Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP 16:07 - Oct 30 with 2487 viewsBigKindo

Nobby Stiles
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 20:48]
RIP Nobby Stiles on 16:19 - Oct 30 with 2462 viewsSuddenLad

Who will ever forget that player who was skipping around Wembley like a kid, holding the World Cup in his hand, socks rolled down and with a huge toothless grin. Fabulous memories of a fabulous player.

Blighted by serious illness for his final few years, but a great player who will be remembered by millions.

RIP Nobby. You will be fondly remembered and greatly missed.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

RIP Nobby Stiles on 16:25 - Oct 30 with 2446 viewsDaleiLama

RIP Nobby Stiles on 16:19 - Oct 30 by SuddenLad

Who will ever forget that player who was skipping around Wembley like a kid, holding the World Cup in his hand, socks rolled down and with a huge toothless grin. Fabulous memories of a fabulous player.

Blighted by serious illness for his final few years, but a great player who will be remembered by millions.

RIP Nobby. You will be fondly remembered and greatly missed.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

RIP on 18:34 - Oct 30 with 2324 viewsBillyRudd

Saddened to hear this news.
In the early sixties we went on a school trip to Old Trafford. I remember very little of the day but do recall that bizarrely we were allowed into the treatment rooms.
Lo and behold Nobby was there lying on his back with his arms behind his head. As we raggedy -ar-ed bunch shuffled round the bed to have him surrounded he engaged in conversation with us as we stood open mouthed and dumb struck in reverence.
Even today all these years later I can,t quite believed it happened. Imagine it happening today.
A few years later (before I found my true vocation)I used to get a Yelloway bus to Old Trafford and pay on the day into the Stretford Paddock and watched him play a few times. Football had a real atmosphere in those days.
Thanks for the memories Nobby and double thanks for taking time to talk to a bunch of snotty nosed kids.
RIP on 18:50 - Oct 30 with 2298 viewsYadHoDale

Great player and character.

Thoughts with his family, in particular his son John who had a few games for Dale.
RIP on 18:54 - Oct 30 with 2291 viewspioneer

lets spell his name right please

RIP Nobby Stiles
RIP on 18:54 - Oct 30 with 2292 viewstruenorth

RIP on 18:34 - Oct 30 by BillyRudd

Saddened to hear this news.
In the early sixties we went on a school trip to Old Trafford. I remember very little of the day but do recall that bizarrely we were allowed into the treatment rooms.
Lo and behold Nobby was there lying on his back with his arms behind his head. As we raggedy -ar-ed bunch shuffled round the bed to have him surrounded he engaged in conversation with us as we stood open mouthed and dumb struck in reverence.
Even today all these years later I can,t quite believed it happened. Imagine it happening today.
A few years later (before I found my true vocation)I used to get a Yelloway bus to Old Trafford and pay on the day into the Stretford Paddock and watched him play a few times. Football had a real atmosphere in those days.
Thanks for the memories Nobby and double thanks for taking time to talk to a bunch of snotty nosed kids.

You've not changed a bit Billy R.

Poll: BBM or relegation?

RIP on 18:56 - Oct 30 with 2288 viewsBillyRudd

RIP on 18:54 - Oct 30 by truenorth

You've not changed a bit Billy R.

Cruel but fair.
RIP on 19:17 - Oct 30 with 2262 viewsEllDale

Far better footballer than a lot of people gave him credit for. Someone like Matt Busby wouldn’t have kept selecting him for so long if he was just a thug.
Mind you, I’m not sure how long he would have lasted these days.
When I used to commute to Manchester on the bus a few years ago a notable landmark in Collyhurst was his dad’s undertaking business.
He used to joke that some of the clumsy mistimed tackles were as a result of his shortsightedness!
Login to get fewer ads

RIP on 19:34 - Oct 30 with 2244 viewsblackdogblue

RIP on 19:17 - Oct 30 by EllDale

Far better footballer than a lot of people gave him credit for. Someone like Matt Busby wouldn’t have kept selecting him for so long if he was just a thug.
Mind you, I’m not sure how long he would have lasted these days.
When I used to commute to Manchester on the bus a few years ago a notable landmark in Collyhurst was his dad’s undertaking business.
He used to joke that some of the clumsy mistimed tackles were as a result of his shortsightedness!

Watched it on the news tonight, some great clips & I’m sure he decked someone 😀

RIP to a legend 😇👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

RIP on 20:19 - Oct 30 with 2203 viewsD_Alien

Saddened to hear this, but it was a long time coming due to his ill health

He was the type of enforcer you needed in your team in the 60s. Every successful side had one, the likes of Tommy Smith at Liverpool, Norman Hunter at Leeds, Ron Harris at Chelsea

Nobby was the best of the lot. As others have said, he could really play too, and Alf Ramsey had him pencilled in when he envisaged our World Cup triumph

One of the abiding memories is his refusal to be intimidated when Man United took on Estudiantes, a team of absolute villains from Argentina in the equivalent of the World Club Championship (and bearing in mind the recent history of games against Argentinian opponents, i.e the World Cup QF). United's stars such as Best and Charlton were mercilessly targeted and the challenges were not just career-threatening but life-threatening. The ref was weak, and possibly nobbled. Well, he nobbled Nobby, who tried to fight fire with fire and was sent off. United were of course, the far superior football team but lost over the two legs

It's the type of football we just wouldn't see nowadays, but Nobby's performances for club and country will always be remembered. RIP
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 20:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP on 20:30 - Oct 30 with 2171 viewsSuddenLad

Savage stuff. I remember it well.

https://theunitedstand.com/articles/single/classic-match-1968-manchester-united-

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

RIP on 20:30 - Oct 30 with 2172 viewsantmarina

Didn’t his son, John play for us for a few matches at the end of one season on loan from Doncaster if I remember rightly. I’m unsure TVOS will correct me if I’m wrong.

Rip Nobby,
RIP on 20:48 - Oct 30 with 2137 viewsBigKindo

RIP on 20:30 - Oct 30 by antmarina

Didn’t his son, John play for us for a few matches at the end of one season on loan from Doncaster if I remember rightly. I’m unsure TVOS will correct me if I’m wrong.

Rip Nobby,

4 games on loan from Donny season 1991/1992
RIP on 20:55 - Oct 30 with 2127 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Very sad . A true football legend. Brilliant defensive midfielder. Bad couple of days with the sad death of Bobby Ball. Two Northern icons, who were top of their professions.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

RIP on 22:44 - Oct 30 with 2062 viewsDiddyDave

Great memories of Nobby and that top United side of the 60s. I followed United in those years and saw some fantastic,memorable games against the other top teams of the day;Liverpool,Everton,Spurs,Leeds and City.
Nobby played his part in England winning the World Cup in no small measure,played Eusebio out of the game in the semi final and ran his socks off in the final. United would never have won the Championship in 1966/67 without him,constantly covering for the aging Billy Foulkes,Nobby`s amazing anticipation always had him in the right place at the right time. As has been noted,the game was very physical in those days,Nobby certainly didn`t take any prisoners,that`s for sure. Fantastic memories Nobby. RIP.
RIP on 10:48 - Oct 31 with 1956 viewsVespaDale

RIP on 20:30 - Oct 30 by antmarina

Rip Nobby,

I remember getting his son a yellow card away at Barnet or Colchester (old style ground down the side of the pitch we were), you was very close to the pitch & the winger kept skinning him. I shouted put him in the stands, crunch the c**t. Next time he came he lifted him off the pitch and got a yellow. Just like his dad used to do...
RIP on 11:09 - Oct 31 with 1935 viewsD_Alien

RIP on 10:48 - Oct 31 by VespaDale

I remember getting his son a yellow card away at Barnet or Colchester (old style ground down the side of the pitch we were), you was very close to the pitch & the winger kept skinning him. I shouted put him in the stands, crunch the c**t. Next time he came he lifted him off the pitch and got a yellow. Just like his dad used to do...

Get what you mean, but Nobby never received a yellow card

They weren't introduced in England till 1976, after his playing career had ended

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP on 11:09 - Oct 31 with 1933 views442Dale

RIP on 10:48 - Oct 31 by VespaDale

It’ll have been Barnet in 91/92. He’d just signed along with Leonard.
Aldershot had gone bust so we’d gone to Barnet above them in the table as they lost six points from two wins while we’d only drawn the once. This meant we had a real chance of automatic promotion.

Dave Sutton changed the team around for no reason and it all started to go downhill culminating in missing the play-offs entirely with defeat against Burnley in the last game after everyone else had finished their season.

Always think of Sutton and that season when hearing the name Nobby Stiles.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

RIP on 12:44 - Oct 31 with 1871 viewsforeverhopefulDale

RIP on 22:44 - Oct 30 by DiddyDave

Great memories of Nobby and that top United side of the 60s. I followed United in those years and saw some fantastic,memorable games against the other top teams of the day;Liverpool,Everton,Spurs,Leeds and City.
Nobby played his part in England winning the World Cup in no small measure,played Eusebio out of the game in the semi final and ran his socks off in the final. United would never have won the Championship in 1966/67 without him,constantly covering for the aging Billy Foulkes,Nobby`s amazing anticipation always had him in the right place at the right time. As has been noted,the game was very physical in those days,Nobby certainly didn`t take any prisoners,that`s for sure. Fantastic memories Nobby. RIP.

Things were better in the top flight for neutrals as there were more teams that were in a genuine hunt for the title, in those days. I can’t remember when the top flight had more than two or three who had a real chance of winning the title, but in those days and possibly up until the Premiership era there was six or seven with genuine chances, even when you had the great Liverpool team, who never really walked away with the title, but had a number of teams being competitive with them.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

RIP on 15:01 - Oct 31 with 1813 viewsregjenkins

R.I.P. legend.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

RIP on 19:59 - Oct 31 with 1749 viewsdownunder

Another legend passes, Sean Connery, at the age of 90.
Edit...Apologies, I now find it has been posted already.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 20:01]
RIP on 15:27 - Nov 6 with 1546 viewsDaleiLama

Geoffrey Palmer the latest to pass away aged 93. 2020 lays another egg.

Bit of a c0ck-up on the catering front.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024