Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday's ref 16:38 - Jan 26 with 7543 viewsalbert_park

I know his performance is mentioned on other threads but read what Grimsby fans thought of him recently.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news
Yesterday's ref on 17:00 - Jan 26 with 6258 viewsalbert_park

Sorry, wrong link!
Yesterday's ref on 17:14 - Jan 26 with 6202 viewsmeeee

Is this the link your looking for?

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-mansfiel
Yesterday's ref on 17:19 - Jan 26 with 6189 viewsJames1980

Maybe his Lancastrian roots led to him meant he was concerned about being accused of bias yesterday and he over compensated.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Yesterday's ref on 19:44 - Jan 26 with 5987 viewsDalenet

Yesterday's ref on 17:19 - Jan 26 by James1980

Maybe his Lancastrian roots led to him meant he was concerned about being accused of bias yesterday and he over compensated.

He wasn't clever enough to do that. I wonder whether the assessors were in the main stand because of his recent performances or whether it is just normal to assess them regularly in person. He must be demoted to a lower level after that display though as he had no understanding of the rules of the game. Is it true that the managers submit a rating to the league after each game or have I dreamed that?
Yesterday's ref on 19:59 - Jan 26 with 5938 viewsTVOS1907

Yesterday's ref on 19:44 - Jan 26 by Dalenet

He wasn't clever enough to do that. I wonder whether the assessors were in the main stand because of his recent performances or whether it is just normal to assess them regularly in person. He must be demoted to a lower level after that display though as he had no understanding of the rules of the game. Is it true that the managers submit a rating to the league after each game or have I dreamed that?

There are assessors (now called Observers) at every game throughout all the leagues.

The clubs still send in their marks.

There's no doubt he had a poor game and dropped some very important clangers, but next week he might have a really good game and not cause such a furore.

Such is the way with humans.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Yesterday's ref on 20:01 - Jan 26 with 5928 viewsrochdaleriddler

Yesterday's ref on 19:59 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

There are assessors (now called Observers) at every game throughout all the leagues.

The clubs still send in their marks.

There's no doubt he had a poor game and dropped some very important clangers, but next week he might have a really good game and not cause such a furore.

Such is the way with humans.

I’m betting he has 1 good game in a hundred

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Yesterday's ref on 20:02 - Jan 26 with 5927 viewsmacro

Uriah Rennie and Phil Down were the observers yesterday, they were both having a meal before the game.
Yesterday's ref on 06:58 - Jan 27 with 5676 viewsSandyman

He was abysmal at Halifax too:
http://www.theshaymen.net/ipb/topic/17504-fao-paul-marsden-aka-worlds-most-inept
And Fleetwood
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/barton-expects-fine-and-touchline-ban-aft
And Cambridge
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/sport/colin-calderwood-rues-referees-decisions-
And Sunderland
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-a
Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday's ref on 10:02 - Jan 27 with 5460 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

They even took the mickey out of him on Quest, showing the blatant push in Wilbraham`s back when he looked odds on to score.
Yesterday's ref on 10:05 - Jan 27 with 5454 viewsPotterDale

Yesterday's ref on 19:44 - Jan 26 by Dalenet

I always wonder why it is referees are dropped down the leagues for being poor. I understand if you are particularly good, then of course you should referee at the highest level. My confusion though is, if you are inept and make too many bad decisions which lead to consistently low marks from managers of both teams, then how is it fair to impose that on players further down the pyramid? If you are not good enough to referee in the Championship then you are not good enough to referee in the Evo-Stick League.
Yesterday's ref on 10:53 - Jan 27 with 5348 viewsD_Alien

Yesterday's ref on 10:05 - Jan 27 by PotterDale

I always wonder why it is referees are dropped down the leagues for being poor. I understand if you are particularly good, then of course you should referee at the highest level. My confusion though is, if you are inept and make too many bad decisions which lead to consistently low marks from managers of both teams, then how is it fair to impose that on players further down the pyramid? If you are not good enough to referee in the Championship then you are not good enough to referee in the Evo-Stick League.

It's a fair point

The real question, though, is how he got to be officiating at this level in the first place. He must've been through all the assessments and progressed up through the leagues. Is it the extra pace of the game that creates a problem for him? Or he simply can't handle the additional pressure?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Yesterday's ref on 11:01 - Jan 27 with 5331 views49thseason

Yesterday's ref on 10:05 - Jan 27 by PotterDale

It always seems to me that a lot of these weak referees have never actually played the game since they left Primary school. They do not seem to have any concept of the ebb and flow of the game and do far too much ball watching and not enough time having those quiet little conversations with the players that let them know they saw the little dig, the passing nudge that push, that fake trip. That encourages more of it and simply leads to panic decisions or in the case of this referee, no decisions at all for fear of being confronted. Weak as water, unfamiliar with the rules and not someone the players take seriously. One of these days he will be the root cause of a very serious injury and should be removed from the referees list as soon as possible.
Yesterday's ref on 11:02 - Jan 27 with 5330 viewsdawlishdale

Yesterday's ref on 10:53 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

It's a fair point

The real question, though, is how he got to be officiating at this level in the first place. He must've been through all the assessments and progressed up through the leagues. Is it the extra pace of the game that creates a problem for him? Or he simply can't handle the additional pressure?

I thought he kept up with play quite well, but simply made awful decisions. Not just against Dale (although mainly so). He wasn't helped by his assistants though, who themselves made several errors...and neither was he helped by the fourth official, who had his hands full dealing with fatty Evans and his equally horrible sidekick.

I really hope something is done about this referee, because it's clear that this isn't a one off based on Sandymans research (and more that I found myself ...Grimsby v Mansfield recently being another example where he infuriated the fans and Management)

As mentioned elsewhere, sooner or later, one of his bad decisions might result in a serious injury, or crowd trouble. Never have I seen the Main Stand so angry with a referee at the final whistle.
Yesterday's ref on 11:44 - Jan 27 with 5255 viewsrochdaleriddler

Yesterday's ref on 10:53 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

It's a fair point

I don’t understand how the poor referees always seem to be teamed up with poor assistants , the incident where Luke was virtually in the main stand when he played the ball back into play was the worst miss by a lino that I have ever seen. The ball was at least two feet over the line! The Lino on the other side missed all their fouls

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Yesterday's ref on 12:25 - Jan 27 with 5193 viewsboromat

There was a clear Gills offside in the first half as well that was missed. Must have been 4 or 5 yards off but received the ball just as he was back on.

It would be nice to see ex pro footballers go into refereeing and see if we get an improvement. There should be incentives to help promote this.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Yesterday's ref on 12:38 - Jan 27 with 5150 viewsD_Alien

Yesterday's ref on 11:44 - Jan 27 by rochdaleriddler

I don’t understand how the poor referees always seem to be teamed up with poor assistants , the incident where Luke was virtually in the main stand when he played the ball back into play was the worst miss by a lino that I have ever seen. The ball was at least two feet over the line! The Lino on the other side missed all their fouls

A conspiracy theorist might think the FL assessment people know the three of them are incompetent but needed them to demonstrate it conclusively before taking action to demote them. The two assessors were fairly senior and well-known

"I know, let's give them Dale v Gillingham, that should do the trick"

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Yesterday's ref on 14:31 - Jan 27 with 5036 viewsjonahwhereru

Yesterday's ref on 12:25 - Jan 27 by boromat

There was a clear Gills offside in the first half as well that was missed. Must have been 4 or 5 yards off but received the ball just as he was back on.

It would be nice to see ex pro footballers go into refereeing and see if we get an improvement. There should be incentives to help promote this.

Read an article a few years back, I pretty sure it was about John Deary but am happy to be corrected, who qualified as a ref and made his way up the ladder a little. He said he has unlikely to progress any further because he was to inclined to keep his cards in his pocket, and at that time that was not what the FA liked to see. Instead he liked a word.
Tbh don’t think we see enough of a word being said, these days, or the captains being spoke to in order to calm things down. I remember Holty one time at Southend had been booked as usual. Them committed another 3 fouls. The ref spoke with him and pointed to the area on the pitch where each offence had happened, but did no more. Thankfully that was message received and he completed the game.
Yesterday's ref on 14:42 - Jan 27 with 5022 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Yesterday's ref on 12:38 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

A conspiracy theorist might think the FL assessment people know the three of them are incompetent but needed them to demonstrate it conclusively before taking action to demote them. The two assessors were fairly senior and well-known

"I know, let's give them Dale v Gillingham, that should do the trick"

A Trio of Tossers?
Yesterday's ref on 15:27 - Jan 27 with 4947 viewsDaleiLama

Was it only me who found the original "Refwatch" post highly amusing?

To quote "Refwatch: Dale v Gillingham, Friday, 24th Jan 2020 18:00 by TVOS
Paul Marsden will sort of referee Dale for the second time when we entertain Gillingham on Saturday"

Apologies to TVOS for taking his comment completely out of context, but the irony of it, when viewed in isolation, was too good not to share!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Yesterday's ref on 23:27 - Jan 27 with 4525 viewswindowsbug

Yesterday's ref on 14:31 - Jan 27 by jonahwhereru

Read an article a few years back, I pretty sure it was about John Deary but am happy to be corrected, who qualified as a ref and made his way up the ladder a little. He said he has unlikely to progress any further because he was to inclined to keep his cards in his pocket, and at that time that was not what the FA liked to see. Instead he liked a word.
Tbh don’t think we see enough of a word being said, these days, or the captains being spoke to in order to calm things down. I remember Holty one time at Southend had been booked as usual. Them committed another 3 fouls. The ref spoke with him and pointed to the area on the pitch where each offence had happened, but did no more. Thankfully that was message received and he completed the game.

As far as I know, Steve Baines was the only ex player to become a league referee.
Yesterday's ref on 00:23 - Jan 28 with 4490 viewsmikehunt

Have some of that!

I was actually looking for What A Referee by Billy Cotton and His Band but you’ll have to have this instead.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 0:30]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Yesterday's ref on 05:36 - Jan 28 with 4427 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Yesterday's ref on 00:23 - Jan 28 by mikehunt

Have some of that!

I was actually looking for What A Referee by Billy Cotton and His Band but you’ll have to have this instead.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 0:30]

Brilliant, and so spot on. Yes THAT ref was bad on Saturday, however the majority of refs are decent, and have a lot to put up with , whinging, whining crying players and managers. How right about the badge kissing, most players like most employees don’t have loyalty to the clubs that employ them, they would happily leave if a better job was offered.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Yesterday's ref on 05:44 - Jan 28 with 4421 viewsjacko_dale

Yesterday's ref on 23:27 - Jan 27 by windowsbug

As far as I know, Steve Baines was the only ex player to become a league referee.

Could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere a few months back that Peter Vincenti was training to become a ref. Will be interesting to see how far he goes with it.
Yesterday's ref on 18:52 - Feb 3 with 4040 viewsSandyman

Could be interesting watch tonight given the dark humour this series employs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f1t9

Inside No. 9

The Referee's A...
Inside No. 9

The beautiful game. The crunch clash between United and Rovers in the last match of the season, all safely in the care of the four match officials.

David Morrissey, Ralf Little, Dipo Ola and Steve Speirs join Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton for a tale of promotion, relegation, corruption and so, so much more.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 21:07]
Yesterday's ref on 19:07 - Feb 3 with 3991 viewsdingdangblue

Yesterday's ref on 18:52 - Feb 3 by Sandyman

Could be interesting watch tonight given the dark humour this series employs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f1t9

Inside No. 9

The Referee's A...
Inside No. 9

The beautiful game. The crunch clash between United and Rovers in the last match of the season, all safely in the care of the four match officials.

David Morrissey, Ralf Little, Dipo Ola and Steve Speirs join Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton for a tale of promotion, relegation, corruption and so, so much more.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 21:07]

I'd never watched this till last year (managed to binge it on iplayer) - it's a brilliantly written series - anyone who's never seen it needs to. There are some sensational stories and it's one of my favourite shows now of all time, very clever. Personal favourites are Bernie Cliftons dressing room and the one with Sheridan Smith in it, and the moving house one with the scenes going in reverse order, and the one in the Chinese restaurant - there are so many.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 19:33]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024