Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is broken beyond repair 13:02 - Feb 12 with 5246 viewsfranniesTache

Nothing new in here really, and i assume most of us probably agree with it all, but it's a good read non the less.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-sup
Football is broken beyond repair on 19:01 - Feb 13 with 1166 viewsChopChop

Football is broken beyond repair on 15:31 - Feb 12 by franniesTache

I go to football to watch Saints not the opposition, the "biggest" game to me is the one that means the most, not the one with the most famous players. The game this season that'll be the biggest is the one where we smashed a small provincial league one side 4-0 in their own backyard in a cup many think is irrelevant.

Football is a day out with my mates, a chance to see my family, pride in my city, my heritage and an excuse for a p*ss up and a laugh (and a way to vent and let off steam from the week).

I love Southampton, i love the city, i love it's history, i love my roots, history and heritage. Playing the "big" teams doesn't change that one bit.

So no, no i don't give a f*ck if they f*ck off and take the cancer that is money, tourists, plastics and overseas fans, hype, media and noddy c*nts talking about stats and transfers with them.

In fact i'll celebrate it, because i hate everything they stand for.

Hear hear.

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

Football is broken beyond repair on 21:28 - Feb 13 with 1123 viewsfranniesTache

Football is broken beyond repair on 19:00 - Feb 13 by ChopChop

Reckon you two should start up a twitter account extolling these virtues...

That'd be sh*t mush, way too f*cking negative
Football is broken beyond repair on 21:34 - Feb 13 with 1114 viewshedgeend61

From the article,

“People think there must be a lot of thinking in this Premier League,”
the late Graham Taylor said at the time.
“There is none … I think a lot of this is based on greed.”

He's not wrong
Football is broken beyond repair on 04:13 - Feb 14 with 1080 viewsBuenosSaint

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:59 - Feb 12 by dirk_doone

People keep going on about 'the top six' but they are different every year. Even Saints were in the top 6 in 2016 and Liverpool and Chelsea weren't. The current top six are Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea, Sheffield United & Spurs. The top six in 2016 were Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man United & Southampton.

Assuming Liverpool will become champions for the first time in 30 years, there will have been 5 different Premier League winners in 8 years. Next season, there will almost certainly be a different top six yet again.

The main reason we are not competing for a top six place this season is that we have particularly unambitious owners. Any club of our size, with ambitious owners, like Leicester, Wolves or Sheffield United, can break into the top six.

You say that a lot dirk but the instances you mention are rare outliers. Did you read the article posted by the OP? Good to have your views on that directly as I feel it gives the bigger and full overall picture/trend.

Great read as others also stated but in honesty I found it a bit depressing in the end and it took off yet another chunk of my interest in PL football.

Poll: The Long Future

Football is broken beyond repair on 11:31 - Feb 14 with 1036 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

To try a paint a picture of slight improvement in PL competitiveness is rather simplistic. If you look at the previous last 10 years, we had 4 clubs always in the top 6. In the last 10 years, apart from six occasions we now have 6 clubs generally making the top 6.

All that has happened is the competitiveness has broadened to include 2 additional perennial top 6 finishers ie both Spurs and M City, who have finished in the top 6 every single season in the last decade.

In the last 3 seasons, all 6 clubs have finished in the top six, so you could easily argue that it has got worse since Leicester won.

It’s all related to money, worldwide TV deals for the top 6, academies now poaching youngsters from any club they want, super-size squads etc.

T C A M L MC
2000 10th 5th 2nd 1st 4th 22nd
2001 12th 6th 2nd 1st 3rd 18th
2002 9th 6th 1st 3rd 2nd 21st
2003 10th 4th 2nd 1st 5th 9th
2004 14th 2nd 1st 3rd 4th 16th
2005 9th 1st 2nd 3rd 5th 8th
2006 5th 1st 4th 2nd 3rd 15th
2007 5th 2nd 4th 1st 3rd 14th
2008 11th 2nd 3rd 1st 4th 9th
2009 8th 3rd 4th 1st 2nd 10th
2010 4th 1st 3rd 2nd 7th 5th
2011 5th 2nd 4th 1st 6th 3rd
2012 4th 6th 3rd 2nd 8th 1st
2013 5th 3rd 4th 1st 7th 2nd
2014 6th 3rd 4th 7th 2nd 1st
2015 5th 1st 3rd 4th 6th 2nd
2016 3rd 10th 2nd 5th 8th 4th
2017 2nd 1st 5th 6th 4th 3rd
2018 3rd 5th 6th 2nd 4th 1st
2019 4th 3rd 5th 6th 2nd 1st

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Football is broken beyond repair on 12:45 - Feb 14 with 1014 viewsCapt_Koons

Football is broken beyond repair on 15:31 - Feb 12 by franniesTache

I go to football to watch Saints not the opposition, the "biggest" game to me is the one that means the most, not the one with the most famous players. The game this season that'll be the biggest is the one where we smashed a small provincial league one side 4-0 in their own backyard in a cup many think is irrelevant.

Football is a day out with my mates, a chance to see my family, pride in my city, my heritage and an excuse for a p*ss up and a laugh (and a way to vent and let off steam from the week).

I love Southampton, i love the city, i love it's history, i love my roots, history and heritage. Playing the "big" teams doesn't change that one bit.

So no, no i don't give a f*ck if they f*ck off and take the cancer that is money, tourists, plastics and overseas fans, hype, media and noddy c*nts talking about stats and transfers with them.

In fact i'll celebrate it, because i hate everything they stand for.

100% agree with all this, and the hope for a European Super league.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

Football is broken beyond repair on 14:04 - Feb 14 with 987 viewsfranniesTache

Part two of the article, and this hits the nail on the head.

"One of the huge problems inherent to this is the global mass of supporters that the 11 biggest clubs are developing, at the expense of everyone else. It is a huge factor in disparity."

And there we have it, in black and white, plastics are a cancer on the game.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-sup
Football is broken beyond repair (n/t) on 15:05 - Feb 14 with 957 viewsDellHero

Football is broken beyond repair on 14:04 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

Part two of the article, and this hits the nail on the head.

"One of the huge problems inherent to this is the global mass of supporters that the 11 biggest clubs are developing, at the expense of everyone else. It is a huge factor in disparity."

And there we have it, in black and white, plastics are a cancer on the game.

[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 12:43]
Login to get fewer ads

Football is broken beyond repair on 15:12 - Feb 14 with 950 viewsButty101

Football is broken beyond repair (n/t) on 15:05 - Feb 14 by DellHero

[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 12:43]

NewOrder Power Corruption Lies

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024