Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool/VAR 17:31 - Dec 29 with 4307 viewsBicester_North

Anyone see the 2 decisions that have gone Liverpool’s way today? Both harsh on Wolves. The pieces of shit have had these go their way all season it seems. Can’t be disputed they’ve been the best team in the league but the decisions they’ve been getting take the piss.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Liverpool/VAR on 11:56 - Dec 30 with 805 viewsDorsetIan

Liverpool/VAR on 11:39 - Dec 30 by Messysaints

If your offside your offside, it don't matter if it's your shoulder cause your shoulder is included in the rules, only things not are hands and arms. Armpit is under your shoulder so yes it's offside, I don't care if it's a mm or a yard it's offside.

When you use a spirit level to get some thing flat or vertical do you give it a few inches either way?

The point of the offside trap is to catch attackers going past defense line, it don't matter if it is a mm or not they are still past the line, you can't start a race a few inches past the start pointi it's a false start and a penalty, don't remember vetel moaning when he got a 5 sec penalty for starting further forward than he was meant to, he manned up and said clearly I know where I line is I past it its my fault, I know the rules......

So now we have ppl moaning they got caught offside, yes it's harsh, but your still offside so, time your run better next time, gj defenders for holding your line..

Now you are telling me if are game against palace was a cup final or a relegation game and that goal was given by palace and we got relegated / lost the game cause Zaha was offside and the defenders held the line as they are told to do and train do to but the goal was given you would be happy?

Bulls mate, absolutely bol/ocks

If your offside your offside next time stay behind the defender or level, take note level means in line not past it by a few inches......
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 11:41]

This is the classic defence of the way that VAR is now operating the offside rule and on one level there's no arguing with 'if you're offside, you're offside'.

My problem is this. A few years ago, they changed the rule so that being 'in line' was not offside. At least that is what we, as football fans were all told, and we all got used to that.

The trouble is the actual rules of the game have defined 'in line' by saying something like 'no part of the body is in front of the defender' and that's what they now try to work out with all their stupid lines on the video stills.

And the problem is that these lines, measuring shoulders and toes and whatever else, are ruling out goals which every single linesman standing on the side of the pitch and every single fan sitting in the stand, or even watching on telly, would say were not offside because by any normal use of the phrase the players were 'in line' (think of a queue of 20 people standing 'in a line' - are none of their bodies overlapping?).

So we now have a system where it is only the video geek, applying the strict 'no part of the body' rule who is calling an offside.

They says it's offside, you say, 'if you're offside, you're offside'. I say, they're in line - they're not offside. It's what we all thought the rule was, that's the rule they should be applying.

The linesman's main job is to call offside. Let's not have a rule where no linesman on the face of the planet is physically able to call offside correctly because they are not a robot with laser eyes.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 11:58]

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Liverpool/VAR on 11:57 - Dec 30 with 800 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool/VAR on 11:47 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

We wouldn’t have won the FA Cup either though.

Although just watching it again, still could’ve been on, too close to call. Either way yes VAR has worked out well for Saints this season but I’m in the camp which doesn’t want a sterilised version of football.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 11:54]

Why not? Because of a Portsmyth? Video evidence has clearly shown that Stokes was onside so that has shut them up. Of course, if there had been VAR at the time, the Portsmyth could never have even started.

If there had been VAR, we might have won a League Cup Final as well.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Liverpool/VAR on 12:02 - Dec 30 with 789 viewsMessysaints

Liverpool/VAR on 11:47 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

We wouldn’t have won the FA Cup either though.

Although just watching it again, still could’ve been on, too close to call. Either way yes VAR has worked out well for Saints this season but I’m in the camp which doesn’t want a sterilised version of football.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 11:54]

That is your opinion, I don't like var but I like the fairness of it. Rather the right result than a result full of unsportmenship and wrong calls and offsides and fouls and play acting, I'll defo stop watching football if it's no longer a sport. You want watch fake sports purely for entertainment? Go watch WWE
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 12:03]
Liverpool/VAR on 12:26 - Dec 30 with 764 viewsMessysaints

Liverpool/VAR on 11:56 - Dec 30 by DorsetIan

This is the classic defence of the way that VAR is now operating the offside rule and on one level there's no arguing with 'if you're offside, you're offside'.

My problem is this. A few years ago, they changed the rule so that being 'in line' was not offside. At least that is what we, as football fans were all told, and we all got used to that.

The trouble is the actual rules of the game have defined 'in line' by saying something like 'no part of the body is in front of the defender' and that's what they now try to work out with all their stupid lines on the video stills.

And the problem is that these lines, measuring shoulders and toes and whatever else, are ruling out goals which every single linesman standing on the side of the pitch and every single fan sitting in the stand, or even watching on telly, would say were not offside because by any normal use of the phrase the players were 'in line' (think of a queue of 20 people standing 'in a line' - are none of their bodies overlapping?).

So we now have a system where it is only the video geek, applying the strict 'no part of the body' rule who is calling an offside.

They says it's offside, you say, 'if you're offside, you're offside'. I say, they're in line - they're not offside. It's what we all thought the rule was, that's the rule they should be applying.

The linesman's main job is to call offside. Let's not have a rule where no linesman on the face of the planet is physically able to call offside correctly because they are not a robot with laser eyes.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 11:58]

As the past have proved, the linesmen can't call offsides, they fail, they fail at it alot, an awful lot, is that not why we brought var in to start with?

The Line is a straight line from one side to the other from the last part of the defender ( not including arms and hands) if an attacker goes past this line with any part if the body not including hands and arms us offside, Wat part is unclear? Or complicated? Why does a few inches need to be included? Or as Roy put it, daylight between them.. So a full 2-4 yards offside? Attackers get it easy as it is with most tackles good clean tackles award as free kicks.
Liverpool/VAR on 12:43 - Dec 30 with 737 viewsBicester_North

Liverpool/VAR on 11:57 - Dec 30 by dirk_doone

Why not? Because of a Portsmyth? Video evidence has clearly shown that Stokes was onside so that has shut them up. Of course, if there had been VAR at the time, the Portsmyth could never have even started.

If there had been VAR, we might have won a League Cup Final as well.

Never seen the video evidence, where can you see that?

Liverpool/VAR on 12:48 - Dec 30 with 734 viewsBicester_North

Liverpool/VAR on 12:02 - Dec 30 by Messysaints

That is your opinion, I don't like var but I like the fairness of it. Rather the right result than a result full of unsportmenship and wrong calls and offsides and fouls and play acting, I'll defo stop watching football if it's no longer a sport. You want watch fake sports purely for entertainment? Go watch WWE

I’m all for VAR to stop obvious cheating, diving and handballs but the marginal offside is where I can’t see an advantage for fans. Going back to the 76 cup final, would’ve taken a lot of joy out of the game if everyone had to wait 2 minutes before celebrating or being pissed off.

Liverpool/VAR on 12:56 - Dec 30 with 726 viewsIngskneeslide

Liverpool/VAR on 12:02 - Dec 30 by Messysaints

Sheffield United will tell you that VAR isn't that fair after the ref got involved in Man City's goal last night and the video refs let the goal stand. It has evened things up a bit but refs will always try and favour the big clubs if they can find a way.
Liverpool/VAR on 13:19 - Dec 30 with 709 viewsMessysaints

Liverpool/VAR on 12:56 - Dec 30 by Ingskneeslide

Sheffield United will tell you that VAR isn't that fair after the ref got involved in Man City's goal last night and the video refs let the goal stand. It has evened things up a bit but refs will always try and favour the big clubs if they can find a way.

Under the rules, the same rules every team plays by it was a goal, weather you like it or not it's a goal, same as Zaha, he is offside, don't matter how much by, it could be a foot a yard or an inch, offside is offside, if var was not here we just concerned a goal that was not a goal by the laws and rules of the game.

So if your happy for that to stand and for a team to be given a goal for nothing, will you be OK with teams starting 1/2/3 nill up just cause you want it for the sake of entertainment not for sportsmanship? Screw your entertainment, I want to watch a sport, if I want entertainment I'll watch your been framed.

All controversial decisions this weekend have been proved to be correct decisions even if ppl don't like the out come. they are correct decisions.
Login to get fewer ads

Liverpool/VAR on 13:27 - Dec 30 with 696 viewsBicester_North

Liverpool/VAR on 13:19 - Dec 30 by Messysaints

Under the rules, the same rules every team plays by it was a goal, weather you like it or not it's a goal, same as Zaha, he is offside, don't matter how much by, it could be a foot a yard or an inch, offside is offside, if var was not here we just concerned a goal that was not a goal by the laws and rules of the game.

So if your happy for that to stand and for a team to be given a goal for nothing, will you be OK with teams starting 1/2/3 nill up just cause you want it for the sake of entertainment not for sportsmanship? Screw your entertainment, I want to watch a sport, if I want entertainment I'll watch your been framed.

All controversial decisions this weekend have been proved to be correct decisions even if ppl don't like the out come. they are correct decisions.

The sport that’s the most popular in the world before VAR, that most of us grew up playing in parks and local leagues and lived long before VAR, now you’re comparing that sport to you’ve been framed and Panto wrestling? So all football before VAR should be written off as Panto in your opinion yes?

Liverpool/VAR on 13:45 - Dec 30 with 679 viewsMessysaints

Liverpool/VAR on 13:27 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

The sport that’s the most popular in the world before VAR, that most of us grew up playing in parks and local leagues and lived long before VAR, now you’re comparing that sport to you’ve been framed and Panto wrestling? So all football before VAR should be written off as Panto in your opinion yes?

No, but if you are putting entertainment over its rules then yes it might as well be.

It's here it's staying and I am glad. Offside is offside end of, no ifs no buts, players Di t like it tough, time the run better next time.

Don't remember hearing th is much noise when goal line came out.. How can the be sure.. Why a whisker past the line and not an in charge? And so on and so on, it's cause the rules are clear.

I don't care if you don't like ppl being given goals that shouldn't be goals.

I like th at when some one is offside and scores it's rubbed out like the rules say it should be.
Liverpool/VAR on 13:48 - Dec 30 with 674 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool/VAR on 13:27 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

I think we are beginning to realize just how unfair football was to clubs like ours before VAR. Wrong decisions were costing Saints at least 6 points per season and may have cost us several trophies as well. It would be interesting to see a retrospective VAR analysis of what the correct results should have been.

How VAR decisions have affected Saints so far this season is a good indication of the handicap we had before with the number of offside and handball goals being wrongly awarded against us:

Disallowed goals against: 5

Game: Sheffield United (A; Sept. 14)
Incident: Oliver McBurnie's goal disallowed for offside, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: AFC Bournemouth (H; Sept. 20)
Incident: Josh King scored for the Cherries, but he was offside, 25th minute - FOR

Game: Wolves (A; Oct. 19)
Incident: Raul Jimenez goal ruled out for offside against Patrick Cutrone, 42nd minute - FOR

Game: West Ham (H; Dec. 14)
Incident: Goal for Michail Antonio ruled out for handball, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Dec. 2
Incident: Goal for Max Meyer ruled out for offside by Wilfried Zaha in the build-up, 15th minute - FOR

Fans at Plymouth, an even more unpopular journey for match officials, must be hoping that they will get VAR in their league too.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 13:52]

Liverpool/VAR on 14:26 - Dec 30 with 640 viewsIngskneeslide

Liverpool/VAR on 13:19 - Dec 30 by Messysaints

In that instance the rules weren't applied fairly at all. The ref got in the way of the ball and physically stopped a Sheffield United counter-attack, City then immediately go forward and score. Under the new rules it should have been a drop ball with possession given to United, instead they went 1-0 down. VAR could easily have applied the rules but allowed the goal to stand. I'm not arguing that VAR hasn't evened things up a bit but to argue it's perfect and offers a completely level playing field like you are is absurd.
Liverpool/VAR on 14:28 - Dec 30 with 636 viewsBicester_North

Liverpool/VAR on 13:48 - Dec 30 by dirk_doone

I think we are beginning to realize just how unfair football was to clubs like ours before VAR. Wrong decisions were costing Saints at least 6 points per season and may have cost us several trophies as well. It would be interesting to see a retrospective VAR analysis of what the correct results should have been.

How VAR decisions have affected Saints so far this season is a good indication of the handicap we had before with the number of offside and handball goals being wrongly awarded against us:

Disallowed goals against: 5

Game: Sheffield United (A; Sept. 14)
Incident: Oliver McBurnie's goal disallowed for offside, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: AFC Bournemouth (H; Sept. 20)
Incident: Josh King scored for the Cherries, but he was offside, 25th minute - FOR

Game: Wolves (A; Oct. 19)
Incident: Raul Jimenez goal ruled out for offside against Patrick Cutrone, 42nd minute - FOR

Game: West Ham (H; Dec. 14)
Incident: Goal for Michail Antonio ruled out for handball, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Dec. 2
Incident: Goal for Max Meyer ruled out for offside by Wilfried Zaha in the build-up, 15th minute - FOR

Fans at Plymouth, an even more unpopular journey for match officials, must be hoping that they will get VAR in their league too.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 13:52]

But Sheffield United and Norwich are 2 of the clubs who’ve lost out to VAR most so far, clubs that aren’t much different to us. I can’t see how Saints would’ve been victimised any more than clubs like that over the years.

Liverpool/VAR on 14:42 - Dec 30 with 632 viewsMessysaints

Liverpool/VAR on 14:26 - Dec 30 by Ingskneeslide

In that instance the rules weren't applied fairly at all. The ref got in the way of the ball and physically stopped a Sheffield United counter-attack, City then immediately go forward and score. Under the new rules it should have been a drop ball with possession given to United, instead they went 1-0 down. VAR could easily have applied the rules but allowed the goal to stand. I'm not arguing that VAR hasn't evened things up a bit but to argue it's perfect and offers a completely level playing field like you are is absurd.

I see no mention of that, only the goal they scored by being offside, but ofc you can't blame var for the reffs error. If th e ref didn't stop play it's his fault, var is not here to ref the game but to show if some one is offside or if the players did some thing who nd, not to see if the ref got in the way...
Liverpool/VAR on 14:46 - Dec 30 with 628 viewsBazza

Liverpool/VAR on 14:28 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

But Sheffield United and Norwich are 2 of the clubs who’ve lost out to VAR most so far, clubs that aren’t much different to us. I can’t see how Saints would’ve been victimised any more than clubs like that over the years.

The point is that VAR properly implemented is more accurate than any linesmen and without any bias. I even remember a scientific TV documentary showing it is impossible to judge with the human eye the timing of a 30 yard pass simultaneously against the attacker sprinting.

If you are offside, you are offside not just a little bit. Just as you can't be a little bit pregnant, just pregnant or not. Maybe the rule should be any part of an attacker goalside of the defender is offside.
What could be improved is the speed of communication and showing the VAR on the big screens.
Liverpool/VAR on 15:53 - Dec 30 with 581 viewsNYC_Saint

Liverpool/VAR on 14:46 - Dec 30 by Bazza

The point is that VAR properly implemented is more accurate than any linesmen and without any bias. I even remember a scientific TV documentary showing it is impossible to judge with the human eye the timing of a 30 yard pass simultaneously against the attacker sprinting.

If you are offside, you are offside not just a little bit. Just as you can't be a little bit pregnant, just pregnant or not. Maybe the rule should be any part of an attacker goalside of the defender is offside.
What could be improved is the speed of communication and showing the VAR on the big screens.

Surely it means players need to reset how they time their runs effectively. Someone with Zaha’s pace has no excuse trying to be dead level with a defender - he can make sure he always a foot behind and still be very successful. Similarly defenders can be more confident trying to squeeze up the back line. It will just take a bit of tine for coaching staff to work out how to best use it. I sort of see both sides of the argument when it’s so marginal but we’ve clearly benefitted from it so far this season so maybe there has been a bias removed which as Saints fans we would all welcome.
Liverpool/VAR on 16:27 - Dec 30 with 565 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool/VAR on 14:28 - Dec 30 by Bicester_North

I must admit it had never occurred to me until someone who knew a few match officials told me just how unpopular the journey to the south coast was with referees, most of whom live in the north. Sheffield is in an ideal location for them to get back home the same day.

Martin Atkinson - Dewsbury
Anthony Taylor - Wythenshawe
Mike Dean - Wirral
Michael Oliver - Northumberland
Kevin Friend - Leicester
Chris Kavanagh - Lancashire
Paul Tierney - Wigan
Jonathan Moss - Sunderland
Andre Marriner - Birmingham
Graham Scott - Abingdon
Craig Pawson - Sheffield
Stuart Attwell - Nuneaton
David Coote - Nottingham
Lee Mason - Bolton (born in Portsmouth)

Of course, there are a lot of other factors but over the years it has been apparent that Southampton are not a popular team with officials and that it's far easier for them to give a close decision against us than some other teams, one reason being that they will get less flak.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 17:24]

Liverpool/VAR on 16:50 - Dec 30 with 544 viewsMarcus_y

Has it been mentioned yet that having a hand or shoulder ahead of the defender is NOT gaining an advantage as one runs with his feet and legs, not his hands. Surely the line should only apply to foot positioning, no?

You're nothing but a lot of talk n'a' badge.

Liverpool/VAR on 17:00 - Dec 30 with 540 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool/VAR on 16:50 - Dec 30 by Marcus_y

Has it been mentioned yet that having a hand or shoulder ahead of the defender is NOT gaining an advantage as one runs with his feet and legs, not his hands. Surely the line should only apply to foot positioning, no?

As far as I know, the offside rule has always stipulated that a player can be offside with any part of his body that can legally play the ball, and a number of goals have been scored with shoulders and chests over the years. A lot of players go offside when they lean forward ahead of the defensive line in order to get a bit of a start.

The arm and hand still can't be offside. That's not changed.

They may well take a fresh look at the offside rule - some years ago they experimented for one season with having 'daylight' between players - but as long as it's the same for everyone, it's still fair. Fairness and impartiality are what VAR is all about.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 17:01]

Liverpool/VAR on 20:54 - Dec 30 with 485 viewshedgeend61

VAR is the single and biggest attack on the heart and soul of the game in all these years,
It goes right to the heart of football and destroys it, and still, some people sit and defend the wrongful application of it rather than the destruction of the instant emotion, joy, and sheer mentalness it brings to the fan, the things you can only ever really experience at football.

Nowadays,we settle back half hearted wondering if the goal will stand, and try and muster that emotion we felt when then ball hit the net if the goal is finally confirmed by the lines and the crayons kids, back in their little computer playhouse.Football is about instant. Instant joy. Instant despair,even if sometimes they get it wrong and the refs will get it wrong. I'll accept that. Because it's far better than this sanitised game we now watch.
Football will die a slow death over this.

VAR has no consideration for the match going fan. It’s just an added level of excitement for those watching on TV( they can make a cuppa or boil an egg whilst awaiting a decision) the place where the majority of money in football is generated now. We can only hope that they’ve gone one step too far and VAR will lead to emptier stadiums which in turn makes the ‘product’ less appealing.

Over 20 goals have been chalked off this season, some a toenail offside, clear and obvious? what nonsense. Fans go to games to see goals and attacking play, bring back giving the advantage to the forward with offside only given when clear daylight between the last defender. It's an entertainment business ffs

Whats the answer?, just use the VAR to see if the ball has crossed the line for a goal, an important, factual decision, not the clear and obvious opinions from Stockley Park that can take 3 minutes.
Liverpool/VAR on 20:57 - Dec 30 with 481 viewsBlue

Liverpool/VAR on 14:26 - Dec 30 by Ingskneeslide

The ball didn't touch the referee at all, that's why he didn't stop the game.

Harsh way to concede a goal, but had the Sheffield United player's pass been better, it wouldn't have happened.

Nothing warranted stopping the game, according to the laws of football.

Still stood in the Kippax

Liverpool/VAR on 21:36 - Dec 30 with 456 viewsHappy_Jack

Liverpool/VAR on 20:54 - Dec 30 by hedgeend61

VAR is the single and biggest attack on the heart and soul of the game in all these years,
It goes right to the heart of football and destroys it, and still, some people sit and defend the wrongful application of it rather than the destruction of the instant emotion, joy, and sheer mentalness it brings to the fan, the things you can only ever really experience at football.

Nowadays,we settle back half hearted wondering if the goal will stand, and try and muster that emotion we felt when then ball hit the net if the goal is finally confirmed by the lines and the crayons kids, back in their little computer playhouse.Football is about instant. Instant joy. Instant despair,even if sometimes they get it wrong and the refs will get it wrong. I'll accept that. Because it's far better than this sanitised game we now watch.

VAR has no consideration for the match going fan. It’s just an added level of excitement for those watching on TV( they can make a cuppa or boil an egg whilst awaiting a decision) the place where the majority of money in football is generated now. We can only hope that they’ve gone one step too far and VAR will lead to emptier stadiums which in turn makes the ‘product’ less appealing.

Over 20 goals have been chalked off this season, some a toenail offside, clear and obvious? what nonsense. Fans go to games to see goals and attacking play, bring back giving the advantage to the forward with offside only given when clear daylight between the last defender. It's an entertainment business ffs

Whats the answer?, just use the VAR to see if the ball has crossed the line for a goal, an important, factual decision, not the clear and obvious opinions from Stockley Park that can take 3 minutes.

Absolutely spot on.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Liverpool/VAR on 21:39 - Dec 30 with 451 viewsIngskneeslide

Liverpool/VAR on 20:57 - Dec 30 by Blue

The ball didn't touch the referee at all, that's why he didn't stop the game.

Harsh way to concede a goal, but had the Sheffield United player's pass been better, it wouldn't have happened.

Nothing warranted stopping the game, according to the laws of football.

i thought you might say that
Liverpool/VAR on 21:41 - Dec 30 with 440 viewsBlue

Liverpool/VAR on 21:39 - Dec 30 by Ingskneeslide

i thought you might say that

It's true mate.

I'm up-front about stuff like that, had it hit the ref and he didn't stop the game, I'd be one of the first to say they were hard done by.

Still stood in the Kippax

Liverpool/VAR on 22:29 - Dec 30 with 410 viewsHeisenberg

Liverpool/VAR on 20:54 - Dec 30 by hedgeend61

Totally agree.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024