Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hampshire's greatest footballers 14:53 - Dec 20 with 22993 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Updated full list. Some very good players here. Of course Portsmouth gets the lions' share, but Southampton is a good second. I imagine that there is little dispute in this list, if we are basing it on facts and not bias.

1- 10 Top Draw
Portsmouth : Von Donop : Hampshire’s first ever superstar
Soton : Ted Drake : Good scoring rate, right time, right place
Portsmouth : Reg Flewin : One of only 6 captains to win post war back to back championships
Portsmouth : Peter Harris : Probably the highest ever scoring winger in England. Champion
Alton: Jimmy Dickinson : Mr consistency for club and country. Champion
Aldershot: Johnny Berry : In terms of trophies, tops the list. Champion
Portsmouth : Ray Crawford : Scored the goals to give Ipswich the Championship
Farnham : Peter Storey : Probably Hampshire’s hardest footballer, champion and serial winner
Greater Portsmouth : Bobby Tambling : In Chelsea’s greatest ever team. Impressive scoring rate
Portsmouth : Alex Chamberlain : Only player to win Europe’s highest accolade

10 — 20 : Excellent Players
New Alresford : Sir Christopher Rawlinson
Botley : Don Roper
Soton : Tom Parker
Greater Portsmouth : George Lilycrop
Portsmouth : Johnny Gordon
Winchester : Terry Paine
Soton : Martin Chivers
Portsmouth : Steve Foster
Soton : Darren Anderton
Winchester : Wayne Bridge

20 — 30 : Very good players
New Forest : Frank Jefferis
Soton : Peter Sillett
Aldershot : Bruce Rioch
Soton : Nick Holmes
New Forest : Kevin Reeves
Soton : Graham Roberts
Bournemouth : Paul Rideout
Greater Portsmouth : Kevin Pressman
New Forest : Jamie Redknapp
Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley

30 — 40 : Solid players
Farnborough : John Mortimore
Portsmouth : Phil Gunter
Portsmouth : Malcolm Waldron
Portsmouth : Bobby Stokes
Soton : Francis Benali
Romsey : Nigel Spackman
Portsmouth : Daryl Powell
Portsmouth Joel Ward
Portsmouth : James Ward Prowse
Portsmouth : Mason Mount

40 — 50 : Dependable players
Greater Portsmouth : Albert Mundy
Soton : John Sillett
Hartley Wintney : Archie turner
Portsmouth : David Jones
Winchester : Steve Guppy
Portsmouth : Steve Claridge
Basingstoke : Kit Symons
New Forest : Sam Vokes
Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
Petersfield : Calum Chambers

Final Tally :
Ports 21
Soton 9
NF 4, Winch 3, Aldershot 2, Basingstoke 2
Alton, Farnham, Botley, New Alresford, Farnborough, Bournemouth, Romsey, Petersfield, Hartley Wintney

[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:48]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:11 - Feb 26 with 1398 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:31 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Clearly raised in Havant, which is part of the Portsmouth Urban Area, or as it used to be called 'Greater portsmouth'

Its never been called "Greater portsmouth" - as yet you havent proved this.

I think you need to edit you list some what. Maybe add Lallana as he was raised in Bournemouth and you are covering Bournemouth in your list.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:14 - Feb 26 with 1395 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:33 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I'll put Baker in later on, when I update the list. Like I have said, my list is unbiased and based on facts. However, I am only human, and have missed a couple off.

The biggest omission is another one from Greater Portsmouth ie Steve Moran

You are barely human
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:18 - Feb 26 with 1389 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:11 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Its never been called "Greater portsmouth" - as yet you havent proved this.

I think you need to edit you list some what. Maybe add Lallana as he was raised in Bournemouth and you are covering Bournemouth in your list.

Bournemouth was part of Hampshire till 1974, that's why Paul Rideout is included in the list, and Lallana isn't. Keep up.

And the wikipage, used to reference 'greater Portsmouth and greater Soton, but this was changed to the South Hampshire Urban area with the sub divisions being called Portsmouth and Southampton Urban area. Keep up

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:18 - Feb 26 with 1388 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:14 - Feb 26 by Ingskneeslide

You are barely human

A little bit of bitter Les squeezing out here.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:44 - Feb 26 with 1385 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:30 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, is Wayne bridge from Soton or Winchester?

and is Andrew Surman, from Soton or South Africa?

If Bobby gambling counts as being from Portsmouth because he was raised near there the how does Andrew Surman not count as he was raised in Southampton despite being born elsewhere, you have both or neither.

They aren’t the only Southampton born and/or raised players missing from your completely tragic and inaccurate list either but I’ll let you find out who they are as you’ve devoted 3 months of your life research it and still managed to f_ck it up.

[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 14:07]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:00 - Feb 26 with 1364 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:18 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Bournemouth was part of Hampshire till 1974, that's why Paul Rideout is included in the list, and Lallana isn't. Keep up.

And the wikipage, used to reference 'greater Portsmouth and greater Soton, but this was changed to the South Hampshire Urban area with the sub divisions being called Portsmouth and Southampton Urban area. Keep up

Find a better source than Wiki. Otherwise drop the Greater Portsmouth BS.

Edit and what year did the mythological Greater Portsmouth stop existing?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 15:10]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:01 - Feb 26 with 1362 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:44 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

If Bobby gambling counts as being from Portsmouth because he was raised near there the how does Andrew Surman not count as he was raised in Southampton despite being born elsewhere, you have both or neither.

They aren’t the only Southampton born and/or raised players missing from your completely tragic and inaccurate list either but I’ll let you find out who they are as you’ve devoted 3 months of your life research it and still managed to f_ck it up.

Game Set and Match

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:08 - Feb 26 with 1355 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:44 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

Surman is a Hampshire player, but in my opinion isn't quite good enough to get into the top 50. He has around 140 PL appearances, the same as Malcolm Waldron, but clearly Waldron would have had a lot more but didn't, due to injuries. That is why Waldron is in, and Surman isn't. It's not hard to understand.

And I haven't spent months researching this, it was just a little collection from another thread if you remember. You lot keep the threads going because you can't accept that Pompey/ the Portsmouth urban area simply produces more quality footballers. The number of TF appearances and TF goals simply points to Portsmouth. The higher quality from the blue sector is inescapable.

If your area produced better footballers, your club wouldn't need to raid all the nippers from all over the south of England. Harsh but true.

Login to get fewer ads

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:24 - Feb 26 with 1340 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:08 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Surman is a Hampshire player, but in my opinion isn't quite good enough to get into the top 50. He has around 140 PL appearances, the same as Malcolm Waldron, but clearly Waldron would have had a lot more but didn't, due to injuries. That is why Waldron is in, and Surman isn't. It's not hard to understand.

And I haven't spent months researching this, it was just a little collection from another thread if you remember. You lot keep the threads going because you can't accept that Pompey/ the Portsmouth urban area simply produces more quality footballers. The number of TF appearances and TF goals simply points to Portsmouth. The higher quality from the blue sector is inescapable.

If your area produced better footballers, your club wouldn't need to raid all the nippers from all over the south of England. Harsh but true.

So where do you draw the line with this? Southampton born Aaron Flahaven would have gone certainLy on to be a premier League player but for his tragic circumstances, so he should be in based on what might have happened not what did happen like Waldron is.

As for producing better players if you’d listed them all correctly without missing quite a few off then as well as not cherry pickingThe criteria to suit your agenda then the list would look a lot different.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2020 14:24]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:42 - Feb 26 with 1325 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:24 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

So where do you draw the line with this? Southampton born Aaron Flahaven would have gone certainLy on to be a premier League player but for his tragic circumstances, so he should be in based on what might have happened not what did happen like Waldron is.

As for producing better players if you’d listed them all correctly without missing quite a few off then as well as not cherry pickingThe criteria to suit your agenda then the list would look a lot different.

Because despite his injuries, Waldron still managed 140 games, and was highly rated. Flahavan never played in the TF, and was 25 when he tragically passed on. He might have made it, but we will never know. I could have included Mike Barnard, who literally gave up top class football to concentrate on his cricket career at the same age. I might have included Sydney Pullen who starred in Brazil.

The only reason Vokes and Stokes are in, is because of their International career and the winning FA cup goal. That show you how unbiased I am.

And the reason for the omissions is because I haven't studied this list for months, that is why I have asked the question. Brilliant, I'll put Baker in, and probably Harry Moger too.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:09 - Feb 26 with 1309 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:42 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Because despite his injuries, Waldron still managed 140 games, and was highly rated. Flahavan never played in the TF, and was 25 when he tragically passed on. He might have made it, but we will never know. I could have included Mike Barnard, who literally gave up top class football to concentrate on his cricket career at the same age. I might have included Sydney Pullen who starred in Brazil.

The only reason Vokes and Stokes are in, is because of their International career and the winning FA cup goal. That show you how unbiased I am.

And the reason for the omissions is because I haven't studied this list for months, that is why I have asked the question. Brilliant, I'll put Baker in, and probably Harry Moger too.

"Not studied the list for months"

Yet only 3 days ago you posted this

Donny Ings get 100 top flight appearances, that is a good milestone, he is getting closer to the top 55, that is for sure. His 36 goals are an impressive haul ie 0.36 goals per game.

I know he's not from Southampton, or even greater Soton, but he is a local lad. Comparisons with past local lads is interesting

0.33 Johnny Gordon 102 goals in 333 games
0.39 Martin Chivers 149 goals in 378 games
0.41 Peter Harris 193 goals in 486 games
0.42 Bobby Tambling 142 goals in 340 games
0.58 Ray Crawford 130 goals in 225 games

Amazingly, a Soton lad tops the list, but he was lucky enough to join the top club in the country at the right time, then not see his rate lip down due to age, and all of this because of the outbreak of WW2. ie The World War made him look a lot better than he was.

The 100 club, 4-2 to Pompey, as Tom Jones would say, "It's not unusual"

and still you've missed a number of Southampton born players off and included Sussex born, Chelsea player Bobby Tambling.

As for Flahavan, he would have gone on to play in the premier league, I know he would have because I knew him and knew him from when we were 13. In fact the summer before his accident a couple of premier leagues clubs were showing an interest.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:26 - Feb 26 with 1297 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:09 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

"Not studied the list for months"

Yet only 3 days ago you posted this

Donny Ings get 100 top flight appearances, that is a good milestone, he is getting closer to the top 55, that is for sure. His 36 goals are an impressive haul ie 0.36 goals per game.

I know he's not from Southampton, or even greater Soton, but he is a local lad. Comparisons with past local lads is interesting

0.33 Johnny Gordon 102 goals in 333 games
0.39 Martin Chivers 149 goals in 378 games
0.41 Peter Harris 193 goals in 486 games
0.42 Bobby Tambling 142 goals in 340 games
0.58 Ray Crawford 130 goals in 225 games

Amazingly, a Soton lad tops the list, but he was lucky enough to join the top club in the country at the right time, then not see his rate lip down due to age, and all of this because of the outbreak of WW2. ie The World War made him look a lot better than he was.

The 100 club, 4-2 to Pompey, as Tom Jones would say, "It's not unusual"

and still you've missed a number of Southampton born players off and included Sussex born, Chelsea player Bobby Tambling.

As for Flahavan, he would have gone on to play in the premier league, I know he would have because I knew him and knew him from when we were 13. In fact the summer before his accident a couple of premier leagues clubs were showing an interest.

That's because Butty keeps mentioning ings, so I knew he was approaching 100 TF games.

Drake is missing off the list, but from previous comments, and my ranking him as in the top ten, and my WW2 comment it's clear I was talking about him. it's obvious he was a high quality player. Who are the other local lads I have missed off who have scored 100 TF goals?

Is Havant in Hampshire : yes or No?
Was tambling raised in Havant : yes or No?
Did he go to school in Havant : yes or No?
Did he go to school in Storrington : yes or No?

That is interesting about Flavahavan, who were the clubs?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:33 - Feb 26 with 1292 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:26 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

That's because Butty keeps mentioning ings, so I knew he was approaching 100 TF games.

Drake is missing off the list, but from previous comments, and my ranking him as in the top ten, and my WW2 comment it's clear I was talking about him. it's obvious he was a high quality player. Who are the other local lads I have missed off who have scored 100 TF goals?

Is Havant in Hampshire : yes or No?
Was tambling raised in Havant : yes or No?
Did he go to school in Havant : yes or No?
Did he go to school in Storrington : yes or No?

That is interesting about Flavahavan, who were the clubs?

Mate you are rubbish at this. You brought up Ings for some reason when i pointed out Mason Mount has gone off the boil.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:39 - Feb 26 with 1287 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:33 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Mate you are rubbish at this. You brought up Ings for some reason when i pointed out Mason Mount has gone off the boil.

You are upset that Mount is in the top 50, and Ings is not yet in. That is your beef. The facts speak for themselves. Mount even played in a Champions league game yesterday.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:46 - Feb 26 with 1279 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:39 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You are upset that Mount is in the top 50, and Ings is not yet in. That is your beef. The facts speak for themselves. Mount even played in a Champions league game yesterday.

Upset Lol.

Mason Mount had a great impact last night!
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/michael-ballack-sympathises-mason-mount-chelseas-

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:51 - Feb 26 with 1273 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:46 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Upset Lol.

Mason Mount had a great impact last night!
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/michael-ballack-sympathises-mason-mount-chelseas-

Who do you think will end up with more top flight appearances, and more England caps?

Serious question

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:12 - Feb 26 with 1271 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:51 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Who do you think will end up with more top flight appearances, and more England caps?

Serious question

Mount has been lucky to be at chelsea at a time when they had to throw youngsters in. I will be amazed if once Lampard is sacked in the summer, he will still be getting game time. He had a great start but has scored 2 goals since the beginning of october.

He might play more than Ings but we live in a time when caps are handed out to youngsters before they have been earned.

I bet Ings will get more time at the euros than mount.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:29 - Feb 26 with 1265 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:12 - Feb 26 by Butty101

Mount has been lucky to be at chelsea at a time when they had to throw youngsters in. I will be amazed if once Lampard is sacked in the summer, he will still be getting game time. He had a great start but has scored 2 goals since the beginning of october.

He might play more than Ings but we live in a time when caps are handed out to youngsters before they have been earned.

I bet Ings will get more time at the euros than mount.

Agree on the first bit, but the fact that he has picked up 6 England caps surely indicates that he isn't just making up the numbers. Any young player will get found out month by month in his first few years,, and need to adjust his game accordingly. Mount would have learnt loads from the Munich game.

It all depends on the form of the player at the time. Ings might go off the boil and not get picked, Mount may completely up his game. I will look at the form of the players in May before making any predictions.

Hampshire's greatest footballers (n/t) on 11:46 - Feb 27 with 1200 viewsDellHero

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:29 - Feb 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Agree on the first bit, but the fact that he has picked up 6 England caps surely indicates that he isn't just making up the numbers. Any young player will get found out month by month in his first few years,, and need to adjust his game accordingly. Mount would have learnt loads from the Munich game.

It all depends on the form of the player at the time. Ings might go off the boil and not get picked, Mount may completely up his game. I will look at the form of the players in May before making any predictions.

[Post edited 10 May 2020 18:25]
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:23 - Feb 27 with 1186 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:24 - Feb 26 by this_charming_man

So, where are these Southampton lads that are near the top of the table for top flight goals or appearances? The fact that I have 'some' missing tells you that I haven't been researching it for months. There are sites with a lot of this info.

My guess is that there are hardly any more players from Southampton who will fill the voids near the top of the tree. It's nice and convenient for you to say there are some missing, but lets see the evidence.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:27 - Mar 3 with 1141 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Fascinating piece by Alan Shearer on the BBC website ; ref English players and the forwards https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51700129

"It is clear that centre-forward is turning into a problem position for Southgate with all these players being sidelined.

There has even been talk of Leicester City's Jamie Vardy making a return for England, but even he is injured at the moment.

I think that is a non-starter anyway. Vardy all but retired from international football in August 2018 and I have never heard the 33-year-old say anything about changing his mind.

If Kane and Rashford don't make it, then Abraham would be one of the main contenders if he is fit - but after that there is ONLY Calvert-Lewin and Southampton's Danny Ings to fall back on."

ONLY Danny Ings

He doesn't pull his punches does he?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:37 - Mar 3 with 1135 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:23 - Feb 27 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, where are these Southampton lads that are near the top of the table for top flight goals or appearances? The fact that I have 'some' missing tells you that I haven't been researching it for months. There are sites with a lot of this info.

My guess is that there are hardly any more players from Southampton who will fill the voids near the top of the tree. It's nice and convenient for you to say there are some missing, but lets see the evidence.

Why do I need to provide evidence? It’s your list, you’re the one who has started multiple threads on it, you’re the one driving this. I simply pointed out your list is incomplete, subjective and in a number of cases inaccurate. The burden of proof is on you pal.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:42 - Mar 3 with 1133 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:37 - Mar 3 by this_charming_man

Why do I need to provide evidence? It’s your list, you’re the one who has started multiple threads on it, you’re the one driving this. I simply pointed out your list is incomplete, subjective and in a number of cases inaccurate. The burden of proof is on you pal.

They're not here moosh

http://free-elements.com/England/ts0.html

I have looked

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:52 - Mar 3 with 1111 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:42 - Mar 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

They're not here moosh

http://free-elements.com/England/ts0.html

I have looked

I never said they were in the top 100 goal scorers, that was something you said. I said there were several Southampton born players that you had missed off your list and there is. It's getting a bit embarrassing for you this isn't it.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 13:56]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:06 - Mar 3 with 1097 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:52 - Mar 3 by this_charming_man

I never said they were in the top 100 goal scorers, that was something you said. I said there were several Southampton born players that you had missed off your list and there is. It's getting a bit embarrassing for you this isn't it.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 13:56]

Several, but you won't or can't name them!!. I've already said I will update the list, and mentioned a couple that need adding. The only other real omission is Jim Goodchild.

The fact that that you know who some of the omissions are means that you have been studying this, even though you won't admit it. I admire your never give up spirit.

And don't forget these arguments have been going on within this site for some while, and not always driven by me. I just challenge the sites somewhat predictable narrative, but have clearly shown most of the players at the top of the tree are from the Pompey area.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024