Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Doors 12:53 - Apr 29 with 1330 viewsSaintNick

Never been able to get into them although so many people tell me they were legendary

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Doors on 12:54 - Apr 29 with 1148 viewsthis_charming_man

Didn’t like them, smashed up all their CDs I had and put them into a jar

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

The Doors on 13:11 - Apr 29 with 1127 viewsSadoldgit

Riders On The Storm, Light My Fire, The End all excellent. Can take or leave most of their other stuff.
The Doors on 13:16 - Apr 29 with 1125 viewsRednWight

Fit some handle

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

The Doors on 13:18 - Apr 29 with 1124 viewsMr_Happy

The Doors on 13:11 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

Riders On The Storm, Light My Fire, The End all excellent. Can take or leave most of their other stuff.

Sounds like you only listened to one album.

Here's some more excellent doors tracks.........

The relevant strange days.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

The Doors on 13:38 - Apr 29 with 1112 viewsdirk_doone

I only saw them live once.They played in a drugged haze. Morrison was so stoned he could barely walk across the stage and rambled his way through the songs, occasionally breaking into a high-pitched scream, but that's how he was most of the time. Hendrix was better live but not long after I saw them, they were both dead.

They wrote some memorable songs, which have lasted the test of time.

I remember the end more than the beginning or the bits in between.

[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:23]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Doors on 14:26 - Apr 29 with 1064 viewsSadoldgit

The Doors on 13:18 - Apr 29 by Mr_Happy

Sounds like you only listened to one album.

Here's some more excellent doors tracks.........

The relevant strange days.

I didn’t listen to much of their music at the time to be honest. I’ve listened to the Best of recently and still felt a bit meh about some of their stuff. I much prefer the English stuff from that period. A few years back I did have a cool version of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff recorded by Ray Manzarek if you are into classical music rocked up?
The Doors on 15:46 - Apr 29 with 1038 viewssaint22

The Doors on 13:11 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

They werent the complete band but they had some other great tracks aside from the obvious and Morrison was quite the front man
Five to One, Moonlight Drive, Love Her Madly, Wild Child, Roadhouse Blues, Indian Summer
The Doors on 17:04 - Apr 29 with 1003 viewsMytchettSaint

The Doors on 15:46 - Apr 29 by saint22

They werent the complete band but they had some other great tracks aside from the obvious and Morrison was quite the front man
Five to One, Moonlight Drive, Love Her Madly, Wild Child, Roadhouse Blues, Indian Summer

You have listed some of my favourite tracks of theirs there.

In the 90’s there was a tribute band - the Australian doors. I saw them a couple of times, they were good.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Login to get fewer ads

The Doors on 17:28 - Apr 29 with 985 viewsTimSaint

The Doors on 15:46 - Apr 29 by saint22

'When The Music's Over', 'Tell All The People', 'You're Lost Little Girl'.

TimSaint

The Doors on 17:40 - Apr 29 with 976 viewssaint22

The Doors on 17:04 - Apr 29 by MytchettSaint

You have listed some of my favourite tracks of theirs there.

In the 90’s there was a tribute band - the Australian doors. I saw them a couple of times, they were good.

Yes I saw that lot once at Exeter Uni early 90's
As tributes go not bad as you say
The Doors on 18:23 - Apr 29 with 953 viewsBison

The Doors on 17:40 - Apr 29 by saint22

Yes I saw that lot once at Exeter Uni early 90's
As tributes go not bad as you say

I saw the Australian Doors in Perth around the time the Oliver Stone film The Doors came out and again a few years later at Sheffield Uni they were fantastic. Billy idol went for the lead part but they gave it Val Kilmer instead and he got a smaller part.

Interestingly I fell in love in Perth that night with lead singer of this band who also played on same bill.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

The Doors on 18:27 - Apr 29 with 948 viewsSadoldgit

I remember that record well! Given some of the records that had been banned for sexual I couldn’t believe this one wasn’t! She was very fit!
The Doors on 20:23 - Apr 29 with 904 viewsdirk_doone

Nick, you have been to a hell of a lot of live gigs- much more than I have. So, who were the legendary solo artists and bands that stood out for you?

To be honest, most of my life, apart from my teens and early 20s, I've preferred classical music so, except for a few really outstanding musicians, I view most of them as light entertainment I only listen to when I'm driving.

The Doors on 20:32 - Apr 29 with 891 viewsSadoldgit

The Doors on 20:23 - Apr 29 by dirk_doone

Nick, you have been to a hell of a lot of live gigs- much more than I have. So, who were the legendary solo artists and bands that stood out for you?

To be honest, most of my life, apart from my teens and early 20s, I've preferred classical music so, except for a few really outstanding musicians, I view most of them as light entertainment I only listen to when I'm driving.

I used to like classical music which is what led me to prog rock. Went to many gigs by ELP, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant etc. in the 70’s. Never got to see the awesome Nice in the 60’s but was lucky enough to see them in 2004 when Keith Emerson took them and his own band on the road for a mixture of Nice and ELP classics.

Back to The Doors. Which is their best album? I will give it a listen tomorrow.
The Doors on 21:06 - Apr 29 with 877 viewsdirk_doone

The Doors on 20:32 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

I used to like classical music which is what led me to prog rock. Went to many gigs by ELP, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant etc. in the 70’s. Never got to see the awesome Nice in the 60’s but was lucky enough to see them in 2004 when Keith Emerson took them and his own band on the road for a mixture of Nice and ELP classics.

N/T
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 22:18]

The Doors on 21:19 - Apr 29 with 857 viewsSaintNick

The Doors on 20:23 - Apr 29 by dirk_doone

Most of the bands I have liked have been outside the mainstream and only ever had a limited following,

I loved the Smiths, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen i saw them a lot in the 1980's but the big halls weren't about then so the gigs were still quite intimate in ballrooms like the Top Rank or Hammersmith Palais.

The Stranglers were another favourite for me.

But it's hard to have an overall favourite, I find that my musical life has been divided into segments

1972- 77 Pre punk

1977-79 Punk

79-84 - post punk

84-90 - indie

After 1990 things became a lot less style led and more acceptable to like anything.

Top favourite bands you wont have heard of.

The Brilliant Corners
Shack
Pele
Amsterdam
Eyeless in Gaza
Camper Van Beethoven
Cracker
Accrington Stanley
Western Promise

The Doors on 21:25 - Apr 29 with 853 viewsSadoldgit

Don’t delete it, it is interesting. The ELP gig was in Plymouth, right? I didn’t get to see them until 1972 at the Hammersmith Odeon. I eventually got to meet both Greg Lake and Carl Palmer, sadly never Keith Emerson. My neighbour’s brother used to live next door to him in Chiddingly and has told me lots of stories about him. Sounds like a really cool guy. Sad about his suicide. I don’t go to many classical concerts although we usually go to the annual classical concert at Leeds Castle.
The Doors on 21:28 - Apr 29 with 853 viewsdirk_doone

The Doors on 21:19 - Apr 29 by SaintNick

Most of the bands I have liked have been outside the mainstream and only ever had a limited following,

I loved the Smiths, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen i saw them a lot in the 1980's but the big halls weren't about then so the gigs were still quite intimate in ballrooms like the Top Rank or Hammersmith Palais.

But it's hard to have an overall favourite, I find that my musical life has been divided into segments

1972- 77 Pre punk

1977-79 Punk

79-84 - post punk

84-90 - indie

After 1990 things became a lot less style led and more acceptable to like anything.

The Brilliant Corners
Shack
Pele
Amsterdam
Eyeless in Gaza
Camper Van Beethoven
Cracker
Accrington Stanley
Western Promise

You're spot on there, Nick - I haven't heard of most of them.

Our pop music tastes are very much driven by our age whereas classical music should, in theory, be for everyone but to be honest most of the audiences, including me, are in what Boris would term his 'nearly dead' category.

I'll give Camper van Beethoven and Accrington Stanley a try on YouTube.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:24]

The Doors on 21:54 - Apr 29 with 830 viewsSaintNick

The Doors on 21:28 - Apr 29 by dirk_doone

You're spot on there, Nick - I haven't heard of most of them.

Our pop music tastes are very much driven by our age whereas classical music should, in theory, be for everyone but to be honest most of the audiences, including me, are in what Boris would term his 'nearly dead' category.

I'll give Camper van Beethoven and Accrington Stanley a try on YouTube.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:24]

Accrington Stanley are a local band, Saints supporters came out around 1990 John Peel favourites, if you look on you tube a great video of them playing afestival in Japan

The Doors on 22:02 - Apr 29 with 824 viewsdirk_doone

The Doors on 21:54 - Apr 29 by SaintNick

Accrington Stanley are a local band, Saints supporters came out around 1990 John Peel favourites, if you look on you tube a great video of them playing afestival in Japan

I met John Peel at a music festival. He was with Andy Kershaw, who was a really nice bloke.

I quite like my first Camper van Beethoven song, They sound like an English version of Talking Heads.

The Doors on 22:13 - Apr 29 with 812 viewsdirk_doone

The Doors on 18:23 - Apr 29 by Bison

I saw the Australian Doors in Perth around the time the Oliver Stone film The Doors came out and again a few years later at Sheffield Uni they were fantastic. Billy idol went for the lead part but they gave it Val Kilmer instead and he got a smaller part.

Interestingly I fell in love in Perth that night with lead singer of this band who also played on same bill.

N/T
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:25]

The Doors on 22:19 - Apr 29 with 805 viewsSaintNick

The Doors on 22:02 - Apr 29 by dirk_doone

I met John Peel at a music festival. He was with Andy Kershaw, who was a really nice bloke.

I quite like my first Camper van Beethoven song, They sound like an English version of Talking Heads.

They are American, look up Take The Skinheads Bowling or their version of Astromine Domine

The Doors on 22:25 - Apr 29 with 798 viewsdirk_doone

The Doors on 22:19 - Apr 29 by SaintNick

They are American, look up Take The Skinheads Bowling or their version of Astromine Domine

Take the Skinheads Bowling was the one I listened to which made me think they sounded like Talking Heads.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:25]

The Doors on 23:39 - Apr 29 with 764 viewsMytchettSaint

The Doors on 21:19 - Apr 29 by SaintNick

1972- 77 Pre punk

1977-79 Punk

79-84 - post punk

84-90 - indie

The Brilliant Corners
Shack
Pele
Amsterdam
Eyeless in Gaza
Camper Van Beethoven
Cracker
Accrington Stanley
Western Promise

Amsterdam were fantastic, liked them best when Genevieve was the lead female vocalist. Attitunes is one of my favourite albums.
Pele as well.... you’re an Ian prowse fan then
Have you been watching his lockdown Facebook shows each Friday?

Amsterdam played the joiners the day we were relegated in 2005 if I remember correctly.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 23:40]

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

The Doors on 07:36 - Apr 30 with 660 viewssaint22

The Doors on 20:32 - Apr 29 by Sadoldgit

Tough one as none are really complete albums
The first
Morrison Hotel
LA Woman (helps if you know LA)
I like The Soft Parade too
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024