Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chinaphobic? 20:07 - Jul 6 with 592 viewsChesham_Saint

I know we have a Chinese owner and he may or may not be a fit and proper person to run the club, but I like to think I’m open minded. So China, Covid and all that...might not be their fault.

Hong Kong? Not looking good... Possible bubonic plague next...could it get worse? And then I made the mistake of checking out the Yulin Dog Festival on Twitter. Just, WTF.

Still, at least Oxford won tonight,,,

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Chinaphobic? on 20:26 - Jul 6 with 562 viewsDorsetIan

This site has gone soft. A few weeks back and you couldn't start a post like that without referring to bats and 'the 'backward Chinese'. Far too measured, Chesham.

(I wonder whether Dune's takeaway boycott ever got off the ground?...)

I made the mistake of reading about the Great Famine and the Cultural Revolution the other day. Grim grim grim.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Chinaphobic? on 08:33 - Jul 7 with 459 viewskernow

Wild Swans and the biography of Mao by Jung Chiang are interesting but harrowing accounts of the Communist takeover and Cultural Revolution.
Incredible that even though the lives of millions have improved beyond recognition, they still rule with an iron grip and Mao is still a figure of reverance.
Crimes on a scale that exceed Hitler's.
Chinaphobic? on 09:36 - Jul 7 with 428 viewsSaintNick

Chinaphobic? on 08:33 - Jul 7 by kernow

Wild Swans and the biography of Mao by Jung Chiang are interesting but harrowing accounts of the Communist takeover and Cultural Revolution.
Incredible that even though the lives of millions have improved beyond recognition, they still rule with an iron grip and Mao is still a figure of reverance.
Crimes on a scale that exceed Hitler's.

When I went to China a couple of years ago it was a strange experience, the people seemed happy with their lot and didn't act like they were repressed, an ex pat in a bar told me that for the average chinese person as long as they were happy to accept the situation and the fact that they didn't have freedom of speech etc then life was fine for them.

Shanghai was very cosmopolitan in the centre and sprawled out for 40-50 miles, Beijing was touristy and the place we stopped in between was a city of £1 million people with new building still being built.

But outside of this it is different but I can't comment.

Shanghai could have been New York, you saw little evidence of oppression of the authorities, Beijing was a little different, possibly because o the number of government buildings there were a lot more soldiers.

There was a lot of poverty but also a lot of wealth

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024