Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Done and the playoffs 11:35 - Feb 3 with 4156 viewsBazzanne

A lot has been said about Done's leaving and the playoffs. I am not convinced that is a legitimate reason to hold back a player with a chance to better himself.

Let's say we secure a playoff berth ....... Wonderful
Let's say we win the playoffs........Superb
Then what?

With attendances at Rochdale we certainly couldn't pay our way in the Championship. The fans would then have another whinge. I have supported Dale since 1948 and it has always been a struggle for the club. The supporters reading this don't deserve what happens at the club sometimes, but the lack of support in the town and the apathy of of the townspeople combined with the TV supporters of the bigger clubs who would rather sit in the pub with a pint means we aren't in a position to challenge the other clubs in wages nor to be truthful in promotions.

We are what we are, enjoy a brilliant season but don't get delusions of grandeur.
Done and the playoffs on 11:47 - Feb 3 with 4100 viewsJimmyRustler

There's a difference between delusions of grandeur and wanting to better and push ourselves. The 'this is our level' attitude is what always plagued us before KH came in and changed the whole thinking and ethos of the club. It's like when people used to say we purposely bottled promotion because we couldn't afford to go up. Another load of tosh.
Done and the playoffs on 11:56 - Feb 3 with 4044 viewsD_Alien

I guess we're divided on here between those who see Done's departure as throwing in the towel and those who see it as a means of strengthening the club and the potential to push on further.

Losing one player of championship standard to enable several others to be brought in (in due course) that raises the overall standard of our squad is exactly how I see it.

It's the old "glass half full / half empty" syndrome.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Done and the playoffs on 12:01 - Feb 3 with 4022 viewsBazzanne

I'm not saying don't push to improve but until attendances regularly improve significantly playing in the Championship is nothing but a dream. Believe me it's a dream I have had for many years and nothing would please me more. I don' t see it happening in my lifetime.
Done and the playoffs on 12:07 - Feb 3 with 3987 views49thseason

Done and the playoffs on 12:01 - Feb 3 by Bazzanne

I'm not saying don't push to improve but until attendances regularly improve significantly playing in the Championship is nothing but a dream. Believe me it's a dream I have had for many years and nothing would please me more. I don' t see it happening in my lifetime.

There was a time when I never thought we would get out of L2 again but we have now done it twice in quick(ish) succession.
I guess the Championship dream depends on how old you are!

There is a plan, it's working, but it needs time and patience not to mention careful management of expectations.
Done and the playoffs on 12:12 - Feb 3 with 3963 viewsDale1940

I have been a supporter since 1940 and have been used to seeing our best players transferred over the years, but I think this is a bit much for long suffering supporters to swallow, when we are told a week or so before ,that financially we dont need to sell and no one is leaving! Selling to a team one place above us doesnt give the impression that we have much ambition. Maybe if we get Jack O Connell on loan from Brentford it will reduce the depression!
Done and the playoffs on 20:52 - Feb 3 with 3692 viewsdingdangblue

Of course we could pay our way - the TV money alone (2.3 million) is an amount that would take us 7 seasons to make at our current league 1 level. That's an amount that the Board and Mr Dunphy can only dream about. Yes it would be tough and we would be competing with other teams with far more resources than us but isn't that what we are doing already this season to a lesser extent? As for attendances - there would be nearly half of our home fixtures with the away capacity sold out (Bolton,Wolves,Sheff Weds,Derby,Huddersfield,Leeds,Notts Forest,Blackburn,Burnley (if relegated). There should be no fear of succeeding if we have the manager and players to do something special. This chance may never come again?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Done and the playoffs on 21:41 - Feb 3 with 3600 viewsDiddyDave

Some good views on this; I`ve always maintained that there`s no way Dale could pay their way in the Championship on the pathetic crowds they always get, but as has been pointed out, TV money would be massive and playing teams with big followings would ensure full house signs going up on quite a few occasions. Paying out big wages has seen the demise of many a club with stars in their eyes, but surely there`s no way Chris Dunphy would ever put the club at risk of going bust on that aspect, so I`m starting to look at things a bit differently now. But just mentioning the Championship shows how far Dale have come in the last few years, KH has always been a bloke who thinks into next season and beyond, so I wouldn`t stress too much at Done`s departure, Rochdale AFC are in good hands.
Done and the playoffs on 21:55 - Feb 3 with 3542 viewsKenBoon

Progress scares some people. Some people are only interested in existing within the Football League. I remember way back before Hilly, someone posted on here that they didn't care about ever going up so long as we were a league club and they had their regular pre-match boozers and pie. To anyone who feels like that I encourage them to try and get a pint from The Church Inn on Saturday. Ambition is not a dirty word. Promotion doesn't equal financial disaster. Nobody can force you to break yourselves. Look even Captain SENSIBLE talks about needing dreams.

Login to get fewer ads

Done and the playoffs on 22:23 - Feb 3 with 3463 viewsRosun

IF (and that's a big if) we do get promoted to the Championship (think Bournemouth & Rotherham ... When you think of these clubs I instinctively think of Eddie Howe and Steve Evans, most opposition fans think Rochdale & Keith Hill go together like gin & tonic or pale dale & counting numbers), then there's the requirement to go all seater at San Spotty. That's going to knock off a few thousand from the stadium capacity.
Options?
I'm no architect but a new Sandy Lane stand? Fill in the Pearl St corners?
The Sandy Lane new stand option might pay for itself in terms of lost balls if George D. was still here.
Done and the playoffs on 22:50 - Feb 3 with 3403 viewsRotherhamDale

If the aim isn't to compete at the highest level possible, then what's the point in having a football
club?

I don't understand this thought that we couldn't afford to compete in the championship. We all trust Hill not to splash the cash and go mad with transfers, so what would be stopping us? Even if we used our current £0 squad, we'd still compete. We might get relegated but we wouldn't get hammered.
If we seriously couldn't afford it, then there's no point even bothering.

Possession with progression.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024