma.

So we either set out for a point or we didn't. We we didn't and intended to go there and win then the fact we didn't have a shot on target apart from the 30 yard effort that went in is a major concern.

As for Saints at home, isnt that when Bony goy sent off early? I dont think you can compare the matches can you?

Its nit a complaint about this game either, this has been our tactic for the last few months against much worse teams than Southampton. The West Ham game was similarly awful to watch. Im chuffed we won but amazed we did.

Forum celebrity

Login to get fewer ads

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:35 - Feb 2 with 1204 viewsfootball2301

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:26 - Feb 2 by sixpenses

Not that I disagree with the point you make and close misses like that are very encouraging - most especially as close as Shelvey's miss.

So sorry to be pedantic...... But not technically on target!

They either were or were not on target

They may have been better shots than some of the Southampton efforts but there is nothing misleading about the fact that as they were not on target they could never have been goals (technical or not) even with an open goal.

We actually had 6 shots - but only the goal was on target

its the only one that needed to be for 3 valuable points !
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:37 - Feb 2 with 1194 viewssixpenses

Karma.

I know Koeman is getting a lot of stick for the lucky comment

But when interviewed before the match he was quite open about having luck when coming to us.

Kama possibly but the winner takes it all and both teams won away with some luck and for us dogged defending. Nowt wrong in that for me but either it is the Swansea way to do that when appropriate - or you get sacked for it.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:39 - Feb 2 with 1186 viewsParlay

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:33 - Feb 2 by WxmJax

No he won't agree. Don't worry, just laugh at his opinions like most of us do. Don't reply to his posts either, clogs up the board something rotten.

Stop crying.

Forum celebrity

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:41 - Feb 2 with 1186 viewsDaggyjack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:33 - Feb 2 by Parlay

So we either set out for a point or we didn't. We we didn't and intended to go there and win then the fact we didn't have a shot on target apart from the 30 yard effort that went in is a major concern.

As for Saints at home, isnt that when Bony goy sent off early? I dont think you can compare the matches can you?

Its nit a complaint about this game either, this has been our tactic for the last few months against much worse teams than Southampton. The West Ham game was similarly awful to watch. Im chuffed we won but amazed we did.

I' prefer to listen to two well respected ex-players in Le Tissier (who could have been bias but wasn't) and Carragher, when they both announced what a great game plan we executed today. Both stated that we deserved to win and I agree.
It isn't about playing the "Swansea way" all the time, horses for courses. If we'd have done that and lost 5-0, Monk would have been blasted, so fair play to GM in my eyes.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:41 - Feb 2 with 1186 viewsskippyjack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:07 - Feb 2 by Parlay

Didnt Huw state not so long ago that this playing for a point mentality needs to be knocked on the head? That being under Laudrup.

As someone said earlier, they are southampton not Real Madrid and we are good enough to play them our way not changing our game to play them.

Its not like these tactics have only been adopted in this game, its been the case for the last few months which has contributed to our difficult patch.

It's also got us 33 points in 23 games.. you can't play like Brazil overnight..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:42 - Feb 2 with 1182 viewsParlay

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:35 - Feb 2 by football2301

We are all aware of that, we are looking at the bigger picture though.

Having one 30 yard effort on target all game will not cut it 99% of the time. So to say the tactics were spot on just as the performance isnt entirely true. A great result but a bad performance.

As martinez used to say, look after the performances and the results will take care of themselves.

Forum celebrity

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:43 - Feb 2 with 1178 viewssixpenses

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:35 - Feb 2 by football2301

Certainly in full agreement on that

Love to Jonjo on his magnificent effort

I will resume defending him when some of the usual suspects forget what he brings to this team and also how important he has been to us in the past.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:54 - Feb 2 with 1162 viewsPrivate_Partz

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:42 - Feb 2 by Parlay

We are all aware of that, we are looking at the bigger picture though.

Having one 30 yard effort on target all game will not cut it 99% of the time. So to say the tactics were spot on just as the performance isnt entirely true. A great result but a bad performance.

As martinez used to say, look after the performances and the results will take care of themselves.

I did not think it was a bad performance. It was not pretty but it was effective as I believe Southampton did not have that many chances. I take your point about efforts being on target but it can be misleading and I would have been disappointed if Fab had let any of their opportunities in apart form the early foot save and ash's heroics at the end.
Had southampton's early effort gone in then I suspect we would have seen a different performance and we would have tried to stand toe to toe with them to get back into the game. In such circumstances we could have ended up with a similar result to the Chelsea game which was tactically all wrong.
I am hoping for a huge improvement in performance when Corky starts and our big hitters in midfield return.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 18:55]

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:46 - Feb 2 with 1116 viewsexiledclaseboy

Yesterday's was the kind of performance that if it works and we win (we did) then great, the tactics worked while not being pretty. If we'd lost it would have been derided as clueless in the extreme. Such are the fine lines in football and especially among football fans.

Poll: Tory leader

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:47 - Feb 2 with 1115 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:08 - Feb 1 by Darran

He's an attention seeker.

F*cking hell the irony

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:51 - Feb 2 with 1099 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:47 - Feb 2 by Brynmill_Jack

F*cking hell the irony

I'm worried about you Brynnie,I really don't understand how someone can go from being of average intelligence to being one of the thickest c*nts on here in a matter of months.

That's a serious post.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:54 - Feb 2 with 1088 viewsParlay

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:54 - Feb 2 by Private_Partz

I did not think it was a bad performance. It was not pretty but it was effective as I believe Southampton did not have that many chances. I take your point about efforts being on target but it can be misleading and I would have been disappointed if Fab had let any of their opportunities in apart form the early foot save and ash's heroics at the end.
Had southampton's early effort gone in then I suspect we would have seen a different performance and we would have tried to stand toe to toe with them to get back into the game. In such circumstances we could have ended up with a similar result to the Chelsea game which was tactically all wrong.
I am hoping for a huge improvement in performance when Corky starts and our big hitters in midfield return.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 18:55]

How is it misleading though? If we had chance after chance and fluffed them then i would take your point. We didnt create ANY clear cut chances. None. The whole match.

We had two thirty yard efforts and a half chance for Gomis who would not be expected to score. Thats it.

I think ECB's point is pertinent. If that 30 yarder was saved and Ward Prowses shot wasnt magnificently saved then i dont think we would see one post hailing the tactical masterclass served up and indeed stated the poor almost anti swansea tactics deployed.... Yet the tactics would have been the same as the ones we are currently discussing.

Forum celebrity

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:58 - Feb 2 with 1069 viewsjackonicko

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:54 - Feb 2 by Parlay

How is it misleading though? If we had chance after chance and fluffed them then i would take your point. We didnt create ANY clear cut chances. None. The whole match.

We had two thirty yard efforts and a half chance for Gomis who would not be expected to score. Thats it.

I think ECB's point is pertinent. If that 30 yarder was saved and Ward Prowses shot wasnt magnificently saved then i dont think we would see one post hailing the tactical masterclass served up and indeed stated the poor almost anti swansea tactics deployed.... Yet the tactics would have been the same as the ones we are currently discussing.

Erm, of course if that 30 yarder was saved and Ward Prowses shot wasn't saved then we would be having a different conversation.

But it wasn't and it wasn't.

Monk had a plan, the team executed it, and we sneaked 3 points at a place few other teams have managed.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 with 1065 viewsskippyjack

We've used these tactics since we've come up.. we're just not keeping the ball like we normally do..

This board has seriously gone down the proverbial football pan.. you're all sycophantic delusionists.. you swear we used to cut teams to ribbons.. I'm losing faith in our fans.. no wonder why I can't get a job.. you're all f*cking dense.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 with 1064 viewsexiledclaseboy

My point works all ways though. If we'd turned up at St Mary's yesterday and played "champagne football" but left ourselves open at the back and lost 2-0, those tactics would probably have been derided by many as clueless and asking for trouble. Many of those doing the deriding would probably have been the same as those deriding yesterday' successful tactics. Such is life.

Poll: Tory leader

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:02 - Feb 2 with 1054 viewsParlay

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 by skippyjack

We've used these tactics since we've come up.. we're just not keeping the ball like we normally do..

This board has seriously gone down the proverbial football pan.. you're all sycophantic delusionists.. you swear we used to cut teams to ribbons.. I'm losing faith in our fans.. no wonder why I can't get a job.. you're all f*cking dense.

We certainly have not used those tactics since we have come up.

We arent keeping the ball as we used to for a reason, it is either being lumped aimlessly or we are not comfortable enough in possession to keep it due to the fact we done press and win it back and when we have it are "cold" with it which affects our fluidity.

Forum celebrity

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:03 - Feb 2 with 1055 viewsUxbridge

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:46 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

Yesterday's was the kind of performance that if it works and we win (we did) then great, the tactics worked while not being pretty. If we'd lost it would have been derided as clueless in the extreme. Such are the fine lines in football and especially among football fans.

That's the same every single game though

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024