Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Missing football? 23:28 - Apr 19 with 4377 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I've said I'm not missing football, but what I actually think is that I'm not missing modern premier league football.

I've now watched a couple of the Match of the Day specials with Linekar, Shearer and Wright in their houses talking about top 10s. They talk a LOT about 90s players, football and events. I miss 90s football, for me it was the last of proper football.

Any thoughts?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Missing football? on 14:24 - Apr 20 with 760 viewsthis_charming_man

Missing football? on 13:59 - Apr 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Do you teach 'down South'? If so, that's really sad - that's the other thing I think the clubs have messed up is the junior Saints stuff. In the 80s I remember it being about winning tickets, getting priority tickets (although obviously the Dell was limited in capacity anyway) and maybe winning the chance of being a mascot. I'm not sure they do that!?

I signed my son up to it a couple of years ago and he got a window sticker and birthday card. The card was a decent touch, but it all feels so disconnected and over-marketed, just as you say, it's overkill with the amount on TV. All hype.

St Marys is a weird one too which has changed things, I like the area and the walk to the ground, inner city, feels like a city club, but I hate the inside of the ground - I know the Dell was a wreck and Saints would've gone out of business (potentially), but we ALL miss it and loyal greats like Le Tissier.

I didn't actually mind Liverpool in the 80s either, Rush, Dalgliesh, Hansen, Aldridge etc - maybe I was younger but I don't remember them being irritating!? Mind you, again, they weren't on TV all the time talking absolute crap.

Junior Saints used to be great, i was a member for 3 or 4 years when the section used to on the east stand benches. Im pretty sure you used to get a membership card, signed picture of your favourite player, a junior saints certificate and a few others bits plus a free ticket on your birthday and it was only about a fiver year. They also used to do football competitions and junior saints of the month plus when it was your birthday your name in the echo. They also used to run a coach to away games which i went on a a few times. Played the other teams junior fans before the game then went to the match, would be the other way round when they visited Saints.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Missing football? on 17:10 - Apr 20 with 729 viewsTimSaint

It is almost like the season has finished already and we are on summer break - but obviously without the final placings and the Euros !!

I miss actually going to the games - home games with our usual crowd of 6 or 7 and also the away games be it with the same lot, or when we go by train and have a good few beers and a bit of banter.

As others have said on here already, my MOTD viewing has become a little more selective. I watch the Saints game and listen to the (very limited Saints) analysis afterwards, but tend to FF through to the boring games and only watch the high scores or if there is a particularly good goal.

I was up in the loft earlier and have managed to find my box of Saints VHS Tapes and DVDs. I also found the VHS player !! I have loads of Season Highlights compilations and other titles such MOTD Saints, Jimmy Case's Saints XI, as well as some 1st Div and Prem League goals / saves of the season. (Can provide a full list if anyone is curious !!)

If I set it up in the other room and reminisce for a couple of hours, at least it will give the missus some time to watch some of the rubbish she is into :-)

TimSaint

Missing football? on 19:14 - Apr 20 with 682 viewsSaintsforeverj

Miss football for the trip to London on the train, chatting to other fans at service stations for away games, miss seeing Saints, especially when they win. But it's not the same as it used to be.

Players live in their own bubble. They are paid far too much. Getting paid more in a week, than the PM or a doctor earns in a year is rediculous. Clubs, including ours are just there to make money (executive away travel, bar memberships, 55 pounds a ticket). The sport is not a competitive sport anymore. It is all about money. It is also about social engineering. It's all nicey nicey and helplines / report lines for saying a naughty word.

As was shown on MOTD, players hugging each other before a massive derby doesn't really sit well with me. The fans passionately desperate for a win in the stands, players cudling each other in the tunnel. The game of the past seems to have gone. It's more a performance now with leather seats, fire works and light displays.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 19:17]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024