Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whisky Drinkers? 11:28 - Nov 12 with 13437 viewsToast_R

Not much of a whisky drinker myself as I tend not to drink spirit too often, more of a beer man.
However, last August at my sons christening drinks, I got to try a drop of the father in laws Glenfiddich 21 gran reserva which he keeps hidden away for special occasions. I've always been in the "Wouldn't know a cheap one from an expensive one" camp when it comes to wines and spirits etc but on that particular occasion, the quality was blatant. Went down like pure velvet, no rough finish prompting you to reach for the nearest mixer, really really good stuff.

Anyway, I want to get my dad a bottle for Christmas. Like me he prefers beer or cider but he does like the odd short now and again and as he's getting on a bit these days, I'd like to treat him to something he'd actually use as I'm done with the gadgets that get thrown in a cupboard collecting dust for years (Sat Nav, Digital photo frame, External Hard Drive, Complete collection of World at War on DVD to name but a few), but having looked around online, it's f*cking expensive and a little out my budget this year.

So, anyone here like their whisky and could possibly recommend a good 18 to 21 year old bottle, no more then £100 notes?

Your time is much appreciated.

Toast_r

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:33 - Nov 12 with 6235 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Jack Daniels Silver Select is rather pleasing. If he likes Tenessee Sour mash.

The closest thing to what cowboys drank so they told me when there.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:36 - Nov 12 with 6223 viewsDWQPR

I love my whiskies and would recommend a visit to here:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

I usually pop into the one at Southwark for a look round and there is one whisky that I make sure that I never run out of is a Bruichladdich (Brookladdie is how it is pronounced).

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-40-Bruichladdich.aspx

Tend to go for the 22 year. Over a ton but it is well worth it.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:43 - Nov 12 with 6198 viewsMick_S

This may also help.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:43 - Nov 12 with 6195 viewsaston_hoop

I fail to see how anyone could not enjoy this

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10193.aspx

As an aside, one of the best value Whiskies I ever bought was a bottle of Japanese stuff, Yamazaki 12 year old while in Tokyo. It was superb for the price which was approx £30.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:51 - Nov 12 with 6172 viewsNeil_SI

I don't know anything about whisky or bourbon, but I do enjoy an Eagle Rare 10 once in a while, which is about a third of the price of your budget.

It's American, and I've had it in Bodeans, but you can pick up a bottle from Amazon.
Whisky Drinkers? on 12:02 - Nov 12 with 6151 viewskingsburyR

I like the odd tipple of Ardbeg 10 - approx £40.00.

Not as smooth as a Highland Park but my particular fav!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Whisky Drinkers? on 12:09 - Nov 12 with 6136 viewswhittocksRs

Go for Scottish highland whiskys if you want a similar drinking experience to the Glenfiddich reserve. They're all pretty beautiful.
Whisky Drinkers? on 12:16 - Nov 12 with 6126 viewsRBlock

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:51 - Nov 12 by Neil_SI

I don't know anything about whisky or bourbon, but I do enjoy an Eagle Rare 10 once in a while, which is about a third of the price of your budget.

It's American, and I've had it in Bodeans, but you can pick up a bottle from Amazon.

I prefer a Bourbon as well. Usually go for a Woodford Reserve, but the Wild Turkey 101 is class.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2015 12:44]
Login to get fewer ads

Whisky Drinkers? on 12:23 - Nov 12 with 6110 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Whisky Drinkers? on 12:16 - Nov 12 by RBlock

I prefer a Bourbon as well. Usually go for a Woodford Reserve, but the Wild Turkey 101 is class.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2015 12:44]

Ah yes wild Turkey is very tasty.

Whisky Drinkers? on 12:41 - Nov 12 with 6088 viewsjohann28

There's nothing much that beats Macallan Gold. Deliciously smooth with a lingering sweetish malty aftertaste; and at around £40 is a real bargain.
Whisky Drinkers? on 12:58 - Nov 12 with 6056 viewsvblockranger

Irish Whisky for me and Jameson's Crested Ten is a particular favorite..

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2854.aspx
Whisky Drinkers? on 13:17 - Nov 12 with 6021 viewsrobith

I'm in Irish whiskey man, and it's a great time as there's loads of new distilleries coming to market over the next few years after a big investment.

Dingle will be one to watch - they've been making gin to fund the whiskey and it's a 1.

I had some Teeling last time I was over, not massively my cup of tea, but some of the most interesting whiskey flavours I've ever tasted.

Redbreast either 12 or 21 or both fiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Yellow Spot is one of the finest out there too.

In terms of Scottish - Macallan is the best but always costs a fortune. I had the 30 year old once - £30 a glass. As a solid option Balveenie 12 year old double wood - woof woof
Whisky Drinkers? on 13:21 - Nov 12 with 6013 viewsToast_R

Thanks for all your input.

I'm thinking Chivas Regal 18 Year old, anyone had this?

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-449.aspx
Whisky Drinkers? on 13:22 - Nov 12 with 6012 viewsolderR

Try these people.

If you live around London I would recommend taking your Dad to a whisky tasting session. My son took me last year and it is really interesting. Learnt a lot about whisky.

You can buy online if you just want to take a gamble on spending a lot on something he may not like.
Whisky Drinkers? on 14:06 - Nov 12 with 5978 viewstimcocking

Whisky Drinkers? on 11:33 - Nov 12 by Metallica_Hoop

Jack Daniels Silver Select is rather pleasing. If he likes Tenessee Sour mash.

The closest thing to what cowboys drank so they told me when there.

Jack Daniels? A quality whiskey? You taking the p!ss, or what?
Whisky Drinkers? on 14:22 - Nov 12 with 5965 viewsBrightonhoop

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:06 - Nov 12 by timcocking

Try the Whilskey shop on Old Compton Street, in Soho, next to the saucy knicker shop, sound advice, try before you buy and for £100 you could get 2 possibly 3 absolute gems. Got my dad a bottle there for his retirement about 20 years ago, so been trading for decades and properly know their whiskys.
Whisky Drinkers? on 14:35 - Nov 12 with 5952 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:06 - Nov 12 by timcocking

Have you tried this one? Hmmm

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:41 - Nov 12 with 5942 viewsRBlock

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:22 - Nov 12 by Brightonhoop

Try the Whilskey shop on Old Compton Street, in Soho, next to the saucy knicker shop, sound advice, try before you buy and for £100 you could get 2 possibly 3 absolute gems. Got my dad a bottle there for his retirement about 20 years ago, so been trading for decades and properly know their whiskys.

Ye the Whiskey Shop is a good shout. Go there on a Friday/ Saturday evening and there is a lovely little bar beneath called The Vault.
Whisky Drinkers? on 14:43 - Nov 12 with 5937 viewspaesanu

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but can one of you experts see if you can help me out.

Last year my wife went on a trip to Scotland and brought back as a gift these miniature bottles of whisky. Just a shot's worth but anyway, to this day one of them sticks out.

The only way I can describe it is barbecue / smoky! I appreciate that doesn't sound appealing, but honestly it was just gorgeous.

To this day I regret not keeping hold of the label. Even if you gave me a name it probably wouldn't ring any bells.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:44 - Nov 12 with 5935 viewsitsbiga

This gear is top drawer https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-22264.aspx
One of the oldest distilleries up there too.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:47 - Nov 12 with 5930 viewsaston_hoop

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:43 - Nov 12 by paesanu

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but can one of you experts see if you can help me out.

Last year my wife went on a trip to Scotland and brought back as a gift these miniature bottles of whisky. Just a shot's worth but anyway, to this day one of them sticks out.

The only way I can describe it is barbecue / smoky! I appreciate that doesn't sound appealing, but honestly it was just gorgeous.

To this day I regret not keeping hold of the label. Even if you gave me a name it probably wouldn't ring any bells.

Could it be one of the Juras?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:53 - Nov 12 with 5916 viewsTheChef

Bells?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:53 - Nov 12 with 5915 viewspaesanu

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:47 - Nov 12 by aston_hoop

Could it be one of the Juras?

Definitely wasn't Jura, it had a more Scottishy / Irishy name than that.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:54 - Nov 12 with 5910 viewsTheChef

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:53 - Nov 12 by paesanu

Definitely wasn't Jura, it had a more Scottishy / Irishy name than that.

Laophraig?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Whisky Drinkers? on 14:56 - Nov 12 with 5907 viewsMick_S

It may have been Lagavulin. Many of the pubs/bars in Northern Ireland and quite possibly Scotland have a kind of four brand whisky shelf, so there's a fair chance it may have been one of these.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2015 7:27]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024