Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey 23:22 - Jan 2 with 7460 viewsdazdec197296

Has he been dropped from the squad after his last performance or is he injured ?
Shelvey on 11:25 - Jan 3 with 1896 viewsIslander

Shelvey on 11:01 - Jan 3 by jack247

I'm not believing the hype. I'm watching the games and making my own mind up. Jonjo can play passes that no one else in our squad can even see.

Not saying I would rather him in the team to Gylfi or I don't think we should cash in, but he has more talent than anyone IMO. Don't confuse talent with work ethic. Gylfi makes the most of his ability, Jonio often doesn't.

Football "Talent" - includes mental ability, dexterity, application etc etc.

JJS' Talent falls way short of the type of Talent we need
Shelvey on 11:39 - Jan 3 with 1841 viewspencoedjack

Shelvey on 11:01 - Jan 3 by jack247

I'm not believing the hype. I'm watching the games and making my own mind up. Jonjo can play passes that no one else in our squad can even see.

Not saying I would rather him in the team to Gylfi or I don't think we should cash in, but he has more talent than anyone IMO. Don't confuse talent with work ethic. Gylfi makes the most of his ability, Jonio often doesn't.

I'm not confused butt I think you are.

JJS is no where near a more talented footballer than Gylfi and work ethic has Fuk all to do with it
Shelvey on 11:51 - Jan 3 with 1810 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 11:39 - Jan 3 by pencoedjack

I'm not confused butt I think you are.

JJS is no where near a more talented footballer than Gylfi and work ethic has Fuk all to do with it

As I said in another thread. Gylfi doesn't play the type of defence splitting through balls that put Gomis through on goal. If he is ever going to score it is going to be off the back of one of those and Jonjo is the only player we have capable of playing them with any regularity.

I'm not saying he is a better player, or more useful to the team, I am saying he has more natural talent.
Shelvey on 11:52 - Jan 3 with 1803 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 11:25 - Jan 3 by Islander

Football "Talent" - includes mental ability, dexterity, application etc etc.

JJS' Talent falls way short of the type of Talent we need

No it doesn't. Those things, along with talent make up a footballer.
Shelvey on 11:53 - Jan 3 with 1800 viewsicecoldjack

Shelvey on 10:40 - Jan 3 by Rancid

Hit a volley from the half way line into the roof of the net.

Fluke goal . How many times does has he done it since ?

How many times do his corners and free kicks go into nowhere?

I scored from the half way line once but would not class myself as better than siggy because of it !
Shelvey on 11:56 - Jan 3 with 1784 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 11:53 - Jan 3 by icecoldjack

I scored from the half way line once but would not class myself as better than siggy because of it !

Not better than Siggy, more talented. As a complete package, Gylfi is miles ahead.
Shelvey on 11:58 - Jan 3 with 1771 viewsDrGonzo

A fluke would suggest he didn't mean it?
Shelvey on 12:01 - Jan 3 with 1752 viewsWxmJax

JJS's goal against Villa was NOT from the half way line, neither was it a volley either. It was 40 to 45 yds out, he chested it, ball bounced up off pitch and he hit it sublimely. Tremendous goal but not a volley from the half way line.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey on 12:09 - Jan 3 with 1713 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Shelvey on 11:51 - Jan 3 by jack247

As I said in another thread. Gylfi doesn't play the type of defence splitting through balls that put Gomis through on goal. If he is ever going to score it is going to be off the back of one of those and Jonjo is the only player we have capable of playing them with any regularity.

I'm not saying he is a better player, or more useful to the team, I am saying he has more natural talent.

Gylfi is more than capable of those passes - he was doing it for fun in his first spell for us under Rodgers. The pass to put Graham through for the winner against Arsenal is as good as anything Shelvey can do.

He was also doing it regularly with Bony. Those two had a great understanding.

It's hard to really pin down the reason why he's not been doing it much this season as Gomis would certainly benefit from him doing so. As has been pointed out elsewhere, Gylfi seems to spend most of his time running himself into the ground rather than making sure he's available to receive the ball in dangerous areas. There'll be more to it than that though...

It'd help if we had a manager in place to work on this - and other - aspects of our attacking play as the whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment....
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 12:10]

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Shelvey on 12:16 - Jan 3 with 1678 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 12:09 - Jan 3 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Gylfi is more than capable of those passes - he was doing it for fun in his first spell for us under Rodgers. The pass to put Graham through for the winner against Arsenal is as good as anything Shelvey can do.

He was also doing it regularly with Bony. Those two had a great understanding.

It's hard to really pin down the reason why he's not been doing it much this season as Gomis would certainly benefit from him doing so. As has been pointed out elsewhere, Gylfi seems to spend most of his time running himself into the ground rather than making sure he's available to receive the ball in dangerous areas. There'll be more to it than that though...

It'd help if we had a manager in place to work on this - and other - aspects of our attacking play as the whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment....
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 12:10]

That's because Gylfi and Gomis have not been able to strike up a partnership. Gylfi is probably the best we have at playing clever little flicks around the edge of the area, he just needs the right partner. What he can't do, is play a 40 yard through ball and create a one on one out of nothing.
Shelvey on 12:18 - Jan 3 with 1668 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 12:01 - Jan 3 by WxmJax

JJS's goal against Villa was NOT from the half way line, neither was it a volley either. It was 40 to 45 yds out, he chested it, ball bounced up off pitch and he hit it sublimely. Tremendous goal but not a volley from the half way line.

Fair enough, I've just watched it back and it was from just inside the centre circle. He controlled the clearance on his chest, let it bounce once and hit it on the volley.
Shelvey on 12:35 - Jan 3 with 1629 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Shelvey on 12:16 - Jan 3 by jack247

That's because Gylfi and Gomis have not been able to strike up a partnership. Gylfi is probably the best we have at playing clever little flicks around the edge of the area, he just needs the right partner. What he can't do, is play a 40 yard through ball and create a one on one out of nothing.

I wouldn't go as far to say he can't, but he's always played further forward so he's never in those positions on the pitch to do so. It's more a matter of positioning, not ability.

I do agree it's a more natural part of Jonjo's game though (both positionally and ability) and he's the best we have at playing balls over the top for players to run onto. Take him out of the midfield and creativity drops markedly. Cork and Leon offer nothing in that way, so we're left with Williams occasionally spraying diagonal balls out to our non-existent wingers...

Ideally we'd keep Jonjo and try and get his read right - at least until the end of the season as we need his creativity. Again, we need a f*cking manager in place to sort all this out....

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Shelvey on 12:44 - Jan 3 with 1591 viewsWingstandwood

A player with "all-the-talent-in-the-world" is next to f#cking useless when he can only be bothered to 'do-it' 4-5 games a season? Is (vastly!) more an hindrance than a help?

Argus!

Shelvey on 12:50 - Jan 3 with 1564 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 12:44 - Jan 3 by Wingstandwood

A player with "all-the-talent-in-the-world" is next to f#cking useless when he can only be bothered to 'do-it' 4-5 games a season? Is (vastly!) more an hindrance than a help?

Not arguing that point. I still much prefer Gylfi overall.
Balotelli, Collymore, Berbatov, arguably even Zlatan had all the talent in the world, but didn't quite have the right attitude/work ethic. Not on the same level, but I would put Jonjo into that category of player.
Shelvey on 12:57 - Jan 3 with 1537 viewsjamieswan78

For me Gylfi is the better player and I would pick him over JJS every time.

JJS can do some really good things, he's one of those players who looks good in a 1 minute YouTube best bits clip, but during a game, he makes poor decisions, messes up simple passes and gives the ball away far to easy and to often.
I'm not sure what's true and what's not but you also hear stories/rumours about his private life, if we can get anywhere near 10 million for him I would take it and invest in a forward.
Shelvey on 13:04 - Jan 3 with 1469 viewsharryhpalmer

the problem for us is he does offer a genuine goal threat, of which we have few. so the question is, if he stays, how do we incorporate him into the team structure.

If he is to be sold, or loaned out, it must not be to anyone in the lower half of the table. So he goes to Palace or West Ham. Not to Newcastle, WBA, Sunderland or Norwich.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

Shelvey on 13:42 - Jan 3 with 1364 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey on 12:57 - Jan 3 by jamieswan78

For me Gylfi is the better player and I would pick him over JJS every time.

JJS can do some really good things, he's one of those players who looks good in a 1 minute YouTube best bits clip, but during a game, he makes poor decisions, messes up simple passes and gives the ball away far to easy and to often.
I'm not sure what's true and what's not but you also hear stories/rumours about his private life, if we can get anywhere near 10 million for him I would take it and invest in a forward.

It's not just the extraordinary but bread and butter stiff like corners where Gylfi outshines JJS.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Shelvey on 13:48 - Jan 3 with 1345 viewssammylee3

Shelvey is one of our best and should be playing, he should of played yesterday he hates United and scored a blinder against them last time out.

Our most talented player not in squad go figure
Shelvey on 13:48 - Jan 3 with 1344 viewsRancid

I didn't say he was better that Siggy???
Shelvey on 14:27 - Jan 3 with 1273 viewspencoedjack

Shelvey on 13:48 - Jan 3 by sammylee3

Shelvey is one of our best and should be playing, he should of played yesterday he hates United and scored a blinder against them last time out.

Our most talented player not in squad go figure

He didn't score against Utd
Shelvey on 15:21 - Jan 3 with 1201 viewsymaohyd

Not that I'd wish to speculate on someone's private life, but I don't think all is well, given the character that he is will probably struggle to deal with it all.

Not making excuses for him, but if Curt could work with him etc he is such a talented player.

That said if a few deals were on the table allowing us to bring in a striker I'd sell him.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Shelvey on 15:28 - Jan 3 with 1185 viewsblaine_scfc

Shelvey on 15:21 - Jan 3 by ymaohyd

Not that I'd wish to speculate on someone's private life, but I don't think all is well, given the character that he is will probably struggle to deal with it all.

Not making excuses for him, but if Curt could work with him etc he is such a talented player.

That said if a few deals were on the table allowing us to bring in a striker I'd sell him.

Agree with that regarding his private life. Hopefully nothing but something doesn't seem right with him.

I wouldn't get rid of him for Bamford. No chance. Austin staying at QPR.
Shelvey on 15:38 - Jan 3 with 1175 viewsIslander

Shelvey on 11:52 - Jan 3 by jack247

No it doesn't. Those things, along with talent make up a footballer.

That's my point 247 - Talent by definition has to include mental talent - which is why JJS falls short. He is more suited to other types of teams (eg QPR/Palace/Cardiff) - that play a 'simpler' type of football
Shelvey on 15:56 - Jan 3 with 1143 viewsWxmJax

Shelvey on 12:18 - Jan 3 by jack247

Fair enough, I've just watched it back and it was from just inside the centre circle. He controlled the clearance on his chest, let it bounce once and hit it on the volley.

Erm, he hit a bouncing ball. Doesn't sound as good but as it bounced it's not a volley. Anyone for tennis ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Shelvey on 15:57 - Jan 3 with 1142 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 15:38 - Jan 3 by Islander

That's my point 247 - Talent by definition has to include mental talent - which is why JJS falls short. He is more suited to other types of teams (eg QPR/Palace/Cardiff) - that play a 'simpler' type of football

Maybe we are looking at the same thing a different way. I would define talent as natural ability, you are looking at is as more of an overall package. You get talented players who are more skilful than others, but lack the awareness, physical attributes, positional sense, dedication or whatever else.

I would class Shelvey as our most naturally gifted player. He trails Gylfi (and others) for attitude, fitness, dedication and concentration. And as an all round footballer IMO.

Agree that he is not suited to a short, sharp, high tempo style of play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024