Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best moments of 2018...so far (Bradfut tomorrow) 21:06 - Dec 28 with 4538 viewsYouTubeDale

And the nominees are :-

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Best moments of 2018...so far (Bradfut tomorrow) on 14:32 - Dec 29 with 1046 viewsSaxonDale

Best moments of 2018...so far (Bradfut tomorrow) on 13:43 - Dec 29 by EllDale

I was given Joe's book as a Christmas present and devoured it one go after eating a massive turkey dinner.
Excellent read although, as has been mentioned, Flicker comes across as a pr1ck but only when he was Joe's boss at Bury. He earns praise for his work as Keith's number two.
There's lot's I could say but that would spoil it for those still to read it and I don't want to affect sales!

Thanks, will pick up a copy. Apologies for nearly causing spoilers for those still to read it!
Best moments of 2018...so far (Bradfut tomorrow) on 09:26 - Dec 31 with 958 viewsDaleiLama

Best moments of 2018...so far (Bradfut tomorrow) on 09:10 - Dec 29 by ColDale

surprised there's not been more on here about the Joey T book. Was a cracking read. I don't think anyone could have imagined just what he went through in terms of the isolation etc. The references to Flicker as a manager was an insight too, but felt that may well have just been down to his perspective of it.

************Spoiler alert - Darkness and Light ***********

I don't think I have revealed any major plot or content of the book but please don't read the post below if you haven't read the book and want to know nothing about it until you do.

So, after reading your post Col, I read Joey T's book yesterday. I hate spoilers but a few comments which I don't feel should spoil anyone's read of it but put the above in just in case.
In terms of isolation, I actually found it heart-warming what a huge support group he had which no doubt helped him through, but the "18 days" sounded like purgatory.
His attitude reminded me very much of Lance Armstrong when he found he had testicular cancer. Slightly less "scientific" but combative.
I wondered how he would "manage" motivational speaking at a relatively young age. The old adage if you're good enough you're old enough sprang to mind. He's packed a lot into those years.
I thought at the time that him scoring the goal that kept us up was the stuff of fairy tales, but by the end of the book you couldn't imagine anyone else would even have been worthy.
Some of the Dale stuff that has been speculated about on here is answered in the book either directly or obliquely.
I would recommend anyone to read this book - it is as easy as slipping into a hot bath and immersion is total. Inspirational stuff.
Finally, I say this through blue, black and white spectacles, but if his story isn't made into a film it will be criminal. Something like the homage to Bob Champion would be perfect. With so many films being re-made for the 3rd or 4th time or the original being on the 8th iteration telling more or less the same story in a different location, this is actually original content combined with a Boy's Own modern day fairytale.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024