Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane Long On 21:37 - Nov 23 with 1353 viewsRon11

Djenepo giving the ball away far too much.
Shane Long On on 21:59 - Nov 23 with 1324 viewsdirk_doone

I don't see the point of bringing Long on any more. I'd rather have seen N'Lundulu given a chance. At least he might score.

As for giving possession away, no one does that more than Long.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 22:00]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Shane Long On on 22:20 - Nov 23 with 1288 viewsMytchettSaint

Shane Long On on 21:59 - Nov 23 by dirk_doone

I don't see the point of bringing Long on any more. I'd rather have seen N'Lundulu given a chance. At least he might score.

Agree, Long shouldn’t really be anywhere near the first team squad now.
I will hold my hands up and say Walcott is making me eat my words at the moment. Very impressed with his work rate. I hope he keeps it up. He’ll prove a great addition if he does. I know many of you on here thought he was worth the punt. I’m happy to be proved wrong so far.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Shane Long On on 00:11 - Nov 24 with 1233 viewsRon11

Shane Long On on 21:59 - Nov 23 by dirk_doone

Well yes, N'Lundulu/Tella need to be out there more than Shane Long.
I think there's a good player in Djenepo, but he looks a little out of his depth at the moment.
Shane Long On on 08:55 - Nov 24 with 1178 viewsSaintNick

Shane Long On on 00:11 - Nov 24 by Ron11

Well yes, N'Lundulu/Tella need to be out there more than Shane Long.
I think there's a good player in Djenepo, but he looks a little out of his depth at the moment.

So lets get a couple of points right here, firstly Long does give the ball away a lot, but that is the nature of the position he is usually brought on to play these days and that is to scrap for the ball up front when we are under pressure, that means he is often chasing lost causes, he his to try and hold the ball up on his own with no support and try and draw fouls so we can get up the pitch, he often has only one or no options to pass the ball short to and has to knock it in the corner and chase it himself again often a losing battle but wastes time.

It is a job that needs an experienced head and one he does well and knows where to make the runs into to get the ball, teams don't just hoof it they aim for certain areas from certain positions, Long has to now where they are going to put it.

With no disrespect to either Tella or N Lundulu they do not have that experience and do be blunt we don't know whether they are that sort of player,

Nathan Tella's Premier league career so far is 4 sub appearances totalling 49 minutes, at least he has some experience but it is as a winger not in the position that Long is based to play and that is up front and trying to get the ball and hold it up.

N Lundulu has just 1 sub appearance to his name 1 minute at the end against Everton.

Both re promising youngsters, but this was not a job that they either knew how to play nor suited their game, those saying that they should have been brought on aren't looking at the bigger picture just saying they have speed and promise.

If either had came on and barely touched the ball and Wolves had got possession off them run at us and scored they would now be getting dogs abuse.

Last night needed an experienced sub who could help run the game down it was a man's job and a man did it

As Ron said Djenepo is a little out of his depth, that is because he isn't sure what runs he needs to make when he doesn't have the ball, but he does have some experience, if we had brought Tell or N Lundulu on they would be in the same boat, not quite sure what their job is

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Shane Long On on 09:21 - Nov 24 with 1151 viewsSonicBoom

I agree. Long did what he had to do. I think though there is no getting away from the fact that Long is now getting an awful lot of money (60 grand a week?) to play the occasional 10 minutes of football. That is mental and I wonder if that actually makes Shane Long a luxury player these days !
Not sure what's happened to Djenpo. When he arrived he had this kind of free spirit approach when no one really knew what he was going to do. Ralph has obviously coached him and whilst he does look more disciplined defensively and helps Bertrand more, he has definitely lost something going forwards.
Shane Long On on 10:42 - Nov 24 with 1111 viewsdirk_doone

Sorry, I disagree. Long used to do the job you describe BUT he doesn't do it any more. Long coming on as a sub for us while Neto came on as a sub for Wolves turned the game very much in their favour. Long doesn't win the ball any more and even when it is passed to him, he loses it.

As for winning possession, in his seven appearances so far this season he has made a grand total of 1 tackle but he has given away 3 free-kicks. He is very effective at stopping his own team's attacks. In fact, he sets up more attacks for the opposition than he does for us. He is a liability nowadays.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 10:54]

Shane Long On on 10:57 - Nov 24 with 1092 viewsSaintNick

Shane Long On on 10:42 - Nov 24 by dirk_doone

Sorry, I disagree. Long used to do the job you describe BUT he doesn't do it any more. Long coming on as a sub for us while Neto came on as a sub for Wolves turned the game very much in their favour. Long doesn't win the ball any more and even when it is passed to him, he loses it.

As for winning possession, in his seven appearances so far this season he has made a grand total of 1 tackle but he has given away 3 free-kicks. He is very effective at stopping his own team's attacks. In fact, he sets up more attacks for the opposition than he does for us. He is a liability nowadays.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 10:54]

Sorry Dirk but I think you are not basing that opinion on anything concrete.

In the League this season, Long has only played as a sub 7 times, in 5 of those games it has only been the last 5 minutes in the other 2 Tottenham & Wolves it has been 10 mins.

He is not coming on to create attacks, he is coming on to close out games and run the time down, he is here to relieve the pressure, in only two of his games have the opposition scored after he came on, Spurs when we were already 4-1 down and it ended 5- & Villa and none of the goals were down to his failings.

In two of the games West Brom & Everton we ran the clock down without giving them a sniff and I think Long even had a header well saved by Pickford.

So to say he creates more for the opposition is just plain untrue

The stats show he is not a liability

Shane Long On on 11:00 - Nov 24 with 1090 viewsdirk_doone

Shane Long On on 10:57 - Nov 24 by SaintNick

Sorry Dirk but I think you are not basing that opinion on anything concrete.

In the League this season, Long has only played as a sub 7 times, in 5 of those games it has only been the last 5 minutes in the other 2 Tottenham & Wolves it has been 10 mins.

He is not coming on to create attacks, he is coming on to close out games and run the time down, he is here to relieve the pressure, in only two of his games have the opposition scored after he came on, Spurs when we were already 4-1 down and it ended 5- & Villa and none of the goals were down to his failings.

In two of the games West Brom & Everton we ran the clock down without giving them a sniff and I think Long even had a header well saved by Pickford.

So to say he creates more for the opposition is just plain untrue

The stats show he is not a liability

I am, in fact, basing it on the official Premier League stats, whereas you are just giving your personal opinion.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3206/Shane-Long/stats?co=1&se=363

I used to think that when Long came on as a sub, he could help us defend from the front because he could sometimes win a race for the ball but he doesn't any more. He is no longer good enough for this level. It happens to every player in the end. It's time to give a younger player like N'Lundulu a chance.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 11:05]

Login to get fewer ads

Shane Long On on 11:12 - Nov 24 with 1069 viewsSaintNick

Shane Long On on 11:00 - Nov 24 by dirk_doone

I am, in fact, basing it on the official Premier League stats, whereas you are just giving your personal opinion.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3206/Shane-Long/stats?co=1&se=363

I used to think that when Long came on as a sub, he could help us defend from the front because he could sometimes win a race for the ball but he doesn't any more. He is no longer good enough for this level. It happens to every player in the end. It's time to give a younger player like N'Lundulu a chance.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 11:05]

I am not denying that Long is nearing the end of his career, but the Premier League stats you give the link to show nothing other than he has made 21 passes, they dont say how many were completed or intercepted.

You seem to think that Long's job in the team is to create chances and change games, you are not understanding his role in the squad, it is the exact opposite, it is to run down the clock .

If we had been 1-0 down in the final minutes then we would have thrown on Tella or N Lundulu ahead of Long, but we weren't we were a team already under the cosh, the aim was to hold what we had not try and risk it by going hell for leather with players who haven't yet got the positional play.

Shane Long On on 11:17 - Nov 24 with 1065 viewsdirk_doone

Shane Long On on 11:12 - Nov 24 by SaintNick

I am not denying that Long is nearing the end of his career, but the Premier League stats you give the link to show nothing other than he has made 21 passes, they dont say how many were completed or intercepted.

You seem to think that Long's job in the team is to create chances and change games, you are not understanding his role in the squad, it is the exact opposite, it is to run down the clock .

If we had been 1-0 down in the final minutes then we would have thrown on Tella or N Lundulu ahead of Long, but we weren't we were a team already under the cosh, the aim was to hold what we had not try and risk it by going hell for leather with players who haven't yet got the positional play.

"Show nothing other"???? The Premier League stats clearly show exactly what I said: that in 7 appearances he has made just 1 tackle and given away 3 free-kicks. To pretend that they don't looks pretty desperate.

I'm not the only fan who used to think it was OK when Long came on as a sub but now thinks, oh no, we're going to struggle now.

Even Wayne Rooney ended up playing in the Championship when he was no longer good enough for the Premier League and that is where Long should go in January, when he is 34. Some players , like goalkeepers, central defenders and big centre forwards can still get by in their mid thirties but small forwards who rely on their pace can't.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 11:26]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024