Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has Monk & Co done to us??? 16:59 - Feb 1 with 21974 viewsUplandsJack

At game today and oh my god we are SHIT!!!
We are simply unrecognisable to the team of recent times...
We are playing with a back 3 (as Taylor is cooking useless)
And a front 2 of Gomis & Shelvey... Dyer might as well be at
Home the use he is... We are just kicking the ball upfield and
Giving away possession for them to attack again and again...
14% possession is an all time low for us while in PL...
The only suprise so far is that we are still in in ( of sorts) as its 0-0...
Let's hope the 2nd half offers us travelling Jacks a lot more!!!
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:04 - Feb 2 with 1095 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

My point works all ways though. If we'd turned up at St Mary's yesterday and played "champagne football" but left ourselves open at the back and lost 2-0, those tactics would probably have been derided by many as clueless and asking for trouble. Many of those doing the deriding would probably have been the same as those deriding yesterday' successful tactics. Such is life.

Leave Warwick out of it mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:05 - Feb 2 with 1092 viewsexiledclaseboy

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 by skippyjack

We've used these tactics since we've come up.. we're just not keeping the ball like we normally do..

This board has seriously gone down the proverbial football pan.. you're all sycophantic delusionists.. you swear we used to cut teams to ribbons.. I'm losing faith in our fans.. no wonder why I can't get a job.. you're all f*cking dense.

Not often I agree with you Skip but I do on this one. Back when previous managers were here we'd regularly go away from home, dominate possession and lose one or two nil. We were told then that this wasn't good enough, we need to smarten up and have a much vaunted plan b which involved being able to grind out results, toughen up, recognise that we can't play so openly away from home every week. Yet when we do that, and we've done it a few times this season (Hull and yesterday for example) that isn't good enough either. Winning isn't enough because we didn't pass the ball enough, we didn't have enough possession, we didn't have enough shots. We're the new Stoke City or some such nonsense.

Yet what we did do was go to a ground where only Man City and Man Utd have won this season and, yes, won.

Poll: Tory leader

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:06 - Feb 2 with 1088 viewsexiledclaseboy

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:03 - Feb 2 by Uxbridge

That's the same every single game though

Yup. That was the point I was trying to make (badly it seems).

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:13 - Feb 2 with 1073 viewsjackonicko

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:00 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

My point works all ways though. If we'd turned up at St Mary's yesterday and played "champagne football" but left ourselves open at the back and lost 2-0, those tactics would probably have been derided by many as clueless and asking for trouble. Many of those doing the deriding would probably have been the same as those deriding yesterday' successful tactics. Such is life.

And those of us giving Monk credit where its due would be deriding him too.

Just like I did after the Chelsea game. Monk's team selection for that one looked doomed to fail before a ball was kicked. Many of us before the game predicted a hammering and so it came to pass. At least Monk learned from it. I'd have been very concerned to see no Fulton and Oliveria/Gomis combination up front!

I looked at the team sheet on sunday and whilst concerned at the personnel available, couldn't argue with the team he put out.

Someone on here posted in the week that he had spoken to an unnamed player and that there was a steely determination in the squad to make up for the last few results. They certainly did that.

Had we lost yesterday 2-0, I doubt there would have been too much gnashing of teeth. Most of us expected it anyway. Monk and the team defied all of us.

That's not to say that the concession of possession and press that we have seen over the last few months under GM doesn't remain a concern. There are times when a Plan C like yesterday are called for. I would lpersonally ike to see more of Plan A - it is what makes us greater than a sum of our parts and has been the core ingredient for our survival in the PL. I fear that that is being eroded.

But 'champagne football' at all times with no Plan B or C has been our undoing in games under Laudrup, under Rodgers and under Martinez. I can't criticise that one week, and then not give credit to Monk when he mixes it up and it works.

Lets see how we do when the pressure comes off towards the end of the season and with a full strength squad to pick from. As Starksy will tell you, this is the strongest team we have ever had.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:17 - Feb 2 with 1063 viewsTom1912

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:05 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

Not often I agree with you Skip but I do on this one. Back when previous managers were here we'd regularly go away from home, dominate possession and lose one or two nil. We were told then that this wasn't good enough, we need to smarten up and have a much vaunted plan b which involved being able to grind out results, toughen up, recognise that we can't play so openly away from home every week. Yet when we do that, and we've done it a few times this season (Hull and yesterday for example) that isn't good enough either. Winning isn't enough because we didn't pass the ball enough, we didn't have enough possession, we didn't have enough shots. We're the new Stoke City or some such nonsense.

Yet what we did do was go to a ground where only Man City and Man Utd have won this season and, yes, won.

Totally agree.

We have a lot of our more dangerous players out. We lined up with a very young midfield (Dyer was the only player over 22 after Emnes went off for Barrow) against a side that are playing superbly especially at home. We're also coming off the back of 2 of our worst results of the season. Keeping things tight and playing for a draw was exactly what we needed to do, with the possibility of catching them on the break as the game went on.

I really think Monk showed great judgement in how he approached the game. We went with a plan and executed it perfectly. Honestly, I'm shocked anyone could have an issue with the Southampton performance, bar the opening 15 minutes or so in which we were really open.
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:18 - Feb 2 with 1062 viewsexiledclaseboy

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:13 - Feb 2 by jackonicko

Just like I did after the Chelsea game. Monk's team selection for that one looked doomed to fail before a ball was kicked. Many of us before the game predicted a hammering and so it came to pass. At least Monk learned from it. I'd have been very concerned to see no Fulton and Oliveria/Gomis combination up front!

I looked at the team sheet on sunday and whilst concerned at the personnel available, couldn't argue with the team he put out.

Someone on here posted in the week that he had spoken to an unnamed player and that there was a steely determination in the squad to make up for the last few results. They certainly did that.

Had we lost yesterday 2-0, I doubt there would have been too much gnashing of teeth. Most of us expected it anyway. Monk and the team defied all of us.

That's not to say that the concession of possession and press that we have seen over the last few months under GM doesn't remain a concern. There are times when a Plan C like yesterday are called for. I would lpersonally ike to see more of Plan A - it is what makes us greater than a sum of our parts and has been the core ingredient for our survival in the PL. I fear that that is being eroded.

But 'champagne football' at all times with no Plan B or C has been our undoing in games under Laudrup, under Rodgers and under Martinez. I can't criticise that one week, and then not give credit to Monk when he mixes it up and it works.

Lets see how we do when the pressure comes off towards the end of the season and with a full strength squad to pick from. As Starksy will tell you, this is the strongest team we have ever had.

What a fine, reasonable and balanced post. Are you sure you're a Tory?

Apart from the bit about the gnashing of teeth (you've seen the reaction on here because we didn't win in the "right" way, imagine the carnage if we had actually lost the game) I agree with all of it.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:24 - Feb 2 with 1047 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:32 - Feb 2 by C_jack

What happened to the counter attack part for 80 minutes? It didn't happen.

It happened for Shelvey twice and Gomis once

It's just the internet, init.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:25 - Feb 2 with 1038 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:18 - Feb 1 by acejack3065

Objective in victory?

We have just sold our top goal scorer, our entire starting midfield is out injured or suspended, we had an injury within 15 minutes and our form hasn't been great after a difficult christmas and January period.

We have just come away from St Mary's with 3 points after executing a game plan designed to frustrate and possibly steal a goal after getting to the half with the scores at 0-0. This was our game plan because our midfield has been stripped and Southampton are 4th in the league. We could have set up like Villa and been ruined but we played to our strengths, defended with our bodies on the line and nicked that all important goal. The set up and tactics worked.

Yeah it wasn't pretty, yeah we rode our luck and yeah we didnt deserve all three points but when the whistle went we had scored more goals and had a clean sheet.

How's that for objectivity? Just lighten up, grab a beer and enjoy the great away win.

Yesterday was a backs to the wall situation for Monk and the whole squad due to the suspension and injury list and losing Bony, but instead of folding there was a deep resolve not to lose the game.

A lot of hard work was done by the entire team and not only did they achieve the main objective, they won the game after withstanding Southampton's first half onslaught. Yes we may have ridden our luck a little and our ball retention at times was worrying but nevertheless the team dug in and secured us a massive 3 points, arguably a better result than the away win at untied due to our form during January as well as the aforementioned absences.

A lot has been made of Dyer's form but yesterday in the second half he forced turnovers in possession that relieved the pressure that Southampton were trying to build on us. For that he deserves massive credit. Our passing game is definitely off the boil but during the second half we certainly seemed to gain confidence and on quite a few occasions passed the ball well on the break. Bafetimbi Gomis played a big part in that with some great movement and availability as the focal point of our attack.

Jonjo Shelvey, after a few games where he seemed to have his head down and looked to be lacking in confidence put in a massive performance yesterday and revelled in the added responsibility in being the senior midfielder, even though he's only young himself. A more mature performance I don't think I've seen from him and that will give him a massive confidence boost for the remainder of the season. Fulton and Carroll followed the JJS example and performed admirably against a far more experienced midfield unit.

Barrow is proving himself to be a very capable outlet for us when we need it and our defence and goalkeeper were solid under pressure, Williams' two goal line blocks summing up a never surrender spirit.

All in all a day for our supporters to be justifiably proud of a great result and a welcome improvement in our performance level than of late.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:26 - Feb 2 with 1033 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 18:26 - Feb 2 by sixpenses

Not that I disagree with the point you make and close misses like that are very encouraging - most especially as close as Shelvey's miss.

So sorry to be pedantic...... But not technically on target!

They either were or were not on target

They may have been better shots than some of the Southampton efforts but there is nothing misleading about the fact that as they were not on target they could never have been goals (technical or not) even with an open goal.

We actually had 6 shots - but only the goal was on target

Yep... I got my words tangled up and couldn't be bothered to edit it.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:26 - Feb 2 with 1032 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:25 - Feb 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Yesterday was a backs to the wall situation for Monk and the whole squad due to the suspension and injury list and losing Bony, but instead of folding there was a deep resolve not to lose the game.

A lot of hard work was done by the entire team and not only did they achieve the main objective, they won the game after withstanding Southampton's first half onslaught. Yes we may have ridden our luck a little and our ball retention at times was worrying but nevertheless the team dug in and secured us a massive 3 points, arguably a better result than the away win at untied due to our form during January as well as the aforementioned absences.

A lot has been made of Dyer's form but yesterday in the second half he forced turnovers in possession that relieved the pressure that Southampton were trying to build on us. For that he deserves massive credit. Our passing game is definitely off the boil but during the second half we certainly seemed to gain confidence and on quite a few occasions passed the ball well on the break. Bafetimbi Gomis played a big part in that with some great movement and availability as the focal point of our attack.

Jonjo Shelvey, after a few games where he seemed to have his head down and looked to be lacking in confidence put in a massive performance yesterday and revelled in the added responsibility in being the senior midfielder, even though he's only young himself. A more mature performance I don't think I've seen from him and that will give him a massive confidence boost for the remainder of the season. Fulton and Carroll followed the JJS example and performed admirably against a far more experienced midfield unit.

Barrow is proving himself to be a very capable outlet for us when we need it and our defence and goalkeeper were solid under pressure, Williams' two goal line blocks summing up a never surrender spirit.

All in all a day for our supporters to be justifiably proud of a great result and a welcome improvement in our performance level than of late.

Great post.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:27 - Feb 2 with 1029 viewsjackonicko

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:18 - Feb 2 by exiledclaseboy

What a fine, reasonable and balanced post. Are you sure you're a Tory?

Apart from the bit about the gnashing of teeth (you've seen the reaction on here because we didn't win in the "right" way, imagine the carnage if we had actually lost the game) I agree with all of it.

We turned up and stole 3 points when noone was looking.

Fine Tory principles -- so of course I support them :)
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:31 - Feb 2 with 1012 viewsPrivate_Partz

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 19:54 - Feb 2 by Parlay

How is it misleading though? If we had chance after chance and fluffed them then i would take your point. We didnt create ANY clear cut chances. None. The whole match.

We had two thirty yard efforts and a half chance for Gomis who would not be expected to score. Thats it.

I think ECB's point is pertinent. If that 30 yarder was saved and Ward Prowses shot wasnt magnificently saved then i dont think we would see one post hailing the tactical masterclass served up and indeed stated the poor almost anti swansea tactics deployed.... Yet the tactics would have been the same as the ones we are currently discussing.

Well the way I look at it a shot on target could be an extremely poor effort and it is gathered by the keeper. It still goes down on the stats as a shot on target. If you look at the Bafi effort he was only a shoe leathers width from connecting correctly and scoring as the keeper was nowhere. Similarly if Taylor had been alive to the situation he could have shot a goal without taking a touch and a score would have been very possible. Neither of these go on the stat book even though both could have given us a 0-3 win. Conversely if Fab had not saved the majority of his shots I would have been very disappointed. Our two rows of four generally restricted them shots to outside the box or lumping it forward.
It was not pretty but it was pretty effective. :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:32 - Feb 2 with 1006 viewsJokeren1943

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:13 - Feb 2 by jackonicko

Beside a win against Tranmere

Swansea has since the 26 of december.

3 defeats (Chelsea, Blackburn and Liverpool) and 2 draws (West Ham and QPR).

Please stop with the masterplan talk.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 20:33]
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:35 - Feb 2 with 993 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:26 - Feb 2 by Darran

Great post.

I'm wondering if Brynnie has a flat mate who uses his planetswans account when he's out.
That's the only explanation I have.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:37 - Feb 2 with 986 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:35 - Feb 2 by Starsky

I'm wondering if Brynnie has a flat mate who uses his planetswans account when he's out.
That's the only explanation I have.

He's a top fella is Brynnie but there's no doubt he's been a bit strange these last few months.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:40 - Feb 2 with 981 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:32 - Feb 2 by Jokeren1943

Very conveniently left out the win against Villa on the 26th December and the win at Hull the week before.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:42 - Feb 2 with 978 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:37 - Feb 2 by Darran

He's a top fella is Brynnie but there's no doubt he's been a bit strange these last few months.

I like the Brynnie who's on line tonight.
The other one impersonating him is a right c@nt

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:44 - Feb 2 with 974 viewsAngelRangelQS

14 points from our last 10 league games
What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:45 - Feb 2 with 973 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:42 - Feb 2 by Starsky

I like the Brynnie who's on line tonight.
The other one impersonating him is a right c@nt

He's not as nice as his brother though.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:47 - Feb 2 with 969 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 13:20 - Feb 2 by C_jack

In the stadium, that was tough to watch and to a man/woman the majority thought that we were awful in the first half. The atmosphere in the away end resembled that, deathly quiet with very little to sing, chant or even applaud.

How the general opinion can differ so differently with those who watched it on the box is strange, but interesting.

I don't know why, but there's a straight jacket on the team at the moment. We're not scrapping for points or the like so why don't we just go out and play? We're good enough to do that from the start of games, and its so frustrating watching players play within themselves, going against their instinct and skills.

We're nice and cwtch in the table without any chance of going up or down many places, I would be pigging chuffed if Garry just took the chains off from now on and let the players express themselves.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 13:24]

An excellent post. There's no doubt that some parts of the first half were best viewed with hands covering the eyes but the second half performance was a stark improvement.

As for taking the chains off , when we reach 37-40 points with nothing to lose I'm sure he will.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:50 - Feb 2 with 964 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

A bit of tabloid skewing of facts there.

It's been a tough period for us when you take the season a whole, but, we've played 6 games in 2015

W2
D2
L2 (against the league leaders and a cup game where we were down to 10 men afer 5 mins)

Hardly a total disaster. I like the way you take it 'since the 26th December' as we beat Villa on that day - a second consecutive victory after beating Hull on the 20th. So, hey, let's take our synopsis from the 20th Dec if we're choosing arbitrary dates.

W4
D2
L3

If you're trying to tap into discontent with Monk, a simple look at win/loss stats isn't the place to start - we've got 33 points by the start of Feb FFS.

Where a lot of the concern is - and I admit it does have a whiff of 'first world problems' about it - but I still have sympathy with it - is with the way we play, the wilful abandonment of our possession game and the sense we're just becoming one of the generic middling pack in the league without an identity or anything that sets us apart - with the danger being that when we don't have anything to separate us from 'yer Villas and yer Sunderlands'...that we eventually won't be able to compete with bigger clubs like that going head to head (financially, mainly). What's our edge going to be to keep us ahead of the curve? KOL coaching the players?;)

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:59 - Feb 2 with 941 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:26 - Feb 2 by Darran

Great post.

Not bad for a "thickie" eh? Tw*t

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 21:01 - Feb 2 with 938 viewsStarsky

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 20:59 - Feb 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Not bad for a "thickie" eh? Tw*t

Ah, you're back.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 21:06 - Feb 2 with 930 viewsDarran

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 21:01 - Feb 2 by Starsky

Ah, you're back.

It's like that BT Infinity advert where different people are running in and out of Brynnies bedsit.

What has Monk & Co done to us??? on 21:08 - Feb 2 with 919 viewsperchrockjack

Always thought bryn was ok but things happen.

At heart ,I'd suggest hecs a decent soul

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024