Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints tactics 10:01 - Nov 9 with 1830 viewsSalisburySaint

Great article on the subtle changes to our style which have got us to were we are at the moment.

Wonder how long before opponents counter our current tactics

https://www.prostinternational.com/2020/11/08/changing-tempos-opposition-coaxing
Saints tactics on 10:54 - Nov 9 with 1792 viewssaint22

Very good indeed
What I would say is if we keep playing that way confidently it’s very hard to beat it
Saints tactics on 12:08 - Nov 9 with 1730 viewsPaleRider

Thanks for this - a really intelligent article
Saints tactics on 13:57 - Nov 9 with 1650 viewscocklebreath

Good article, watching it on telly scares the sh!t out of me, 2nd half Friday night I was shouting welly it but they can play it out now and it’s really impressive. Brave football long may it continue

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Saints tactics on 14:01 - Nov 9 with 1648 viewsSadoldgit

It’s great when it works! Coaches will eventually work out how to deal with it as they do all systems, so let’s enjoy it while we can!
Saints tactics on 14:09 - Nov 9 with 1635 viewsChesham_Saint

Saints tactics on 14:01 - Nov 9 by Sadoldgit

It’s great when it works! Coaches will eventually work out how to deal with it as they do all systems, so let’s enjoy it while we can!

More to the point Sogs, the big test for Ralph is if he is worked out will he develop a plan B?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Saints tactics on 14:15 - Nov 9 with 1626 viewsBison

Interesting that it says Ralph is directing the tempo from the sidelines with his slow slow quick commands that would be a bit more difficult in a packed stadium. Also you know that occasionally this will go wrong and we may concede some soft goals but if that means that overall we win more games then that's fine by me.

Looks like the 2 footed Vestagard is the key to this at the moment.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Saints tactics on 14:27 - Nov 9 with 1618 viewsSadoldgit

Saints tactics on 14:15 - Nov 9 by Bison

Interesting that it says Ralph is directing the tempo from the sidelines with his slow slow quick commands that would be a bit more difficult in a packed stadium. Also you know that occasionally this will go wrong and we may concede some soft goals but if that means that overall we win more games then that's fine by me.

Looks like the 2 footed Vestagard is the key to this at the moment.

The two footed Vestergaard sounds like some mythical beast! 😂
Saints tactics on 14:43 - Nov 9 with 1608 viewsTimSaint

Saints tactics on 14:09 - Nov 9 by Chesham_Saint

More to the point Sogs, the big test for Ralph is if he is worked out will he develop a plan B?

Considering some of the players we have, I am surprised that this has been so effective - but then I suppose Hojbjerg was one of the main culprits of giving the ball away.

I don't think there is a Plan B just yet, other than shove Long or Oba up top, play the same way and wait to see if anything happens.

Against Palace in the first game of the season, with not much time left, we were still passing it around with slow build ups, playing into Palace's hands, winding down the clock. There was no urgency, or change of tactics and I said at the time that we should hoof it or try something different, as what we were doing wasn't working. It was as if they weren't allowed to try anything, even though we were losing and were running out of time to get a draw, let alone win the game.

I know that was the first game of the season and we were perhaps a little rusty - and we have since come back to get a creditable draw v Chelsea, but I am sure we will need a Plan B sometime soon. Likewise when we are in front, there is a huge tendency to sit back - which is probably natural, as over the last couple of seasons, we are used to hanging on for points for our Prem Lives !!

I'm sure we will come good. In Ralf I trust !! :-)

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

Saints tactics on 15:07 - Nov 9 with 1585 viewspjt50

Good article, thanks. I haven't come across this site before. Some of the earlier Saints' articles are well worth reading too.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Saints tactics on 09:32 - Nov 10 with 1403 viewsNumber_58

I do think this subject overlaps a little with the one about Saints benefitting from no crowds. Let's face it, if the crowd start getting panicky when we're passing it around our own penalty area it's going to filter down to the players. The other thing to accept is that there will be the occasional cock-up playing this way and we will inevitably concede a cheap goal at some point. it's happened to virtually all the teams who play this way. But at least there won't be any fans in the ground to ironically jeer the poor sod who gives the goal away.
Saints tactics on 12:06 - Nov 10 with 1352 viewsChesham_Saint

Saints tactics on 09:32 - Nov 10 by Number_58

I do think this subject overlaps a little with the one about Saints benefitting from no crowds. Let's face it, if the crowd start getting panicky when we're passing it around our own penalty area it's going to filter down to the players. The other thing to accept is that there will be the occasional cock-up playing this way and we will inevitably concede a cheap goal at some point. it's happened to virtually all the teams who play this way. But at least there won't be any fans in the ground to ironically jeer the poor sod who gives the goal away.

My experience of West Ham and Tottenham fans when playing at home (when I’ve been in their home sections) is that they can dwarf our impatience and any negativity. I’ve heard them give horrendous abuse to their own players and I’d bet this happens at many clubs....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Saints tactics on 16:38 - Nov 12 with 1240 viewsBerber

An interesting analysis, and one that may not have been so easy to clarify if there were full stadiums drowning out the manager's instructions. When Guardiola was at Barcelona, I was really impressed with the hard work that top players put into what is now termed "the press". They also worked hard at giving the player on the ball plenty of options.

Brendan Rogers (whose smug self congratulations get up my nose) used the same approach at Swansea, Liverpool (initially) and Leicester (how easy they found it in the 0-9 game).

It is great that at Southampton, we can actually see tactics in operation, which was sadly missing when Mark Hughes was coach, and which Steve Bruce seems to have no grasp of other than subbing an extra defensive player later on in games, or going long with Andy Carol,
Saints tactics on 09:21 - Nov 19 with 1091 viewsBison

Saints tactics on 16:38 - Nov 12 by Berber

An interesting analysis, and one that may not have been so easy to clarify if there were full stadiums drowning out the manager's instructions. When Guardiola was at Barcelona, I was really impressed with the hard work that top players put into what is now termed "the press". They also worked hard at giving the player on the ball plenty of options.

Brendan Rogers (whose smug self congratulations get up my nose) used the same approach at Swansea, Liverpool (initially) and Leicester (how easy they found it in the 0-9 game).

It is great that at Southampton, we can actually see tactics in operation, which was sadly missing when Mark Hughes was coach, and which Steve Bruce seems to have no grasp of other than subbing an extra defensive player later on in games, or going long with Andy Carol,

Good little video

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024