Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? 12:21 - May 20 with 6942 viewsscooby

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597
[Post edited 20 May 2020 12:27]
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 19:07 - May 20 with 1918 viewsisitme

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 17:01 - May 20 by tony_roch975

looks like 20 is the limit for senior pros so scholars/even 1st Yr pros wouldn't be counted?

That is what I assumed as well. It would be interesting for the bigger clubs as they would not be able to just pay much bigger salaries across the board. I suspect some clubs in our league will be spending twice, enough three times more than the proposed cap. The onus on youth development is also a good one. As others have said a squad of 20 senior pros is not much considering two will be goalkeepers so there would be plenty of opportunities for younger players, especially if injuries take hold.
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 19:55 - May 20 with 1877 viewsShun

The salary cap’s a really good idea, although as fitzo says I think we need one in the two leagues above as well. Otherwise it makes it extremely difficult for a team to get promoted from League One and establish themselves in The Championship.

The squad limit though I think is really too stringent. 8 players have to be from the club’s own youth squad? We’d fare better than most in this respect but I would bet there are plenty of teams in this division who don’t have more than 1 or 2 players in their squad who qualify as homegrown. Meaning they’d have to promote youth players faster than they ordinarily would have done and realistically only have a squad of 12 professionals minus youth players.

In fact, looking at our current squad there are only Camps, Morley, Matheson, Gillam and Tavares who would qualify. And we’re well known for having one of the most productive youth squads around.
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 20:19 - May 20 with 1868 viewsblackdogblue

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 19:55 - May 20 by Shun

The salary cap’s a really good idea, although as fitzo says I think we need one in the two leagues above as well. Otherwise it makes it extremely difficult for a team to get promoted from League One and establish themselves in The Championship.

The squad limit though I think is really too stringent. 8 players have to be from the club’s own youth squad? We’d fare better than most in this respect but I would bet there are plenty of teams in this division who don’t have more than 1 or 2 players in their squad who qualify as homegrown. Meaning they’d have to promote youth players faster than they ordinarily would have done and realistically only have a squad of 12 professionals minus youth players.

In fact, looking at our current squad there are only Camps, Morley, Matheson, Gillam and Tavares who would qualify. And we’re well known for having one of the most productive youth squads around.

Dan Adshead (disappeared from news / mentions), Andy Cannon, Jamie Allen, Young Luke makes me wonder if there’s a loophole. 4 examples of home developed players can we have them back & claim they are ex-academy players???

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 08:55 - May 21 with 1790 viewsscooby

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 19:55 - May 20 by Shun

Home grown has a couple of meanings... there is club and national. apparently.

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/premier-league-home-grown-players-rule-how-does-
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 09:53 - May 21 with 1756 viewsNigeriamark

Agree with you and Fitzo on this. Its taken a virus to potential implement something that everyone already knew, that salaries in pro football are much too high. The Championship also seems to have the worst situation in terms of debt as half the teams spend massively banking on a windfall when they get to the Premiership. The EFL need to show some guts here and make it all 3 divisions that are under their control. They could also insist that Premier league clubs have a relegation clause in players contracts so that they have to take a cut if relegated to the Championship

Although the squad size seems stringent, over a few seasons it will become the norm & you could always allow emergency loans if long term injury issues to a number of players arise
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 10:31 - May 21 with 1731 viewsD_Alien

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 09:53 - May 21 by Nigeriamark

Agree with you and Fitzo on this. Its taken a virus to potential implement something that everyone already knew, that salaries in pro football are much too high. The Championship also seems to have the worst situation in terms of debt as half the teams spend massively banking on a windfall when they get to the Premiership. The EFL need to show some guts here and make it all 3 divisions that are under their control. They could also insist that Premier league clubs have a relegation clause in players contracts so that they have to take a cut if relegated to the Championship

Although the squad size seems stringent, over a few seasons it will become the norm & you could always allow emergency loans if long term injury issues to a number of players arise

A preferable solution to squad size imo would be 20 outfield players plus goalkeepers

That would bring it somewhere in line with the numbers that international teams take into tournaments lasting about a month. All within the salary cap
[Post edited 21 May 2020 10:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 10:57 - May 21 with 1704 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 10:31 - May 21 by D_Alien

A preferable solution to squad size imo would be 20 outfield players plus goalkeepers

That would bring it somewhere in line with the numbers that international teams take into tournaments lasting about a month. All within the salary cap

May as well just make it 22 pros per club, 2 per position (in theory). If a club has an injury crisis in a particular position then they can utilise the emergency loan system, obviously this would have to be monitored by the EFL to stop any abuses of it. I’m not sure about the home grown element, as said before it would be difficult for many clubs to get anywhere near the numbers required, however a possible upside to any salary cap could be that managers might be more inclined to take a chance on kids from their academies.
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 12:10 - May 21 with 1667 viewsD_Alien

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 10:57 - May 21 by Plattyswrinklynuts

May as well just make it 22 pros per club, 2 per position (in theory). If a club has an injury crisis in a particular position then they can utilise the emergency loan system, obviously this would have to be monitored by the EFL to stop any abuses of it. I’m not sure about the home grown element, as said before it would be difficult for many clubs to get anywhere near the numbers required, however a possible upside to any salary cap could be that managers might be more inclined to take a chance on kids from their academies.

Your point about the abuse of the loan system is pertinent. If a club feels that the addition of a loan keeper from a higher league would benefit their promotion push, having their regular pro keeper(s) acquiring "injuries" would be an advantage. Allowing greater flexibility with the 20+keepers squad size would mitigate this to some extent

Login to get fewer ads

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 13:19 - May 21 with 1626 viewsboromat

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 10:31 - May 21 by D_Alien

Ian Henderson GK
Callum Camps GK
Alby GK
McNulty GK
Dooley GK
Rathbone GK
etc etc

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 13:31 - May 21 with 1610 viewsmacro

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 13:44 - May 20 by fitzochris

There would have to be caps for all four pro divisions or else it just increases the disparity between the Championship and League One further still.

This would also lead to a huge reduction in professional footballers - I imagine this will be fought all the way. Good idea but probably not workable
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 14:23 - May 21 with 1592 viewsDalenet

The sentiment of the proposal is a good one especially to create a level playing field. But there will be all sorts of elements that allow a club to pay separately for coaching, community coaching, academy or the bigger clubs will just buy even more foreign talent.

For a club like ours this would allow us to operate within a budget that we could manage, But a bigger club like Sunderland would then create significant trading surpluses and I wonder what they'd do with that. Would it translate to a big cut in ticket pricing and make football more affordable at the bigger clubs in our division? We wouldn't be able to follow suit of course.

Still like the idea
Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 22:53 - May 21 with 1506 viewsFrog

They stopped appearance in golf but ended up paying players for exhibitions, clinics, group lessons etc. There's always a way round it.
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:53 - May 21 with 1506 viewsFrog

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 11:52 - May 22 with 1385 viewsAtThePeake

A good point from Jonathan Wilson on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast yesterday. He made the point that setting a cap to help protect the likes of Accrington is going to be different to a cap that would help protect a club like Sunderland in the same league who get 10x as many supporters through the gates.

Perhaps these caps should be weighted against income, although then I'm not sure they would be as easy to track and also wouldn't be different enough from the laughable Financial Fair Play rules already in place.

Tangled up in blue.

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 12:05 - May 22 with 1370 viewsD_Alien

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 11:52 - May 22 by AtThePeake

A good point from Jonathan Wilson on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast yesterday. He made the point that setting a cap to help protect the likes of Accrington is going to be different to a cap that would help protect a club like Sunderland in the same league who get 10x as many supporters through the gates.

Perhaps these caps should be weighted against income, although then I'm not sure they would be as easy to track and also wouldn't be different enough from the laughable Financial Fair Play rules already in place.

But it would also protect a club like Sunderland, as well as those majority of clubs whose existence is every bit as valuable to their local communities

Someone made the point on here that with their greater income via gate receipts, clubs like Sunderland would be running up large surpluses. Those surpluses would be needed if they were to be promoted to a higher division; and in order to do so, i don't see anything stopping them paying out bigger transfer fees to acquire players that other clubs in the division aren't able to afford. The cap is just on salaries. They could sign a squad of 20 players all on the maximum salary allowed, with contractual provision to move onto the maximum allowed in the higher division

The point is, there are still plenty of advantages for clubs like Sunderland, whilst providing a lifeline for the majority of clubs currently under continuous financial duress just to stay afloat, i.e. through no fault of their own

Salary cap, 20 1st team players to include 8 homegrown? on 23:18 - May 22 with 1247 viewsncfc_chalky

Neil Ardley has stated that any player negotiating a new contract can expect a 35-40% reduction on their salary,I'm not sure if any player will just be glad of a job and still sign or try elsewhere in what I'm presuming will be an overcrowded market

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024