Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
interesting facts 10:08 - Jan 9 with 680 viewssaint22

It’s that first part — the boldness and aggression — that really stands out. Southampton have realigned with Hasenhüttl’s principles and become truly horrible to play against — you can see it, and advanced statistics back it up vividly.

Passes [allowed] per defensive action (PPDA) measures how often teams disrupt opponents; the lower the number, the fewer passes you allow to be strung together.

Southampton (9.12) have the strongest score in the league — ahead of Leicester (9.15) and Liverpool (9.51). For contrast, Newcastle United register an impressively passive (19.22).

Similarly, if you tally up all duels, tackles and interceptions per minute of opposition possession, Southampton record the strongest number (6.9). Again, for contrast, Newcastle are weakest again, with (4.8).
interesting facts on 10:11 - Jan 9 with 665 viewsBuggalugs

Perfect, no new signings required.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

interesting facts on 10:12 - Jan 9 with 664 viewsChopChop

No one cares about stats mush.

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

interesting facts on 10:31 - Jan 9 with 633 viewsSonicBoom

I've always thought pressing was a good way to play.
One of my managers years ago told a team I was playing for that if you get in the opposition faces and press the ball sooner or later they will give it back to you. No team can keep the ball indefinitely.
OK, if you are playing City or Liverpool they can play around the press and be at your back line before you know it. But most teams can't make more than 5 or 6 passes under pressure before one goes astray.
Ralph came in with this fanfare about the pressing game but he seemed to lose confidence in it. It seems we are back at it and all the better for it.
interesting facts on 10:52 - Jan 9 with 610 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

interesting facts on 10:31 - Jan 9 by SonicBoom

I've always thought pressing was a good way to play.
One of my managers years ago told a team I was playing for that if you get in the opposition faces and press the ball sooner or later they will give it back to you. No team can keep the ball indefinitely.
OK, if you are playing City or Liverpool they can play around the press and be at your back line before you know it. But most teams can't make more than 5 or 6 passes under pressure before one goes astray.
Ralph came in with this fanfare about the pressing game but he seemed to lose confidence in it. It seems we are back at it and all the better for it.

In the past, the long ball teams were able to defeat the press by constantly pinging balls forward and missing out huge chunks of the pitch, the difference I think now is that the team seem more willing to press much higher up the pitch, so the opposition defence has to rush; Ings especially is brilliant at this.

He not only brings goals, but that work rate as well. He's turned (back) into an absolutely outstanding player.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

interesting facts on 11:30 - Jan 9 with 580 viewsButty101

interesting facts on 10:52 - Jan 9 by Gennaro_Contaldo

In the past, the long ball teams were able to defeat the press by constantly pinging balls forward and missing out huge chunks of the pitch, the difference I think now is that the team seem more willing to press much higher up the pitch, so the opposition defence has to rush; Ings especially is brilliant at this.

He not only brings goals, but that work rate as well. He's turned (back) into an absolutely outstanding player.

I have to hold my hand up and say i was one of those saying why are we signing Ings. Last season with all his injury problems it looked madness. However what aplayer he has been this year. Only needs one chance and has created several of his own by pressing.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

interesting facts on 11:35 - Jan 9 with 577 viewsSonicBoom

Yep I agree.
Although I don't think his talent has ever been in doubt. The Liverpool fans really liked him and even Klopp got misty eyed when he left.
He arrived at a time when we already had Austin who fulfilled the role of overpaid permanently injured forward, so Ings appeared more of a risk than ever.

He has certainly come good though. Let's hope he really is over all his injuries. If he's fit I think we'll stay up. 5 or 6 weeks ago I couldn't see us winning another game all season !
interesting facts on 12:04 - Jan 9 with 549 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

interesting facts on 11:30 - Jan 9 by Butty101

I have to hold my hand up and say i was one of those saying why are we signing Ings. Last season with all his injury problems it looked madness. However what aplayer he has been this year. Only needs one chance and has created several of his own by pressing.

Likewise - I thought the club were stupid. Like many fans, I should remember that I'm not paid to hire the players the squad needs, they are ;)

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

interesting facts on 16:47 - Jan 9 with 455 viewskingslandstand1

interesting facts on 10:11 - Jan 9 by Buggalugs

Perfect, no new signings required.

Not even 2 CB's?
Login to get fewer ads

interesting facts on 16:51 - Jan 9 with 444 viewsBicester_North

interesting facts on 16:47 - Jan 9 by kingslandstand1

Not even 2 CB's?

Or 3

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for