Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VE day 07:54 - May 7 with 2948 viewssaint22

What’s everyone doing to celebrate the freedom of Europe from tyranny in isolation on our isolated island separated from Europe?
VE day on 18:06 - May 7 with 601 viewsTheMoog

VE day on 17:38 - May 7 by Occasional_Showers

We are having front garden parties. We are having a barbecue with champagne, followed by Black Forest gateaux. Nom nom.

We’re doing that in our road. Most houses have bunting out already and I’ll be collecting a crate of Shepherd Neame Spitifre in the morning to compliment the picnic. Might even get the medals and regimental tie out if I’m feeling particularly nostalgic.

Standby to standby

VE day on 18:08 - May 7 with 591 viewsOccasional_Showers

VE day on 17:17 - May 7 by 1885_SFC

Over the years I have learnt so much about the whole of WW2 - the weapons, field gear, insignia, basically everything 'material' that was used by the Allies. That's where the core of my business is - house clearances, antique/military fairs & car boots, etc - finding & locating treasures from the era. It's true what antique dealers say; 'you never stop learning in this game'. I know several dealers off the telly personally that you see on daytime TV, including the big Pompey fan John Cameron who runs Nesbits Auctions in Southsea & Pompey girl Karen Dalmeny. Then there's Henry Nicholls who runs a shop in Worthing. They contact me or I them if they find anything in my line or I meet up with them at Kempton racecourse antiques fair twice a month (well worth a visit if you're looking for something unique or interesting btw!).

Having spent 12-years at sea, I had all the time in the world to read books & have lost count of how many I have read. Not all war stories or military of course (I'm a big fan of Frederick Forsyth, Wilbur Smith & the horror genre too), but read many books about the war by many 'ordinary' people who fought in it. I have read much about the politics & campaigns of the war... but the one thing, above all else, that always intrigues me & fascinates me is the personal accounts of the ordinary men that fought in it. I guess I have a special particular interest in the air crews - especially the RAF and USAF long range bomber crews and the horrific missions many of them flew. I'm not sure why, but they hold a special place in my soul (without sounding over dramatic). I have owned many WW2 RAF flight logbooks over the years that make fascinating reading; entries from young lads who flew RAF bombing missions on the Fiat factory in Italy for example or industrial factories deep into Germany. They make far better reading than any military author could write!

I never tire of reading & learning about it - and I'm forever amazed at what still turns up at auctions & car boots on my travels even today. It's an exciting field of interest to be in & one that beats a 9-5 office job (which I'm just not cut out for)!

I’ve met Karen at a fair in Staffordshire, bought a table off her. Lovely girl. I’ve also bought some Silver off Michael Baggott (the fat one off flog it) who deals in some very rare pieces and also from Styles silver at hungerford. He’s more into 20th century stuff which isn’t really my cup of tea, although I do have some Devlin stuff as it’s the modern day Storr or De Lamerie.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 18:11]

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

VE day on 18:47 - May 7 with 552 viewsDorsetIan

VE day on 17:17 - May 7 by 1885_SFC

Over the years I have learnt so much about the whole of WW2 - the weapons, field gear, insignia, basically everything 'material' that was used by the Allies. That's where the core of my business is - house clearances, antique/military fairs & car boots, etc - finding & locating treasures from the era. It's true what antique dealers say; 'you never stop learning in this game'. I know several dealers off the telly personally that you see on daytime TV, including the big Pompey fan John Cameron who runs Nesbits Auctions in Southsea & Pompey girl Karen Dalmeny. Then there's Henry Nicholls who runs a shop in Worthing. They contact me or I them if they find anything in my line or I meet up with them at Kempton racecourse antiques fair twice a month (well worth a visit if you're looking for something unique or interesting btw!).

Having spent 12-years at sea, I had all the time in the world to read books & have lost count of how many I have read. Not all war stories or military of course (I'm a big fan of Frederick Forsyth, Wilbur Smith & the horror genre too), but read many books about the war by many 'ordinary' people who fought in it. I have read much about the politics & campaigns of the war... but the one thing, above all else, that always intrigues me & fascinates me is the personal accounts of the ordinary men that fought in it. I guess I have a special particular interest in the air crews - especially the RAF and USAF long range bomber crews and the horrific missions many of them flew. I'm not sure why, but they hold a special place in my soul (without sounding over dramatic). I have owned many WW2 RAF flight logbooks over the years that make fascinating reading; entries from young lads who flew RAF bombing missions on the Fiat factory in Italy for example or industrial factories deep into Germany. They make far better reading than any military author could write!

I never tire of reading & learning about it - and I'm forever amazed at what still turns up at auctions & car boots on my travels even today. It's an exciting field of interest to be in & one that beats a 9-5 office job (which I'm just not cut out for)!

It does sound interesting and it's great that you've found a business that you are really passionate about - as you clearly are.

I guess one of the things we forget is just how young a lot of the service personnel were. Must have been absolutely petrifying stuck in a bomber on one of those flights.

Enjoy the day tomorrow.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

VE day on 18:49 - May 7 with 551 viewsDorsetIan

VE day on 16:44 - May 7 by saint68

Maiden Newton?

I'd tell you but I don't want Dune popping in for a cup of tea.

VE day on 18:57 - May 7 with 557 viewsVagina_Dentata

VE day on 18:06 - May 7 by TheMoog

We’re doing that in our road. Most houses have bunting out already and I’ll be collecting a crate of Shepherd Neame Spitifre in the morning to compliment the picnic. Might even get the medals and regimental tie out if I’m feeling particularly nostalgic.

We’re having a party at school with the kids that are in. They’ve been making bunting all week and we’re all going to wear union flag colours.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

VE day on 18:59 - May 7 with 550 viewssaint68

VE day on 18:49 - May 7 by DorsetIan

I'd tell you but I don't want Dune popping in for a cup of tea.

I live about 3 miles from there..nice part of the world

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

VE day on 19:35 - May 7 with 535 views1885_SFC

VE day on 17:59 - May 7 by Yarman

Great post 'sfc,' you are a lucky man to do this for a living... l have a big interest in WW2 and try to get Normandie as much as possible. Stayed in Colditz castle and went to Stalag luft 111 last year for the 75th anniversary of the Great escape, as well the D-day Celebrations.
Do you own a shop near a railway line by any chance?.

Good on you Yarman. Been to Normandie a few times now. It used to be a good place to purchase gear but with all the Yanks that visit there every year to commemorate D-Day and their fallen comrades, it's way too expensive now.

I think the shop you're on about is Allmark Collectables near St Denys. That's run & owned by Geoff who I know very well. Haven't seen him in months though because he's not too well (serious back injury). He's expensive - but plenty of people bring some wonderful stuff into his shop which he then tries to sell to me for a King's ransom!

I would love to do the Colditz Castle stay btw.

Old School is Cool

VE day on 19:40 - May 7 with 524 views1885_SFC

VE day on 18:08 - May 7 by Occasional_Showers

I’ve met Karen at a fair in Staffordshire, bought a table off her. Lovely girl. I’ve also bought some Silver off Michael Baggott (the fat one off flog it) who deals in some very rare pieces and also from Styles silver at hungerford. He’s more into 20th century stuff which isn’t really my cup of tea, although I do have some Devlin stuff as it’s the modern day Storr or De Lamerie.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 18:11]

Karen took over/inherited her dad's antique shop in Pompey. She obviously grew up learning a lot from her dad who I knew well. She sells indoors at the main grandstand at Kempton & often stalls out at Ford car boot.

Due to Covid, there are no fairs or Kempton for the foreseeable future - so we're all a bit buggered for the rest of the year!

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

VE day on 19:49 - May 7 with 511 views1885_SFC

VE day on 18:47 - May 7 by DorsetIan

It does sound interesting and it's great that you've found a business that you are really passionate about - as you clearly are.

I guess one of the things we forget is just how young a lot of the service personnel were. Must have been absolutely petrifying stuck in a bomber on one of those flights.

Enjoy the day tomorrow.

Cheers. I will.

Nowadays of course, there is the wonder of YouTube which is full of fascinating WW2 footage, photographs & films - much of it truly marvelous. I will probably spend a lot of the day watching that, drinking a cold beer, and raise my bottle to previous generations who took part. Funnily enough, it's been a couple of years since I watched it, so I might have to blow the dust off and get out my boxed set of Band of Brothers to binge watch!

Old School is Cool

VE day on 11:32 - May 8 with 449 viewsOccasional_Showers

That’s got the gazebo up and table arranged. On such occasions it reminds us all of the important things - One upmanship over the neighbours... and with my garden looking fabulous it’s in the bag.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

VE day on 11:37 - May 8 with 452 viewsPaninaro83

VE day on 18:57 - May 7 by Vagina_Dentata

We’re having a party at school with the kids that are in. They’ve been making bunting all week and we’re all going to wear union flag colours.

Make sure they don’t get mistaken for a junior national front rally

What a catalyst you turned out to be!

VE day on 11:58 - May 8 with 445 viewsSadoldgit

Lots of Union Jacks and bunting out in the village today.
11am 2 minutes silence
4pm Tea,cakes, picnics in front gardens
6pm raising a glass of bubbly to the veterans
9pm socially distanced communal rendition of We’ll Meet Again at the village crossroads if we are sober enough!
VE day on 12:07 - May 8 with 442 views1885_SFC

As it's VE Day, just a couple of my favourite images from both sides of the war that have always stayed with me.

First one is a German Home Front poster warning of British air raids. The wording translates to The Enemy Sees Your Light! Darken! and shows death atop an RAF bomber:

The second image epitomises the British perfectly. Taken by a Sgt Wilkes, it shows a British Bren gunner. A war-weary French woman pours a British soldier a cup of tea during the fighting following the Allied landings in Normandy. Lisieux, Calvados, Lower Normandy, France. 22 August 1944

Click on them for larger image. Enjoy the day all.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 12:14]

Old School is Cool

VE day (n/t) on 12:38 - May 8 with 426 viewsDellHero

[Post edited 9 May 2020 20:07]
VE day on 12:53 - May 8 with 414 viewsPaninaro83

VE day on 11:58 - May 8 by Sadoldgit

Lots of Union Jacks and bunting out in the village today.
11am 2 minutes silence
4pm Tea,cakes, picnics in front gardens
6pm raising a glass of bubbly to the veterans
9pm socially distanced communal rendition of We’ll Meet Again at the village crossroads if we are sober enough!

A wonderful way to celebrate xenophobia sad old git

It’s strange how so many who wanted to stay in the EU want to celebrate the historical killing of their fellow members

VE day on 13:44 - May 8 with 403 viewsSteveMoron

May 1945 wasn't even the end of WW2. In August 1945 the worse was yet to come.
VE day on 13:58 - May 8 with 392 viewscocklebreath

I was talking to an old boy the other day and said in the Southampton blitz in 1940 him and his mates went up the hill towards Nutley in Basingstoke to see the bombs landing in Southampton. 32000 bombs landed on our wonderful city

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

VE day on 13:59 - May 8 with 392 views1885_SFC

VE day on 13:44 - May 8 by SteveMoron

May 1945 wasn't even the end of WW2. In August 1945 the worse was yet to come.

Dear me. May was the end of the war in Europe - hence the 'VE' Victory in Europe motto - that is being remembered today. I'm sure you know this and you're just a WUM.

As regards the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki that you're eluding to; it's very easy for people like you to voice their distaste all these years on. The fact of the matter is though that the Yanks had already witnessed the horror and fanatical suicide attacks the Japanese threw at them as they fought their way up through the Pacific. The last thing the Americans wanted to do was have to invade the Japanese mainland itself & lose thousands of troops to fanatical people defending the country by any means possible. The bombs were dropped to avoid this. It was all about saving American lives - not Japanese. And who could blame the Yanks?

Except you.

Old School is Cool

VE day on 14:40 - May 8 with 373 viewsDorsetIan

VE day on 13:59 - May 8 by 1885_SFC

Dear me. May was the end of the war in Europe - hence the 'VE' Victory in Europe motto - that is being remembered today. I'm sure you know this and you're just a WUM.

As regards the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki that you're eluding to; it's very easy for people like you to voice their distaste all these years on. The fact of the matter is though that the Yanks had already witnessed the horror and fanatical suicide attacks the Japanese threw at them as they fought their way up through the Pacific. The last thing the Americans wanted to do was have to invade the Japanese mainland itself & lose thousands of troops to fanatical people defending the country by any means possible. The bombs were dropped to avoid this. It was all about saving American lives - not Japanese. And who could blame the Yanks?

Except you.

Isn’t it also true that the Americans had already bombed other Japanese cities to dust by conventional bombing prior to this, and that would just have continued had they not used the nuclear weapons? Was it Dakotas that they used?

I remember my father-in-law telling me that he had visited Tokyo when doing his national device as a navy doctor in the early 50s and that it was ‚an awful place‘. I made the mistake of pointing out that the Americans had carpet bombed it not long before, so it was hardly surprised. I think it was the only time he ever snapped my head off: ‚OF COURSE THEY DID!‘ . (We didn’t share too many political views!).

VE day on 14:49 - May 8 with 367 viewsYarman

VE day on 13:59 - May 8 by 1885_SFC

Except you.

This lack of knowledge in the younger generation is the result of the 60's hippies student teachers. who later in their careers determined what was taught in the school curriculum .
[Post edited 8 May 2020 14:51]
VE day on 14:54 - May 8 with 362 views1885_SFC

VE day on 14:40 - May 8 by DorsetIan

Isn’t it also true that the Americans had already bombed other Japanese cities to dust by conventional bombing prior to this, and that would just have continued had they not used the nuclear weapons? Was it Dakotas that they used?

I remember my father-in-law telling me that he had visited Tokyo when doing his national device as a navy doctor in the early 50s and that it was ‚an awful place‘. I made the mistake of pointing out that the Americans had carpet bombed it not long before, so it was hardly surprised. I think it was the only time he ever snapped my head off: ‚OF COURSE THEY DID!‘ . (We didn’t share too many political views!).

The Doolittle Raid was probably the most famous of the US attacks on Japan. They flew Mitchell bombers from a carrier (can't remember which one) even though the top brass said it couldn't be done with fully-laden bombs. Most bombed the Japanese mainland and then headed for for China where they ran out of fuel and crashed.

It was in retaliation for Pearl Harbour & was more of a morale boost for the American public back home. There is a film about it which reminds me - I haven't seen it in years - so thanks for reminding me!

Old School is Cool

VE day on 15:00 - May 8 with 357 views1885_SFC

VE day on 14:49 - May 8 by Yarman

This lack of knowledge in the younger generation is the result of the 60's hippies student teachers. who later in their careers determined what was taught in the school curriculum .
[Post edited 8 May 2020 14:51]

Very true. I was taught nothing at school about WW2 - nothing. I learnt all about Jesus, ancient Egypt, the Romans, Victorians, and how to make a wooden paper rack in woodwork... but nothing about WW2.

Old School is Cool

VE day on 15:20 - May 8 with 345 viewsSadoldgit

VE day on 12:53 - May 8 by Paninaro83

A wonderful way to celebrate xenophobia sad old git

It’s strange how so many who wanted to stay in the EU want to celebrate the historical killing of their fellow members

I am not celebrating killing anybody. I am celebrating the end of the killing. Not such a hard concept to understand surely? This was also the beginning of what has been a prolonged period of peace within the main European countries, another reason to be happy.
VE day on 15:41 - May 8 with 333 viewsbattler

VE day on 14:54 - May 8 by 1885_SFC

The Doolittle Raid was probably the most famous of the US attacks on Japan. They flew Mitchell bombers from a carrier (can't remember which one) even though the top brass said it couldn't be done with fully-laden bombs. Most bombed the Japanese mainland and then headed for for China where they ran out of fuel and crashed.

It was in retaliation for Pearl Harbour & was more of a morale boost for the American public back home. There is a film about it which reminds me - I haven't seen it in years - so thanks for reminding me!

They flew from the USS Hornet, watched a very good documentary about the Doolittle raid only last week.
On the programme they showed the last 3 surviving members of the raid. It was basically classed as a suicide mission as the odds of eventually returning back to the States safely was very high.
VE day on 15:55 - May 8 with 320 viewsPaninaro83

VE day on 15:20 - May 8 by Sadoldgit

I am not celebrating killing anybody. I am celebrating the end of the killing. Not such a hard concept to understand surely? This was also the beginning of what has been a prolonged period of peace within the main European countries, another reason to be happy.

Fair point. It’s great we can celebrate 5 years of killings to get to peace. The best way to do this is fly the British flag outside your house and do very British things. It’s what all loyal European citizens should be doing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024