Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hampshire's greatest footballers 14:53 - Dec 20 with 22920 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Updated full list. Some very good players here. Of course Portsmouth gets the lions' share, but Southampton is a good second. I imagine that there is little dispute in this list, if we are basing it on facts and not bias.

1- 10 Top Draw
Portsmouth : Von Donop : Hampshire’s first ever superstar
Soton : Ted Drake : Good scoring rate, right time, right place
Portsmouth : Reg Flewin : One of only 6 captains to win post war back to back championships
Portsmouth : Peter Harris : Probably the highest ever scoring winger in England. Champion
Alton: Jimmy Dickinson : Mr consistency for club and country. Champion
Aldershot: Johnny Berry : In terms of trophies, tops the list. Champion
Portsmouth : Ray Crawford : Scored the goals to give Ipswich the Championship
Farnham : Peter Storey : Probably Hampshire’s hardest footballer, champion and serial winner
Greater Portsmouth : Bobby Tambling : In Chelsea’s greatest ever team. Impressive scoring rate
Portsmouth : Alex Chamberlain : Only player to win Europe’s highest accolade

10 — 20 : Excellent Players
New Alresford : Sir Christopher Rawlinson
Botley : Don Roper
Soton : Tom Parker
Greater Portsmouth : George Lilycrop
Portsmouth : Johnny Gordon
Winchester : Terry Paine
Soton : Martin Chivers
Portsmouth : Steve Foster
Soton : Darren Anderton
Winchester : Wayne Bridge

20 — 30 : Very good players
New Forest : Frank Jefferis
Soton : Peter Sillett
Aldershot : Bruce Rioch
Soton : Nick Holmes
New Forest : Kevin Reeves
Soton : Graham Roberts
Bournemouth : Paul Rideout
Greater Portsmouth : Kevin Pressman
New Forest : Jamie Redknapp
Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley

30 — 40 : Solid players
Farnborough : John Mortimore
Portsmouth : Phil Gunter
Portsmouth : Malcolm Waldron
Portsmouth : Bobby Stokes
Soton : Francis Benali
Romsey : Nigel Spackman
Portsmouth : Daryl Powell
Portsmouth Joel Ward
Portsmouth : James Ward Prowse
Portsmouth : Mason Mount

40 — 50 : Dependable players
Greater Portsmouth : Albert Mundy
Soton : John Sillett
Hartley Wintney : Archie turner
Portsmouth : David Jones
Winchester : Steve Guppy
Portsmouth : Steve Claridge
Basingstoke : Kit Symons
New Forest : Sam Vokes
Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
Petersfield : Calum Chambers

Final Tally :
Ports 21
Soton 9
NF 4, Winch 3, Aldershot 2, Basingstoke 2
Alton, Farnham, Botley, New Alresford, Farnborough, Bournemouth, Romsey, Petersfield, Hartley Wintney

[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:48]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:02 - Feb 24 with 1558 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:56 - Feb 24 by franniesTache

Scab

Tell us about the bin strike, I'm interested

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:07 - Feb 24 with 1554 viewsfranniesTache

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:02 - Feb 24 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Tell us about the bin strike, I'm interested

Scab
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:22 - Feb 24 with 1546 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:07 - Feb 24 by franniesTache

Scab

it appears that you have run out of yarns, and spin.

No 1984 scabbing has been proven, I bet the Bin Strike is also a tall story.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:39 - Feb 24 with 1541 viewsfranniesTache

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:22 - Feb 24 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

it appears that you have run out of yarns, and spin.

No 1984 scabbing has been proven, I bet the Bin Strike is also a tall story.

Scab
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:02 - Feb 24 with 1530 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:51 - Feb 24 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I would read this before Butty edits it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Hampshire

This has a good discussion on the subject
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/249818/page:6
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 14:02]

As ever your link dosent mention greater Portsmyth.

Not going to use Linkedin as a source this time PMSL

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:57 - Feb 25 with 1472 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 09:31 - Feb 24 by Butty101

Saint 130 - Mason Mount (the one you have a jizz fest over) has gone right off the boil. I think as ever you where a bit premature there. He needs to drop down a few places

Would that be the mason Mount who with 27 top flight appearances this year has appeared in more TF games in one season than Donny Ings has ever achieved?

The Mason Mount who by Saturday will have appeared in twice as many TF games for a top six English club than Ings has achieved.

The same Mount who has got six times an many national caps as Ings

The same Mount who as a 19 year old was the player of the season for a top six Dutch club and helped them to qualify for Europe

The same Mount who got called up to the England squad as a 19 year old, 4 years younger than Ings.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:31 - Feb 25 with 1463 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:57 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Would that be the mason Mount who with 27 top flight appearances this year has appeared in more TF games in one season than Donny Ings has ever achieved?

The Mason Mount who by Saturday will have appeared in twice as many TF games for a top six English club than Ings has achieved.

The same Mount who as a 19 year old was the player of the season for a top six Dutch club and helped them to qualify for Europe

The same Mount who got called up to the England squad as a 19 year old, 4 years younger than Ings.

Yeah thats the one.

When did he last make a notable contribution?

Lets see if Chelsea spend money next season, if he still gets game time.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:04 - Feb 25 with 1434 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:31 - Feb 25 by Butty101

Yeah thats the one.

When did he last make a notable contribution?

Lets see if Chelsea spend money next season, if he still gets game time.

He keeps making valuable contributions. That's why he keep getting picked for a top six club almost every week, and for his country in most games in the last year.

6 caps, and he's only just turned 21.

Login to get fewer ads

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:13 - Feb 25 with 1409 viewsfranniesTache

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:04 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

He keeps making valuable contributions. That's why he keep getting picked for a top six club almost every week, and for his country in most games in the last year.

6 caps, and he's only just turned 21.

Scab
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:30 - Feb 25 with 1400 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

1912 : Refused to work on the RMS Olympic due to alleged shortage of lifeboats = lazy and scared
1984 : Refused to work normally, and wanted extra money for being slow at work = lazy and cheating
2009 : Refused to carry on with the Save the Saints game = Lazy and tight
2011 — 2020 : Refused to sing at 2 1/2 sides of their ground = Lazy and shy

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:38 - Feb 25 with 1396 viewsfranniesTache

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:30 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

1912 : Refused to work on the RMS Olympic due to alleged shortage of lifeboats = lazy and scared
1984 : Refused to work normally, and wanted extra money for being slow at work = lazy and cheating
2009 : Refused to carry on with the Save the Saints game = Lazy and tight
2011 — 2020 : Refused to sing at 2 1/2 sides of their ground = Lazy and shy

Scab
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:40 - Feb 25 with 1395 viewsTimSaint

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:57 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

More utter bollox from you, as always.

27 appearances this year ? Seriously ? This year is not even 2 months old, so Chelsea would have had to play every other day ffs !!

Ings has made 26 League appearances for Saints this season, so I'm sure he will eclipse 27 later this season - but when doing your research, you clearly forgot that he had a season in the top flight with Burnley and made THIRTY FIVE League appearances that season.

Butty asked you what Mount had actually done of late. Not ask you for a comparison to Ings and his top flight or top six performances that you flick between to suit your agenda or stat. Mount has been quiet of late, including on Boxing Day !!

Ironic that you hark on about top 6 and top flight - but your team is currently in neither (even in your respective 3rd tier), so quit the jizz fest and focus on your own team, or players who have actually played for you !!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 16:41]

TimSaint

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:57 - Feb 25 with 1375 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:40 - Feb 25 by TimSaint

27 appearances this year ? Seriously ? This year is not even 2 months old, so Chelsea would have had to play every other day ffs !!

Ings has made 26 League appearances for Saints this season, so I'm sure he will eclipse 27 later this season - but when doing your research, you clearly forgot that he had a season in the top flight with Burnley and made THIRTY FIVE League appearances that season.

Butty asked you what Mount had actually done of late. Not ask you for a comparison to Ings and his top flight or top six performances that you flick between to suit your agenda or stat. Mount has been quiet of late, including on Boxing Day !!

Ironic that you hark on about top 6 and top flight - but your team is currently in neither (even in your respective 3rd tier), so quit the jizz fest and focus on your own team, or players who have actually played for you !!

This football season, it’s obvious what I was referring to.

Yes, I meant to write ever achieved ‘with your club’

If he is so rubbish why has he been picked for a top six club 27 times this ‘football season’?

He isn’t a centre forward, he’s a midfielder, and has been involved in lots of the goals this year, and of late, as well as scoring a few. He may well end up with 8,9 or 10 goals by the end of the season. That is very good for a youngster in his first full season in the PL.

What’s ironic about going on a bout a top six club? We are talking about a player and his abilities, therefore most top players will end up playing for a top six club. Ings is a good player, but he asked for a move because he wasn’t getting games. That was extremely lucky for your club, as without his form this ‘season’, you would probably be relegated.

On form, yes he hasn’t been as good as previous, and I would pick Grealish ahead of him for the next England game, but he definitely improved in the last game, and will probably keep his new form up . Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:22 - Feb 25 with 1371 viewsfranniesTache

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:57 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

If he is so rubbish why has he been picked for a top six club 27 times this ‘football season’?

He isn’t a centre forward, he’s a midfielder, and has been involved in lots of the goals this year, and of late, as well as scoring a few. He may well end up with 8,9 or 10 goals by the end of the season. That is very good for a youngster in his first full season in the PL.

What’s ironic about going on a bout a top six club? We are talking about a player and his abilities, therefore most top players will end up playing for a top six club. Ings is a good player, but he asked for a move because he wasn’t getting games. That was extremely lucky for your club, as without his form this ‘season’, you would probably be relegated.

On form, yes he hasn’t been as good as previous, and I would pick Grealish ahead of him for the next England game, but he definitely improved in the last game, and will probably keep his new form up . Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Scab
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 07:25 - Feb 26 with 1315 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:57 - Feb 25 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

How small time do you have to be to be so obsessed with a youngster from Pompey who got away from your own club at the earliest opportunity? Do you feel the same way about JWP?
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 08:08 - Feb 26 with 1299 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 07:25 - Feb 26 by Ingskneeslide

How small time do you have to be to be so obsessed with a youngster from Pompey who got away from your own club at the earliest opportunity? Do you feel the same way about JWP?

How small time do you have to be to start a thread on Hampshire’s greatest footballers, keep it running for months and miss off loads of players plus including others with no connection to your club, city or both?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 09:05 - Feb 26 with 1270 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 08:08 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

How small time do you have to be to start a thread on Hampshire’s greatest footballers, keep it running for months and miss off loads of players plus including others with no connection to your club, city or both?

Daryl Powell is a great case in point. Born in London but is one of Hampshire’s finest

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 10:36 - Feb 26 with 1246 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 09:05 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Daryl Powell is a great case in point. Born in London but is one of Hampshire’s finest

Keep up Butty, London is part of Portsmouth in the case of Daryl Powell but Netley is not part of Southampton in the case of ‘Donny’ Ings
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:37 - Feb 26 with 1239 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 09:05 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Bobby Tambling is my favourite, born in Sussex, never played for Portsmouth yet apparently counts as one of Portsmouths and Hampshires best ever players.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 11:38]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:30 - Feb 26 with 1215 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, is Wayne bridge from Soton or Winchester?

and is Andrew Surman, from Soton or South Africa?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:31 - Feb 26 with 1214 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:37 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

Bobby Tambling is my favourite, born in Sussex, never played for Portsmouth yet apparently counts as one of Portsmouths and Hampshires best ever players.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 11:38]

Clearly raised in Havant, which is part of the Portsmouth Urban Area, or as it used to be called 'Greater portsmouth'

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:33 - Feb 26 with 1210 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

I'll put Baker in later on, when I update the list. Like I have said, my list is unbiased and based on facts. However, I am only human, and have missed a couple off.

The biggest omission is another one from Greater Portsmouth ie Steve Moran

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:35 - Feb 26 with 1208 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:40 - Feb 25 by TimSaint

And the key reason we are comparing Ings to Mount, is that Mount is in the top 50, but Ings has not yet made it, which Butty doesn't think is very fair; despite all the evidence.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:36 - Feb 26 with 1206 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 10:36 - Feb 26 by Ingskneeslide

Keep up Butty, London is part of Portsmouth in the case of Daryl Powell but Netley is not part of Southampton in the case of ‘Donny’ Ings

Raised in Portsmouth

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:40 - Feb 26 with 1204 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 07:25 - Feb 26 by Ingskneeslide

JWP goes out of his way to diss Pompey, but Mount will always defend his hometown club. It's not hard to understand.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024