Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinez on Saturday ..... 23:03 - Sep 17 with 8860 viewsswansvalleyjack

I honestly think Martinez does not deserve the vitriol from some on this Forum and elsewhere. And I hope that is not the case on Saturday.

As regards Flynn and Jackett, I have nothing but thanks for them in setting us on our way. But let’s be honest — it was Martinez who changed the whole ethos and culture of the Club into what we are today. Does anyone really believe that we would be where we are now without his vision and style of play. (Do we also all remember the long balls to Rory Fallon pre Martinez ! )

And I am not taking anything away from Huw Jenkins and the Board who saved us in the first place, and who had the foresight to appoint Martinez ..…nor am I taking anything from the later Managers (shrewdly appointed by the Board) who have tweaked and cleverly built on Martinez’ ethos.

But that fundamental shift introduced by Martinez has been absolutely crucial to our success.

The vitriol against Martinez is primarily based on his words that he would only go “if forced out”. And in hindsight from his point of view - those were unwise words. But he also had said that while the Board made a very brave decision to give him the job at 33, then as long as “both have the same ambition” it won't be a problem (ie should other clubs come knocking).

This second comment by him is often conveniently missed by critics. As Wales on Line recently reminded us - Martinez had wanted to build on the first season in the Championship and had eyed two midfielders at Hamilton as potential signings. James McCarthy was available for £2m and James McArthur for slightly less but it appeared Swansea couldn't quite stretch themselves to a deal, also unable to turn the loan deal for Jordi Gomez into a permanent one. It planted seeds of doubt in Martinez (about the Club’s ambition). That - plus the lure of his first club Wigan (playing in the Premier League) — was the tipping point.

Now, I am not going to criticise the Board either for that apparent “lack of ambition” at that time — they have been rightly cautious in always looking after the Club’s finances. And maybe things at that moment were moving too fast for a crack at the Premier League - Martinez has previously alluded to this also.

So I won’t be heaping abuse on him when he returns on Saturday. Equally with the passage of time, I won’t be clapping him either — he is after all simply an Opposition Manager now. And though I was gutted at the time when Martinez left, I reflected - after the period of mourning, and looking objectively at Martinez’ reasons - that it’s only us fans who have long term loyalty to their club ; players and managers always move on, one way or another. It’s the simple reality of football life.

But as my Team walks out against Everton in the most exciting League in the world on Saturday , I for one will give a silent and sincere appreciation to Martinez for his absolutely fundamental contribution in getting us there. Thanks Roberto - though I really hope we finally stuff your Club in a League match !!
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:50 - Sep 18 with 1342 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:48 - Sep 18 by pencoedjack

Did we not move to the Liberty when El grease-ball was in charge ?

No
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:52 - Sep 18 with 1335 viewswaynekerr55

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:15 - Sep 18 by Darran

Let's not forget that Martinez invented passing.

And Swansea City, apparently.

I want someone to tell me why Sousa has been airbrushed out of our history too.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:58 - Sep 18 with 1326 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:52 - Sep 18 by waynekerr55

In JTAK you mean? Does seem odd.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 19:06 - Sep 18 with 1321 viewsshandyjack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:58 - Sep 18 by jack247

Because JTAK was sh** would be my answer

Poll: Expectation for the season

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 19:37 - Sep 18 with 1297 viewssherpajacob

I won't comment on his time and leaving as manager.

He will get my respect on Saturday as an ex player who captained us to victory against hull in 2003. He was my man of the match that day.

James Thomas rightly gets a lot of attention, but two players martinez and o leary IMHO were head and shoulders above the rest.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:12 - Sep 18 with 1278 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 19:37 - Sep 18 by sherpajacob

I won't comment on his time and leaving as manager.

He will get my respect on Saturday as an ex player who captained us to victory against hull in 2003. He was my man of the match that day.

James Thomas rightly gets a lot of attention, but two players martinez and o leary IMHO were head and shoulders above the rest.

It wasn't just that game. We would have been down a month before if he hadn't come in when he did (along with Leon and Tate who were also key).

He soured all that with the way he left us, but he did achieve a ot for us as a player and a manager.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:14 - Sep 18 with 1275 viewsDarran

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:12 - Sep 18 by jack247

It wasn't just that game. We would have been down a month before if he hadn't come in when he did (along with Leon and Tate who were also key).

He soured all that with the way he left us, but he did achieve a ot for us as a player and a manager.

The only reason we weren't safe a month before was because of the prick of a manager that didn't give a shit.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:19 - Sep 18 with 1268 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:14 - Sep 18 by Darran

The only reason we weren't safe a month before was because of the prick of a manager that didn't give a shit.

Polarising figure. Agree he wasn't our most committed manager and he presided over one of the worst seasons in our history. Wasn't my favourite either.

He did bring Trundle, Robinson, Martinez, Britton and Tate to the club though. Pretty impressive on a shoestring.
Login to get fewer ads

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:11 - Sep 18 with 1233 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:43 - Sep 18 by waynekerr55

What's your thoughts then Warwick?

A family member much like a certain foliage like poster for another?

That second sentence - you've spent too much time corresponding with the the Heswall Hitler

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:28 - Sep 18 with 1221 viewsBrynmill_Jack

To the OP - he did the dirty on us and (rather hilariously so) on Wigan.
I was upset when he left but subsequent seasons have canccelled all that bad feeling out. Perhaps had he stayed we may still be in the Championship. Everything happens for a reason and I'm completely indifferent to him now. Would like to see Garry and the boys make him suffer tomorrow though if I'm honest! 3 points please

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:31 - Sep 18 with 1216 viewsDarran

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:28 - Sep 18 by Brynmill_Jack

To the OP - he did the dirty on us and (rather hilariously so) on Wigan.
I was upset when he left but subsequent seasons have canccelled all that bad feeling out. Perhaps had he stayed we may still be in the Championship. Everything happens for a reason and I'm completely indifferent to him now. Would like to see Garry and the boys make him suffer tomorrow though if I'm honest! 3 points please

Aye you do tend to change your mind a bit.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:55 - Sep 18 with 1192 viewstomdickharry

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:52 - Sep 18 by waynekerr55

Can give you the answer to that without any problem, he fell out with those in the corridors of powers at our club or vice versa.Lucky Leicester came for him or he would have cost us a fortune to pay off.
Did better than Judas1 in the Championship.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:01 - Sep 18 with 1187 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:55 - Sep 18 by tomdickharry

Can give you the answer to that without any problem, he fell out with those in the corridors of powers at our club or vice versa.Lucky Leicester came for him or he would have cost us a fortune to pay off.
Did better than Judas1 in the Championship.

What, you mean the second season after Martinez had established us, I just love the revisionism with some of our so called fans, yes you tdh

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:11 - Sep 18 with 1174 viewsDr_Winston

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:01 - Sep 18 by raynor94

What, you mean the second season after Martinez had established us, I just love the revisionism with some of our so called fans, yes you tdh

Finished in a better league position than Martinez managed despite having to rebuild a club shorn of its top two goalscorers and much of the coaching staff.

Martinez managed one promotion out of the third division. He wasn't the first Swans manager to do so, but hopefully he'll be the last. The way some people carry on you'd swear his achievements were on a par with Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:19 - Sep 18 with 1160 viewssully49

What would be our view be if he is ever considered for being put onto the wall of fame?

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:20 - Sep 18 with 1158 viewssherpajacob

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 20:14 - Sep 18 by Darran

We were anchored to the foot of the football league with a team of players that wouldn't have survived in the conference when flynn took over.

He brought in tate, britton and martinez who kept us up.

The board got rid of flynn at the right time, but with cusack we were going down and who else would have wanted the job.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:28 - Sep 18 with 1146 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:11 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

Finished in a better league position than Martinez managed despite having to rebuild a club shorn of its top two goalscorers and much of the coaching staff.

Martinez managed one promotion out of the third division. He wasn't the first Swans manager to do so, but hopefully he'll be the last. The way some people carry on you'd swear his achievements were on a par with Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk.

So apart from tosh who else managed it? the way you are going on it was a nothing achievement, strange in my fifty years of following this club we have done it twice, yes he turned out to be a double header, but don't lets rubbish what he did for our club

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:28 - Sep 18 with 1146 viewswaynekerr55

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:58 - Sep 18 by jack247

Full stop.

Then again, there were plenty of scenes created for our entertainment in the film.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:30 - Sep 18 with 1140 viewswaynekerr55

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 21:11 - Sep 18 by Brynmill_Jack

That second sentence - you've spent too much time corresponding with the the Heswall Hitler

Apologies.

The syntax is abysmal.

What I meant to point out was that there is a certain poster, whose username has a tedious link to foliage likes to post whenever accusations are leveled at a certain person.

I'm sure WARWICK knows what I mean

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:31 - Sep 18 with 1137 viewswaynekerr55

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:11 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

That must be due to the fact that he invented passing, mun!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:34 - Sep 18 with 1135 viewssherpajacob

Martinez showed the same loyalty to us that we showed to flynn, jacket and Laudrup.

Who between them, , kept us up, took us up and won us a trophy.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:37 - Sep 18 with 1131 viewsDr_Winston

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:28 - Sep 18 by raynor94

So apart from tosh who else managed it? the way you are going on it was a nothing achievement, strange in my fifty years of following this club we have done it twice, yes he turned out to be a double header, but don't lets rubbish what he did for our club

How many Swans managers have managed to get the club promoted out of division three? Quite a few if memory serves.

They weren't all as good at self-promotion as Martinez though.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:39 - Sep 18 with 1127 viewsChrisSCFC

Well done Bob for leading the best ran and third biggest club in League 1 to promotion that season, more remarkable than Jesus turning water into wine.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:40 - Sep 18 with 1124 viewsDarran

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:39 - Sep 18 by ChrisSCFC

Well done Bob for leading the best ran and third biggest club in League 1 to promotion that season, more remarkable than Jesus turning water into wine.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:45 - Sep 18 with 1112 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:37 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

How many Swans managers have managed to get the club promoted out of division three? Quite a few if memory serves.

They weren't all as good at self-promotion as Martinez though.

In your lifetime?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024