Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank god the french do what the french do 06:36 - Aug 14 with 5532 viewsSoton

By bringing in titfortat measures they are helping protect Britain in our fight against COVID-19
Thank god the french do what the french do on 11:50 - Aug 17 with 1066 viewsChesham_Saint

Thank god the french do what the french do on 12:49 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

I’m sure they don’t, but in those days the area we know as France was divided up into many factions. There would have been “French” on those boats as well as soldiers of Norse and Germanic origins. When you are getting stuck with the pointy end of something I doubt if you worry too much about the ethnicity of who is on the other end of the stick, but I believe the new aristocracy spoke French here for some time after the invasion and we class Normandy as being a part of France do we not?

Is Bonapart regarded as being “evil” in the same way that Hitler is? All great men throughout history have pictures and statues of themselves all over the place. Bonapart is no different to the rest.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 13:08]

Not so. Normans were Norman and proud of it. I’m beginning to think history isn’t your strongest suit, Soggs.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Thank god the french do what the french do on 19:27 - Aug 17 with 1038 viewskernow

Thank god the french do what the french do on 08:43 - Aug 17 by arfurdent

all ready in planning stage. When Trump wins he will do a Putin and become President for life:

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/07/trump-rushmore.jpeg?qualit

Shouldn't be too long then .
Thank god the french do what the french do on 21:40 - Aug 17 with 1010 viewsgrumpy

Thank god the french do what the french do on 11:53 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

Apart from playing a part in the French Revolution, becoming an Emporer from a lovely rank and making France into a major force in Europe, what did Napoleon Bonaparte ever do for the French? We became a global power under Victoria (whom we still venerate the way that the French do NP) but it was done with the power of our navy and army. I don’t think you can compare Bonaparte with Hitler.

I also don’t think we can feel superior to them considering that the Normans kicked our arses in 1066 and changed the culture here forever.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 11:55]

I've read quite a bit on 1066 and it was very nearly a victory for Harold,so I wouldn't go as far as to say he'kicked our arses',
Harold had just beaten the Vikings at Stamford Bridge when he heard of the Norman Invasion,he marched his men down to the coast,a considerable distance and engaged the Normans.
Harold was inflicting considerable damage on the Normans when part of Harolds army broke ranks to chase fleeing Normans.The Normans cut these men off with the help of their cavalry.
The battle raged for most of the day and only came to an end when Harold was cut down,which was not a easy task as he was protected by his Housecarls who were formidable warriors who could bring down a horse with their axes.
The mistake Harold made was he should have fortified a defensive position some distance from the Normans and waited for reinforcements.So, the Normans were very lucky they didn't get driven back to France.
Normandy was named after the people from the north ie The Vikings 'Northmen'..
Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:15 - Aug 17 with 995 viewsDellHero_Would

Normandy was named after the people from the north ie The Vikings 'Northmen..

King Rollo...If you get chance visit Alesund and the surrounding islands... I spent a month last year travelling in Norway, wonderful country, £65 for burger and chips though :)

Poll: Wearing a mask

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:29 - Aug 17 with 979 viewskernow

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:15 - Aug 17 by DellHero_Would

Normandy was named after the people from the north ie The Vikings 'Northmen..

King Rollo...If you get chance visit Alesund and the surrounding islands... I spent a month last year travelling in Norway, wonderful country, £65 for burger and chips though :)

Pint of beer £500 and your right forearm.
Thank god the french do what the french do on 05:28 - Aug 19 with 909 viewsRon11

Thank god the french do what the french do on 21:40 - Aug 17 by grumpy

I've read quite a bit on 1066 and it was very nearly a victory for Harold,so I wouldn't go as far as to say he'kicked our arses',
Harold had just beaten the Vikings at Stamford Bridge when he heard of the Norman Invasion,he marched his men down to the coast,a considerable distance and engaged the Normans.
Harold was inflicting considerable damage on the Normans when part of Harolds army broke ranks to chase fleeing Normans.The Normans cut these men off with the help of their cavalry.
The battle raged for most of the day and only came to an end when Harold was cut down,which was not a easy task as he was protected by his Housecarls who were formidable warriors who could bring down a horse with their axes.
The mistake Harold made was he should have fortified a defensive position some distance from the Normans and waited for reinforcements.So, the Normans were very lucky they didn't get driven back to France.
Normandy was named after the people from the north ie The Vikings 'Northmen'..

Facts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024