Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack OC 16:49 - Jul 7 with 10433 viewssandy_dale

Will be seeing him at Spotland next season... In a Sheffield United shirt.
Jack OC on 21:24 - Jul 10 with 2880 viewsWhiteyBFC

Jack OC on 23:42 - Jul 8 by D_Dale

You might not be wrong about Dale having a hard time, given that the squad seems to have no players who can be relied on to score regularly.

But there looks to be enough mediocrity in L1 for a respectable final league position. Oldham's lack of players at this late stage has been mentioned on another thread. bury's off-field problems might impact on how the team performs (they might even be deducted points again). Port Vale's unusual choice of manager and his signings have also been referred to as not up to the job. And I doubt Page will be as successful at Northampton as Wilder was.

Chesterfield have lost their better players, and gambled on Ched Evans. Southend, Scunny and Shrewsbury might do better than last season, but it's not obvious why they should. Likewise, I don't see why fans of Fleetwood and Wimbledon should have high expectations.

But L1 wasn't an easy division last season - even one of the promoted sides had a run of seven - was it? - consecutive league defeats. As for the Championship, apart from Burton and Rotherham it isn't obvious which sides supporters of the Tykes might reasonably regard as inferior teams.

I forgot I'd said summat controversial t'other day. No idea why I've just remembered and logged on, but here I am.

I probably worded it badly in all honesty. Keith always seems to improve you each year. Am I right thinking that? But this summer I get the feeling Dale won't do as well. So aye, I probably worded it wrong. I don't think you'll go down or owt but I don't see you pushing for the top six again. But what do I know? Not much.

And it was eight consecutive league defeats and an FA Cup defeat thrown in. Followed by the best run of form in the country, bettered only by PSG and Barcelona in European league football. It was great. From rock bottom to Heckingbottom.

I don't see any teams as inferior or superior. We'll find that out I'm sure, but at this stage, it's all guesswork. Just happy to be back up here. What's the worst than can happen? We get relegated and come back up in no time, as usual. That might well be our status in these modern times, a yo-yo club. But this will be our 77th season in the second tier. Good to be home.
Jack OC on 21:28 - Jul 10 with 2865 viewsWhiteyBFC

Jack OC on 00:21 - Jul 9 by dingdangblue

Prediction: Dale will finish higher in league 1 than Barnsley in the Championship.

Very possible is that.

You'll not get smashed for five or six at Oakwell either so your GD is improving.
Jack OC on 21:31 - Jul 10 with 2857 viewsWhiteyBFC

Jack OC on 02:58 - Jul 9 by YadHoDale

Don't think Dale will struggle; we don't do bottom half under Hilly.

Blades and Millwall will be there or thereabouts; I fancy Gills, Posh and MK to be up there also. Maybe Bolton, but Parkinson normally takes a while to turn things round.

Dale are in the next group - playoff outsiders alongside Scunny, Oxford and Bristol Rovers. And Fleetwood if they replace Elvis with a competent manager.

At the bottom end, Oldham look fooked. Portugal Vale are more likely than not to go tits up. Shrewsbury have made their signings early, shame they're all mediocre at best, Swindon may struggle to live without the loan system, Sarfend have lost one of their two good players (Payne,, and the other (Barratt) is getting on for 50), Chesterfield are mediocrity personified, Bury's synergy is running out faster than their credit rating and AFC Norbiton are a set of bearded hipsters who belong in non league. And one of the playoff losers always has a mare the following season; 2016-17 will be Walsall's turn.

Barnsley? Dunno, I think Johnson's a good manager. Fancy them to be midtable. Preston are nowhere near as good as they think they are, and I fancy a mutual Anglian implosion from Norwich and Ipswich.

I don't see you as playoff outsiders. Mid table I reckon.

Agree with much of your post though otherwise, especially your Walsall theory (Bradshaw goes, they go...) although Johnson isn't Barnsley manager.
Jack OC on 21:39 - Jul 10 with 2849 viewsWhiteyBFC

Jack OC on 09:47 - Jul 9 by JimmyRustler

Ah, here comes Whitey..the king of condescension. I honestly can't tell now whether it's intentional or not but you sure do know how to let the brown sludge out at times. Welcome back!

Not really. I'm an honest bloke. And because I'm expecting Dale to struggle compared to recent seasons you don't like it. Which is fair enough if you only want folk to think the same. Personally, I enjoy hearing neutrals' views on my own club.

Considering the absolute shite I've put up with from a fair few of you on here the last few years, I reckon I do very well, I'm very cordial. I could have come on here taking the piss when we smashed you 6-1. Did I? Not in the slightest. I made no excuses when we were well beaten at your place. I stayed behind that day with lads off this forum, drank with them, took it well. I always do.

I have occasionally wound folk up, but I make it clear when I am. I'm not winding folk up in this thread. I see you struggling to repeat recent seasons. That doesn't mean you will and, even if you do, so what? You've just experienced the most successful two seasons ever. I feel a bit for Keith to be honest. Because it seems some of you expect more than you really ought to manage. But Keith's special and I hope he can keep overachieving and giving you those unexpected outcomes.
Jack OC on 10:26 - Jul 11 with 2652 viewsJimmyRustler

Jack OC on 21:39 - Jul 10 by WhiteyBFC

Not really. I'm an honest bloke. And because I'm expecting Dale to struggle compared to recent seasons you don't like it. Which is fair enough if you only want folk to think the same. Personally, I enjoy hearing neutrals' views on my own club.

Considering the absolute shite I've put up with from a fair few of you on here the last few years, I reckon I do very well, I'm very cordial. I could have come on here taking the piss when we smashed you 6-1. Did I? Not in the slightest. I made no excuses when we were well beaten at your place. I stayed behind that day with lads off this forum, drank with them, took it well. I always do.

I have occasionally wound folk up, but I make it clear when I am. I'm not winding folk up in this thread. I see you struggling to repeat recent seasons. That doesn't mean you will and, even if you do, so what? You've just experienced the most successful two seasons ever. I feel a bit for Keith to be honest. Because it seems some of you expect more than you really ought to manage. But Keith's special and I hope he can keep overachieving and giving you those unexpected outcomes.

QED
Jack OC on 11:15 - Jul 11 with 2610 viewsdingdangblue

Jack OC on 21:28 - Jul 10 by WhiteyBFC

Very possible is that.

You'll not get smashed for five or six at Oakwell either so your GD is improving.

Just not sure what you base your feeling on? Our end of season form was superb and we've kept hold of our best players Hendo,Camps,Allen,McDermott,Mendez Laing,Lillis. We've got the best manager in the lower leagues too. Just seems a weird statement to make - what has changed to make us struggle next season? Just saying its a feeling you have makes no logical sense.
Last 17 games: W9 D5 L3 ?
30 16.02.2016 Crewe Alexandra home D2-2 16 38
31 20.02.2016 Bradford City away D2-2 16 39
32 23.02.2016 Fleetwood Town home W1-0 16 42
33 27.02.2016 Sheffield United home W2-0 13 45
34 01.03.2016 Shrewsbury Town away L0-2 15 45
35 05.03.2016 Coventry City away W1-0 13 48
36 12.03.2016 Bury home W3-0 12 51
37 19.03.2016 Oldham Athletic away W3-2 11 54
38 25.03.2016 Southend United home W4-1 8 57
39 28.03.2016 Wigan Athletic away L0-1 8 57
40 02.04.2016 Doncaster Rovers home D2-2 9 58
41 09.04.2016 Peterborough United away W2-1 8 61
42 16.04.2016 Blackpool home W3-0 8 64
43 19.04.2016 Gillingham home D1-1 8 65
44 23.04.2016 Port Vale away L1-4 10 65
45 30.04.2016 Swindon Town home D2-2 11 66
46 08.05.2016 Colchester United away W2-1 10 69

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Jack OC on 15:15 - Jul 11 with 2493 viewsChaffRAFC

Will we struggle? Not sure. Will we have as good a season as the previous two? I doubt it. Various reasons to judge that on. I'm worried about goals in our squad. Ian Henderson is relied on to score the majority of our goals because neither Bunney or Andrew contribute enough. Bunney was improved last season, is that enough? Not sure it is. We need a striker in my opinion, not sure Hill agrees. Also think we need a defensive midfielder and I'm not sure Hill agrees on that either. We're in need of another defender. Who do we have on trial? Marcus Holness. That fills me with dread, not just a lack of optimism. Can we rely on Lillis to have a full season of good form or are we going to get the annual 6 week slump where we all want rid of him? Vincenti was so far off the ball at the back end of last season that if he continues that he'll be nowhere near the team.

We've lost or got rid of eleven players this summer. Of that eleven, I'd argue that seven of those were in and around the first team. That's a lot to replace and while Canavan and McGahey look ok signings on paper, Rathbone looks very young and we're a lot shorter than last season so far so I'm desperately hoping for an injection of high quality in the squad.

Big pressure on the likes of Camps, Allen and McDermott this season, without those players on form we'll struggle.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Jack OC on 17:55 - Jul 11 with 2428 viewsColDale

Jack OC on 15:15 - Jul 11 by ChaffRAFC

Will we struggle? Not sure. Will we have as good a season as the previous two? I doubt it. Various reasons to judge that on. I'm worried about goals in our squad. Ian Henderson is relied on to score the majority of our goals because neither Bunney or Andrew contribute enough. Bunney was improved last season, is that enough? Not sure it is. We need a striker in my opinion, not sure Hill agrees. Also think we need a defensive midfielder and I'm not sure Hill agrees on that either. We're in need of another defender. Who do we have on trial? Marcus Holness. That fills me with dread, not just a lack of optimism. Can we rely on Lillis to have a full season of good form or are we going to get the annual 6 week slump where we all want rid of him? Vincenti was so far off the ball at the back end of last season that if he continues that he'll be nowhere near the team.

We've lost or got rid of eleven players this summer. Of that eleven, I'd argue that seven of those were in and around the first team. That's a lot to replace and while Canavan and McGahey look ok signings on paper, Rathbone looks very young and we're a lot shorter than last season so far so I'm desperately hoping for an injection of high quality in the squad.

Big pressure on the likes of Camps, Allen and McDermott this season, without those players on form we'll struggle.

I think we're about one player away from really being able to push on, tho I concede that at this level that might be all we'll ever be.

There should be cash in the bank to give it a go. The wage bill saved from those who Spexited is much more than those on the way in, and Alessandra's wage is more funds in the kitty on top. I reckon we've got two decent signings left but it might be a case of waiting till the end of August when teams start reorganising after a poor start.

Someone mentioned Chris O'Grady the other day, maybe putting two and two together from the Tenerife trip and Murray signing for Brighton. Got far too giddy, but if there are genuine desires to get to the next stage, we may have to finance accordingly. Whilst finishing 10th season in season out would be a fantastic footballing achievement, it's not going to get the pulses racing as we saw in the Winter months of the season just gone.
Login to get fewer ads

Jack OC on 18:01 - Jul 11 with 2417 viewsTalkingSutty

Jack OC on 17:55 - Jul 11 by ColDale

I think we're about one player away from really being able to push on, tho I concede that at this level that might be all we'll ever be.

There should be cash in the bank to give it a go. The wage bill saved from those who Spexited is much more than those on the way in, and Alessandra's wage is more funds in the kitty on top. I reckon we've got two decent signings left but it might be a case of waiting till the end of August when teams start reorganising after a poor start.

Someone mentioned Chris O'Grady the other day, maybe putting two and two together from the Tenerife trip and Murray signing for Brighton. Got far too giddy, but if there are genuine desires to get to the next stage, we may have to finance accordingly. Whilst finishing 10th season in season out would be a fantastic footballing achievement, it's not going to get the pulses racing as we saw in the Winter months of the season just gone.

One player away....really??
Jack OC on 18:03 - Jul 11 with 2415 viewsTVOS1907

Jack OC on 17:55 - Jul 11 by ColDale

Interestingly, O'Grady was mentioned to me the other day as a season-long loan by a totally independent source, although I'm always dubious about these things.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jack OC on 18:05 - Jul 11 with 2410 viewsTVOS1907

Jack OC on 18:01 - Jul 11 by TalkingSutty

One player away....really??

I agree with you TS. I've got a nagging feeling, that has no basis whatsoever, that Hill is having to cut his playing budget more than anyone is letting on.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jack OC on 22:32 - Jul 14 with 2275 viewsWhiteyBFC

Jack OC on 18:03 - Jul 11 by TVOS1907

Interestingly, O'Grady was mentioned to me the other day as a season-long loan by a totally independent source, although I'm always dubious about these things.

He left us for Brighton and £60,000 per month. Unless they're letting you borrow him for free, it'd be unlikely, no? Done absolutely nothing since leaving. Shame, because he was great for us. But I bet his bank balance is healthy.
Jack OC on 16:35 - Jul 15 with 2126 viewsParkinsGimp

Jack OC on 15:35 - Jul 9 by TalkingSutty

I think it could depend on the mindset of the Club itself ( Those involved in the decision making). Personally I think we are only 3 quality signings away from being in with a realistic chance of challenging for the Play Offs and improving on last seasons efforts. Not words that Keith Hill will like to read, but there's a reason why we have finished so high over the past two seasons,it's not a fluke, it can't be after 92 games.

Strengthen the centre of defence and replace Alessandra and maybe look to bring in a proven wide player. Keeping hold of our better players is also important but the key think is Hill giving us another Season.

If Hill and the Boardroom do decide to aim for unchartered waters next season then I think we have a real chance. Forget looking at survival and let's aim even higher whilst players like Allen , Camps and Henderson are still in the building. Let's be a bit more bullish about the Club for a change.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2016 15:40]

I agree TS , but those three signings must be quality and must improve on what we had. RNL coming back is a bit of a smack in the mouth , since I believe this guy was a joke and cant see how he would of improved over closed season. But we will see :-)
Jack OC on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 1879 viewsdingdangblue

Jack OC on 22:43 - Jul 8 by WhiteyBFC

Oxford have added some good players to an already decent squad. Roofe will be a miss obviously but the lad Crowley who we had on loan, he's special. For us he was here at the wrong time. But clearly gifted. I fancy them to do well. Charlton will be up there. Dem blades too by the looks of their best XI.

Can see a season of struggle for Dale I'm afraid, first time I've ever said that.

Whitey's tips to go up:

Oxford, Charlton, Rochdale.

Some struggle!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Jack OC on 14:37 - Aug 3 with 1475 viewsVespaDale

Jack OC on 12:55 - Jul 8 by Thacks_Rabbits

My claim to shame. 25 years ago we played bury at Radcliffe pre season. Lost 1 0 to a knill header. At end of game he was at our end and I shouted great goal that Alan. He said thanks mate. I replied shame your and ugly ginger c***. Plenty of laughs but was not a nice thing to do. Feel better now I have admitted it. Sorry Alan 🤗

I also remember that game as their sub keeper tried to fight me in the stands along with their youth players. GMP jumped in, 2nd half they brought 'that' keeper on & he only saved a friggin penalty!!! Then at the end of the game he threw his gloves off & demanded i meet him on the car park...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024